Tiger vs. Phil in "The Match." **MERGED**

Comments

• tw_focustw_focus Members Posts: 279 ✭✭
    $20 to see the greatest golfer of all time for an entire round with no interruptions is absolutely worth it. Phil is no longer the golfer he once was, but he can still hit great recovery shots, hopefully we'll get to see some crazy plays like his backward bunker shot. But really the $20 is to see TW. You'll get to hear every word he says, see every swing preparation, it could really improve observers' game if they watch closely and learn from the experience.

It looks like it will be streamed on "Bleacher Report" as well, so I'll definitely be buying and watching.
  • Tim SchochTim Schoch Swing like it already happened. ClubWRX Posts: 1,066 ClubWRX
    Once again, Hank Haney is hammering his promotion of this match. Knowing him as the biggest and most shameless pitch man on Sirius/XM, he must have some money tied up in this.

This, to me, is not a pay-for, edge-of-your-seat live event. It's something you might catch on repeat if there's no football on or you're babysitting some brats.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
    - Groucho Marx

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]WIMB[/font]
    PING G30 SF Tec 10* reg graphite
    TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX reg graphite
    Adams Idea A12 #4 Hybrid 21* VTS Proforce reg graphite
    PING G25 5-L, graphite reg
    Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #1
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X, midsize Winn Dri-Tac grips
    [/font][/font]
  • SuperbritSuperbrit Members Posts: 461 ✭✭
    Probably charge us double that in the UK

i would have bought it as well if Tiger was playing Sergio, Lefty.. not so much
  • TheGulagTheGulag Members Posts: 164 ✭✭
    Anyone going to take bets that some shots get doctored up for TV? Either a foot wedge or rehitting to make things more interesting? I mean no crowd to say otherwise and with all the money on the line, you know they are going to manufacture some drama into it sadly.
    tatertot wrote:

Bad day ... Like an arm fell off on the range and he decided to tough it out?
  • creeksidegolfcreeksidegolf ClubWRX Posts: 27 ✭✭
    I get some people not wanting to see it. However, if you are a lifelong Tiger fan and do not like Phil or if it's the other way around, then maybe you have a keen interest in seeing this.
  • sshoe9sshoe9 Members Posts: 257 ✭✭
    Did anyone else catch Phil during the NBA game on TNT last night?

I was flipping through the channels and saw the Nuggets playing the Lakers at Staples. I guess Phil was attending the game, so they brought him over to the announcers' table to do some commentary and talk about the upcoming match. He was great! He could easily be an announcer if he ever wanted to go that route after he's done playing, in my opinion.

As for the match, he talked about goading Tiger into a $50,000 side bet whenever he has a downhill putt so that he'll press to make it more and potentially run it by a lot further if he misses. He also talked about trash-talking on Tour; how it's not as direct as the NBA, but more subtle with comments like, "I've seen everyone miss that one low...", etc.

I have to say, I didn't start out a big Phil fan, but he's really grown on me over the years. I don't know why, but I just find a lot of his comments hilarious. I'll probably buy the match just for his banter, lol.
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,135 ✭✭
    Phil and TW like

giphy.gif
  • Tim SchochTim Schoch Swing like it already happened. ClubWRX Posts: 1,066 ClubWRX

I get some people not wanting to see it. However, if you are a lifelong Tiger fan and do not like Phil or if it's the other way around, then maybe you have a keen interest in seeing this.

If this was real, yes. However, it isn't real. It's a TV show, scripted and forced.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
    - Groucho Marx

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]WIMB[/font]
    PING G30 SF Tec 10* reg graphite
    TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX reg graphite
    Adams Idea A12 #4 Hybrid 21* VTS Proforce reg graphite
    PING G25 5-L, graphite reg
    Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #1
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X, midsize Winn Dri-Tac grips
    [/font][/font]
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,062 ✭✭
    bscinstnct wrote:

Phil and TW like

giphy.gif

LOL!

Dolla Dolla Bill ya'll!
    **Bag Construction in Progress**
    Mizuno ST190 G 9.5 (Lofted to 10)
    Mizuno ST190 3TS
    Mizuno CLK 2 Hybrid
    Mizuno Fli-Hi 4 Iron Replacement
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal (5-PW)
    Mizuno S18 Wedges - Blue Ion (50-7, 54-12, 58-16, 62-8)
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
    edited Oct 26, 2018 #71
    tbowles411 wrote:

bscinstnct wrote:

Phil and TW like

giphy.gif

LOL!

Dolla Dolla Bill ya'll!

Money, it's a gas

Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash

New car, caviar, four star daydream

Think I'll buy me a football team

Money, get back

I'm all right Jack keep your hands off of my stack

Money, it's a hit

Don't give me that do goody good bull$hit

I'm in the high-fidelity first class traveling set

And I think I need a Lear jet

Tiger-Woods-Private-Jet.jpg
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,108 ✭✭

Survey of 700 WRXers says over 66% have no intent of paying to watch. http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1684238-will-you-pay-to-watch-tiger-v-phil/

Imagine what the non-WRXers lack of interest in this event must be? I heard a local sports guy on the radio this week (he's a huge Tiger fan) and when asked if he'd be watching he said NO.

In my opinion PPV is huge missed opportunity to promote golf-- they could have attracted more viewers, the casual channel flippers or the golf fan that only has time to watch for an hour if this was on regular network TV instead.
  • Ignatius ReillyIgnatius Reilly Members Posts: 398 ✭✭
    MtlJeff wrote:

Who is the market for this I wonder. I love golf, like both guys, and use 20's to light the 100's that I use to light my cigars....and I still am not interested in the slightest

Same.

Of course, I'm not as stylin' as you Montreal guys, so I'll be starting the lighting with 10's.....
  • spbrooksspbrooks Members Posts: 323 ✭✭
    I think in the end curiosity will win and the PPV will make money. I'm sure there won't be much rough at Shadow Creek to aid the quality of play. image/beach.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':beach:' />
    Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Oban Kiyoshi HB

Ping G 14.5

Callaway Apex UT 21* or Titleist 816H 19*

Titleist 918 AP2 4-pw Project X 6.0

Titleist SM6 50,54,58

Scotty Laguna

TM TP 5
  • Jacked_LoftJacked_Loft Steps Ahead Members Posts: 487 ✭✭
    Can't get the event, so I'll just read how good/bad it was here on WRX.

Much more entertaining.
    WIMB:

`16 M1 9.5 Fuji Evo TS 661
    `17 M1 3&5 Kuro Kage 70
    P790 3I Nippon 950
    P770 4-GW Nippon 950
    MG 56° LB KBS REV
    Spider Tour BLK
    H2NO Carry
  • fastfadefastfade Members Posts: 13
    tw_focus

Advanced
    • photo-244611.jpg?_r=1365690840
    • Advanced Members
    • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
    • 262 posts
    • Member #: 244611
    [background=rgb(204, 204, 204)]

GolfWRX Likes : 165
    [/background]

Posted 26 October 2018 - 09:25 AM

$20 to see the greatest golfer of all time for an entire round"
  • fastfadefastfade Members Posts: 13
    edited Oct 28, 2018 #77
    $20 TO SEE THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD (13 YRS OF HAVING BEEN RATED #1 IN WORLD VS. A GUY WHO DISPITE 5 MAJORS HAS NEVER BEEN RATED #1 IN WORLD). WHY PAY WHEN YOU CAN WATCH THEM PLAY SEVERAL TIMES IN THE TOURNAMENTS SEVERAL TIMES A YEAR, INCLUDING MAJORS? MUCH A DO ABOUT NOTHING!
  • tuscolabandittuscolabandit Members Posts: 11
    Bring back the Skins game with no PPV
    this be like

tenor.gif
  • straightshot7straightshot7 Members Posts: 2,925 ✭✭
    Tim Schoch wrote:

If this was real, yes. However, it isn't real. It's a TV show, scripted and forced.

Not real? Scripted and forced?

Was there news that this was going to be scripted or what are you basing these ideas on?
  • ckayckay Members Posts: 3,878 ✭✭
    Most of you guys lose $20 in Pro V1s each round you play, but moan about $20 for this match. So funny! Don't worry, sometimes I lose $20 of Pro V1s during a round also.
    Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,108 ✭✭
    ckay wrote:

Most of you guys lose $20 in Pro V1s each round you play, but moan about $20 for this match. So funny! Don't worry, sometimes I lose $20 of Pro V1s during a round also.

Big difference... At while we're losing $20s of pro v1s we're also having fun.
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker Members Posts: 5,187 ✭✭

ckay wrote:

Big difference... At while we're losing $20s of pro v1s we're also having fun.

Can't lose $20 worth of pro v's if you play Snell image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • Need4spdNeed4spd Members Posts: 1,515 ✭✭
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but does this mean you can’t buy it unless you have DirectTV or AT&T?
    In the Hoofer

TaylorMade M4 9.5° Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 60TX
    TaylorMade M2 15° Aldila ROGUE Silver 110 M.S.I. 70X
    TaylorMade RSi TP UDI #2 KBS TOUR Hybrid Prototype 95X
    Srixon Z965 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 60.12D Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Odyssey Milled Collection RSX V-Line Fang
    TaylorMade TP5X
  • playar32playar32 Members Posts: 272 ✭✭
    edited Oct 29, 2018 #85
    Whenever they try to take golf more mainstream, I always feel they should ham it up more (have crazy announcers, make crazy rules.)

It's fun to watch these guys play, but there should be gags throughout. One hole they have to switch clubs, one hole putt blind, loser has to cut the other guys grass, golf cart race on one hole but they have to eat like 2 hotdogs on that hole, long drive hole where the guy who hits the longest drive gets a free one-armed swing at the other guys ball.
  • mankumanku Members Posts: 674 ✭✭
    The money is irrelevant for most anyone on this forum...golf isn't a cheap pastime, and $20 doesn't go very far.

However, most of us already pay for television every month, and get thousands of hours of often dull golf programming...of which I watch way too much!

I think the issue is that we're paying two ultra wealthy athletes (whose lives won't be affected win or lose) more than we've already given (if indirectly) over the past 20 years. They don't need the money...it would be like Warren Buffett asking us to buy him lotto tickets!

I'll watch the free highlight show on youtube on saturday.
    edited Oct 29, 2018 #87
    [media=]

#lame

• BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer Members Posts: 1,220 ✭✭
    edited Oct 29, 2018 #88
    The odds on this being a good watch is very low.... meaning they both got to play great.

If both play bad = horrible

If one plays bad = horrible

both play good w/ scores not close = horrible

both play good w/ close scores = good watch

edit: start really talkin **** and pissin each other off = good watch lol
    G30 LS
    M2 BMW
    XR 4 Hybrid
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros
    Cleveland Blob
    Square Strike
    SeeMore Butts
  • ckayckay Members Posts: 3,878 ✭✭
    manku wrote:

The money is irrelevant for most anyone on this forum...golf isn't a cheap pastime, and $20 doesn't go very far.

However, most of us already pay for television every month, and get thousands of hours of often dull golf programming...of which I watch way too much!

I think the issue is that we're paying two ultra wealthy athletes (whose lives won't be affected win or lose) more than we've already given (if indirectly) over the past 20 years. They don't need the money...it would be like Warren Buffett asking us to buy him lotto tickets!

You lost me at saying the money is irrelevant only to go on about money.
    Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link
  • RangeballzRangeballz Members Posts: 1,649 ✭✭
    edited Oct 29, 2018 #90
    tw_focus wrote:

$20 to see the greatest golfer of all time for an entire round with no interruptions is absolutely worth it.

Wait, Jack is playing? image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />
    ckay wrote:

manku wrote:

You lost me at saying the money is irrelevant only to go on about money.

20 bucks is "only" 20 bucks.

But, let's say you go get lunch for 20 bucks and it stinks. Then, you be like,

"I can't believe this **** is 20 bucks"

Which is what you'll be saying watching Phil and TW hit balls in the trees and making corny jokes ; )