Jacksonville FL course rankings?

SkeeterSkeeter Members Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭✭
I will be playing in Jacksonville to play for the first time. I'm pretty sure we are doing the World Golf Hall of Fame tour and playing 4 courses.

What are the suggested ones I need to hit?

Comments

• geauxtigers777geauxtigers777 Members Posts: 60 ✭✭
    Skeeter wrote:
    I will be playing in Jacksonville to play for the first time. I'm pretty sure we are doing the World Golf Hall of Fame tour and playing 4 courses.

Do you have access to private and are you willing to drive?

Public:

1. Stadium course

2. Tpc Dye Valley

3. King and Bear

4. North Hampton

5. Slammer Squire

6. Omni Oak Marsh

7. St. Johns golf and country

8. South Hampton

9. Queens Harbor

10. Windsor Park

11. Hidden hills

Private:

1. Pablo Creek

2. Sawgrass CC (east/west)

3. Plantation

4. PV inn and club Ocean

5. A bunch of other courses that I haven't played
  • jaxbeachpackerfanjaxbeachpackerfan Jacksonville Beach FloridaMembers Posts: 215 ✭✭✭

Skeeter wrote:

Public:

1. Stadium course

2. Tpc Dye Valley

3. King and Bear

4. North Hampton

5. Slammer Squire

6. Omni Oak Marsh

8. South Hampton

9. Queens Harbor

10. Windsor Park

11. Hidden hills

Private:

1. Pablo Creek

2. Sawgrass CC (east/west)

3. Plantation

4. PV inn and club Ocean

5. A bunch of other courses that I haven't played

Not too many quibbles with this ranking. I have played all except for Pablo Creek (I wish) and Plantation. I would drop North Hampton down several slots due to its conditioning the last couple of years (great design tho). I would also add Amelia National, probably in place of North Hampton at #4. It is private, but very easy to get a tee time at a good $60 rate (either through pro calling for you, the coupons they send out or just cajoling the guy in the pro shop). Played Cimarrone today. While it has had conditioning issues in the past, it is much better (they do have a weird weed problem on some of the greens, but didn't really affect the putting). I'd put it above Queens Harbor and Windsor Parke for sure. $31 pp wasn't bad at all.
  • jjthomp2jjthomp2 Members Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    I had a great time at Omni Oak Marsh, you should be able to find a deal on golfnow too
    Taylormade M3 440 9.0
    Titleist 906f4 15.5
    Titleist 816 H2 21.0
    Mizuno MP-64 4-P
    Titleist Vokey 50, 56, 60
    Scotty Cameron Squareback
  • PoserPoser Members Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    timuquana is hard to beat if you can get out on it.
  • OffTheDoleOffTheDole Florida golfer Members Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭
    jjthomp2 wrote:

I had a great time at Omni Oak Marsh, you should be able to find a deal on golfnow too

Oak Marsh is a great track and has been in great shape recently.

Palencia is another one to consider since it's pretty close to the WGV.

Last time I played Cimarrone was three weeks ago and my putts were literally catching air on the greens. They really need to do something about them. It looks like they've got St. Augustine grass growing in them and they just shave it down.
  • fsutankerfsutanker Members Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn’t put it in the top 10, but I played Julington Creek two weeks ago and the greens were in great shape. No blemishes and rolling pretty well. I’d compare them to South Hampton’s. JCP has a sneaky fun layout.

Also enjoy heading out to Eagle Landing for a fun layout, good condition, and a great rate that usually includes lunch and some beers.
  • SkeeterSkeeter Members Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So we are staying in Daytona and driving up to play Jacksonville.

How do the 2 LPGA courses in Daytona stack up with the Jacksonville courses?

We have 4 days to play 4 courses.
    Skeeter wrote:

So we are staying in Daytona and driving up to play Jacksonville.

How do the 2 LPGA courses in Daytona stack up with the Jacksonville courses?

We have 4 days to play 4 courses.

The LPGA courses are nice. If you're staying in Daytona they're a short drive and worth playing. You're likely to be able to find a deal on TeeOff or GolfNow too.

I prefer the [Arthur] Hills course to the [Rees] Jones course.

You might want to try to play at Hammock Beach instead of making the drive up all the way to Jax.
  • SkeeterSkeeter Members Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. We are going to the world golf hall of fame so I thought we would do the slammer and squire and king and bear.
  • markheardjrmarkheardjr Member 141..Oh yeah...Snap to youngin! Members Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@fsutanker said:
    I wouldn’t put it in the top 10, but I played Julington Creek two weeks ago and the greens were in great shape. No blemishes and rolling pretty well. I’d compare them to South Hampton’s. JCP has a sneaky fun layout.

Also enjoy heading out to Eagle Landing for a fun layout, good condition, and a great rate that usually includes lunch and some beers.

Just wanted to update on Julington Creek. We played two weeks ago and the greens were really sad. Large dried dead spots where some fungal thing must have just ravaged it. They couldn't even keep to the pin placement chart because entire sections of greens were that bad. They seemed very dry too, with plenty of water nearby, not sure why they weren't watering.

Other than that, I enjoyed the course. Pretty narrow, lots of trouble with water and woods. Their rough is the kind of bermuda I don't care for. The grass is not able to suppot a ball at all so it just sinks straight to the dirt.

NIPPON SHAFT TRIALS!! Get in on a pay-it-forward type shaft testing!
    http://www.golfwrx.c...yer-forwarding/

TaylorMade M3 9.5° w/ Tour Issue Aldila The Phene'd 60TX
    TaylorMade '08 Burner 14.5° w/ p9003X
    TaylorMade '08 Burner 17.5° w/ p9003TX
    Srixon ZTX-II 3-PW w/ Modus Nippon Modus Prototype ORA X (3I has an E11 Proto in Stiff)
    Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
    Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
    Scotty Cameron SS Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter
  • jaxbeachpackerfanjaxbeachpackerfan Jacksonville Beach FloridaMembers Posts: 215 ✭✭✭
    edited Jul 24, 2019 5:10pm #12

@jaxbeachpackerfan said:
    geauxtigers777 wrote:

Skeeter wrote:

Public:

1. Stadium course

2. Tpc Dye Valley

3. King and Bear

4. North Hampton

5. Slammer Squire

6. Omni Oak Marsh

8. South Hampton

9. Queens Harbor

10. Windsor Park

11. Hidden hills

Private:

12. Pablo Creek

13. Sawgrass CC (east/west)

14. Plantation

15. PV inn and club Ocean

16. A bunch of other courses that I haven't played

Not too many quibbles with this ranking. I have played all except for Pablo Creek (I wish) and Plantation. I would drop North Hampton down several slots due to its conditioning the last couple of years (great design tho). I would also add Amelia National, probably in place of North Hampton at #4. It is private, but very easy to get a tee time at a good $60 rate (either through pro calling for you, the coupons they send out or just cajoling the guy in the pro shop). Played Cimarrone today. While it has had conditioning issues in the past, it is much better (they do have a weird weed problem on some of the greens, but didn't really affect the putting). I'd put it above Queens Harbor and Windsor Parke for sure. $31 pp wasn't bad at all.

July 24, 2019 update. Queens Harbor has moved way back up the list. Conditioning is much improved and the greens are pretty much back to their former glory. It is now one of our three favorite courses to play on when our TPC Valley groups has play somewhere else. Also, we've played Jacksonville Beach Golf Club a couple of times now. They did a major renovation last year and hired the GM and head Greenskeeper away from Ponte Vedra Inn & Club to run things. It was excellent for a public course, and even more so for a muni. And a $27 senior rate (w/ cart), you can't beat the cost. We're going to be playing there in two weeks when the TPC Valley is closed for its last aeration of the year.

Conversely, Cimarrone is no longer worthy of consideration for us. The greens were almost unplayable the last time we played there.

And, although we haven't played there in a year, word is that Northhampton is back in good shape, which is great to hear, because it is one of the best designs in the area.

• 2Bogey2Bogey Members Posts: 1

Headed that way next week out of Houston. We’re playing The Stadium Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning. Queen’s Harbor Tuesday afternoon. Any thoughts on the weather from the locals? I see 40-50% rain chances both days. Thanks.

@2Bogey said:
    Headed that way next week out of Houston. We’re playing The Stadium Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning. Queen’s Harbor Tuesday afternoon. Any thoughts on the weather from the locals? I see 40-50% rain chances both days. Thanks.

It rains in the afternoon almost every day during the summer for about an hour or two. Then it stops and we resume our activities.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file