GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE, PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

Jacksonville FL course rankings?

Skeeter ·  
SkeeterSkeeter Members  938WRX Points: 94Posts: 938 Golden Tee
I will be playing in Jacksonville to play for the first time. I'm pretty sure we are doing the World Golf Hall of Fame tour and playing 4 courses.<br />
<br />
What are the suggested ones I need to hit?
Posted:

Comments

• geauxtigers777geauxtigers777 Members  73WRX Points: 17Handicap: 7Posts: 73 Bunkers
    Skeeter wrote:
    I will be playing in Jacksonville to play for the first time. I'm pretty sure we are doing the World Golf Hall of Fame tour and playing 4 courses.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Do you have access to private and are you willing to drive?<br />
    <br />
    Public:<br />
    1. Stadium course<br />
    2. Tpc Dye Valley<br />
    3. King and Bear<br />
    4. North Hampton<br />
    5. Slammer Squire<br />
    6. Omni Oak Marsh<br />
    7. St. Johns golf and country<br />
    8. South Hampton<br />
    9. Queens Harbor<br />
    10. Windsor Park<br />
    11. Hidden hills<br />
    <br />
    Private:<br />
    1. Pablo Creek<br />
    2. Sawgrass CC (east/west)<br />
    3. Plantation<br />
    4. PV inn and club Ocean<br />
    5. A bunch of other courses that I haven't played
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • jaxbeachpackerfanjaxbeachpackerfan Jacksonville Beach FloridaMembers  217WRX Points: 53Handicap: 12.9Posts: 217 Fairways
    <br />
    Skeeter wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    Do you have access to private and are you willing to drive?<br />
    <br />
    Public:<br />
    1. Stadium course<br />
    2. Tpc Dye Valley<br />
    3. King and Bear<br />
    4. North Hampton<br />
    5. Slammer Squire<br />
    6. Omni Oak Marsh<br />
    7. St. Johns golf and country<br />
    8. South Hampton<br />
    9. Queens Harbor<br />
    10. Windsor Park<br />
    11. Hidden hills<br />
    <br />
    Private:<br />
    1. Pablo Creek<br />
    2. Sawgrass CC (east/west)<br />
    3. Plantation<br />
    4. PV inn and club Ocean<br />
    5. A bunch of other courses that I haven't played<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Not too many quibbles with this ranking. I have played all except for Pablo Creek (I wish) and Plantation. I would drop North Hampton down several slots due to its conditioning the last couple of years (great design tho). I would also add Amelia National, probably in place of North Hampton at #4. It is private, but very easy to get a tee time at a good $60 rate (either through pro calling for you, the coupons they send out or just cajoling the guy in the pro shop). Played Cimarrone today. While it has had conditioning issues in the past, it is much better (they do have a weird weed problem on some of the greens, but didn't really affect the putting). I'd put it above Queens Harbor and Windsor Parke for sure. $31 pp wasn't bad at all.
    Posted:
  • jjthomp2jjthomp2 Members  301WRX Points: 146Handicap: 3Posts: 301 Greens
    I had a great time at Omni Oak Marsh, you should be able to find a deal on golfnow too
    Posted:
    Taylormade M3 440 9.0
    Titleist 906F4 15.5
    Titleist 816 H2 21.0
    Mizuno MP-20 4-P
    Mizuno T20 50,55,60
    Scotty Cameron Squareback
  • PoserPoser Members  1777WRX Points: 138Handicap: +1Posts: 1,777 Platinum Tees
    timuquana is hard to beat if you can get out on it.
    Posted:
  • OffTheDoleOffTheDole North Florida golfer Members  404WRX Points: 131Handicap: 2.6Posts: 404 Greens
    jjthomp2 wrote:
    <br />
    I had a great time at Omni Oak Marsh, you should be able to find a deal on golfnow too<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Oak Marsh is a great track and has been in great shape recently. <br />
    <br />
    Palencia is another one to consider since it's pretty close to the WGV. <br />
    <br />
    Last time I played Cimarrone was three weeks ago and my putts were literally catching air on the greens. They really need to do something about them. It looks like they've got St. Augustine grass growing in them and they just shave it down.
    Posted:

Titleist TS2 9.5° HZRDUS Smoke

Titleist TS3 13.5° HZRDUS Smoke 

Callaway Great Big Bertha 19° Kuro Kage 

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4i X100 Tour Issue

Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-6i X100 Tour Issue

Mizuno MP-20 7-PW X100 Tour Issue

Vokey SM6 50°, 56°, 60° S400 Tour Issue

Black Hawk Putter 

Titleist ProV1 Yellow

• fsutankerfsutanker Members  342WRX Points: 110Posts: 342 Greens
    I wouldn’t put it in the top 10, but I played Julington Creek two weeks ago and the greens were in great shape. No blemishes and rolling pretty well. I’d compare them to South Hampton’s. JCP has a sneaky fun layout. <br />
    <br />
    Also enjoy heading out to Eagle Landing for a fun layout, good condition, and a great rate that usually includes lunch and some beers.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • SkeeterSkeeter Members  938WRX Points: 94Posts: 938 Golden Tee
    So we are staying in Daytona and driving up to play Jacksonville. <br />
    <br />
    How do the 2 LPGA courses in Daytona stack up with the Jacksonville courses?<br />
    <br />
    We have 4 days to play 4 courses.
    Posted:
  • OffTheDoleOffTheDole North Florida golfer Members  404WRX Points: 131Handicap: 2.6Posts: 404 Greens
    Skeeter wrote:
    <br />
    So we are staying in Daytona and driving up to play Jacksonville.<br />
    <br />
    How do the 2 LPGA courses in Daytona stack up with the Jacksonville courses?<br />
    <br />
    We have 4 days to play 4 courses.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    The LPGA courses are nice. If you're staying in Daytona they're a short drive and worth playing. You're likely to be able to find a deal on TeeOff or GolfNow too.<br />
    <br />
    I prefer the [Arthur] Hills course to the [Rees] Jones course.<br />
    <br />
    You might want to try to play at Hammock Beach instead of making the drive up all the way to Jax.
    Posted:

Black Hawk Putter 

Titleist ProV1 Yellow

• SkeeterSkeeter Members  938WRX Points: 94Posts: 938 Golden Tee
    Thanks. We are going to the world golf hall of fame so I thought we would do the slammer and squire and king and bear.
    Posted:
  • markheardjrmarkheardjr Member 141..Oh yeah...Snap to youngin! Members  7381WRX Points: 196Handicap: 3.8Posts: 7,381 Titanium Tees

On -, @fsutanker said:

I wouldn’t put it in the top 10, but I played Julington Creek two weeks ago and the greens were in great shape. No blemishes and rolling pretty well. I’d compare them to South Hampton’s. JCP has a sneaky fun layout.

Also enjoy heading out to Eagle Landing for a fun layout, good condition, and a great rate that usually includes lunch and some beers.

Just wanted to update on Julington Creek. We played two weeks ago and the greens were really sad. Large dried dead spots where some fungal thing must have just ravaged it. They couldn't even keep to the pin placement chart because entire sections of greens were that bad. They seemed very dry too, with plenty of water nearby, not sure why they weren't watering.

Other than that, I enjoyed the course. Pretty narrow, lots of trouble with water and woods. Their rough is the kind of bermuda I don't care for. The grass is not able to suppot a ball at all so it just sinks straight to the dirt.

Posted:
    NIPPON SHAFT TRIALS!! Get in on a pay-it-forward type shaft testing!
    http://www.golfwrx.c...yer-forwarding/

TaylorMade M3 9.5° w/ Tour Issue PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 6.5
    TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ p9003TX
    TaylorMade '08 Burner 17.5° w/ p9003TX
    Srixon ZTX-II 3-PW w/ Modus Nippon Modus Prototype ORA X (3I has an E11 Proto in Stiff)
    Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
    Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
    Scotty Cameron SS Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter
  • jaxbeachpackerfanjaxbeachpackerfan Jacksonville Beach FloridaMembers  217WRX Points: 53Handicap: 12.9Posts: 217 Fairways

On -, @jaxbeachpackerfan said:

geauxtigers777 wrote:

Skeeter wrote:

I will be playing in Jacksonville to play for the first time. I'm pretty sure we are doing the World Golf Hall of Fame tour and playing 4 courses.

Do you have access to private and are you willing to drive?

Public:

1. Stadium course

2. Tpc Dye Valley

3. King and Bear

4. North Hampton

5. Slammer Squire

6. Omni Oak Marsh

7. St. Johns golf and country

8. South Hampton

9. Queens Harbor

10. Windsor Park

11. Hidden hills

Private:

12. Pablo Creek

13. Sawgrass CC (east/west)

14. Plantation

15. PV inn and club Ocean

16. A bunch of other courses that I haven't played

Not too many quibbles with this ranking. I have played all except for Pablo Creek (I wish) and Plantation. I would drop North Hampton down several slots due to its conditioning the last couple of years (great design tho). I would also add Amelia National, probably in place of North Hampton at #4. It is private, but very easy to get a tee time at a good $60 rate (either through pro calling for you, the coupons they send out or just cajoling the guy in the pro shop). Played Cimarrone today. While it has had conditioning issues in the past, it is much better (they do have a weird weed problem on some of the greens, but didn't really affect the putting). I'd put it above Queens Harbor and Windsor Parke for sure. $31 pp wasn't bad at all.

July 24, 2019 update. Queens Harbor has moved way back up the list. Conditioning is much improved and the greens are pretty much back to their former glory. It is now one of our three favorite courses to play on when our TPC Valley groups has play somewhere else. Also, we've played Jacksonville Beach Golf Club a couple of times now. They did a major renovation last year and hired the GM and head Greenskeeper away from Ponte Vedra Inn & Club to run things. It was excellent for a public course, and even more so for a muni. And a $27 senior rate (w/ cart), you can't beat the cost. We're going to be playing there in two weeks when the TPC Valley is closed for its last aeration of the year.

Conversely, Cimarrone is no longer worthy of consideration for us. The greens were almost unplayable the last time we played there.

And, although we haven't played there in a year, word is that Northhampton is back in good shape, which is great to hear, because it is one of the best designs in the area.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • 2Bogey2Bogey Members  3WRX Points: 6Posts: 3 Starters

Headed that way next week out of Houston. We’re playing The Stadium Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning. Queen’s Harbor Tuesday afternoon. Any thoughts on the weather from the locals? I see 40-50% rain chances both days. Thanks.

Posted:

On -, @2Bogey said:

Headed that way next week out of Houston. We’re playing The Stadium Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning. Queen’s Harbor Tuesday afternoon. Any thoughts on the weather from the locals? I see 40-50% rain chances both days. Thanks.

It rains in the afternoon almost every day during the summer for about an hour or two. Then it stops and we resume our activities.

Posted:

Black Hawk Putter 

Titleist ProV1 Yellow

• gatorgolfer86gatorgolfer86 Members  84WRX Points: 58Posts: 84 Fairways

Good info here. Thanks guys

Posted:
  • aabb312aabb312 Members  32WRX Points: 22Handicap: 12Posts: 32 Bunkers

Updated rankings:

1. Stadium with rye grass
    2. Stadium with bermuda grass
    3. Timuquana
    4. Pablo... will be interesting to see new course
    5. Plantation? Sawgrass CC? IDK

Plantation is probably the hardest for most ppl to get onto I think

Posted:
  • j.b.newtonj.b.newton Members  675WRX Points: 146Posts: 675 Golden Tee

Heading to Jacksonville in early 2020 for a business trip. 1 day of golf in mid-Feb. Of the 4 guys going, 2 of us have played the Championship course at TPC, 1 has not and can't afford $600 + tip, and the other is not a big enough golfer to care. What is everyone's opinion of the Dye Valley course at TPC? Is the quality there, what are the rates, etc? The thought process is to play a, hopefully, much cheaper course but still get to be on the TPC property for the 2 that have not been there to see the clubhouse, etc.

Thanks!

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @j.b.newton said:

Heading to Jacksonville in early 2020 for a business trip. 1 day of golf in mid-Feb. Of the 4 guys going, 2 of us have played the Championship course at TPC, 1 has not and can't afford $600 + tip, and the other is not a big enough golfer to care. What is everyone's opinion of the Dye Valley course at TPC? Is the quality there, what are the rates, etc? The thought process is to play a, hopefully, much cheaper course but still get to be on the TPC property for the 2 that have not been there to see the clubhouse, etc.

Dye's Valley course at TPC Sawgrass is a very good track and you can find afternoon times on TeeOff for less than $200.

Posted:

Black Hawk Putter 

Titleist ProV1 Yellow

• j.b.newtonj.b.newton Members  675WRX Points: 146Posts: 675 Golden Tee

Thank you Dole! Would you recommend anything else than what my current thought is?

Posted:

On -, @j.b.newton said:

Thank you Dole! Would you recommend anything else than what my current thought is?

The King & Bear at the World Golf Village tends to be well-conditioned and the layout is excellent. You can get times there for ~$120. The Slammer & Squire at WGV is also kept in nice shape but it's not as good a course as the King & Bear.

If you're looking for a really affordable and fun track, check out my home course, Jax Beach Golf Club. It's a muni that reopened last November after an extensive renovation where holes were redesigned and greens replaced with paspalum. Just around the corner from Jax Beach Golf Club are two locals' favorites: TacoLu, a taco and tequila spot, and Safe Harbor Seafood.

Posted:

Black Hawk Putter 

Titleist ProV1 Yellow

• sui generissui generis Members  4509WRX Points: 812Posts: 4,509 Titanium Tees

Oh, boy. Thanks for the timely post, Off.

Pal and I have rented a condo on the ocean and just want to wear shorts and play some cheap golf the week after Xmas. (It's chilly in Asheville.)

Posted:
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.

Thanks to you, my pal and I played your local, Jax Beach and loved it. Off to Hyde Park today and Windsor on Sunday. CM

Posted:
    Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.

Advertisement

What'd you think of Hyde Park and Windsor Parke?

Posted:

Black Hawk Putter 

Titleist ProV1 Yellow

Hyde Park was just a Donald Ross box to check, although there were a couple of interesting greens. Windsor Park, on the other hand, was pretty good; the place was in nice shape and the price was right. Your place, Jax Beach, is outstanding. I loved everything about it. We were paired with a couple of lads who hit it far and wide, yet the four of us got around in 3:40 on New Years Eve day. (The pond on the 18th got me both days we played. 😃) Thanks for your recommendations. CM

Posted:

Yeah, Hyde Park's conditions leave a lot to be desired. Some people get excited about the "bones" of the course, but I'm not one of them 😉. It's nice to hear Windsor is in good shape. It's a solid enough design but the houses and office parks have crept in quite a bit over the years so I tend to avoid it.

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed Jax Beach. IMO it's such a great track now. The drive on 18 is a real challenge; it's so easy to go trees left and that lake is like a magnet!

Posted:

Black Hawk Putter 

Titleist ProV1 Yellow

Posted:
  • baller4opcaballer4opca Members  220WRX Points: 57Handicap: 13Posts: 220 Fairways

I would recommend not playing the HOF courses unless you are playing at a FL resident or military rate. Tourist trap and overpriced for what it is. I would recommend St. Augustine Golf and Country and Ponte Vedra Inn and Club and South Hampton. All within 15 miles of each other.

Posted:

Advertisement

I've never heard of St. Augustine Golf and Country Club. Did you mean St. Johns Golf & Country Club off 210 (not to be confused with St. Johns Golf Club in Elkton)?

FYI, Ponte Vedra Inn & Club's Ocean Course is in the middle of a major renovation and is closed until the Fall of this year.

Posted:

Black Hawk Putter 

Titleist ProV1 Yellow

• baller4opcaballer4opca Members  220WRX Points: 57Handicap: 13Posts: 220 Fairways

Yes. St John's. Thx. And one of the courses is still open at PV. I just played it.

Posted:
  • Joe55gJoe55g Members  5WRX Points: 7Handicap: 6Posts: 5 Starters

The lagoon is open

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ChrisLC40ChrisLC40 Rochester, NYMembers  165WRX Points: 68Handicap: 6 month wintersPosts: 165 Fairways

Hard to tell from Google Earth, but how much of Oak Marsh is bordered by homes? Looks like maybe half?

This time of year, would Oak Marsh or North Hampton have an edge on the other for conditions? I'll be down for a long weekend in 2 weeks.

Posted:
    TM M5 9.0
    Cobra F9 3w
    Srixon U85 2i
    Ping i210 5-W
    Ping Glide Forged 50, 54
    Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58
    Ping Sigma 2 Arna

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.