Guys that shoot under par. What clubs?

BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,201 ✭✭
Just curious what clubs guys use that consistently shoot under par. This is geared toward guys that break par more times than not and I’ll limit the clubs down to just driver and irons.

Comments

• MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,210 ✭✭
    That break par more than they don't? That's gonna be a relatively small list.
    Ping G400 Max 9 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w//Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-works #7 Red Tank
  • andrueandrue Members Posts: 1,123 ✭✭
    The man maketh the clubs image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).
  • cb24cb24 Members Posts: 1,689 ✭✭
    5 years ago, When I was actually playing really well (for me) and I was in the +2 handicap range I was playing a set of mizuno mp68 irons. Sold those for AP2s and never have brought my game back. I went thru 8 sets of irons over the 3 years after I sold the Mizunos and finally settled on a set of Srixon z965s. I think those under par days are coming back, my birdies are going up as my proximity to the hole is going thru the roof and it’s leading to confidence across my game.

My big advice to anyone who to score well, find something you are comfortable and confident with and stick with it and don’t even think about getting another set. Once I started to feel comfortable and trust that these Srixons were the right clubs for me then my scores started getting lower
  • SuperbritSuperbrit Members Posts: 462 ✭✭
    edited Oct 26, 2018 #5
    BiggErn wrote:

Just curious what clubs guys use that consistently shoot under par. This is geared toward guys that break par more times than not and I’ll limit the clubs down to just driver and irons.

Just go to the WITB section in the menu, there are loads of guys in there that regularly shoot under par
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ClubWRX Posts: 3,196 ClubWRX
    I’d agree with cb24. Find some clubs you trust and go play. Doesn’t matter what they are...game improvement, players, etc..
    Taylormade M1 (2017) 440 9.5* tour w/Atmos Black TS 6x<br />Taylormade M6 Rocket 3 w/Atmos Black 7s<br />Taylormade p790 3-pw <br />Taylormade hi-toe 52-9 and 58-10 wedges <br />Taylormade Spider Mallet 72
  • md1mmd1m Members Posts: 783 ✭✭
    When I take a lesson (which I don't do nearly enough), my instructor can take whatever club I have in my bag and stripe it.
    Clubs are fluid
  • SASpeederSASpeeder SASpeeder Members Posts: 86 ClubWRX
    Not shooting under par quite as regularly anymore but still gaming the same equipment.

Driver:Taylor M2 9.5” 2016 model with Diamana BF 60TX shaft

Irons: Miura CB1008 with KBS $Taper S+ shafts
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,785 ✭✭
    I doubt that club choice is as big a factor as quality of strike.
  • JoelsimJoelsim Members Posts: 707 ✭✭
    In my case that’d be magic clubs.
    Ping G400 Driver 10.5 Regular Alta CB 44.5”
    TaylorMade Original One Mini Driver 13.5 Regular Diamana F Ltd
    Titleist 818 H1 18 3-Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Titleist 818 H1 23 4-Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Ping G400 4-UW Regular Alta (#4 at power spec loft)
    Ping G410 SW Regular Alta
    Cleveland CBX 52
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 58 X
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 64 S
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 2017
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #2 2019
    Odyssey O-Works Marxman
    Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,201 ✭✭
    farmer wrote:
    I doubt that club choice is as big a factor as quality of strike.

Obviously anyone who shoots under par will be having a lot of quality strikes with whatever clubs they prefer to use.
  • mikpgamikpga www.mikedeitersgolf.com Members Posts: 7,347 ✭✭
    Just look at what the PGA Tour & Web.com Tour players are playing...
  • "THE GREEK""THE GREEK" Members Posts: 33 ✭✭
    I don't shoot under more often than not, but i shoot under about 20% of the time. I play g400 lst driver with hzrdus black 75 gram in extra stiff. The irons are Bridgestone j15 cb 3-p with x100 shafts.
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,652 ✭✭
    The only thing that matters is that the clubs are properly fit. When I was playing off a +3, I was playing TA EVO Forged Blades. I have spent the last year trying to find “that” set (I still use my EVO’s for my home practice setup), but I think I have found it with my Callaway Apex CF16’s after gaming the following this year in my search:

Mizuno JPX900 Forged

Ping S55’s

Ping i200’s

Titleist 716AP2’s

Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • tgoodspe1991tgoodspe1991 New EnglandMembers Posts: 652 ✭✭
    edited Oct 28, 2018 #15
    Any clubs. I've played them all "searching" for an even better score but they're all the same. I've shot consistently under par with any range of muscleback irons through to chunky cavity backs. I've had great rounds with AP2, Cobra KING Forged Tour, Nike VR Pro blades, Miura Baby Blades, AP1, Callaway MB, etc... You name it I've probably tried it and I've equally shot under par or over par with it too.

I do always tend to gravitate back to Titleist woods though. For me I think it's just a looks and confidence thing. I've hit great shots with any OEM's metal wood range but Titleist always ends up being a fixture in that range of my bag.

I've come to accept you can never buy a better game, but I still enjoy trying all the new stuff as a side hobby almost. Which is why you'll always see some new stuff from me on the classifieds! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

EDIT: I should also state I'm currently a +3.1 and at my best years ago I was nearly a +5.
    “Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
    time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
    - Arnold Palmer
  • md1mmd1m Members Posts: 783 ✭✭
    mikpga wrote:

No, might look at what the players not under contract are playing. But tour players are not comparable to 99.99% of the people here.
    Clubs are fluid
  • tgoodspe1991tgoodspe1991 New EnglandMembers Posts: 652 ✭✭
    md1m wrote:

mikpga wrote:

No, might look at what the players not under contract are playing. But tour players are not comparable to 99.99% of the people here.

Then look at the LPGA Tour. In overall distance and swing speed they are far more comparable to most people on this website.

In their bags you'll see a larger range of club head sizes, lighter weight shafts, more hybrids, etc.

They could crush most of us any day of the week, yet we still go out and demand XX-Flex shafts and 16* 2-irons, lol.
    “Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
    time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
    - Arnold Palmer
  • extrastiffextrastiff Members Posts: 857 ✭✭
    andrue wrote:

The man maketh the clubs image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

This.

Peter Finch shooting 3 under over 9 with noodle-shaft old charity clubs

g400 max 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    f8 15* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    p790 4i | steelfiber 95x
    black utility onelength 22.5*, 26* | steelfiber 110x
    forged onelength 6i | steelfiber 110x
    p730 7i-pw | steelfiber 110x
    hi-toe 52*9, 56*8, 62*5 | steelfiber 110x
    columbus
    jumbomax tour medium grips
  • animalgolfsanimalgolfs FL & OK Members Posts: 1,956
    Know a guy that's on his 3rd set of Eye 2's since '83

He plays a game that I'm unfamiliar with...i heard he shot 61 last month
    G400 Max 9* Tour 65
    G400 14.5* Attas 4u
    G400h 19* Tour 85
    G410 Crossover 23* Tour 85
    i500 6-UW{pwr spec} Recoil 110
    Glide Forged 54* Steelfiber i110
    Stealth 2.0 58* Steelfiber i110
    Vault 2.0 B60 Stealth WRX 390g
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    I know a number of scratch players with GI irons and 4 or 5 headcovers in their bags. Whatever works.
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    The Perfect Club 21*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    PING Eye 2 6-SW
    Scotty Fastback
    sdandrea wrote:

I know a number of scratch players with GI irons and 4 or 5 headcovers in their bags. Whatever works.

When i see a set of irons with just enough headcovers to stop a noisy bag, im actually convinced that person is good.
    p790 4i | steelfiber 95x
    columbus
  • pinestreetgolfpinestreetgolf Members Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    edited Oct 28, 2018 #22
    Sure, individual skill is paramount, but the difference between 72 and 70 could very well come down to equipment. I can't hit a driver without a ton of offset, and my trusty G10 has a massive amount of it. I've only shot four sixties rounds in my life so I'm not the guy the OP is referring to here, but everyone always talks in binary like equipment is either irrelevant or super-important. Like everything else in golf, its player dependent. Sure, there are guys who can shoot great scores with anything but there are also guys (especially on the putting green) who can't.
    Nike SQ Lucky 13* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 X-Flex, 43.5"
    Ping G30 Hybrids 2 17*,  3 19*, 4 22* TFC 419 Stiff
    Pinhawk SL 5-SW +3 Up Apollo Stiff 115
    PM Grind 64*

Sure, individual skill is paramount, but the difference between 72 and 70 could very well come down to equipment. I can't hit a driver without a ton of offset, and my trusty G10 has a massive amount of it. I've only shot four sixties rounds in my life so I'm not the guy the OP is referring to here, but everyone always talks in binary like equipment is either irrelevant or super-important. Like everything else in golf, its player dependent. Sure, there are guys who can shoot great scores with anything but there are also guys (especially on the putting green) who can't.

But the OP is asking about guys that consistently can hit <72, and i dont believe equipment would change that. As long as they are fit to the player, im pretty positive + handi's will stay +. I dont shoot under much but i switching to different brands, shapes, models, years, would not add 4 strokes to my game all of a sudden.As long as they are fit. me and others i play with are always exchanging clubs to test out, mess around. I don't usually hit these shots much worse than my own equip.
    p790 4i | steelfiber 95x
    columbus
    extrastiff wrote:

But the OP is asking about guys that consistently can hit <72, and i dont believe equipment would change that. As long as they are fit to the player, im pretty positive + handi's will stay +. I dont shoot under much but i switching to different brands, shapes, models, years, would not add 4 strokes to my game all of a sudden.As long as they are fit. me and others i play with are always exchanging clubs to test out, mess around. I don't usually hit these shots much worse than my own equip.

I was just curious about the topic. I’m not looking for input on my equipment based on what a very good player on here may use. Obviously you can look at tour pros and see what they use but I was just curious what a good recreational golfer who plays a couple times a week or in local events is using.
    BiggErn wrote:

extrastiff wrote:

I was just curious about the topic. I’m not looking for input on my equipment based on what a very good player on here may use. Obviously you can look at tour pros and see what they use but I was just curious what a good recreational golfer who plays a couple times a week or in local events is using.

For sure I was not trying to troll.. My equip in my signature that y i didnt mention, sorry!

Im really in to the baffler stuff for whatever reason. and the PX hazrdus black shaft. Im creepily into that model actually, i want a set for irons.
    p790 4i | steelfiber 95x
    columbus
    extrastiff wrote:
    BiggErn wrote:

extrastiff wrote:

For sure I was not trying to troll.. My equip in my signature that y i didnt mention, sorry!

Im really in to the baffler stuff for whatever reason. and the PX hazrdus black shaft. Im creepily into that model actually, i want a set for irons.

All good. I didn’t take it that you were.
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,208 ✭✭
    edited Oct 28, 2018 #27
    I've played with a few guys who were scratch or a bit better, the bags vary quite a bit. One played R9 TP B, irons and a SLDR, another played old TM Tour Preferred blades from the 80s, with a component driver. Another had full Titleist bag, complete with 690 blades. If they're lower trajectory players, might see a hybrid or two.

Kind of all over the place. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
    3w: Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
    1 iron: Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
    2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
    SW: Ram Tour Grind Feel Matched 58*, DGS
    Putter: Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
    (Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
    Shoes by True Linkswear
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,171 ✭✭
    edited Oct 29, 2018 #28
    Agree with tgood. It really doesn’t matter much. You just have to like the clubs and get used to them.

I’ve been as low as +2 and currently 1.2 with extremely poor putting since I started wearing glasses for distance a few years ago. . I Can’t read anything anymore but I still hit 12+ greens in regulation on average and shoot par or better about 30% of the time.

I played Mizuno MSX Midsize cavity back irons with custom Daiwa graphite shafts from 1993 until 2015. Those XX Daiwa graphites were eventually just too stiff and I looked for a new set. I found my Hogan’s 3 years ago. Love at first swing. Loved the look, the shape, the feel. Since then I’ve been using Hogan PTx with KBS TourV in 120x. Various ping and vokey wedges. Now using glide 2’s and a vokey 60m lob wedge.

Driver has varied over time. Big Bertha in the 90’s. 400 and 460 Cleveland titanium launchers in the 2000’s until 3 years ago. Cobra LTD to 917 d3 and back to LTD this summer. I’m still using an original Grafalloy Blue in my LTD that I used in my 460 launcher since 2006. I know the shaft like an old glove. It works for me. I have back ups in the basement in case it breaks.

I believe the most important thing, besides being fit properly with the correct shafts and lie angles, is to love the look and feel of your clubs and committ 100% to them for a significant period of time. It is so important to simply GET USED TO YOUR CLUBS.

Too many people on this site actually seem to think there is a significant difference between different irons of the same category. There isn’t. All the top irons perform essentially the same anymore if they are fit to you. You can’t buy a game. I know that doesn’t fit many people’s mindset on this site, but changing irons constantly is absolutely hurting your scoring.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • cradd10cradd10 Members Posts: 1,282 ✭✭

I don't shoot under more often than not, but i shoot under about 20% of the time. I play g400 lst driver with hzrdus black 75 gram in extra stiff. The irons are Bridgestone j15 cb 3-p with x100 shafts.

This is why I hate playing in every Member/guest. Guy shoots under par 20% of time and is a 4 handicap.
    M1 460 Syngery Proto 75
    17' M2 15° Hzdrus blk 6.5
    X2Hot Pro 18°
    RSi2 4-W. C-Taper 130x
    Vokey SM6 50,55,60
    Edel E-2
  • pinestreetgolfpinestreetgolf Members Posts: 3,368 ✭✭
    Agree with tgood. It really doesn’t matter much. You just have to like the clubs and get used to them.

I’ve been as low as +2 and currently 1.2 with extremely poor putting since I started wearing glasses for distance a few years ago. . I Can’t read anything anymore but I still hit 12+ greens in regulation on average and shoot par or better about 30% of the time.

I played Mizuno MSX Midsize cavity back irons with custom Daiwa graphite shafts from 1993 until 2015. Those XX Daiwa graphites were eventually just too stiff and I looked for a new set. I found my Hogan’s 3 years ago. Love at first swing. Loved the look, the shape, the feel. Since then I’ve been using Hogan PTx with KBS TourV in 120x. Various ping and vokey wedges. Now using glide 2’s and a vokey 60m lob wedge.

Driver has varied over time. Big Bertha in the 90’s. 400 and 460 Cleveland titanium launchers in the 2000’s until 3 years ago. Cobra LTD to 917 d3 and back to LTD this summer.

I believe the most important thing, besides being fit properly with the correct shafts and lie angles, is to love the look and feel of your clubs and committ 100% to them for a significant period of time. It is so important to simply GET USED TO YOUR CLUBS.

Too many people on this site actually seem to think there is a significant difference between different irons of the same category. There isn’t. All the top irons perform essentially the same anymore if they are fit to you. You can’t buy a game. I know that doesn’t fit many people’s mindset on this site, but changing irons constantly is absolutely hurting your scoring.

If this is true wouldn’t changing a good players clubs hurt their score? Or do only bad players need to be used to their clubs?

I agree with this post btw. I totally disagree with the “a good player is just as good with anything” crowd. Usually the people in that crowd are not good players. It’s just as important, good or bad, especially in wind or soggy conditions.
    Nike SQ Lucky 13* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 X-Flex, 43.5"
    Ping G30 Hybrids 2 17*,  3 19*, 4 22* TFC 419 Stiff
    Pinhawk SL 5-SW +3 Up Apollo Stiff 115
    PM Grind 64*
  • Grip It & Rip It 82Grip It & Rip It 82 Members Posts: 177 ClubWRX
    For me to shoot under par the clubs I would need would have to be vodka clubs......only way I think I'd be able to not overthink every shot