2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Guys that shoot under par. What clubs?

BiggErn

5 years ago, When I was actually playing really well (for me) and I was in the +2 handicap range I was playing a set of mizuno mp68 irons. Sold those for AP2s and never have brought my game back. I went thru 8 sets of irons over the 3 years after I sold the Mizunos and finally settled on a set of Srixon z965s. I think those under par days are coming back, my birdies are going up as my proximity to the hole is going thru the roof and it’s leading to confidence across my game.

My big advice to anyone who to score well, find something you are comfortable and confident with and stick with it and don’t even think about getting another set. Once I started to feel comfortable and trust that these Srixons were the right clubs for me then my scores started getting lower

Just curious what clubs guys use that consistently shoot under par. This is geared toward guys that break par more times than not and I’ll limit the clubs down to just driver and irons.

Just go to the WITB section in the menu, there are loads of guys in there that regularly shoot under par

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 9*

Cobra LTDx LS 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Ping G425 Crossover 3

Ping I500 5-PW

Ping I210 UW

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

Odyssey OG Rossie "Rahm"

I’d agree with cb24. Find some clubs you trust and go play. Doesn’t matter what they are...game improvement, players, etc..

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

The only thing that matters is that the clubs are properly fit. When I was playing off a +3, I was playing TA EVO Forged Blades. I have spent the last year trying to find “that” set (I still use my EVO’s for my home practice setup), but I think I have found it with my Callaway Apex CF16’s after gaming the following this year in my search:

Mizuno JPX900 Forged

Ping S55’s

Ping i200’s

Titleist 716AP2’s

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Any clubs. I've played them all "searching" for an even better score but they're all the same. I've shot consistently under par with any range of muscleback irons through to chunky cavity backs. I've had great rounds with AP2, Cobra KING Forged Tour, Nike VR Pro blades, Miura Baby Blades, AP1, Callaway MB, etc... You name it I've probably tried it and I've equally shot under par or over par with it too.

I do always tend to gravitate back to Titleist woods though. For me I think it's just a looks and confidence thing. I've hit great shots with any OEM's metal wood range but Titleist always ends up being a fixture in that range of my bag.

I've come to accept you can never buy a better game, but I still enjoy trying all the new stuff as a side hobby almost. Which is why you'll always see some new stuff from me on the classifieds! :)

EDIT: I should also state I'm currently a +3.1 and at my best years ago I was nearly a +5.

• Like 1

Just look at what the PGA Tour & Web.com Tour players are playing...

No, might look at what the players not under contract are playing. But tour players are not comparable to 99.99% of the people here.

Then look at the LPGA Tour. In overall distance and swing speed they are far more comparable to most people on this website.

In their bags you'll see a larger range of club head sizes, lighter weight shafts, more hybrids, etc.

They could crush most of us any day of the week, yet we still go out and demand XX-Flex shafts and 16* 2-irons, lol.

The man maketh the clubs ;)

This.

Peter Finch shooting 3 under over 9 with noodle-shaft old charity clubs

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

I know a number of scratch players with GI irons and 4 or 5 headcovers in their bags. Whatever works.

When i see a set of irons with just enough headcovers to stop a noisy bag, im actually convinced that person is good.

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Sure, individual skill is paramount, but the difference between 72 and 70 could very well come down to equipment. I can't hit a driver without a ton of offset, and my trusty G10 has a massive amount of it. I've only shot four sixties rounds in my life so I'm not the guy the OP is referring to here, but everyone always talks in binary like equipment is either irrelevant or super-important. Like everything else in golf, its player dependent. Sure, there are guys who can shoot great scores with anything but there are also guys (especially on the putting green) who can't.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Sure, individual skill is paramount, but the difference between 72 and 70 could very well come down to equipment. I can't hit a driver without a ton of offset, and my trusty G10 has a massive amount of it. I've only shot four sixties rounds in my life so I'm not the guy the OP is referring to here, but everyone always talks in binary like equipment is either irrelevant or super-important. Like everything else in golf, its player dependent. Sure, there are guys who can shoot great scores with anything but there are also guys (especially on the putting green) who can't.

But the OP is asking about guys that consistently can hit <72, and i dont believe equipment would change that. As long as they are fit to the player, im pretty positive + handi's will stay +. I dont shoot under much but i switching to different brands, shapes, models, years, would not add 4 strokes to my game all of a sudden.As long as they are fit. me and others i play with are always exchanging clubs to test out, mess around. I don't usually hit these shots much worse than my own equip.

But the OP is asking about guys that consistently can hit <72, and i dont believe equipment would change that. As long as they are fit to the player, im pretty positive + handi's will stay +. I dont shoot under much but i switching to different brands, shapes, models, years, would not add 4 strokes to my game all of a sudden.As long as they are fit. me and others i play with are always exchanging clubs to test out, mess around. I don't usually hit these shots much worse than my own equip.

I was just curious about the topic. I’m not looking for input on my equipment based on what a very good player on here may use. Obviously you can look at tour pros and see what they use but I was just curious what a good recreational golfer who plays a couple times a week or in local events is using.

I was just curious about the topic. I’m not looking for input on my equipment based on what a very good player on here may use. Obviously you can look at tour pros and see what they use but I was just curious what a good recreational golfer who plays a couple times a week or in local events is using.

For sure I was not trying to troll.. My equip in my signature that y i didnt mention, sorry!

Im really in to the baffler stuff for whatever reason. and the PX hazrdus black shaft. Im creepily into that model actually, i want a set for irons.

For sure I was not trying to troll.. My equip in my signature that y i didnt mention, sorry!

Im really in to the baffler stuff for whatever reason. and the PX hazrdus black shaft. Im creepily into that model actually, i want a set for irons.

All good. I didn’t take it that you were.

I've played with a few guys who were scratch or a bit better, the bags vary quite a bit. One played R9 TP B, irons and a SLDR, another played old TM Tour Preferred blades from the 80s, with a component driver. Another had full Titleist bag, complete with 690 blades. If they're lower trajectory players, might see a hybrid or two.

Kind of all over the place. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Agree with tgood. It really doesn’t matter much. You just have to like the clubs and get used to them.

I’ve been as low as +2 and currently 1.2 with extremely poor putting since I started wearing glasses for distance a few years ago. . I Can’t read anything anymore but I still hit 12+ greens in regulation on average and shoot par or better about 30% of the time.

I played Mizuno MSX Midsize cavity back irons with custom Daiwa graphite shafts from 1993 until 2015. Those XX Daiwa graphites were eventually just too stiff and I looked for a new set. I found my Hogan’s 3 years ago. Love at first swing. Loved the look, the shape, the feel. Since then I’ve been using Hogan PTx with KBS TourV in 120x. Various ping and vokey wedges. Now using glide 2’s and a vokey 60m lob wedge.

Driver has varied over time. Big Bertha in the 90’s. 400 and 460 Cleveland titanium launchers in the 2000’s until 3 years ago. Cobra LTD to 917 d3 and back to LTD this summer. I’m still using an original Grafalloy Blue in my LTD that I used in my 460 launcher since 2006. I know the shaft like an old glove. It works for me. I have back ups in the basement in case it breaks.

I believe the most important thing, besides being fit properly with the correct shafts and lie angles, is to love the look and feel of your clubs and committ 100% to them for a significant period of time. It is so important to simply GET USED TO YOUR CLUBS.

Too many people on this site actually seem to think there is a significant difference between different irons of the same category. There isn’t. All the top irons perform essentially the same anymore if they are fit to you. You can’t buy a game. I know that doesn’t fit many people’s mindset on this site, but changing irons constantly is absolutely hurting your scoring.

I don't shoot under more often than not, but i shoot under about 20% of the time. I play g400 lst driver with hzrdus black 75 gram in extra stiff. The irons are Bridgestone j15 cb 3-p with x100 shafts.

This is why I hate playing in every Member/guest. Guy shoots under par 20% of time and is a 4 handicap.

G430 LST 9°  RDX Blue 70 TX
SIM 15° RDX Blue 70TX

Cobra King Tec 19° hybrid RDX Black 9-6.5
4-W Z-585 -Tour V 130x
Vokey SM6 50,55,60
DF 2.1 

Agree with tgood. It really doesn’t matter much. You just have to like the clubs and get used to them.

I’ve been as low as +2 and currently 1.2 with extremely poor putting since I started wearing glasses for distance a few years ago. . I Can’t read anything anymore but I still hit 12+ greens in regulation on average and shoot par or better about 30% of the time.

I played Mizuno MSX Midsize cavity back irons with custom Daiwa graphite shafts from 1993 until 2015. Those XX Daiwa graphites were eventually just too stiff and I looked for a new set. I found my Hogan’s 3 years ago. Love at first swing. Loved the look, the shape, the feel. Since then I’ve been using Hogan PTx with KBS TourV in 120x. Various ping and vokey wedges. Now using glide 2’s and a vokey 60m lob wedge.

Driver has varied over time. Big Bertha in the 90’s. 400 and 460 Cleveland titanium launchers in the 2000’s until 3 years ago. Cobra LTD to 917 d3 and back to LTD this summer.

I believe the most important thing, besides being fit properly with the correct shafts and lie angles, is to love the look and feel of your clubs and committ 100% to them for a significant period of time. It is so important to simply GET USED TO YOUR CLUBS.

Too many people on this site actually seem to think there is a significant difference between different irons of the same category. There isn’t. All the top irons perform essentially the same anymore if they are fit to you. You can’t buy a game. I know that doesn’t fit many people’s mindset on this site, but changing irons constantly is absolutely hurting your scoring.

If this is true wouldn’t changing a good players clubs hurt their score? Or do only bad players need to be used to their clubs?

I agree with this post btw. I totally disagree with the “a good player is just as good with anything” crowd. Usually the people in that crowd are not good players. It’s just as important, good or bad, especially in wind or soggy conditions.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S