We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Guys that shoot under par. What clubs?

Comments

• JStangJStang  2636WRX Points: 266Members Posts: 2,636
    TollBros wrote:

I am a plus cap, but I don't know about shoot under par more times than not. Haha. If that qualifies to answer, see below.

Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour Issue 8.5

Aldila Tour ATX Green 70tx

Taylormade 2016 M2 Deep Face Tour Issue TS

Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 80tx

Taylormade UDI TP #3

Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White Hyb 100tx

Taylormade UDI TP #4

KBS C-TAPER 130x

Taylormade P790 5-PW

KBS C-TAPER 130x

Taylormade Milled Grind 50

KBS C-TAPER 130x

Taylormade Milled Grind 54

KBS C-TAPER 125 S+

Taylormade EF 58 degree

KBS C-TAPER 125 S+

Taylormade Spider Limited

Are you using the old ATX Green or the new version? I played the older version a few months ago and hit some of my longest drives ever with that shaft.
    Posted:
    '16 M2 Rogue Fairway | 915H 2 | T-MB 3, 718 CB 4-PW | Vokey SM6 52, SM7 58 | Toulon LV
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • mustangmustang  57WRX Points: 55Members Posts: 57
    NRJyzr wrote:

mackberg wrote:

Agree w cradd i am a 4 index and have never shot under par:(

This will make you feel better.... friend of mine, a 9 or so at the time, shot a 69 at the home course, par 71. He was actually -5 at the turn, the pressure got to him a bit on the back. Think he doubled #14, hitting a tree less than 100 yds from the tee on the left.

As far as I know, it's his only time under par.

For those wondering, he was playing tees rated 69.4/121. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

FWIW, I've bounced between 5 and 8 for the last 10 seasons, and have never shot under par.
    I play a par 30 course at home that is the easiest ranked course in our state... I have shot -5 a couple times for 18. Was actually -7 once with my wife and made the mistake of saying so.... finished -4. I have shot under par four times elsewhere. My cap was as low as 1.3 and is up to around 5.8 now. I do not like that the 10 worst scores go away as I "try" the same all the time. I know many who have a casual game and a tournament game and they are NOT similar.
    Posted:
  • tssgj65tssgj65  60WRX Points: 45Members Posts: 60
    Zigzog wrote:

Not sure about more often than not - shot 1 over today on a very hard course with only my 2nd round with new irons.

Inside 120 yards I can beat most people, loads of people can drive it pretty straight and hit fairways - for me wedges and a putter you like is far far far far more important image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Not to thread jack here, but how do you like the 760's and what were you playing? I'm in the 770's and considering the 760's!
    Posted:
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range  4904WRX Points: 251Sponsors Posts: 4,904
    JStang wrote:

TollBros wrote:

I am a plus cap, but I don't know about shoot under par more times than not. Haha. If that qualifies to answer, see below.

Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour Issue 8.5

Aldila Tour ATX Green 70tx

Taylormade 2016 M2 Deep Face Tour Issue TS

Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 80tx

Taylormade UDI TP #3

Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White Hyb 100tx

Taylormade UDI TP #4

KBS C-TAPER 130x

Taylormade P790 5-PW

KBS C-TAPER 130x

Taylormade Milled Grind 50

KBS C-TAPER 130x

Taylormade Milled Grind 54

KBS C-TAPER 125 S+

Taylormade EF 58 degree

KBS C-TAPER 125 S+

Taylormade Spider Limited

Are you using the old ATX Green or the new version? I played the older version a few months ago and hit some of my longest drives ever with that shaft.

The new prototype that just hit Tour 2 weeks ago. I literally just switched over to it from Synergy Black.
    Posted:
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the Corner  4902WRX Points: 215Members Posts: 4,902
    I definitely don’t shoot under par a lot, but every time I had, u til last weekend, was with MP33’s. Long story but I had to play with my buddies MPH5’s (4-pw) and shot 1 under (easy-ish course). My god they were so easy to hit. I got over the chunky short irons pretty quick and was grooving them. I use an MPH5 4i so there’s that, but it’s really got me thinking that I would be better than I am if I wasn’t playing such demanding clubs. It helped that we both play S300’s, but man I was having fun.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
    Cobra F7 15.5*
    Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
    Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
    Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
    Taylormade TPx
  • Asiangolfer1995Asiangolfer1995  123WRX Points: 53Members Posts: 123
    I play off +2.1, I use a mix of everything, and I rotate a 2 iron and 2 hybrid in place of the 5 wood, like everyone said here, whatever works:

Driver: 2016 M1 (8.5 Degrees) Aldila NVS 85X 44 inches

3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotics EX 10 Beta (13 Degrees) Aldila VS Proto By You 80X 43 inches

5 Wood: Nike VR Pro Limited Edition (19 Degrees) Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue 95X 41 inches

Driving Iron: Srixon ZU45 (23 degrees, bent to 22 Degrees) True Temper Dynamic Gold X100 Superlite

Irons: Srixon Z945 (5-PW) True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Cleveland RTX-3 (50 and 56), Tour Edge Rally (60 Degrees) True Temper Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: Odyssey V-Line White Hot Pro
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • MichaelJScottMichaelJScott SchruteFarms  286WRX Points: 29Members Posts: 286
    Ts3 8.5 tour ad iz 6x

J15 mb cb combo set 3-9

790 udi 2 iron

46 vokey

52 vokey

56 hi toe

60 hi toe
    Posted:
  • BiggErnBiggErn  2703WRX Points: 601Members Posts: 2,703
    This just might be the greatest passive brag thread of all time, even by WRX standards.

Wasn’t intended that way. My original intent and hope was it would show that really good golfers use clubs all over the spectrum.
    Posted:
  • jslane57jslane57  3929WRX Points: 25Members Posts: 3,929
    Fun thread to read. There are great clubs from every era. I'm still using Ping ISIs most of the time surrounded by: TM RBZ driver, TM Raylor, TM RAC 54, and a TM TPA V putter. Sometimes I throw in the Wilson Staffs. Doesn't really matter at all, as long as the clubs fit.

If you want to find some consistency in a thread like this, ask about the ball. Of all the posters so far, there are probably only a handful of balls used...
    Posted:
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro AL 3332WRX Points: 299ClubWRX Posts: 3,332
    gators78 wrote:

The best guy in the area Nathan Smith (4 time USGA Mid Am Champ) has used pretty much everything. 690MBs at the Merion Walker Cup, had the TM "B" reduced offset irons, played X Hots in the NGL Walker Cup, used Epics for a while, had the regular Callaway Apex irons, he changes clubs a lot.

I’m a +2.5 and change clubs all the time. It’s a running joke with my friends about how much I change clubs.

I know what style and what specs fit me so I always get equipment that suits me. It doesn’t seem to affect my scores much.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 evenflow white
    Titleist TS2 15* evenflow white 
    Titleist TS3 19 hybrid evenflow white
    Titleist 718 AP2 4-pw kbs tour
    Vokey SM7 52/58 wedges 
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m
  • johnnylongballz72johnnylongballz72  564WRX Points: 48Members Posts: 564
    Got my fair share of under par rounds this season.

PING G400 LST with Diamana Ltd 70 X

PXG 0311T 4-PW with Nippon 120 X

To be fair though the reason I shoot under par (if/when I do) is because of my Bettinardi SS #28. My best round of the year was a bogey free 69 at Oldfield a Greg Norman track in Buffort, SC course rating was 76.7. I only hit 9 greens in regulation, but I made everything I looked at.
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 9 degree with Ventus 6X
    Ping G400 3 wood with Kuro Kage XT 70TX
    Ping I210 4-U with KBS Tour 125 S+
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56 SS and 60 ES with KBS Tour 120 S
    Bettinardi SS #28
    Snell MTB-X 

Advertisement
  • allen981allen981  13WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 13
    I'm 66, and in July stood on our 18th tee box 5 under with a chance to shoot my age. Made par (and turned 67 a month later) but that doesn't happen every day. Clubs you trust and know are most important. Driver was a Callaway Big Bertha (2016 model) with an R flex Kuroage stock shaft. Irons, Taylormade RSi1, Vokey wedges...

But just last week, played with a guy who shot three rounds in the 60s using 20 year-old Big Bertha irons and an Orlimar 420 driver. And, the most accomplished player in our club (4 Senior Ams) uses a mixed bag of homemade clubs. But, he knows exactly what each one does and how to hit them.
    Posted:
  • Olddad918Olddad918  2WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 2
    The answer to your question is in the section on this website called WITB
    Posted:
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank  14805WRX Points: 729ClubWRX Posts: 14,805
    chisag wrote:

... One thing that I find frustrating on WRX is those that think because something is applicable to them it is applicable to everyone. One thing I learned from teaching is everyone is different. For every player that can use any iron and not have it make any difference in their score, there is another that can have very different results using different irons. I have rarely found new irons make any difference in my score but it has certainly happened. Going from MB’s to 762b’s was one such change that made a big difference in my scores. And as stated earlier P790s were game changers for me. I taught a 2 index that played MB’s and I put him in some Maxfli VHLs and he dropped to a + index. Not only did he have better misses he had a better ball flight with his mid/long irons. And yet I had a 10 index playing MB’s that desperately needed a more forgiving iron. I tried several and he hit all of them worse than his MB’s. The irony was his misses were better, but he missed almost every shot where he hit some really nice shots with the MB’s, so we stuck with them.

... The moral to the story is it is always informative to read what works for you but that certainly does not mean it will be the same for everyone.

I’m late to this thread but had to reply to this post. It is simply one of the best posts I’ve read on WRX. It sums up a thought or idea that has been hanging around the edge of consciousness, but couldn’t quite put it all together.

Different strokes (pun intended) for different folks. So many are certain that becasue the way they do something, or what they use to do it, works for them it is THE right way. My goodness, go read the Meta-Awarenss thread in Instruction, talk about some people having ALL the answers.

Great post Chisag!
    Posted:
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • Jordan SpeethJordan Speeth  1091WRX Points: 88ClubWRX Posts: 1,091
    When I was younger and in my physical prime, breaking par two or three times a year, I was using off-the-rack Ping irons (Eye2, Zing, iSi 1-SW) every time. Putter was a Bullseye, Ray Cook mallet or Ping Zing. Driver was MacGregor M85, Hogan 3-wood.
    Posted:
    Cobra F8+ Driver 9.5*- XCaliber Superlite 45 S
    Callaway XR Pro 16* FW- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
    Ping G400 17* 2-Hybrid- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Ping G 22* 4-Hybrid- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Callaway Apex Pro 5-Gap- Steelfiber i95
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 52*/10, 56*/12- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 56- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Odyssey White Hot #7 38"- Superstroke Tank Slim 13"
    Golf Pride MCC Grips
    Wilson Duo Urethane (this week)
    MG Elite Glove
    2018 Ping Hoofer, Eliott Alistair Leather Bag
  • ObeeObee  3982WRX Points: 751ClubWRX Posts: 3,982
    Currently a +1.1. Been as low as +3.5

My bag is in my signature. Check if out for a laugh.... :-)
    Posted:
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)

Advertisement
  • ZigzogZigzog  260WRX Points: 75Members Posts: 260
    tssgj65 wrote:

Zigzog wrote:

Not sure about more often than not - shot 1 over today on a very hard course with only my 2nd round with new irons.

Inside 120 yards I can beat most people, loads of people can drive it pretty straight and hit fairways - for me wedges and a putter you like is far far far far more important image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Not to thread jack here, but how do you like the 760's and what were you playing? I'm in the 770's and considering the 760's!

Hey - I had a set of Hogan's Apex Pro - played them for 10 years+

They were well and truly worn out, I did think of replacing them with the same clubs but thought I would get involved in some of the new tech. Off centre hits is where I notice it the most, go almost as far - big difference from the Hogan's. I am a good ball striker but still grateful of the help :

I tried the others 790, i500 etc but the 760s seemed to suit me best and had more traditional lofts in general; 46 wedge for example and all the lofts are within 1 degree of my Hogan's. Some of the others hit the ball too far with less control for me; I don't need to my a 7 iron 190 yards. I hope to keep these for a long time, as so far they do everything I need of them - only 2 rounds in.
    Posted:

Ping G400 Max - Accra M4 250 FX
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 3 Wood - Tour AD 7S
    Ping S55 - 3- W : KBS Tour 120 S
    Cleveland 588 - 49,53,57
    Edel E1

• DanHGolfDanHGolf  5WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 5
    I'm a +4 now

Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 Project X LZ 60 6.5

Wood: Titleist 917 F2 16.5 Project X Evenflow Blue 75

Irons: Titleist 716 CBs 9-4 and T-MB 3 iron KBS $-taper 120s

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3.0

Putter: Futura X5
    Posted:
  • leejohnkiehleejohnkieh  583WRX Points: 85Members Posts: 583
    Just played a few tournaments (best ball, individual )this weekend and shot under par both times with an all Titleist bag.

Hit the ball really well with the new driver/3w. Haven't felt comfortable over my woods like this is a very long time.

Go with what fits your eye the best!
    Posted:
    Team NIKE
    Titleist TS3 9.5 - GD AD-BB 7X
    Titleist TS2 15* - Diamana LTD D+ 80X
    Mizuno MP-18 Fli-Hi 3 Iron - Tensei Pro White 100TX
    Mizuno MP-18 SC 4-6, MB 7-PW - DG X100 SS
    Titleist Vokey SM6 (50, 54) - Raw
    Titleist Vokey SM6 (58) - Brushed Copper
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M - 34"
    My WITB
    Tacoma Country & Golf Club
  • jbole267jbole267 Calgary 366WRX Points: 87Members Posts: 366
    Had quite a few under par rounds this year actually, surprising -- stuck with the equipment throughout the season.

Taylormade M3 - Tensei Pro Orange

16' M2 3 wood - Stock

Srixon Z745

790 UDI

SM7's + Hi Toe

Taylormade Spider Black
    Posted:
    Taylormade M5 - Hzrdus T1100 6.5
    Srixon Z745 Project x 6.0
    Titleist Vokey Sm7 50-54-58
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 64
    Taylormade Spider X
    Taylormade TP5X
  • gallas2gallas2 Leading my flight in strokes gained punching out Northwest 768WRX Points: 104Members Posts: 768
    IF you're looking for the holy grail here it is: There is no holy grail.

Once you realize this you'll accept that there is no short cut to breaking par. No set of irons is going to miraculously transform your ball striking. No wedge is gonna rip back to a tucked pin and no putter drains every 8 footer. Now, there IS a putter that is suited to your stroke, lie and loft. There is a shaft suited to your swing. Go find out what those are and stick with em.

My index went down when I stopped switching irons, wedges and putters and practiced short game I don't break par that often but I'm down to a 3 and did it twice in a row this year (73.6/129) with P770's, an old odyssey and a Ping G400 SFT with an addi 6s. The two best players in my club play 9 year old irons and putt with 15 year old putters. Newer drivers (both M2) and vokey wedges.
    Posted:
    Z745's, G400, F913, Glides, M1 hybrid and an $80 Odyssey

Advertisement
  • BiggErnBiggErn  2703WRX Points: 601Members Posts: 2,703
    gallas2 wrote:
    IF you're looking for the holy grail here it is: There is no holy grail.

Once you realize this you'll accept that there is no short cut to breaking par. No set of irons is going to miraculously transform your ball striking. No wedge is gonna rip back to a tucked pin and no putter drains every 8 footer. Now, there IS a putter that is suited to your stroke, lie and loft. There is a shaft suited to your swing. Go find out what those are and stick with em.

My index went down when I stopped switching irons, wedges and putters and practiced short game I don't break par that often but I'm down to a 3 and did it twice in a row this year (73.6/129) with P770's, an old odyssey and a Ping G400 SFT with an addi 6s. The two best players in my club play 9 year old irons and putt with 15 year old putters. Newer drivers (both M2) and vokey wedges.

Again, the point of the thread was simply to show very good golf can be played with just about any type of clubs. For entertainment purposes only not to say you have to play a certain type of club to have a chance to be good.
    Posted:
  • jwb10jwb10 Major Winner Mars 1034WRX Points: 150Members Posts: 1,034
    image/bye.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wave:' />

Pencil image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />
    Posted:
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South Texas 2019WRX Points: 905ClubWRX Posts: 2,019
    jwb10 wrote:

image/bye.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wave:' />

Pencil image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />

Lame. Tour pencil. It has an eraser. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    Posted:
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Claw 1.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX (wind) or ProV1X (tournaments) in yellow
  • GnomesteelGnomesteel  988WRX Points: 99Members Posts: 988
    I haven't been breaking par much lately, but I play with guys who often do. The one consistent thing I've found is that they don't tend to switch irons often. Most of these guys game the same set of irons for several years. Woods and putters is another story.
    Posted:
  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OH 2211WRX Points: 300Members Posts: 2,211
    cb24 wrote:

5 years ago, When I was actually playing really well (for me) and I was in the +2 handicap range I was playing a set of mizuno mp68 irons. Sold those for AP2s and never have brought my game back. I went thru 8 sets of irons over the 3 years after I sold the Mizunos and finally settled on a set of Srixon z965s. I think those under par days are coming back, my birdies are going up as my proximity to the hole is going thru the roof and it’s leading to confidence across my game.

My big advice to anyone who to score well, find something you are comfortable and confident with and stick with it and don’t even think about getting another set. Once I started to feel comfortable and trust that these Srixons were the right clubs for me then my scores started getting lower

Great advice. I've got some new Srixon sticks coming an hope for same. This off season I am unloading extra clubs and I am just gonna gave 1 set. Time to dumb the variables and get comfortable as you said.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M6
    Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
    Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
    Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
    SC Phantom X 5.5

Advertisement
  • norge5norge5  1492WRX Points: 57Members Posts: 1,492
    cb24 wrote:

5 years ago, When I was actually playing really well (for me) and I was in the +2 handicap range I was playing a set of mizuno mp68 irons. Sold those for AP2s and never have brought my game back. I went thru 8 sets of irons over the 3 years after I sold the Mizunos and finally settled on a set of Srixon z965s. I think those under par days are coming back, my birdies are going up as my proximity to the hole is going thru the roof and it's leading to confidence across my game.

My big advice to anyone who to score well, find something you are comfortable and confident with and stick with it and don't even think about getting another set. Once I started to feel comfortable and trust that these Srixons were the right clubs for me then my scores started getting lower
    But how will we know when we reached our full potential Sensei?
    Posted:
  • flavaflaveflavaflave  248WRX Points: 62Members Posts: 248
    Plus 4 handicap, use to play mini tour golf

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero, Hzrdus t1100 6.5

Callaway Rogue 3+, Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Epic 2 and 4 Hybrid. KBS Proto 95S in 18, GD Tour AD DI 95x in 23 degree

Callaway Apex 4-7 Iron, PJX 6.0

Callaway X Forged 8-PW, PJX 6.0

Callaway MD4 Raw, 52, 56, 60X, DGTI S400

Toulon Madison 35'' or Odyssey 7s
    Posted:
  • ForTourUseOnlyForTourUseOnly Circle T  1144WRX Points: 177Members Posts: 1,144
    I break par maybe 1 in 4 rounds and you can see my signature. Thinking of going to a more forgiving iron in the near future.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5° w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro Orange 70 TX
    Titleist TS3 15° w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro Orange 90 TX
    Titleist U·500 3i w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro Orange 100HY TX
    Titleist CNCPT CP-02 4i-9i w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
    Vokey BV HandGround SM7 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F, 54.10S, 60.08M w/ DG TI
    Scotty Cameron Roundback Select Tour Black 2.5 Weld Neck
    WITB Link

Advertisement
  • rwhitlockrwhitlock  13WRX Points: 34Members Posts: 13
    I switched from a 917 D3 to the G400 Max (with the tour shaft) and started hitting a lot more fairways. Irons are AP2's (718) with KBS $-Taper 120. To be honest, I don't think the equipment makes a huge difference. For *me* the biggest improvement was the mental side. Confidence, belief, routines, etc all had a much greater improvement in my score.

Rod
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.