Keeping head still while putting issue

Matt5895Matt5895 Members Posts: 6 ✭✭
Im up in Maine. Getting ready for our "winter golf season." Wrapping up a homemade indoor putting green. My goal for the winter is to improve my putting. Not really taken this issue a seriously as I should have in the past. Most of the golf i play is a variation on speed golf. Its after work and its anywhere from 60 to 90 minutes- whatever i can get away with between responsibilities (work, wife, kids). The tail end of this summer my 11 year old son finally engaged with golf and now that he wants to come with me I have way more time to play and have realized the past ten years or so I have really just rushed through my putting to get more holes played in a short amount of time (I know).

So anyway, my specific issue is this- I've always struggled with keeping my head still while putting. I have no difficulty with it in my full swing or chipping. I know its probably mental issue rooted in some sort of golf-anxiety, but Im also sort of hoping i can stumble onto to some sort of tip i've never heard before to keep myself from looking up. The rational part of my brain attributes it to anxiety because it really only happens when a putt is "makable." I don't peek on 60-footers.

I have a long winter ahead of me with lots of time to practice. Would appreciate any tip anyone has that would help.
Tagged:

Comments

• dg_1983dg_1983 Members Posts: 1,284 ✭✭
    Change your focus to keeping the lower half rock steady and still. Often head is moved by the shoulders which in turn is moved by the hips and torso.

Might just need a different thought
    2014 Low 2.9
    2015 Low 2.6
    2016 Low 2.1
    2017 Target 1.4
    2018 Target 0.4
    2019 Target +15
    Current 0.2
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,587 ✭✭
    edited Oct 26, 2018 #3
    dg_1983 wrote:

Change your focus to keeping the lower half rock steady and still. Often head is moved by the shoulders which in turn is moved by the hips and torso.

Agree 100% (not that I'm a pro or anything) and most ams move their hips much more than they realize. Do a test by having a significant other (or 'good' friend) actually hold onto your hips from behind while you make a couple (longer) strokes. The results may surprise you.

Once you get those hips calmed down, there's a good chance the head will follow suite.
  • davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,293 ✭✭

One thing I do before hitting my putt is look at the ball, not the putter head. Putter goes back naturally and my head remains still until the putter strikes the ball.

I also use peripheral vision to track my putt for the first few inches after the strike.

Sounds like you've had the same problem as I do at times. If my eyes follow the putter back and forward, my head moves a bit, and I miss my intended line. Especially on shorter putts, I really concentrate on looking at the ball, not the putterhead.
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,328 ✭✭
    edited Oct 26, 2018 #5
    To me this is the key to my putting, especially short putts. I do 2 things.

1. Actively think "keep you head still, when you putt. Just force yourself to do it, some people practice while listen for the ball to drop in the hole, you don't see it go in.

2. in doors practice putting with your head against a wall, the toe of the putter will brush the baseboard. I just make practice swings like this then make actual putts on my practice green in my basement, with the feeling of my head touching a wall. Outdoors if you have a helper they can put their hand or a club shaft against your head while you putt.

YMMV but these have worked well for me over the years.

Oh, and the previous post about keeping your lower body still is great advice, I believe Monte posted something about that somewhere in a thread. Good advice...I might have to work on that again this winter.

Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, Ping G410 7 wood
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • andrueandrue Members Posts: 1,245 ✭✭
    My putting mat helped me. I put along a white line and I've taught myself to look at the line behind the ball while putting.
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).
  • dodgerdodger Members Posts: 418 ✭✭
    Fix that worked for me. Put a coin six inches outside the ball, but parallel to it. When practicing, focus on the coin and not the ball. For whatever reason it really keeps the head still on the short putts.
  • 300_yard_drives300_yard_drives Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,205 ✭✭
    Put an alignment stick thru your front belt loops and really feel like you keep your hips with zero movement. It's really helped me to zero in on my hips not moving
  • Shrinkwr4pShrinkwr4p Members Posts: 282 ✭✭
    I find a spot 2 or 3 inches in front of the ball, look at that at address, and then watch for the ball rolling over it.

That'll keep your head still till the ball has gone.
  • buckeyeflbuckeyefl Members Posts: 5,910 ✭✭
    Putt with your eyes closed for a time. It will correct the issue and possibly some others.
  • Aviador NavalAviador Naval equus mortuus non caedis Members Posts: 1,146 ✭✭
    edited Oct 28, 2018 #11
    Matt5895 wrote:

Im up in Maine. Getting ready for our "winter golf season." Wrapping up a homemade indoor putting green. My goal for the winter is to improve my putting...

So anyway, my specific issue is this- I've always struggled with keeping my head still while putting. I have no difficulty with it in my full swing or chipping. I know its probably mental issue rooted in some sort of golf-anxiety, but Im also sort of hoping i can stumble onto to some sort of tip i've never heard before to keep myself from looking up. The rational part of my brain attributes it to anxiety because it really only happens when a putt is "makable." I don't peek on 60-footers.

I have a long winter ahead of me with lots of time to practice. Would appreciate any tip anyone has that would help.

What purpose does "keeping your head still" serve other than to enslave you to some mechanical key that you heard somebody once say might work?

From page 131 of Bob Rotella's book, "Putting out of your Mind", Ben Crenshaw would often purposely practice letting his head move a little to ensure he had some rhythm to his stroke. Rumor has it he was a decent putter.

There is a YouTube video where Brad Faxon says something similar. Essentially, focus on flow, not mechanics.

Happy for those folks that key on keeping their head still to do so if it works for them. Just saying, that perhaps, that may not be what works for you...
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    917 D2 9.5
    Original Ti Launcher 3w-13
    TS2 18 deg
    818 H1
    716 T-MB 5i
    919 Tour 6-P
    50-12, 54F, 58D
    Old Mn-Bn Anser
  • larrybudlarrybud Members Posts: 11,282 ✭✭
    Putting mirror, so you can actually tell when you move.

What purpose does "keeping your head still" serve other than to enslave you to some mechanical key that you heard somebody once say might work?

The purpose is so that the face will stay square as intended. I take "keeping your head still" as the same as "don't slide your body forward or backward during the stroke". If you slide your body toward the hole during the stroke, there's no way you're going to be a consistent putter. Now, if you're reading "keeping your head still" as trying to eliminate a 1/2" wobble of someone's head, then I'm with you, but I don't think that's what most people say or think about the issue.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file