Twist face works...or makes it worse? Your experience?

Forged5

Know I'm late to the party.

Playing the GBB as so far nothing has been able to kick it out.

Looking for some newer tech. Mainly adding forgiveness as the GBB gives me great numbers for my swing.

I'm a low spin, low ss (low 90s), single handicap. My game is control.

But who doesn't want longer or more forgiving!!! LOL

Tried the M4. The stiff stock Atmos seemed best that I could get my hands on.

But I was getting some push fades. That's troublesome as I'm a draw player and of course have the occasional push...but rarely a FADE. I don't want to look in the woods right!!!

Reviews either don't talk much about the Twistface or express how it seems to make matters worse. Ric Sheils hated the Twistface so much he didn't include the M4 in his top 10 for 2018.

I enjoyed swinging the club in the sim. Found it forgiving and workable. But those push fades!!!

Callaway Rogue St Max (10.5) - Tensei Blue 55 s
Ping G425 5 wood (set @ 16.5*)- Alta CB s
Ping G425 7 wood (20.5*) - Alta CB s
Ping G425 5 hybrid (26*) - Alta CB s
Srixon Z 785 irons A-6 - NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 s (soft stepped)
Titleist SM8 54S, 58D
Bettinardi Inovai 6 spud neck /  QB6 

Bridgestone Tour B RXS - yellow
“ 6.3 index and going down!!! 63 years old and going up!!!” Lol

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No clue, but Tiger Woods said it helps manage misses and he's one of the greatest drivers of a golf ball the world has ever seen.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

No clue, but Tiger Woods said it helps manage misses and he's one of the greatest drivers of a golf ball the world has ever seen.

What does he know! LOL

But seriously any driver made for a tour pro can be made to fit them in ways then can't or won't do for us. i.e. less or no twistface...

Titleist SM8 54S, 58D

What does he know! LOL

But seriously any driver made for a tour pro can be made to fit them in ways then can't or won't do for us. i.e. less or no twistface...

Oh I know, I just found those commercials ironic

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

I am not sure what it was supposed to be doing. I had an M4 for about 30 rounds. The only remark I can make about it is that I did not realize how draw biased it was until I tested it against other clubs. It was not my favorite driver ever.

That makes sense. But at my ss I need the less spin of a draw to extract those extra few yards.

My GBB is set at neutral as its also slightly draw biased.

Titleist SM8 54S, 58D

It didn't seem to help him with his tee shot on 17 at the PGA...

maybe it would have made a loop back with a regular driver, but the twist face saved him and helped him get par.

I played it for 4 or 5 rounds and found it to be short and not as straight. Go get fit and get the right shaft with the hottest face you can find. That was the Epic SZ for me.

Agree. Was truly hoping the Rogue or SZ would be my next driver but so far I can't stand the dull dead feel. Possibly the shaft. Know I have to loft up. Heard lots of wonderful reviews of both.

The M4 was no longer than the GBB. But does feel more forgiving.

Titleist SM8 54S, 58D

I think it’s a load of balls.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

It didn't seem to help him with his tee shot on 17 at the PGA...

maybe it would have made a loop back with a regular driver, but the twist face saved him and helped him get par.

I don't think so, but it's possible. I was really just making a throwaway joke about the technology. IIRC, the twistface is meant to make toe or heel misses straighter than the more extreme spin the bulge and roll technology imparts. I went back and found a youtube video of that shot and it sounded like he got the center of the clubface, just over faded or sliced it.

The way I understand it....if you are one who struggles with, for example, toe side impact where the shot ends up too far 'left', then the "twist face" could potentially help....

on the other hand, if you are someone who doesn't have that challenge, but instead tends to miss to the 'right',.....then there's the chance that the "twist face" could actually make your dispersion wider (worse)

For me, I felt like it helped on my right to left tee shot, particularly toe shots that would have otherwise been really hard draws were tamed a little. But I had trouble losing it left to right, a shot that's not normal for me. Hard to say if it was the club or not, but I felt like the fade ball was accentuated.

the M3 has 10.5 head is much straighter ,with the weights all the way back is crazy forgiving

I am in the same boat, started the year with an EPIC SZ but moved onto an M3, to me its stupid forgiving and good launch with the two weights at the back.

Now does Twist Face work, I don't know but as my swing has been getting better this year so has my driving. To me the aim of hitting the driver you should really try and hit the middle of it and the middle is big!

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

I'm sure for most golfers over a large enough sample size it probably does help. But even if you play 100 rounds of golf a year and hit 14 drivers per round, we're still only talking about 1400 chances for it to work. And out of those how many are high toe or low heel misses? I'd guess that there would be less than a handful of shots it could even be realistically expected to help on a year for golfers who play a lot. Plus on some of those it probably hurts as much as it helps. Even if on the aggregate it's a positive, that doesn't mean it's a positive every time. In conclusion, it should be about the last thing you consider when you are buying a driver.

Twist face is just slightly less Roll on the face (it's a little more than that, but basically). Several manufacturers have done this in recent years, they just haven't patented a name for it. Modern drivers retain more ball speed on toe/heel shots. If you stuck with traditional roll (and bulge) shapes, the correction can be too extreme. As a few have mentioned, traditional bulge/roll assumes significant loss of ball speed on off centered hits, with modern drivers the drop can be relatively small meaning the toe (or heel) shot corrective spin can go a lot further left (or right) than is good (it's not that there is more corrective spin, the ball just has more energy so it flies farther, or runs longer than it used to for the given strike location, resulting in an over correction). Every modern driver we have tested has less extreme roll (and to a lesser extent bulge) than 10 years ago. TMs is a little more 'sophisticated' in it's shaping, but it's hardly unique. The only people that will have a problem with this trend are people that have grooved a toe or heel strike (which is more common than you would think), and factor in traditional corrective spin for their shot shape.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

i really think if another club company came out with these it would be better received ,but when TM comes out with a driver every 6 months an has another marketing hype around it their is some skepticism and maybe rightly so .I actually have an m4 an m3 ,TS3 AN PING 400 ....For me the M series just sits perfect behind the ball ..,..twist face ,jail break, dragon fly . they all have their gimmik what works best for you

I switched from a D4 driver this year to a M3. Within the last two months I had no idea what direction my drive was going to go. Switched shafts earlier last week and it has gotten a ton better. But one time this last weekend I double crossed it and come off way way left. So i'm not sure what the face actually does int that case. But my misses overall have gotten better.

My take. Yes and yes to the OP’s question. It depends on you and your tendencies.

My story. A Callaway GBB Fusion was my 2017 gamer. Until 2018, it was the best for me driver I had gamed. I had mostly been a PING or Callaway Driver guy the last few years.

With the Fusion, I developed a high toe draw that few farther / straighter than any driver I’d played. However, sometimes that draw turned into a hook. Fast forward to 2018 and the TaylorMade M4. Only the worst swings will go too far left. Most of those that would have been high toe draws with Fusion are now gentle fades that stay in the fairway and just as long as my Fusion.

I will say that if you hit this out on the toe with a wide open face, your miss may get worse. For me, it only happens when I put a really bad, lazy swing on it.

For me, TwistFace works!!!

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

M4 is as long as anything I have tested and with the right shaft combo for launch angle and spin matched to your preferred trajectory, and its plenty forgiving with a toe hit tenancy to hit it a little right, and low heal to go straight and short. I love it for this and have found the sweet spot on my M4 a lot and its as long if not longer than my former JPX900 and ST180 and more forgiving on misses than the JPX900 and toss up for the ST180. I would have kept the ST but the set up of the head was the most closed I have tried recently and the rear of the head at address was a little on the "over sized" side of the modern driver. Not my cup of tee.

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

The way I understand it....if you are one who struggles with, for example, toe side impact where the shot ends up too far 'left', then the "twist face" could potentially help....

on the other hand, if you are someone who doesn't have that challenge, but instead tends to miss to the 'right',.....then there's the chance that the "twist face" could actually make your dispersion wider (worse)

This is me. Twist face absolutely does not work for me. Once or twice a round my miss is high toe with an open face. As I'm sure you can imagine with twist face that is not ideal. It's not for everyone but I know quite a few people it works very well for.

Cobra LTDX 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0

Ping G400 17.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 

Taylormade SIM Max Hybrid 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S 

Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland Zipcore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue X100

Toulon San Diego

I switched from a D4 driver this year to a M3. Within the last two months I had no idea what direction my drive was going to go. Switched shafts earlier last week and it has gotten a ton better. But one time this last weekend I double crossed it and come off way way left. So i'm not sure what the face actually does int that case. But my misses overall have gotten better.

This was my experience as well with my M4. I would draw when I played a fade and fade when I played a draw. It is hot off the face but I have no clue where it is going. I gave up and am currently trying out a Big Bertha Fusion.