Cobra's new King F9 Speedback Driver, Woods, Hybrids and Irons (NO BUY SELL TRADE POSTS)

Comments

•  SwooshLT SwooshLT Members Posts: 6,986 ✭✭
    sjp wrote:

From the pictures I would have chosen the white driver, the yellow was too much for me. Last week I have hit the F9 driver and pre-ordered the ... yellow😀. Driver looks much better in hands than on photos. With the gloss crown finish from the yellow the ridges aren’t that destracting. It looks very good at address👍🏻

What shaft?
  • sjpsjp Posts: 84 ✭✭
    9 degree head with the atmos black 7x
  • SubaruWRXSubaruWRX Members Posts: 3,280 ✭✭
    So how is the driver crown constructed?

The driver has on it printed “ultralight carbon wrap”. Is it a full titanium head with a carbon wrap applied to the top? Or is it a piece of carbon fiber glued to an open top titanium head?
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • extrastiffextrastiff Members Posts: 857 ✭✭
    casey_0507 wrote:
    In all fairness, when the G30 was released everyone lost their minds about turbulators being ugly, then G it was dragonfly, now g400 Max is the best driver ever!!!

The looks are different, people can adapt to looks, they cannot adapt to subpar performance.
    I don't think the max was great cause of turbos, in fact in spite of them.

The moi/cg/paint/sound is y I liked it.

If they would release woods that had the crown of the hybrid I would preorder enough to last me the rest of my golfing days
    g400 max 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    f8 15* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    p790 4i | steelfiber 95x
    black utility onelength 22.5*, 26* | steelfiber 110x
    forged onelength 6i | steelfiber 110x
    p730 7i-pw | steelfiber 110x
    hi-toe 52*9, 56*8, 62*5 | steelfiber 110x
    columbus
    jumbomax tour medium grips
  • casey_0507casey_0507 Members Posts: 1,629 ✭✭
    extrastiff wrote:
    casey_0507 wrote:
    In all fairness, when the G30 was released everyone lost their minds about turbulators being ugly, then G it was dragonfly, now g400 Max is the best driver ever!!!

The looks are different, people can adapt to looks, they cannot adapt to subpar performance.

If they would release woods that had the crown of the hybrid I would preorder enough to last me the rest of my golfing days

That’s my point though, despite the visual things you dislike about the driver, you are playing it cause of the performance and some other subjective things you like. Not too mention the “looks” you don’t like are part of the reason there are so many other things you do like, like CG/MOI/Sound.
    Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6x
    Cobra F7 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
    Cobra King Baffler Aldila Tour Blue 85x
    Cobra Amp Forged 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
    Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
    Spider Tour Red
    edited Nov 4, 2018 #127
    casey_0507 wrote:

extrastiff wrote:
    casey_0507 wrote:

That’s my point though, despite the visual things you dislike about the driver, you are playing it cause of the performance and some other subjective things you like. Not too mention the “looks” you don’t like are part of the reason there are so many other things you do like, like CG/MOI/Sound.

i play it due to lack of choice lol.

I play it because every stupid manufacturer that i consider quality has nonsense on their crown, so i take what i can get. but i traded in my max because i wanted to get a bit of value (knowing i would sell it eventually) and a buddy dinged it up, and i will sell my lst before the new ones are released. and i will continue to do this (buy used heads, sell them before taking a large loss) until a driver with the sound/moi/cg of the top manufacturers, with out the $%#@ on the crown, is released. Doing this with fairway woods as well.

I would not hesitate to play an m3, without the diff. colored strip on the top.

or an f8, without the turbolator stickers and multiple textures.

or a g400 without dragonfly.
    p790 4i | steelfiber 95x
    columbus
    edited Nov 4, 2018 #128
    casey_0507 wrote:

extrastiff wrote:
    casey_0507 wrote:

wait. . . show me numbers backing up the dragonfly affects any of those things. im happy with a diff sound to get rid of the flowery bull on the crown
    p790 4i | steelfiber 95x
    columbus
  • thevaporzthevaporz Members Posts: 2,801 ✭✭
    edited Nov 4, 2018 #129
    I like the yellow version. The classic gloss black finish looks great. I hope to test out the F9, Srixon 785/585 and G400 Max drivers soon. Plus, Bryson just won using the new driver!
    extrastiff wrote:
    casey_0507 wrote:

extrastiff wrote:
    casey_0507 wrote:

wait. . . show me numbers backing up the dragonfly affects any of those things. im happy with a diff sound to get rid of the flowery bull on the crown

Dragonfly Technology

Ultra-thin sections were created by removing eight grams from the crown to better position the CG for high launch/low spin with a high MOI, adding to forgiveness in the Ti 8-1-1 head.

Now I don’t have numbers to back up Ping’s marketing claims, but from driver design it makes sense. And I’m not an engineer but I did watch Driver vs Driver 2 last night.
    Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
    Spider Tour Red
    casey_0507 wrote:

extrastiff wrote:
    casey_0507 wrote:

extrastiff wrote:
    casey_0507 wrote:

Dragonfly Technology

Ultra-thin sections were created by removing eight grams from the crown to better position the CG for high launch/low spin with a high MOI, adding to forgiveness in the Ti 8-1-1 head.

Now I don’t have numbers to back up Ping’s marketing claims, but from driver design it makes sense. And I’m not an engineer but I did watch Driver vs Driver 2 last night.

lol that was funny.

don't drink the cool aid my man. I need numbers, which would only encourage true gearheads to purchase their equipment.

Do the line stickers on top of my f8increase moi/cg also? cause I know they do not increase my club head speed.
    p790 4i | steelfiber 95x
    columbus
    Do the line stickers on the f8 peel off?
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • RH82RH82 Members Posts: 1,982 ✭✭
    All the clubs look ridiculously closed at address.
    Cobra King KTD Pro (9.5*)
    Titleist 917 F2 (16.5*)
    Callaway Apex (20*)
    Srixon Z785 (4-PW)
    Cleveland RTX-4 (50*/56*/60*)
    Toulon Madison
  • dvdtdvdt Members Posts: 10,499 ✭✭
    RH82 wrote:

All the clubs look ridiculously closed at address.

How can you tell? They are hovering

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero
    Touredge CBX 119
    Callaway Apex 2019 combo
    Vokey SM7 54 and 60
    Bettinardi Queen B

• dan_smeedan_smee Members Posts: 28 ✭✭
    Seems the F9 irons don’t put Rickie off...? Just how common is it for an elite tour player to have a GI iron in their bag?
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,172 ✭✭
    dan_smee wrote:

Seems the F9 irons don't put Rickie off...? Just how common is it for an elite tour player to have a GI iron in their bag?

Maybe something about the UT just didn't suit his eye? Also, the 4i I think for F8/F9 is 19.5* while the UT is stock at 22.5* in the 3/4 iron. So... the F9 4i is probably more of a driving iron than the UT actually is.
    WITB
    DRIVER MIA
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge (Hi Toe 58 KBS Wedge in test)
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• BearQBearQ Break 2 Rebuild Members Posts: 3,260 ✭✭
    dan_smee wrote:

Seems the F9 irons don’t put Rickie off...? Just how common is it for an elite tour player to have a GI iron in their bag?

Less offset and modified from retail.

Many tour players have GI irons for long irons. Just look at posted witb. It’s super common at all levels
    LTD Pro (9.5*) - Matrix Type C Prototype 70X
    M2 Tour (15*)  or  (16.5*) - Black Tie 80M4-X  
    P790 UDI #2 (18*)  / TP UDI #3 (19*) - Black Tie HM4 105X  or  Bridgestone XD-H (18*) - Speeder TS 9.8X
    Srixon Z945 (4-P) - Nippon SPB X
    Cobra MB (50*) Nike VR Forged (56*) Cleveland RTX 2 (60.08W)
    Spider Tour Black 

• BearQ wrote:

dan_smee wrote:

Less offset and modified from retail.

Many tour players have GI irons for long irons. Just look at posted witb. It’s super common at all levels

King Black Utility Iron (adjustable loft) + Graphite Design Tour AD DI = BOMBS!!! Just kicked my 5 wood out of the bag which was not the intent with it set at 19.5*...greater versatility with the “GI Iron” and more control.
  • nDroid3nDroid3 Posts: 95 ✭✭
    I wish they would have kept the nardo grey colorway, instead of the avalanche. I’d still like to try them out and see if they are worth the upgrade from my F7s.
  • clichecliche Posts: 756 ✭✭
    nDroid3 wrote:

I wish they would have kept the nardo grey colorway, instead of the avalanche. I'd still like to try them out and see if they are worth the upgrade from my F7s.

trust me on this. i also liked the nardo grey of the F8. but the yellow version of the F9 looks better.
    I thought the Nardo on the F8 “aged” quickly meaning at first I loved it and then in about a month was meh about it
    Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
    Spider Tour Red
  • MrFlapjackMrFlapjack Members Posts: 2,589 ✭✭
    The F9 yellow looks better every time I look at it. I think the hybrids are gonna be winners as well.
    Cobra LTD Pro HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
    Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
    Srixon Z U45 18, 20, 23 () (Testing Cobra F8 and Ping G 3 hybrids)
    Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff) (Testing Cleveland CBX 7-PW, and Nike Vapor Fly 4-6 irons)
    RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff) (Testing Cleveland CBX wedges 48, 52, 56 bent to 50, 54, 58)
    YES Milly - 100gm TLP. (Testing Ping Ketsch Mid)
  • nDroid3nDroid3 Posts: 95 ✭✭
    cliche wrote:

nDroid3 wrote:

I wish they would have kept the nardo grey colorway, instead of the avalanche. I'd still like to try them out and see if they are worth the upgrade from my F7s.

trust me on this. i also liked the nardo grey of the F8. but the yellow version of the F9 looks better.

I have nothing against the yellow. I’m actually a fan of it. I just preferred the nardo grey instead of the new avalanche color.
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,182 ✭✭
    Very interested to see price points in CAD. Cobra was the cheapest big name driver here in 2018. The F8+ retailed for 529$

If they keep a similar price point with a Atmos as a stock offering that is pretty darn cool, especially since Callaway's next driver will require a bank loan
    Ping G400 Max 9 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w//Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-works #7 Red Tank
    Does the F9 driver have something similar to twist face? I saw some diagram explaining it, but closed the window before I really understood what I was looking at. And when I thought about it, couldn’t remember where I saw it in the first place. Actually, I think it was something explaining the low face and upper face being different? Maybe?
  • DFinchDFinch Members Posts: 1,355 ✭✭
    SubaruWRX wrote:

Does the F9 driver have something similar to twist face? I saw some diagram explaining it, but closed the window before I really understood what I was looking at. And when I thought about it, couldn't remember where I saw it in the first place. Actually, I think it was something explaining the low face and upper face being different? Maybe?

Cobra's "E9" face tech has been in place for several generations of drivers now. It's not exactly like twist face but it has the same goals.
    Titleist TS3 9.5* Evenflow White / Cobra F6 3W 14.5* / Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5* / Maltby TS2 DG105 X100 / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Evnroll ER8 Gravity Grip / Snell MTB X
  • NokeNoke Members Posts: 2,083 ✭✭
    edited Nov 12, 2018 #147
    DFinch wrote:

SubaruWRX wrote:

Does the F9 driver have something similar to twist face? I saw some diagram explaining it, but closed the window before I really understood what I was looking at. And when I thought about it, couldn't remember where I saw it in the first place. Actually, I think it was something explaining the low face and upper face being different? Maybe?

Cobra's "E9" face tech has been in place for several generations of drivers now. It's not exactly like twist face but it has the same goals.

Does it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think E9 is just a canted variable face thickness from low heel to high toe, where most shots are missed on the face. Ball speed retention. Their Dual Roll is a change in the face radii to promote a consistent launch angle, similar to Wishon Graduated Roll Tech.

Twistier Face primarily aims to correct directional misses.
    nohny noke wrote:
    DFinch wrote:

SubaruWRX wrote:

Does it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think E9 is just a canted variable face thickness from low heel to high toe, where most shots are missed on the face. Ball speed retention. Their Dual Roll is a change in the face radii to promote a consistent launch angle, similar to Wishon Graduated Roll Tech.

Pretty sure Cobra’s tech accomplishes the same thing as twist face. Mix up I believe has had something similar to twist face for years as well
    Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
    Spider Tour Red
    casey_0507 wrote:

nohny noke wrote:
    DFinch wrote:

SubaruWRX wrote:

Pretty sure Cobra’s tech accomplishes the same thing as twist face. Mix up I believe has had something similar to twist face for years as well

I'm sorry, I don't agree. Pretty sure E9 is all about ball speed on off-center hits. Not directional correction, like Twist Face. These are two separate areas of corrections (maybe a little overlap in ball speed retention, but E9 does not influence the curvature of the face in any way, as far as I can tell). If one throws Cobra's Dual Roll into the E9 package we can talk about similarities in launch angle correction, but not left/right correction like TM Twist Face does in addition to launch correction.

I could be wrong, though. If you could point me to some literature or something that says that E9 corrects left/right misses I will stand corrected.

nohny noke wrote:
    casey_0507 wrote:

nohny noke wrote:
    DFinch wrote:

SubaruWRX wrote:

I'm sorry, I don't agree. Pretty sure E9 is all about ball speed on off-center hits. Not directional correction, like Twist Face. These are two separate areas of corrections (maybe a little overlap in ball speed retention, but E9 does not influence the curvature of the face in any way, as far as I can tell). If one throws Cobra's Dual Roll into the E9 package we can talk about similarities in launch angle correction, but not left/right correction like TM Twist Face does in addition to launch correction.

I could be wrong, though. If you could point me to some literature or something that says that E9 corrects left/right misses I will stand corrected.

From another site.

“While TaylorMade is billing its Twist Face as its greatest innovation in the last decade or so, what the company is describing is, in principle, no different than what you’ll find in Cobra’s new F8 driver. While Cobra chose to focus on its milled face story, buried within those details is the fact that the milled face also features a rotated (you might say twisted) bulge and roll design that effectively – and tell me if this suddenly sounds familiar – increases loft and spin towards the high toe, while decreasing loft and spin on low heel strikes. Not only has Cobra already rotated the bulge and roll to match its existing E9 face technology, but the fact is also that Cobra has been twisting its driver faces dating back to its original AMP line.”

This is pretty much where my knowledge on the subject lies. I think Taylormade is better on the marketing claims than Cobra.

Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
    Spider Tour Red
    Thanks for finding that.

Does sound Twisty indeed, but I think TM actually goes one step further than increasing/decreasing loft on in different ways on various parts of the face. I believe TM actually makes their face more open/closed on the heel and toe.

I’m not sure that **** got it right in that article.