Suggestions on new grips...

GnomesteelGnomesteel Members Posts: 982 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've played Tour Velvet Cords for several years, and while I really like them they tend to wear down very quickly. Got started using them when I lived in coastal Georgia where the humidity required cord grips. Don't really need cord anymore, and I wouldn't mind something a little softer to the touch. Don't think I could ever go as far as a Winn style grip, but I'm open to options. Anything new on the market that's worth checking out? Maybe the CP2 Pro?

Comments

• jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After switching to Lamkin many years ago I would never consider going back to Golf Pride.

So many options to choose from and their corded grips are actually pretty soft. I'm playing the UTX these days but was a Crossline cord guy before that.

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Wishon 565MC 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• SwingBluesSwingBlues We are the Old Dark Navy Blues Members Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I use to be fully into the MCC+4, now I have switched.

Take a look at the Grip Master Perforated or the Kangaroo leather grips (Golfworks). These are leather grips and they are tacky so they will NOT move. I play with no gloves, hot or cold.

Cleaning them is easy, just a wet cloth and wipe down. I have not worn any out and they are way softer on my hands than the cord of the MCC+4
    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero 9*, Fujikura Ventus 6-S finished 44.5"
    Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Honma 737 18* 5 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite

Taylormade P790 4-PW, Nippon Modus 3 105 with ProSoft inserts, Grip Master Perforated leather grips
    Ben Hogan 2018 Equalizer 48* and 52* Forged wedges
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
    Directed Force Reno "2.05" with BGT Stability shaft (Presse V tweaked)

Ball: Srixon XV, 2019 Taylormade TP-5x
    Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!
  • johnnythundersjohnnythunders ClubWRX Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    When I worked in retail I regripped thousands of golf clubs. Winn are very soft but wear very quickly, lots of guys went thru at least one set per year. The firm winns felt hard and plastic like. Golf Pride is number 1 and got the most regrips from them. Ok grips but overpriced the mcc line of cord grips. I played them for a couple years but they worn and got hard. I switch to Lamkin when I started getting arthritis with the grids that had Kevlar in them then on to the ace rel 3gen which were soft, tacky and lasted. Then to utx which is a great cord grip. I see they have discontinued the ace rel 3gen and come out of quite frankly a lot of ugly looking grips with line and different textures, etc. I like a plain black grip with one texture, and a compound that is medium firmness that absorbs shocks.

Staying with Lamkin they were the first and are the best.
    2019bag Big Bertha Fusion 10.5 Fuji evo 661 Stiff, Mizuno st190 5 atmos red 6 regular,  Epic flash 7 Fujikura xlr8 Regular, Rogue 11 fairway wood with Wishon s2s 85 gram black regular, Epic Flash Hybrid 6,  Mizuno 919 fli hi 6/7 kbs tour 90 regular, 8/9, PW Cobra F-max one length smacwrap 780 regular, Pw/Gw Mizuno  919 forged gold dynamic 95 regular, Mizuno s18 56 wedge gold dynamic regular, Toulon Austin, Ball Bridgestone b rx
  • High Plains DriverHigh Plains Driver Chip Yipper Extraordinaire Members Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If you like the profile of the TVFC's, going with the regular Tour Velvet is an easy choice.

The Lamkin Crossline Blacks are comparable. I really like the REL Ace's. They wouldn't appear to be very grippy with the pattern on them, but they are soft'ish and stay tacky.
    I am not brand loyal. I am just seriously OCD.

[font=georgia,serif]Driver: Titleist 910 D2
    Fairway: Titleist 910F 3 & 5
    Hybrid: Cobra Baffler MM 20° & 23°(The Original)
    Irons: Titleist 712 AP2 5-P
    Wedges: Vokey SM4 52° & 58°
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport
    Ball: Titleist ProV1X
    [/font]
  • The Mad HackerThe Mad Hacker Members Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    I really like the Lamkin UTX cord wrap grips. No slip, even in humid or wet conditions, with a nice feel.
    Callaway GBB Epic 10.5 - Hzrdus T800 5.5
    TM RBZ 3 Wood - Matrix Ozik, R
    TM Rescue Mid - M.A.S. 55, S
    Callaway Apex CF16 5 - A, UST Recoil, F3
    Titleist Vokey sm5 (52), Cleveland CG 15 (56), Cleveland CG 14 (60)
    Rife 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Members Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭
    A nice "older school" option would be Lamkin Crosslines. Similar in many ways to the Tour Velvet - but I find they last a lot longer and since you're going no-cord, will likely feel a touch softer than your old corded grips. (But certainly not as soft as a lot of the new compound grips).
  • ckayckay Members Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Pure. Do it. I was a huge Tour Velvet guy but these Pure grips will last seasons.
    Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link
  • @_the_crook@_the_crook Members Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thumbs up for both Lamkin Crosslines and Tour Velvets.
    currently playing:
    Steelhead III , FT-5 - D
    Warbirds, 3+, 4
    Hogan BH-5, 3-PW
    Wilson DynaPowered SW
    Ping Anser
    it works

when I need a change, there are 12 bags full to choose from .
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    A little while ago, received a free sample of this https://www.lamkingrips.com/shop/products/ts1-golf-grips.html

If I don't have half a case of Pure left, I would get some of these. Wonderful feel and did well in all kinds of weather like advertised. Of it's as durable as the OEM advertised then, it's the best grip I had tried in recent years.
  • GnomesteelGnomesteel Members Posts: 982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The TS1 looks interesting. All the things I'd want in a grip, but gawd they're ugly. Why can't they just make an all black one?
  • davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been using Iomic grips for 7 or 8 years now, and I love them. They start pretty tacky, and stay tacky for a long long time. Even when they show wear, and many of mine are 2 years old and have wear spots, the tackiness remains. I've also used the Pure DTX decently, but prefer the Iomics.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file