Odyssey/Toulon putters

Comments

• semarlorsemarlor Charlotte, NCMembers Posts: 613 ✭✭
    PeteW wrote:

My apologies if this has been asked/answered before. Are these stroke lab shafts the same as those stability putter shafts that Barney Adams is pushing?

It is not. Everything I've read says that it is all about the weighting that makes it different. Removing weight from the middle and pushing it to the club head and grip.
  • hef63303hef63303 Members Posts: 2,861 ✭✭

So is it just the Azalea and Austin being offered LH?? The Vegas slant neck NEEDS to be offered in LH please!
    Atlanta, Azalea, Las Vegas, San Diego and Memphis. Vegas Slant neck is not.
  • hef63303 wrote:

So is it just the Azalea and Austin being offered LH?? The Vegas slant neck NEEDS to be offered in LH please!
    Atlanta, Azalea, Las Vegas, San Diego and Memphis. Vegas Slant neck is not.

Well this is the worst news of the day......
  • MSUIRONDAWGSMSUIRONDAWGS Members Posts: 748 ✭✭
    Another view of the Vegas...

• Breezy-3-Breezy-3- Members Posts: 290 ✭✭
    The Las Vegas looks great! I’m sure fans of the 7 are excited to get one in hand and put it through its paces. As for me, id love to see a fully milled Toulon rendition of the 1w.
    Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage DC XT 70TX
    Taylormade M3 3HL Kuro Kage DC XT 80TX
    Titleist 915h 3H AD DI 105X
    Srixon Z785 4-9 Nippon Modus 120x
    Titleist Vokey SM6 46* Nippon Modus 120x
    Cleveland RTX4 50 Mid, 54* Mid & 58* Mid TT TI s400
    Piretti Matera Elite
    Taylormade TP5
  • Byrdman2230Byrdman2230 Members Posts: 308 ✭✭
    These putters definitely have my attention, but the price is pretty steep. I’m liking the Azalea and Vegas. I wish there was going to be a San Francisco in the lineup.
  • delmerdelmer ClubWRX Posts: 439 ClubWRX
    I'm contemplating adding an Azalea to my arsenal but I have to say I'm not a big fan of all the Odyssey branding they added.
  • drbonesvtdrbonesvt ClubWRX Posts: 8,084 ClubWRX
    I wish they would refinish in black
    M5 10.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70TX
     M2 16' Tour Issue 15.0* (14.2*) Diamana D+ Limited 90tx (Tipped 2.5”) @ 43"
    Titleist 2i 18.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)
    Titleist MB 716 3-PW (47* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1)
    54* Wedge Works V grind & 60* Wedge Works M grind - Tour Issue S400
    Bettinardi BB8 Trisole or Toulon San Diego
    Misc Lamkin .580 Reminder ,all woods & 2i hot melted, Ping Hoofer 
    drbonesvt wrote:

I'm not a fan of the black finish. There's something about a painted finish on a putter that I just don't like.
  • leftygolfer15leftygolfer15 Dallas, Tx.Members Posts: 1,287 ✭✭
    Left-handed Vegas flow neck or we riot!
  • chris975dchris975d GeorgiaClubWRX Posts: 1,912 ClubWRX
    delmer wrote:

I'm contemplating adding an Azalea to my arsenal but I have to say I'm not a big fan of all the Odyssey branding they added.

I understand that, but as someone that is in the industry and sells golf equipment, the average golfer doesn't know, nor wants whatever a "Toulon" putter is. It's much easier for Callaway to co-brand Toulon's with Odyssey and build off the back of the brand recognition they've built with Odyssey than it is to try and not do so and try to create brand awareness for what is essentially a totally new brand in Toulon by itself.
    TaylorMade 9* M5 w/GD AD-IZ 6
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Srixon 5-PW, AW Z585 w/Project X LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
    TaylorMade Spider X Copper
  • MSUIRONDAWGSMSUIRONDAWGS Members Posts: 748 ✭✭
    edited Jan 12, 2019 5:19pm #193
    chris975d wrote:

delmer wrote:

I understand that, but as someone that is in the industry and sells golf equipment, the average golfer doesn't know, nor wants whatever a "Toulon" putter is. It's much easier for Callaway to co-brand Toulon's with Odyssey and build off the back of the brand recognition they've built with Odyssey than it is to try and not do so and try to create brand awareness for what is essentially a totally new brand in Toulon by itself.

Completely agree with this statement. We all have to remember, for the MOST part, WRX'ers are very particular(and ho's!) in what they like and want. Very detail driven and equipment geeks. This doesn't pertain to the average Joe that goes into a big box shop and buys something they pick up off the rack. They know "Odyssey" maybe because of watching Phil on TV and that's what may draw them in. Not the boutique branding with Toulon...And there are WAY more average Joe's than us, hence more revenue for Callaway.

chris975d wrote:

delmer wrote:

Completely agree with this statement. We all have to remember, for the MOST part, WRX'ers are very particular(and ho's!) in what they like and want. Very detail driven and equipment geeks. This doesn't pertain to the average Joe that goes into a big box shop and buys something they pick up off the rack. They know "Odyssey" maybe because of watching Phil on TV and that's what may draw them in. Not the boutique branding with Toulon...And there are WAY more average Joe's than us, hence more revenue for Callaway.

Yes. I often wish everyone on enthusiast's sites like this could work in the golf industry with us some time and see what it's really like on this side. Then GolfWRXers would understand why manufacturers market the way they do, why there's not more forged blade offerings or sub-400cc driver heads, why most drivers sit with a closed face, why offset exists, etc. The extreme enthusiasts of most all hobbies are so far removed from the average participant in that hobby that they really can't relate at all. The golfing public as a whole has zero idea what a Toulon is or who makes it. By co-branding with Odyssey, it gets some instant brand awareness that equates to a sense of quality. Instead of having to sell every single potential customer on the Toulon story, just show them that it's a high end/luxury Odyssey. MUCH easier sell. And I sell Odyssey, so I know. LOL.
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
    chris975d wrote:

chris975d wrote:

delmer wrote:

Yes. I often wish everyone on enthusiast's sites like this could work in the golf industry with us some time and see what it's really like on this side. Then GolfWRXers would understand why manufacturers market the way they do, why there's not more forged blade offerings or sub-400cc driver heads, why most drivers sit with a closed face, why offset exists, etc. The extreme enthusiasts of most all hobbies are so far removed from the average participant in that hobby that they really can't relate at all. The golfing public as a whole has zero idea what a Toulon is or who makes it. By co-branding with Odyssey, it gets some instant brand awareness that equates to a sense of quality. Instead of having to sell every single potential customer on the Toulon story, just show them that it's a high end/luxury Odyssey. MUCH easier sell. And I sell Odyssey, so I know. LOL.

I understand the golf business pretty well. I could get around the Odyssey branding but they just couldn't resist throwing a plastic medallion on a beautifully milled putter could they? They did the same thing with the new PM grind wedge. Got it 97% correct and then just had to throw a little piece of plastic on the back.
    delmer wrote:
    chris975d wrote:

chris975d wrote:

delmer wrote:

I understand the golf business pretty well. I could get around the Odyssey branding but they just couldn't resist throwing a plastic medallion on a beautifully milled putter could they? They did the same thing with the new PM grind wedge. Got it 97% correct and then just had to throw a little piece of plastic on the back.

We are talking about Callaway when it's all said and done. And if we know anything about Callaway, it's that they will put a plastic badge on virtually everything!
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
  • KonkliferKonklifer Thinkin' of a master plan... location, location.Members Posts: 7,813 ✭✭
    edited Jan 12, 2019 7:14pm #197
    I don't know if I'll buy it, but I'm glad the Vegas has a flow neck and not a slant. I was initially in love with the 7s but, after a while, felt the slant neck was too slanty. I like the flow of the flow neck much better.
    PING G400 Max 10°
    PING G400 16.5°
    PING G400 hybrid 19°
    PING i25 hybrid 22°
    Callaway XHP 5-AW
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES
    Kevin Burns 9306
    Snell MTB Red Optic Yellow
  • Ed SettleEd Settle #InsideTMAG ClubWRX Posts: 6,047 ClubWRX
    edited Jan 13, 2019 2:06pm #198
    delmer wrote:

drbonesvt wrote:

I'm not a fan of the black finish. There's something about a painted finish on a putter that I just don't like.

Be careful, let’s no confuse anyone. Odyssey’s are painted, Toulon’s are not. Black Pearl is a chemical process, not paint.
    Twitter: @Ed_Settle

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Graphite Design VR-6X
    Fairway 3w: TaylorMade M5 Ti 3/15* GD GP-6X 
    Driving Iron: TM P-790 4/23* KBS Proto Hyb 85S
    Irons: New Level 4-PW Nippon Modus 105 S
    Wedges: New Level 50/52/Callaway Custom 60 WB Grind Modus 115 Wedge 
    Putter: Something new from Toulon Design
    Ball: Callaway ERC Soft/Callaway CSX Triple Track
    Bag: Vessel Black 14 way carry

My WITB
  • MedsonMedson Members Posts: 2,310 ✭✭
    My only complaint is Vegas’ alignment aid. Too busy.

It’s like picking bones from egg. My prayer has been answered.
  • Carolina Golfer 2Carolina Golfer 2 Members Posts: 9,103 ✭✭
    chris975d wrote:

chris975d wrote:

delmer wrote:

This is so spot on. And even guys who work in our pro shop that aren't geeks, think I'm buying some cheap or fake brand when they see a Toulon or Evnroll box show up. It takes quite a bit of education to get them to realize it. Even then most are still skeptical.
    PING G410+ 10.5 CK Tensi Orange 65g
    PING G410 FW SFT 3, 7 and  G410 9 
    PING G410 Hybrid 5, 6
    PING G410 7-P KBS Tour 105 
    PING Glide 2.0  50, 54, 58
    PING Tyne 4 35"

edited Jan 13, 2019 3:50pm #201
    Ed Settle wrote:

delmer wrote:

drbonesvt wrote:

Be careful, let's no confuse anyone. Odyssey's are painted, Toulon's are not. Black Pearl is a chemical process, not paint.

Are you sure about that? Based on the overspray it sure looks like it's a sprayed finish to me. It looks a lot like graphite black Cerkote.
    delmer wrote:

Ed Settle wrote:

delmer wrote:

drbonesvt wrote:

Be careful, let's no confuse anyone. Odyssey's are painted, Toulon's are not. Black Pearl is a chemical process, not paint.

Are you sure about that? Based on the overspray it sure looks like it's a sprayed finish to me. It looks a lot like graphite black Cerkote.

Yes, I am 100%. The new finish is Charcoal PVD a process not paint. The same as the other finishes on the other Toulon’s. What you are seeing isn’t overspray it is where the head is held for the dipped in the tank. Hope that helps.

My WITB
    Ed Settle wrote:

delmer wrote:

Ed Settle wrote:

delmer wrote:

drbonesvt wrote:

Yes, I am 100%. The new finish is Charcoal PVD a process not paint. The same as the other finishes on the other Toulon's. What you are seeing isn't overspray it is where the head is held for the dipped in the tank. Hope that helps.

There is no dipping in a tank for a PVD process. Looks exactly like it would if they were applying a coating like CeraKote.
    I misspoke about PVD being dipped in this finish. But that doesn’t mean that it isn’t held in a fixture for the PVD process. No where in Toulon’s web site and brochures does it ever talk about their finishes being paint.

My WITB
  • redrage22redrage22 Members Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Rolled the Vegas flow neck this morning....they cannot take my money soon enough. Have played quite a few # 7's over the years but they always had an insert. The looks and feel of the milling was incredible. The Exo # 7 Mini wasn't bad if you wanted to save a few bucks.
    Driver - M5 w/ Tensei Pro Orange 60TX / Tensei Pro White 60TX
    Fairway - M5 w/ Tensei Blue 70X / Tensei White 70X
    Driving Iron - P790 UDI with KBS C-Taper Lite X 115
    Irons - Srixon 965 4-PW w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400's
    Wedges - Callaway MD4 Raw 52 56 & 60 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Putter - Toulon Vegas H7 w/ stroke lab shaft  /  Spider X Copper 

• WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Posts: 10,332 ClubWRX
    redrage22 wrote:

Rolled the Vegas flow neck this morning....they cannot take my money soon enough. Have played quite a few # 7's over the years but they always had an insert. The looks and feel of the milling was incredible. The Exo # 7 Mini wasn't bad if you wanted to save a few bucks.

what is the head size like on the Vegas, smaller #7 profile?
    TM Mini 11.5 Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 70
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
  • redrage22redrage22 Members Posts: 39 ✭✭
    Warrick wrote:

redrage22 wrote:

what is the head size like on the Vegas, smaller #7 profile?

I want to say smaller than the current O-Works Black/Red line....but it could also be the finish making it appear smaller.
    Driver - M5 w/ Tensei Pro Orange 60TX / Tensei Pro White 60TX
    Fairway - M5 w/ Tensei Blue 70X / Tensei White 70X
    Driving Iron - P790 UDI with KBS C-Taper Lite X 115
    Irons - Srixon 965 4-PW w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400's
    Wedges - Callaway MD4 Raw 52 56 & 60 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Putter - Toulon Vegas H7 w/ stroke lab shaft  /  Spider X Copper 

• PowerCobra98PowerCobra98 Members Posts: 341 ✭✭
    So much talk about the Vegas. I want some talk/info about the Palm Beach.
  • WarrickWarrick ClubWRX Posts: 10,332 ClubWRX

So much talk about the Vegas. I want some talk/info about the Palm Beach.

That is most likely the way I go if I do a Toulon, looks so good with the flow neck.
    TM Mini 11.5 Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 3w\13.5 - Smoke 70
    F9 Tour 5w\17.5- Smoke 70
    Epic hybrid - 22* Pro White 90
    Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
    Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
    Custom V-Line Fang
    TM TP5X
  • RodrigoNicelyRodrigoNicely Members Posts: 724 ✭✭
    I’ve loved Toulon putters but they really hurt my heart not making a lefty Vegas slant neck. I don’t want them to go the way of cameron and offer little to noptions for lefties.
  • Kirch17Kirch17 Members Posts: 99 ✭✭
    redrage22 wrote:

Stroke lab shaft?