After 3 years of working on golf...

Hey all, I just wanted to take a moment to share something that I was really proud of after years of working on this God-forsaken game :P

This year, my handicap went from 17 to 12. My pro said I went from obvious SGI level to being between blades and GI. Plus, I won my first tournament (with my team) when I sunk a 45 footer downhill, left to right on the 18th green with everyone watching to break the tie on our final hole!

Most importantly, my oldest son at 12 has decided he wants to be my playing partner anytime he can, and we have such a good time. Golf is helping him learn life, and it's an honor to watch.

I'd largely been subject to golf's punishments and to have the team celebrating like that has made this year pretty special. Many terrible rounds lay ahead as we all know, but I thought i'd share some victories for those of you who might need it. Hope is out there lol.

This game is spectacular.
The Grint App - CigarNate

Current Setup for 2019:

Ping Rapture - TFC 109 stiff
Titleist 917f2
Titleist 909H 19*
Titleist 909H 21*
Wilson FG Tour F5 5-G DG S300
Callaway V-forged 54*
Callaway V-forged 58*
Odyssey O-Works #7s

Comments

• masamitsumasamitsu Members Posts: 2,481 ✭✭
    Enjoy the time with your son, it'll create memories you'll have forever. I can't wait for my little guys to get to this point.
    Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
    Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
    Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
    Titleist 4i AMT S300
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
    Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
    Carbon Ringo 1/4
    Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+
  • StogiesNotBogeysStogiesNotBogeys Posts: 267 ✭✭
    masamitsu wrote:

Enjoy the time with your son, it'll create memories you'll have forever. I can't wait for my little guys to get to this point.

It really is special. He finally connected on a drive and "holy s***" slipped out lol... I told him in case like this (away from his mom) it's 100% all good :P

Current Setup for 2019:

Titleist 917f2
    Titleist 909H 19*
    Titleist 909H 21*
    Callaway V-forged 54*
    Callaway V-forged 58*
    Odyssey O-Works #7s
  • FergusonFerguson Executive Member VAMembers Posts: 4,424 ✭✭
    Great read. I never REALLY enjoyed the game until I started playing with my boys.

Thanks.
  • Lancj1Lancj1 Posts: 883 ClubWRX
    Wow, that's fantastic! Blades......... image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    G Max Driver, Tour 65 Stiff
    G400 3 & 5 Woods Alta CB Reg
    G400 2,3,4,5 Hybrids Alta CB Reg
    G410 Irons, 6-U, Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Glide Stealth 54 (SS) & 58 (WS) Green Dot, Alta CB Reg + 1/2"
    Ping Sigma 2 Valor, Stealth

Disclaimer*

I'm a handicap golfer in my 50's. Any opinions I have about golf equipment or professional golfers or the game in general should be taken as seriously as you would the opinions of a random guy in the fourball ahead of you who just shot 92 but is usually better than that.
  • Golfer4LifeGolfer4Life Bob Parsons Bodyguard, Chump! ClubWRX Posts: 2,152
    Ferguson wrote:

Great read. I never REALLY enjoyed the game until I started playing with my boys.

Thanks.

Ferg, I never thought you had a softer side, lol....jk!

Good for you!
    PXG Derangement Syndrome, it is real.......<br /><br />Equipment:<br /><br />A bag full of PXG’s<br />Non Titleist Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009<br /><br />“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”
  • ObeeObee ClubWRX Posts: 3,662 ClubWRX
    edited Oct 30, 2018 #7
    So fantastic. And yes to playing with your boy. My son hangs out here on the board. Golf (and Tiger!) is a bond that we will always have....
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • FadeFade Members Posts: 1,122 ✭✭
    Wonderful story, OP! Shame on me for expecting a negative post after reading the thread title.
  • SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members Posts: 892 ✭✭
    Awesome!
  • Golfer4LifeGolfer4Life Bob Parsons Bodyguard, Chump! ClubWRX Posts: 2,152
    Congratulations!
    PXG Derangement Syndrome, it is real.......<br /><br />Equipment:<br /><br />A bag full of PXG’s<br />Non Titleist Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009<br /><br />“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”
  • Awesome to hear, im sure it was a thrilling feeling to capture the win for your team. This was my 3rd season back playing after a 10 year layoff and ive finally started to break 90 this year, Im not sure what I would do if I hit a 45 foot putt !!
    [font=Titillium, Arial, sans-serif]Au revoir, gopher ![/font]

[font=Titillium, Arial, sans-serif]Driver: Titleist 913 D2[/font]
    [font=Titillium, Arial, sans-serif]3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotics Trilogy 15 degree[/font]

[font=Titillium, Arial, sans-serif]3 Hybrid Ping I20 20 degree[/font]
    [font=Titillium, Arial, sans-serif]4 Hybrid: Ping G25 23 degree[/font]
    [font=Titillium, Arial, sans-serif]5-Gap Wedge: Ping G30 [/font]
    [font=Titillium, Arial, sans-serif]Sand Wedge: Ping Glide 56 degree [/font]
    [font=Titillium, Arial, sans-serif]Lob Wedge: Ping Glide 60 degree[/font]
    [font=Titillium, Arial, sans-serif]Putter: Lynx Black Cat BC3 center shaft [/font]
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Members Posts: 3,510 ✭✭
    Small thread hijack here but only because we are talking about our wonderful sons.

Today my son is interviewing with the firm I spent 30 years with and recently retired from. I’m probably more nervous than he is but so danged proud of him.

In the old days I could simply tell someone in HR to make it happen. The firm has gotten so large that these days he’s just another candidate.

Please send him some positive vibes! The power of manifestation🙏
  • allen8862allen8862 Members Posts: 32
    Congrats on all of the success!
  • Conrad1953Conrad1953 Members Posts: 14,948 ✭✭
    Sinking a 45 footer to win the match is awesome!
  • IVMIVM Posts: 454 ClubWRX
    Congratulations and enjoy playing with your son .
  • sprcoopsprcoop Tucson, AZMembers Posts: 774 ✭✭
    It must have felt like a cattle prod hit you (in a good way) when that 45 footer dropped. Well done!!!

Driver: TaylorMade R7 425CC 8.5* Grafalloy blue S
    3W: Titleist 910F Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R
    5W: TourModel III True Temper S
    2I: TourModel III True Temper S
    3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S
    SW: TourModel III True Temper S
    Putter: Cobra Anvil 005

• Railroading13Railroading13 NebraskaMembers Posts: 603 ✭✭
    Golf is the best game on Earth. Having the right perspective when playing is everything
    WITB

Cobra King LTD 9.5 Fujikura Pro 73 X
    Cobra Bio Cell 14.5 Diamana D+ 80 X
    Cobra Bio Cell+ 18.5 Diamana Ahina 80X
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4-5 KBS Tour 130X
    Mizuno MP18 SC 6-PW KBS Tour 130X
    Mizuno S18 GW 52.9
    Mizuno T5 SW 56.14
    Callaway PM Grind 60.10
    Odyssey O Works 7s W/ Superstroke 50G counterweight
  • andrieddleandrieddle Posts: 1,798 ✭✭
    I'm coming up 3 years of golfing and there are times I feel like quitting, but haven't yet, my time would come! Great story OP
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra Fly Z+ (11)
    Cobra Bio Cell 4W (16)
    TaylorMade R15 4H (21)
    FourteeN TC 606 (5-P/A)

Bridgestone J15 (50)
    Callaway MD2 (56/60)
    Odyssey EXO 7S
    [/font]
  • bazinkybazinky Members Posts: 1,648 ✭✭

Hey all, I just wanted to take a moment to share something that I was really proud of after years of working on this God-forsaken game :P

This year, my handicap went from 17 to 12. My pro said I went from obvious SGI level to being between blades and GI. Plus, I won my first tournament (with my team) when I sunk a 45 footer downhill, left to right on the 18th green with everyone watching to break the tie on our final hole!

Most importantly, my oldest son at 12 has decided he wants to be my playing partner anytime he can, and we have such a good time. Golf is helping him learn life, and it's an honor to watch.

I'd largely been subject to golf's punishments and to have the team celebrating like that has made this year pretty special. Many terrible rounds lay ahead as we all know, but I thought i'd share some victories for those of you who might need it. Hope is out there lol.

I'm really happy for you!

Enjoy that time with your son. There is something special about sharing an athletic bond with a parent. My dad and I shared a similar bond over tennis, practicing, traveling to all my junior tournaments, and him coming to many of my college events and matches. Unfortunately, my father passed away too young and quite suddenly. I know several people that suffered similar tragedies, and it really messed them up because they wish they had spent more time or had a better relationship with their fathers. Although my Dad never got to meet my wife and daughter, it helps a lot knowing all the times we spent together, and that there wasn't anything unresolved or unsaid in our relationship even though his passing was unexpected.

You never know how much time you'll be given together, so make the most of it!
    Cobra LTD @10.5 - UST Elements Chrome 6F4
    Titleist 917 F2 16.5 @C1 (15.75) - MRC D+ Limited 80 S
    Callaway X2Hot Pro @20 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S
    Callaway X2Hot Pro @23 - Aldila Tour Green 75 S or Ping i20 4i - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
    Ping i20 5i-UW - KBS Tour S - Yellow Dot
    Ping Glide 54 SS - CFS Wedge S - Blue Dot
    Ping Glide 58 ES - CFS Wedge S - Black Dot
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red Half-Sightline - 35"
  • deedolcedeedolce Members Posts: 15
    Love it! I don't think there's much of a chance for our kids to take it up, at 28 and 30 and shown no interest in my new hobby, but I'm hoping that future grand kids will be influenced by this set of grandparents to swing the club. Although on the other hand, since I took it up at 58 a couple of years ago, who knows?
    sprcoop wrote:

It must have felt like a cattle prod hit you (in a good way) when that 45 footer dropped. Well done!!!

That's a great description. The other team was waiting for us on the 18th green, even down to when we hit our approach shots. I put a 6-iron on to dance floor, but after stroking the putt time kind of slowed down and I just remember thinking "that's on line".

When it vanished all I remember are team mates on my back and fist bumps. Also a distinctive "F*** YOU" from a guy on the other team lol

Current Setup for 2019:

Titleist 917f2
    Titleist 909H 19*
    Titleist 909H 21*
    Callaway V-forged 54*
    Callaway V-forged 58*
    Odyssey O-Works #7s
    bazinky wrote:

Enjoy that time with your son. There is something special about sharing an athletic bond with a parent. My dad and I shared a similar bond over tennis, practicing, traveling to all my junior tournaments, and him coming to many of my college events and matches. Unfortunately, my father passed away too young and quite suddenly. I know several people that suffered similar tragedies, and it really messed them up because they wish they had spent more time or had a better relationship with their fathers. Although my Dad never got to meet my wife and daughter, it helps a lot knowing all the times we spent together, and that there wasn't anything unresolved or unsaid in our relationship even though his passing was unexpected.

I had to take my Dad off life support on Father's Day 2010. He built my interest in golf, but never let me play with him because of numerous (complicated) reasons. I'm working to see that it's different with my sons.

Current Setup for 2019:

Titleist 917f2
    Titleist 909H 19*
    Titleist 909H 21*
    Callaway V-forged 54*
    Callaway V-forged 58*
    Odyssey O-Works #7s
  • silver504silver504 Posts: 92 ✭✭
    congrats!
  • ObeeObee ClubWRX Posts: 3,662 ClubWRX

bazinky wrote:

I had to take my Dad off life support on Father's Day 2010. He built my interest in golf, but never let me play with him because of numerous (complicated) reasons. I'm working to see that it's different with my sons.

If you some day have the the inclination to put those reasons down in writing, I think it would be an interesting (though likely sad) read....
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • kozubskozubs Posts: 269 ✭✭

Got to admit that your post made me smile. Great to hear that golf is giving you so much enjoyment and time with you son.
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 652 ✭✭
    Congrats to the OP! I love and hate this game like all of us, I assume. Good days on a golf course cannot be beat.

I really wish my son liked golf. He's a big, strong kid and can hit it a mile when he connects with it. But he has only ever really gone to the range with me (a few times on the course but he was just along for the ride, mostly). And he absolutely will not listen to me regarding his swing. So frustrating! He loves basketball, though, and that is our "bonding" sport, and I have coached him for many years now, and it has been awesome to see him get better. He will end up better than I ever was, which is cool. But I've had 3 knee surgeries over the past handful of years, so I only fool around on the basketball court with him now...no more competitive pickup games for me unfortunately.

I would ask for tips on getting a kid interested in golf, but I'm generally of the belief that you expose them to it as much as you can, try to make it fun, and they will either take to it or they won't...
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,370 ClubWRX
    I assume that your an athlete in some other sport, to have done so well, so soon? I play with guys that moved rather quickly and one was a baseball pitcher in high school. That putt will be for ever!!
    GBB Fusion HT 13.5
    GBB XR16 5 & 7 WD
    GBB OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    P790 5-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • marmooskapaulmarmooskapaul Posts: 1,341 ✭✭
    edited Dec 25, 2018 #28
    I'm not convinced he's talking about human kids????

Ferguson wrote:

Thanks.

Ferg, I never thought you had a softer side, lol....jk!

Good for you!