Best utility/ driving iron to fill in 3 iron for JPX 900 tours?

Louisking1Louisking1 Members Posts: 152 ✭✭
Anyone have any recommendations for utility/ driving iron got 4-pw in mizuno 900 tours looking 3 iron replacement looking for gd feels and looks?

Comments

  • SC-TX 88SC-TX 88 Members Posts: 1,028 ✭✭
    I’m using the OG UDI 3 with my 900 tours.
    M5 9.0 w/ Tensei White 70X tipped 1.5”
    M2 2017 TI T3 (actual 13.7) w/GD AD TP 8X tipped 0.5”
    M2 2016 TI 18 w/ Fujikura 93X Pro Spec tipped 0.5”
    UDI 3 w/Fujikura Pro 115 Tour Spec X-Flex
    Miura MB 001 3-PW w/ PX LZ 7.0
    Raw SM6 54.08M, WedgeWorks 60 T Grind (54/60 DGTI S400)
    Machine M1A (“Tiger Proto”), TM Spider X, Toulon Atlanta, Piretti GSS

  • Louisking1Louisking1 Members Posts: 152 ✭✭


    I’m using the OG UDI 3 with my 900 tours.


    OG Udi ? Mizuno mp18 one ?
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,440 ✭✭
    I have the 900tours and have a mph5 3iron.
  • siegs07siegs07 Members Posts: 63 ✭✭
    I hit the MMC Fli Hi 2 and 3 irons and love them, but if that didn’t work for me I was going to be looking at the p790 udi because I think that thing looks sweet. I didn’t care the for callaway xforged UT.



    Did I see in another topic Mizuno might be coming out with a JPX style driving iron next year?
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha
    Cobra King F9 Tour 4w
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 2i and 3i
    Mizuno MP-18 SC 4-PW
    Mizuno T7 52* and 58*
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport
  • Louisking1Louisking1 Members Posts: 152 ✭✭
    siegs07 wrote:


    I hit the MMC Fli Hi 2 and 3 irons and love them, but if that didn’t work for me I was going to be looking at the p790 udi because I think that thing looks sweet. I didn’t care the for callaway xforged UT.



    Did I see in another topic Mizuno might be coming out with a JPX style driving iron next year?




    JPX style one would be interesting. JPX 900 tour 3 iron is 21 degree was looking at MMC fli hi if I went with would have to go 4 iron option in mmc because of loft 3 iron option is 19 degree 4 iron in 22 degree
  • Louisking1Louisking1 Members Posts: 152 ✭✭
    Have heard great things about Callaway and Srixon aswell for driving irons
  • SC-TX 88SC-TX 88 Members Posts: 1,028 ✭✭
    Louisking1 wrote:



    I’m using the OG UDI 3 with my 900 tours.


    OG Udi ? Mizuno mp18 one ?




    Sorry, the original Taylormade udi release
    M5 9.0 w/ Tensei White 70X tipped 1.5”
    M2 2017 TI T3 (actual 13.7) w/GD AD TP 8X tipped 0.5”
    M2 2016 TI 18 w/ Fujikura 93X Pro Spec tipped 0.5”
    UDI 3 w/Fujikura Pro 115 Tour Spec X-Flex
    Miura MB 001 3-PW w/ PX LZ 7.0
    Raw SM6 54.08M, WedgeWorks 60 T Grind (54/60 DGTI S400)
    Machine M1A (“Tiger Proto”), TM Spider X, Toulon Atlanta, Piretti GSS

  • irvtrainirvtrain Members Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    I have 3-PW 900 Tours. Some disclaimer, I like to tinker a little too much. Last year I used the 3 iron but took out the 4 iron. This year I wanted more height and put the 4 iron back in and 3 iron out. So I've been trying a lot of different driving irons this year. I've have had these in the bag at one point or another this year: the MP 18 Fli Hi, Apex MB, Srixon U65, Titleist 718, and 790 UDI. For me, I've had mixed results. The main issue being that driving irons are hollow, not truly forged, and have no head weight. The U65, 790 UDI is too low spin and too low. So swing weight is just too light even though I'm putting the Modus 120x in them to fit the rest of my set.



    Long story short, driving irons are very inconsistent for me and contact is iffy at best. I think this is due to the way they feel when you swing them. So I'm going to bend my 3 iron strong as I hit my long irons better than driving irons. I'm holding out for the JPX driving iron to be one solid forged piece.



    My advice is find a forged long iron from Mizuno that will fit into your bag. The problem with playing the 900 tours, is they are basically a perfect iron and trying to get something that is similar seems to be impossible.
  • orblessorbless Members Posts: 130 ✭✭
    I always liked the older Mizuno fli hi's and gamed a few different versions. Currently I am using a Titleist 712U with steelfiber shaft that has been great. Can give it the stinger treatment but also hit it high and get it to stop on greens.
  • SSwansonSSwanson Members Posts: 35 ✭✭
    I'm gaming the 900 tours 4-PW and I'm currently using a TM P790 UDI 2-Iron that has been bent to 18.5 degrees, and shortened 1/2". I chose it simply because I hit it the best, but there are a lot of good options.



    I used to game an older Mizuno MP Fli-Hi, and that was really good, but a little difficult to hit off the deck. The MP-H5 performed well and was much easier to hit, but it was pretty chunky looking at address. That might be something to consider if that sort of thing bothers you. The MP-18 Fli-Hi's looked amazing, but for some reason I was not getting the numbers I was hoping for with them. It definitely could have been the shaft in the demo club I was hitting, and price-wise, they're one of the best deals out there on new driving irons.



    I also hit the Callaway X-Forged Utility iron and was very impressed with the performance. The Taylor Made was more consistent for me though, and a bit cheaper, so that's what I went with in the end.
    Titleist TS-3 9.5 degree Driver
    Titleist TS-2 16.5 degree Fairway
    Taylor Made P790 UDI
    Mizuno JPX900 Tour 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 60.10S
    Scotty Cameron Newport Milspec 34"
  • Louisking1Louisking1 Members Posts: 152 ✭✭
    Think I might try mp18 fli hi and Srixon u85
  • manima1manima1 Members Posts: 708 ✭✭
    Louisking1 wrote:


    Think I might try mp18 fli hi and Srixon u85




    The srixon U45/65/85's are all really good.



    Save some money and get a 45 or 65 - they are the identical club.
    M5 9.0 - Kuro Kage Dual Core 80tx tipped 1"
    '16 M2HL 16.8 tour issued deep faced - Fujikura 8.3 TS
    zU45 18 degree - S400
    z745 4-9 - S400
    SM6 46.08F - S400 Chrome
    SM6 50.08F - S400 Steel Gray
    SM7 54.10S - S400 Raw
    SM5 60.08M - Wedge Flex Raw Black
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser V-line
  • Louisking1Louisking1 Members Posts: 152 ✭✭
    Found a Srixon u45 near me where I live for sale 70 pound- 90 dollars not bad for it 20 degree stiff Miyazaki shaft will hit tomorrow to see wat it is like

  • manima1manima1 Members Posts: 708 ✭✭
    Louisking1 wrote:


    Found a Srixon u45 near me where I live for sale 70 pound- 90 dollars not bad for it 20 degree stiff Miyazaki shaft will hit tomorrow to see wat it is like





    Overpriced for a used version - you should be able to find a U45 brand new for that price. Also, that Miyazaki shaft is no good unless you really need help with launch. I immediately swapped the lightweight Nippon shaft in mine for a S400 and big improvement in ball flight.
    M5 9.0 - Kuro Kage Dual Core 80tx tipped 1"
    '16 M2HL 16.8 tour issued deep faced - Fujikura 8.3 TS
    zU45 18 degree - S400
    z745 4-9 - S400
    SM6 46.08F - S400 Chrome
    SM6 50.08F - S400 Steel Gray
    SM7 54.10S - S400 Raw
    SM5 60.08M - Wedge Flex Raw Black
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser V-line
  • Louisking1Louisking1 Members Posts: 152 ✭✭
    manima1 wrote:

    Louisking1 wrote:


    Found a Srixon u45 near me where I live for sale 70 pound- 90 dollars not bad for it 20 degree stiff Miyazaki shaft will hit tomorrow to see wat it is like







    Overpriced for a used version - you should be able to find a U45 brand new for that price. Also, that Miyazaki shaft is no good unless you really need help with launch. I immediately swapped the lightweight Nippon shaft in mine for a S400 and big improvement in ball flight.


    I thought it was ok price yeah was thinking the shaft might be high launching was thinking of reshafting it with s400 or x100
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,015 ✭✭
    Just got rid of my 900Ts, but I had them in 5-PW and used a z545 4I with them.

    Still useful off the deck and tee, unlike the 'driving iron' style which I don't get on with, off the deck.
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,015 ✭✭
    I didn't even set this up image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

    I just did a quick search and here it was, asking to be bought:

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SRIXON-Z545-3-IRON-STIFF-FLEX-STEEL-SHAFT/223207299841?hash=item33f8311b01:g:c-UAAOSwvO5b1YNo:rk:1:pf:0
  • Chuck905Chuck905 Members Posts: 1,148 ✭✭
    edited Nov 1, 2018 #19
    I did experiment with my U45 20* bent to 21* with a Recoil 110 and it fits well in that the swing weight is close considering I play the S300 AMT.



    The downside is that the driving iron becomes exactly that, where I want drive it off the tee into fairway and not surgically place pin the ball into greens like my set 3 iron. If I need to drive a ball off the tee, the two iron utility is the correct job.



    Honestly, the set 3 iron is very easy to hit off the tee and fairway. Took me a few swing lessons to validate the long iron game.



    Unless you need you need more yardages, I would stick with the set 3 iron.
    Epic SZ 10*, Tensei White 75
    Epic SZ Strong 3 Wood, 13.5*
    U45 17*, Recoil 110
    3-PW Mizuno MP18 Blades
    Mizuno T7s 54-8 SW and 58-12 LW
    Odyssey RX9
  • Louisking1Louisking1 Members Posts: 152 ✭✭
    Chuck905 wrote:


    I did experiment with my U45 20* bent to 21* with a Recoil 110 and it fits well in that the swing weight is close considering I play the S300 AMT.



    The downside is that the driving iron becomes exactly that, where I want drive it off the tee into fairway and not surgically place pin the ball into greens like my set 3 iron. If I need to drive a ball off the tee, the two iron utility is the correct job.



    Honestly, the set 3 iron is very easy to hit off the tee and fairway. Took me a few swing lessons to validate the long iron game.



    Unless you need you need more yardages, I would stick with the set 3 iron.




    Was looking a 3 iron but non around with x100 shaft 😒
  • manima1manima1 Members Posts: 708 ✭✭
    Louisking1 wrote:

    Chuck905 wrote:


    I did experiment with my U45 20* bent to 21* with a Recoil 110 and it fits well in that the swing weight is close considering I play the S300 AMT.



    The downside is that the driving iron becomes exactly that, where I want drive it off the tee into fairway and not surgically place pin the ball into greens like my set 3 iron. If I need to drive a ball off the tee, the two iron utility is the correct job.



    Honestly, the set 3 iron is very easy to hit off the tee and fairway. Took me a few swing lessons to validate the long iron game.



    Unless you need you need more yardages, I would stick with the set 3 iron.




    Was looking a 3 iron but non around with x100 shaft ��




    X100 is literally a <$30 shaft and you don't even need a shaft puller to remove steel shafts. You need heat, some sandpaper, epoxy, and a ferrule and you can swap steel shafts all day.
    M5 9.0 - Kuro Kage Dual Core 80tx tipped 1"
    '16 M2HL 16.8 tour issued deep faced - Fujikura 8.3 TS
    zU45 18 degree - S400
    z745 4-9 - S400
    SM6 46.08F - S400 Chrome
    SM6 50.08F - S400 Steel Gray
    SM7 54.10S - S400 Raw
    SM5 60.08M - Wedge Flex Raw Black
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser V-line
  • stoneydukesstoneydukes ClubWRX Posts: 313 ClubWRX
    I love my MP18 Fli Hi and just ordered a set of Z545 for the back up bag that has a 3 iron that looks money.
    TaylorMade M5 Tour AD TP6S or HZRDUS Smoke 70S
    Cobra F7 3-4 15.5* Fujikura Pro 65S
    Cobra F7 3H Fujikura Pro 75S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW Modus 120S
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50, 54, 60
    EvnRoll ER2
  • aussiebaussieb Lefty Boomers Posts: 811 ✭✭
    JPX919 Hot Metal 4i which is 20* with PX LX Tour 6.0 (90g), will do everything you'll need from any lie and sounds like a forged Mizuno. I use one to gap from 5i to U65 2i. Never would've looked at this, but glad I did.
    Mizuno ST 190 9.5*, Accra Tour Zx475 M5, 44.5" Epic SZ 15*, GD Quattrotech 8X, 42.5" Ping G400 19*, GD DI-95X, 40.5" Srixon U65 18*, GD DI-105X, 40" Callaway Apex MB 4-P, Pro Modus 130X Calllaway MD Forged 52, 56, 60* Pro Modus Wedge 125 Toulon San Diego 33.5" 2017 Srixon XV
  • Louisking1Louisking1 Members Posts: 152 ✭✭


    I love my MP18 Fli Hi and just ordered a set of Z545 for the back up bag that has a 3 iron that looks money.


    Bought a Srixon u45 which is really gd but think ill go mp18 fli hi 4 iron and get bent to 21 degree to suit the irons and keep the Srixon for second set I’m building
Sign In or Register to comment.