Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Wilson Duo Professional. new for 2019

13»

Comments

• Break81Break81 Broke80 Members Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Played the new Professional in matte yellow for about 9 holes. Was not a bad ball but didn't feel like it was outstanding in any area either. Felt great off the irons, but maybe softer than I like off the Driver and putter. Green were super hard and not holding much but these seems to do ok with a wedge from a tight lie.

Visibility was good, but not eye popping like the Superbold, at least not in yellow. Might pick up a sleeve in Orange to try that but overall it's not what I was hoping for so far.
    Cobra F7+ - Stiff
    Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
    Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
    EVNROLL ER5
    Srixon XV - Yellow
  • swine7777swine7777 Members Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited Dec 24, 2018 #63
    Liked the project (a) better.
  • swine7777swine7777 Members Posts: 67 ✭✭
    Break81 wrote:

Played the new Professional in matte yellow for about 9 holes. Was not a bad ball but didn't feel like it was outstanding in any area either. Felt great off the irons, but maybe softer than I like off the Driver and putter. Green were super hard and not holding much but these seems to do ok with a wedge from a tight lie.

Visibility was good, but not eye popping like the Superbold, at least not in yellow. Might pick up a sleeve in Orange to try that but overall it's not what I was hoping for so far.
    I Agree /+1
  • kjruleskjrules Members Posts: 122 ✭✭
    Played two rounds with the Wilson professional white color.

Cover- it is grippy and held up very well, hit a tree and it was fine but after second round it stated to absorb colora from the greem chem that the course spray on grass.

Feel- Soft feel but not Duo U, which for me almost hated it because it was too soft.

Off driver- good feel with less spin, not the longest but similar to chormw soft in driver distance. but definitely lower flight than other harder balls

Irons- on point, compresses really well and went the distance even on slight miss hits- great feel offf the irons shots

Full Wedges- spin was good but not the spiniest ball/ if you spin the ball too much with wedges this would be a good ball- hit hop stop.

Short chips- check, stop release about yard more than pro v or z star

Putter- using scotty cam newport 2 and felt soft much softer than pro v brodgestone or srixon z start.

Conclusion- it is a ball that does the job really well but not exceptional in any criteria that you expect from tour ball, it kind of feel like an older brother of chorm soft as it does everything that chrome soft does but in a more predictable way. But feel itself is addicting and if you like chrome soft, I think this is much better option, especially for its price beinf $35 per dozen.

Wilson is making right steps in all departments especially this ball will be ideal ball for those who seek soft tour level ball with less price tag, if this ball was below $29.99- I think I would no 1 soft feeling urathane ball in the market.

• deepreddeepred Members Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting your experience was a lower flight I think others commented it flew higher.
    Cleveland Classic XL Driver
    KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
    Maltby MXU 23* 
    Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
    Wilson Pi5 6-PW
    Wilson JP 55* SW
    Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
    Ray Cook M2 Mallet
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle Members Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    so matte cover is not urethane.?
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 Members Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    larciel wrote:

so matte cover is not urethane.?

It is urethane just not polished smooth.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
    Tried white yesterday. It does not have same stickiness that duo u does. And it flies ok. Does feel actually harder for me. Not an upgrade at all considering Duo U still costs about $13/dozen on Ebay.

Gonna try orange today but I suspect it will be another volvik like ball.
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 Members Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    larciel wrote:

Tried white yesterday. It does not have same stickiness that duo u does. And it flies ok. Does feel actually harder for me. Not an upgrade at all considering Duo U still costs about $13/dozen on Ebay.

????

Orange is same ball as white in a matte finish. It should exactly the same other than maybe picking up some dirt if conditions are soft.

I am glad to hear it is a little firmer as that should mean more spin on short irons and around the green. I thought Duo U needed more short game spin.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
  • flushemflushem Members Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    larciel wrote:

I believe $13/dz deal is long gone.
    WWG1 WGA
  • BuzzkillBuzzkill Marshals Posts: 6,921 mod

Finished my round today and went into the pro shop afterwards to browse. I was looking to see if they had the TP5 Pix ball - just wanted to see what it looked like. Anyway, the shop asked if I'd played the Wilson Professional yet and I said I wasn't aware of it. They tossed me one so I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

WITSMB - Cobra, Taylormade & Titleist
    Handicap:  3

I actually liked matte colored version of this ball than white. get some birdies!

• Twin2LTwin2L Members Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited Apr 7, 2019 6:25pm #74

I played the white yesterday, 62* overcast on a semi-soft track. The ball performed well and consistent, if not spectacular. Someone else compared it to the Chrome Soft and I agree. Compression felt comparable to the chrome Soft, QStar Tour and Bridgestone BXS. Trajectory seemed slightly flatter than both. It puts well with consistent “click” and feel. The cover held up well and I couldn’t see much marking after the round. I like it enough to give it another try. At this point I think the QST is a better value and a close second for my game to the BXS.

For comparison sake, for the past 4 years I gamed the B330RX/BRX.

It matters not what others call you. Only what you answer to defines who you are.
  • Tanner25Tanner25 Members Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 27, 2019 12:39am #75

Some time has passed, do you still like the Duo Professional? Do you like the white or colored matte balls?

• TKSTKS Members Posts: 223 ✭✭✭

Very good ball, great in the wind, enough short game spin. I like the white and green balls

All Wishon, all the time:
    919THI 11* Black Driver, Red Shaft - S
    919F/D, Black Shaft
    775 18* hyb, Interflexx Shaft
    590 4iron, Black hybd Shaft
    5-SW Sterlings S300's
    PCF Micro 58*
    S2R #5 putter Double Bend Shaft
    Softer Urethane balls - too many to list
  • dbdorsdbdors Houston, Clear Lake areaClubWRX Posts: 1,911 ClubWRX

I play the green and still like it. I hit it far and get good spin.

Woods: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 8*, Fujikura Ventus 6, stiff: TM M5, 13*, Diamana Thump 75, stiff
    Hybrids: TEE CBX 3H (20d), 4H (22d), Project X Hzrdus Black Hybrid 85 6.0
    Irons: TM M6, 5-GW, Accra 80i, stiff
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 54* (bent to 55*), 60*, Accra 80i, stiff
    Putter: Evnroll ER1.2 355g, 33", KBS CT Tour Putter Matte Black, Sense S1 grip
    Ball: Wilson Duo Professional in green & yellow
    Bag/Cart: '18 Ping Hoofer/BagBoy Quad XL
    Accessories: Garmin G8/Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Allez Allez Allez Minnesota, USAMembers Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Took advantage of a flash sale to score two dozen Duo Pros. After spending some time playing Maxfli HT's a few years ago, I got addicted to the feel. The Duo U and Duo Pro are about as close as modern stuff can come to wound ball feel, while still having a urethane cover.

That I occasionally play persimmon rounds doesn't hurt. ;)

The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS 9.5* set to 10.5*, Xcaliber T6+, TS, 44.25", D6
    3w:  Bridgestone J's Professional Weapon 14*, stock stiff, 42.5", D5
    1i:  Golden Ram Vibration Matched, DGS400
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    GW:  Mizuno Pro 52*, DGS300
    SW:  Scratch 8620 58*, DGS400
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

I've proven once again that anything over 44.5" or even 44.25" is a horrible fit for my tee game

Flash sale, where?

It was Dick's Sporting Goods, a 24 hour sale, 20% off, a couple days ago

The Ever Changing Bag!

Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV, Snell MTB Black... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

I've proven once again that anything over 44.5" or even 44.25" is a horrible fit for my tee game

ok, cool, keep forgetting DSG carries products online that they do not carry in the store.

Is there any big difference between a Project A and a Duo Pro, other than the DP being slightly softer?

@NRJyzr said:
    Took advantage of a flash sale to score two dozen Duo Pros. After spending some time playing Maxfli HT's a few years ago, I got addicted to the feel. The Duo U and Duo Pro are about as close as modern stuff can come to wound ball feel, while still having a urethane cover.

That I occasionally play persimmon rounds doesn't hurt. ;)

So I've got several rounds under my belt with the Duo Pro, and some comparison with the MTB Black...

Really like this ball in wind, especially side wind. Holds its line quite well. Spin is good, a touch less than the MTB Black, but acceptable. Trajectory is lower than others with driver, such as the Snell; seems to fly on a flatter piercing path. Bit lower with irons, but less difference than with driver. Could just be a function of spin rate off tee.

Distance was where I was unsure for a while. Irons were fine, but seemed to be a bit shorter with driver. Realized it was spin and/or trajectory, bumped the loft with my driver and saw distance improve to a similar level as other balls.

And the feel is awesome. I spent several years playing Maxfli Revolutions / A10s / M3s, or Srixon Hibrid Tours, and even Wilson I-Wounds, and missed that feel. The Duo U and Pro give me something I feel is on par with those, in terms of feel.

Good stuff.

The Ever Changing Bag!

Will be playing the pro today, will report back.

Played the Pro. Very soft for a 60 compression. Which I like. On some shots the greenside spin was there, other times it released. Overall, pretty good. maybe a nice cooler weather ball. As I a higher capper, my score just does not change with any ball. but, I do prefer a softer feeling ball. But, not too soft. Duo P fits this category.

• BogeyParBogeyBogeyParBogey Trying to get better... northern ILMembers Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

I've been playing the Duo Pro the last 3 times out and really like it. I can't tell much of any difference really between the various urethane balls other than how firm they feel at contact and like the bright colors/soft feel of the Duo Pro.
    Dave

• xkilgorextroutxxkilgorextroutx Members Posts: 292 ✭✭✭✭

I got a few sleeves and tried it out. It's only OK. I wanted to like it more, but the ball just didn't have any feeling to me. Yes my handicap is in the teens, I'm not a huge spinner or worker of the ball, however I can tell from approach shots & around the green that the Project A & the QST are both better feeling and performing balls for me. I'll still stick with the regular Duo for my fall/early spring rounds, though.

• BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Tanner25 said:
    Is there any big difference between a Project A and a Duo Pro, other than the DP being slightly softer?

Yes. The project a spins much more and is a bit more firm. I wanted to like the duo pro but it seemed shorter and spun less than both the project a and Chrome Soft. I also should’ve learned my lesson with matte finish balls as they get dirty way more easily and the mud just clings to them.

• deepreddeepred Members Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭

@spartanglfr said:
    White is only color in traditional finish. Yellow, green and orange are matte. I don't care for matte at all--and wish Wilson offered at least one of the bright colors in the regular finish.

I made that point to Wilson yesterday on FB, they asked was is your favorite color?
    Bright yellow!

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
    KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
    Maltby MXU 23* 
    Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
    Wilson Pi5 6-PW
    Wilson JP 55* SW
    Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
    Ray Cook M2 Mallet

@BiggErn said:

@Tanner25 said:

Yes. The project a spins much more and is a bit more firm. I wanted to like the duo pro but it seemed shorter and spun less than both the project a and Chrome Soft. I also should’ve learned my lesson with matte finish balls as they get dirty way more easily and the mud just clings to them.

Agreed. I am not sure why everyone is on the matte bandwagon. Although, they look cool. They get dirty and do not have the same feel as a shiny traditional ball. For that reason, I am trying out the Duo P in white. Overall, it is solid. But, the greenside spin seems to vary.

@deepred said:

@spartanglfr said:
    White is only color in traditional finish. Yellow, green and orange are matte. I don't care for matte at all--and wish Wilson offered at least one of the bright colors in the regular finish.

I made that point to Wilson yesterday on FB, they asked was is your favorite color?
    Bright yellow!

A DP in yellow would be worth considering.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file