Gain a small edge by doing this?

 CTgolf ·  
CTgolfCTgolf  572WRX Points: 195Banned Posts: 572 Golden Tee
Joined:  in Juniors/College Golf Talk #1
Posted:
1

Comments

  • davep043davep043  4692WRX Points: 1,931Handicap: 6.3Members Posts: 4,692 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #2
    CTgolf wrote:


    Simply put, yes. Enough people have studied it, and they all conclude that on balance a collision with a flagstick will leave the ball closer than if the flagstick wasn't there. Yes, sometimes a ball may be kept out by the stick, but that will be outweighed by the times that you're left with a 2-footer instead of a 5-footer.
    Posted:

    Home is Reston, Virgina, with regular visits to Southern Pines, NC

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • CTgolfCTgolf  572WRX Points: 195Banned Posts: 572 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #3
    davep043 wrote:

    CTgolf wrote:


    Simply put, yes. Enough people have studied it, and they all conclude that on balance a collision with a flagstick will leave the ball closer than if the flagstick wasn't there. Yes, sometimes a ball may be kept out by the stick, but that will be outweighed by the times that you're left with a 2-footer instead of a 5-footer.




    Presumably this would be more relevant for longer putts than for shorter ones? I wonder what the ideal cutoff distance to hole should be to leave in?
    Posted:
  • DJGainerDJGainer  124WRX Points: 23Handicap: 15.9Members Posts: 124 Fairways
    Joined:  #4
    CTgolf wrote:

    davep043 wrote:

    CTgolf wrote:


    Simply put, yes. Enough people have studied it, and they all conclude that on balance a collision with a flagstick will leave the ball closer than if the flagstick wasn't there. Yes, sometimes a ball may be kept out by the stick, but that will be outweighed by the times that you're left with a 2-footer instead of a 5-footer.




    Presumably this would be more relevant for longer putts than for shorter ones? I wonder what the ideal cutoff distance to hole should be to leave in?




    I think it will let everyone be more aggressive on short putts as well.
    Posted:
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter  3589WRX Points: 927Members Posts: 3,589 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #5
    DJGainer wrote:

    CTgolf wrote:

    davep043 wrote:

    CTgolf wrote:


    Simply put, yes. Enough people have studied it, and they all conclude that on balance a collision with a flagstick will leave the ball closer than if the flagstick wasn't there. Yes, sometimes a ball may be kept out by the stick, but that will be outweighed by the times that you're left with a 2-footer instead of a 5-footer.




    Presumably this would be more relevant for longer putts than for shorter ones? I wonder what the ideal cutoff distance to hole should be to leave in?




    I think it will let everyone be more aggressive on short putts as well.




    I am thinking the same way. I think you are able to be more aggressive. I also think that it will help with aiming.
    Posted:
  • tiger1873tiger1873  1475WRX Points: 318Members Posts: 1,475 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #6
    I am not sure it will be that much of a difference. sometimes we just leave the pin in during practice since it saves time and were in a hurry. I've seen plenty of putts bounce and stay out that would have went in the hole.



    I also see that with chips as well always take out the flag if you want it to go in. The only way I see this helps is if you are hitting it too hard and it bounces instead of blowing way past the hole.
    Posted:
  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026  1621WRX Points: 914Handicap: A BillionMembers Posts: 1,621 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #7
    Posted:

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter  3589WRX Points: 927Members Posts: 3,589 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Apr 1, 2019 #8
    Posted:
  • wlmwlm  111WRX Points: 101Members Posts: 111 Fairways
    Joined:  #9

    The real question is whether Sergio’s 4” backhand would have gone in, with the flagstick in 🥴

    Posted:
  • leezer99leezer99 Boy - 2026  1621WRX Points: 914Handicap: A BillionMembers Posts: 1,621 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #10

    We've got conflicting info boys... Flagstick Out!

    Posted:

    There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

  • darter79darter79  803WRX Points: 216Members Posts: 803 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #11

    I can say this season my daughter had it in unless it was a tap in ( I can't trust it there) . A few times she hit the stick and it bounced out or left. Would it have gone in with out. On these points I think it would but I also think the visual element of it helps with alignment and overall putting.

    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.