Scotty Button Back / Detour Redo w/Tellurium copper insert

GolfdoctorGolfdoctor Members Posts: 1,391 ✭✭
Has anyone rolled the two and could compared the feel to each other.

Comments

• PutterProPutterPro ClubWRX Posts: 78 ClubWRX
    The detour redo is actually a milled copper insert, not a true Teryllium insert.

The Detour is cool because it’s modified and from the top has some very clean lines. In regards to feel/touch/feedback you gotta go button back all the way. Prob not the answer you were hoping for! Good luck!
  • cardozacardoza Members Posts: 1,188 ✭✭
    PutterPro wrote:

The detour redo is actually a milled copper insert, not a true Teryllium insert.

The Detour is cool because it's modified and from the top has some very clean lines. In regards to feel/touch/feedback you gotta go button back all the way. Prob not the answer you were hoping for! Good luck!

I've refinished multiple Detours to DIY Buttonbacks and, while I've never hit a true Buttonback, I can say the feedback on these putters was great. I used the same silicone surround that Scotty uses, and "Teryllium" is just a marketing gimmick that Scotty came up with when building the putters, supposedly. Copper inserts in a Detour feel awesome, and I'd highly recommend taking that route for $200-$300 instead of spending almost $1,000 on a Buttonback.

39690997861_5f8205bf88_b.jpg
    Titleist TS3 8.5* - Matrix MFS Black Tie 70X
    Callaway Rogue Subzero 13.5* - HZRDUS Yellow 83X
    Callaway Rogue Subzero 18* - Accra 380 M5
    Miura 501CB 3-PW - KBS Tour 130X
    Callaway MD4 52* W Grind and 58* X Grind - DG X100
    Byron Morgan 612 35"
  • GolfdoctorGolfdoctor Members Posts: 1,391 ✭✭
    cardoza wrote:

PutterPro wrote:

The Detour is cool because it's modified and from the top has some very clean lines. In regards to feel/touch/feedback you gotta go button back all the way. Prob not the answer you were hoping for! Good luck!

I've refinished multiple Detours to DIY Buttonbacks and, while I've never hit a true Buttonback, I can say the feedback on these putters was great. I used the same silicone surround that Scotty uses, and "Teryllium" is just a marketing gimmick that Scotty came up with when building the putters, supposedly. Copper inserts in a Detour feel awesome, and I'd highly recommend taking that route for $200-$300 instead of spending almost $1,000 on a Buttonback.

What type and brand of silicone surround does Scotty and yourself use? Thanks
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members Posts: 4,443 ✭✭
    Golfdoctor wrote:

cardoza wrote:

PutterPro wrote:

What type and brand of silicone surround does Scotty and yourself use? Thanks

I can’t remember the exact product, but a few years back I looked up the patent for the TeI3 and the “elastomer” was just some type of kitchen & bath caulk. I found the exact product at Home Depot.
  • cardozacardoza Members Posts: 1,188 ✭✭
    I guess Scotty might use 3M brand, but I used GE 100% Silicone Filler. Think I just couldn't find the 3M.

Z1G6oufo5oz.JPG
    Titleist TS3 8.5* - Matrix MFS Black Tie 70X
    Callaway Rogue Subzero 13.5* - HZRDUS Yellow 83X
    Callaway Rogue Subzero 18* - Accra 380 M5
    Miura 501CB 3-PW - KBS Tour 130X
    Callaway MD4 52* W Grind and 58* X Grind - DG X100
    Byron Morgan 612 35"
  • PeanutsDaddyPeanutsDaddy Members Posts: 8,658 ✭✭
    cardoza wrote:

I guess Scotty might use 3M brand, but I used GE 100% Silicone Filler. Think I just couldn't find the 3M.

Z1G6oufo5oz.JPG

I’m telling my wife that I’m using ‘Tour Issue caulk’ in the kitchen.

She’ll call me a moron.

We’ll hit reset.

Handsome putter right there. Someday I will make one my own.
    Cobra King F7 9*<br />Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)<br />Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)<br />Wishon 775hs 21*, 24*, 27<br />NCW 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*<br />Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)<br />Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon
  • SkhackerSkhacker The Minimalist Golfer Members Posts: 1,476 ✭✭
    edited Nov 6, 2018 #8