Lookout!'s WITB - The bag of a beginner on a journey.

Comments

• justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members Posts: 2,601 ✭✭
    Nice Wilson putter and really not bad clubs. Enjoy them and know that when you have a good swing, you can play any and all clubs.
  • Lookout!Lookout! Members Posts: 13 ✭✭
    justasgood wrote:

Nice Wilson putter and really not bad clubs. Enjoy them and know that when you have a good swing, you can play any and all clubs.

Thanks, my instructor says that they are an inch too short for me (I'm roughly 5'11/6' but I have short arms for my size).
  • Zach HeusserZach Heusser Marshals Posts: 5,151 mod
    Good luck on your journey. And don’t worry those are fine to learn on. Back in the day I taught tons of people to play with those.
    Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur University <br /><br />My WITB<br /><br /><br /><br />http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/<br />@Zheusser on twitter
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,278 ✭✭
    Nothing at all wrong with what you are doing. The important thing is that you have life's priorities in first order. BTW your Grandfather had a great taste in putters
    One thing to note is that I (somewhat) foolishly put Golf Pride TourSnsr grips on them (which are worth more than the actual clubs). But I like the grips so I guess it's no big deal.
  • dmbrill719dmbrill719 Members Posts: 215 ✭✭
    Lookout! wrote:

One thing to note is that I (somewhat) foolishly put Golf Pride TourSnsr grips on them (which are worth more than the actual clubs). But I like the grips so I guess it's no big deal.

Funny you should say that....my first thought was they're perfectly fine clubs as long as they have good grips on them. Nothing more important than good grips...well worth what you spent to have them put on.
    G400 Max Xtorsion Black 70
    Exotics T3 16.5* HZRDUS 75
    Apex 3h Project X HC1
    T-MB 4, 5 RIP 115
    JPX 900 Tour 6-PW Recoil 125
    MD Forged 50, 56 DG X100
    RM-22 60 DG TI Black Onyx X100
    Vault Anser 2
    dmbrill719 wrote:

Lookout! wrote:

Funny you should say that....my first thought was they're perfectly fine clubs as long as they have good grips on them. Nothing more important than good grips...well worth what you spent to have them put on.

Funny you should say that, one of my bosses commented on my clubs by saying basically "throw them in the trash and go buy yourself some decent clubs. You can't get good with bad clubs".
  • bblack_91240bblack_91240 Members Posts: 83 ✭✭
    edited Nov 11, 2018 #9
    Once you get to a certain point with your lessons, don’t be afraid to shop for last year’s model of clubs. There is not a massive difference from year to year, but there will be a big difference from those clubs to a newer set when you get to a certain point. Believe me, my wife would kill me if I went and spent $700 on a new driver. I had been playing the same stuff for the last 10 years and decided it was time to treat myself. For less than $1000 I upgraded my entire bag, all 14 clubs. While that might sound crazy, it would’€™ve been almost $3000 if I bought this year’s latest and greatest models. I got a TaylorMade M1 driver, M3 3 and 5 woods (I splurged! Lol), brand new Nike irons, Nike wedges, TM spider putter. Honestly the fairway woods were probably half the cost of what I spent total, but I bought them barely used for around $200 a piece.

Everything I got was either new or barely used to the point that it could pass as new. My point is, don’€™t think you have to go to the local golf shop and buy the newest stuff for it to perform the best. If you do it right, last year’s models will be just as good and a fraction of the price. Look on the classified section here or check out eBay. Your boss has a point. Those clubs will only get you so far! But definitely keep the wife happy so she lets you keep playing the game. **** I’m trying to convince my wife to start playing too lol
    WITB
    TaylorMade M3 460 9.5° - Fujikura Speeder Motore TS 7.2X
    TaylorMade M3 3wd 15° - Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 7X
    TaylorMade M3 5wd 19° - Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 8X
    Nike Vapor Speed 3 Iron (19°) - Matrix Ozik Black Tie HM4 105X (Sans 5wd)
    Nike Vapor Pro 4-PW - KBS C-Taper 130X
    Nike Engage Wedges
    52° Square
    56° Square
    60° Dual Sole
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Putter 35"
  • shoot4parshoot4par Life's A Course 412ClubWRX Posts: 142 ClubWRX
    Just play, good players could take those sticks and shoot a round. That 8802 has some history.
    Jones did it with corn whiskey. Hogan with cigarettes & Tiger with will.
    If you were wondering the secrets in the dirt.

WITB
    Driver: Callaway XR Pro 9* (N/S) Oban Kiyoshi Black 65g 04 (Iomic White .60)
    Callaway Epic Subzero 9* (N/S) (TC) Kiyoshi White 65g 04 Kiyoshi White  (Iomic White .60)
    Fairway Wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro Limited 16.5* Kiyoshi White 75g 04 (Iomic White .60)
    Hybrid: CB Pro U 19* Kuro Kage 90s. (Iomic White .60)
    Irons: Miura 1957 Baby Blades 4-PW KBS TOUR 120s Black standard loft / standard lie (Iomic White .60)
    Wedges: Vokey Wedgeworks 52*, 56*, 60* Soon to have KBS Matte Black 120s (Iomic White .60)
    Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9

WITB
  • WalterWalter Belgian Golfer Members Posts: 700 ✭✭
    Great story ! Enjoy your granfarher's clubs !!
    Countdown for Augusta!!!
  • llamontllamont Members Posts: 1,823 ✭✭
    @Lookout!;

Enjoy your grandfather’s clubs!!! Also, congrats on purchasing your first home! That’s a major step in the right direction. There is absolutely nothing wrong with learning proper and consistent swing mechanics with that set. Once you can consistently reproduce a decent swing then you can go get fit for something more GolfWRX-ish... Hit’em well!!!
    I love golf
    Thanks everyone,

I need to get some wedges now (lightly used ones). Going to get the 9 iron measured for loft.