Who else is a big fan of Bryson dechambeau?

getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,432 ✭✭
It helps that he's a Bridgestone guy...but I'm generally a fan of someone who does things their way, unapologetically. I like that he's different. I like that he's analytical. I like that he's breaking from the norm in just about every way and is successful.

Comments

• tgreenwood11tgreenwood11 Bye bye yips in 2015 Posts: 482
    I like him and the fact that he's doing it his way. All indications are he is well on his was to being a force for a long, long time.
  • extrastiffextrastiff Members Posts: 856 ✭✭
    Anyone that hellbent on reducing variability has my vote.

and he reminds me of payne, and its not just the hat.
    g400 max 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    f8 15* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
    p790 4i | steelfiber 95x
    black utility onelength 22.5*, 26* | steelfiber 110x
    forged onelength 6i | steelfiber 110x
    p730 7i-pw | steelfiber 110x
    hi-toe 52*9, 56*8, 62*5 | steelfiber 110x
    columbus
    jumbomax tour medium grips
  • Golfer4LifeGolfer4Life Bob Parsons Bodyguard, Chump! ClubWRX Posts: 2,152
    I'm not.
    PXG Derangement Syndrome, it is real.......<br /><br />Equipment:<br /><br />A bag full of PXG’s<br />Non Titleist Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009<br /><br />“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”
  • FergusonFerguson Executive Member VAMembers Posts: 4,411 ✭✭
    edited Nov 5, 2018 #5
    You get outliers in any subset of society.

Among the golf outliers, he is the best.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 3,728 ✭✭
    I wouldn’t say I’m a big fan, but I enjoy watching him play. I cringe a bit when he says his “scientific” stuff. Hence why I like watching him PLAY.
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,432 ✭✭

I'm not.

Don't be a curmudgeon (wait, is this mike davis?)...he's a sharp kid. And he can play...regardless of how funky his swing looks.

A guy who wants to keep a protractor in his pocket to measure slope on a green book is definitely setting a new edge. I like it.
  • I'm conflicted.

On one hand I like that he does things in a very logical way, even if it's contrary to popular opinion. But when he goes to explain WHY he does things a certain way, it appears his only goal is to show off how much smarter he is than everyone else. Which is very off putting.

I wouldn’t say I’m a big fan, but I enjoy watching him play. I cringe a bit when he says his “scientific” stuff. Hence why I like watching him PLAY.

I like the scientific stuff. I'm going to make a prediction...

Bryson dechambeau will be instrumental in a key innovative idea in equipment in the next 5-10 years. He's going to look at something from an angle no one has yet and cause a breakthrough, somewhere...

I'm conflicted.

On one hand I like that he does things in a very logical way, even if it's contrary to popular opinion. But when he goes to explain WHY he does things a certain way, it appears his only goal is to show off how much smarter he is than everyone else. Which is very off putting.

He'll grow out of that. I remember being a cocky little [email protected] at 22 as well...
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,083 ✭✭

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/bryson-dechambeau-and-the-extraocular-he-wins-again-doing-it-his-way

He doesn’t just read greens, for instance. That would be insufficiently intellectual.

“Well, I’ve tried about almost a dozen things to make the [putting] line look right over the past year,” he said during the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open here this week. “Because eyes are muscles, they change. Just like you feel good with your arms one day and feel bad with your arms the next day. Or your legs, or whatever it is.

“It’s just kind of the way it is. Your eyes are muscles, and they change and adapt every single day in different lighting, so you just got to find out what works for you that week.”

giphy.gif
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,056 ✭✭
    I don't think it's being cocky. He's different. Very. We do Golfing Machine stuff with him. In our interactions with him, you can tell he's pretty much smarter than you. He's brilliant yet personable. He can go into straight physics mode, or bring it back down to human level. He's a good kid still trying to find his way. I like him, and not what I initially thought.
    **Bag Construction in Progress**
    Mizuno ST190 G 9.5 (Lofted to 10)
    Mizuno ST190 3TS
    Mizuno CLK 2 Hybrid
    Mizuno Fli-Hi 4 Iron Replacement
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal (5-PW)
    Mizuno S18 Wedges - Blue Ion (50-7, 54-12, 58-16, 62-8)
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
  • tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,056 ✭✭
    bscinstnct wrote:

https://www.golfdige...oing-it-his-way

He doesn’t just read greens, for instance. That would be insufficiently intellectual.

“Well, I’ve tried about almost a dozen things to make the [putting] line look right over the past year,” he said during the Shriners Hospitals for Children Open here this week. “Because eyes are muscles, they change. Just like you feel good with your arms one day and feel bad with your arms the next day. Or your legs, or whatever it is.

“It’s just kind of the way it is. Your eyes are muscles, and they change and adapt every single day in different lighting, so you just got to find out what works for you that week.”

giphy.gif

This pretty much describes him. image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />
    **Bag Construction in Progress**
    Mizuno ST190 G 9.5 (Lofted to 10)
    Mizuno ST190 3TS
    Mizuno CLK 2 Hybrid
    Mizuno Fli-Hi 4 Iron Replacement
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal (5-PW)
    Mizuno S18 Wedges - Blue Ion (50-7, 54-12, 58-16, 62-8)
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
    PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,056 ✭✭
    Just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.
  • specialtonyspecialtony Tony Members Posts: 176 ✭✭
    I like the fact that he isn’t afraid to try to different things. I like that fact that he thinks outside of the box. But to me he tries to hard to be different and prove he is smarter. If he just went out and did his thing and didn’t try to talk different and dress different I think he would have a bigger following.

Overall I am happy for him and I am curious what his impact on the game will be moving forward. I think his unconventional ways could be good for the game moving forward.
    Most Current:
    M1 Dr
    F7 5w
    816H1 hyb.
    King forged Pro cb/mb
    52, 56, 60 sm6
    DD201 WB longneck
  • Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,646 ✭✭
    His unconventional approach is one of the neatest things out there in a field full if robot sheep.

His holier than thou attitude is among the worst in a field full of entitled snot noses.

Unfortunately that's a draw in my book.
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,068 ✭✭
    Like or loathe him the lad has fantastic ability. As many wins in his last eleven events as Cobra's "poster boy" Fowler has in nine years.
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 3,728 ✭✭
    elwhippy wrote:

Like or loathe him the lad has fantastic ability. As many wins in his last eleven events as Cobra's "poster boy" Fowler has in nine years.

Exactly.
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker Members Posts: 5,161 ✭✭
    elwhippy wrote:

Don't you dare speak about Rickie that way.
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • NevinWNevinW Las VegasClubWRX Posts: 1,111 ClubWRX
    I think that some of the "mad scientist" personna is shtick. It is deliberately a bit exaggerated to make him appear different and to standout among all of the other cookie-cutter pros. It reminds me of the Lee Trevino Merry Mex routine. I saw Lee play a bunch of times and he was quite frankly, hilarious. I doubt his playing partners thought so but his fans loved him. The reality was quite different, in private he wasn't so merry. It made Lee Trevino a lot of money.

I like the fact that he isn’t afraid to try to different things. I like that fact that he thinks outside of the box. But to me he tries to hard to be different and prove he is smarter. If he just went out and did his thing and didn’t try to talk different and dress different I think he would have a bigger following.

Overall I am happy for him and I am curious what his impact on the game will be moving forward. I think his unconventional ways could be good for the game moving forward.

So of he was like everyone else then he'd be liked more?
    ebrasmus21 wrote:

elwhippy wrote:

Don't you dare speak about Rickie that way.

Rickie Flower...those are the facts. Looks good but withers...
  • byrne092byrne092 Posts: 98 ✭✭
    I think he's a good player, seems like a nice enough guy too (might not have the composure that some people like to dictate every pro golfer should have). What i can't stand is the announcers and the way he is portrayed... OH MAN, he has a physics degree, he's a mad scientist, blah blah...give it a rest. Although the bit I watched this weekend, I didn't hear as much as in the past.
  • IVMIVM Posts: 454 ClubWRX
    I think he has issues .
    IVM wrote:

I think he has issues .

His issues like

blow_depp_610_532b3915ddf2b30267c2e5d8.jpg
  • FergusonFerguson Executive Member VAMembers Posts: 4,411 ✭✭
    IVM wrote:

I think he has issues .

He could one day face internal strife.
  • rawdograwdog Cleveland, OHPosts: 3,015 ✭✭
    Me.

Since watching him play in the 2016 Masters, I have seen how valuable the little things and attention to detail can be in golf.

Have never felt more comfortable to "play my game."

Go BAD!
    Cobra LTD Driver
    Aldila Rogue Black, 9.5* @44.5"
    In1Zone Single Length Fairway Woods

Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue @41.5" 5W = 19*
    Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue @41.5" 7W = 23*
    Cobra F7 One Length Irons
    Nippon Modus 105 Stiff @ 36.5"
    6I = 24* 7I = 29* 8I = 34* 9I = 39* PW = 44* GW = 49* SW = 54* LW = 59*
    Odyssey #9 HT Metal X Milled @33.5"
    Maxfli SoftFli
  • theothertwotheothertwo Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭
    He's a very good player, reminds me of a young David Duval. Just waiting for that breakthrough win and when he did, went all the way to no. 1.
    Honma TW 727 455s 10.5* Driver
    Honma TW 727 18* 5 Wood
    Honma TW 727 22* Hybrid
    Miura CB 57 4-PW Irons
    Miura 2018 Tour Wedges 52* and 58*
    Taylor Made TP Black Copper Ardmore 3 Putter
  • The GeneralThe General Members Posts: 1,712 ClubWRX
    edited Nov 6, 2018 #29

I wouldn't say I'm a big fan, but I enjoy watching him play. I cringe a bit when he says his "scientific" stuff. Hence why I like watching him PLAY.

Why do you cringe? He's not wrong - he was on his way to a Physics degree at SMU and apparently his scientific approach to the game is working, proven by his Top 5 in the world ranking.

Not you toast, but people in general should take a more analytical approach to the game, not equations and schidt, but just think more about the physics of what the ball does or doesn't do - and how that's accomplished. Golfers skill level would improve if they would get away from the "me hit ball, oh well I sliced it, me chase ball" mentality and think more about "why did it just slice 80 yards to the right? Let me try the opposite of that and hook it 80 yards....then find the middle ground among the two"
    Post edited by Unknown User on

I wouldn't say I'm a big fan, but I enjoy watching him play. I cringe a bit when he says his "scientific" stuff. Hence why I like watching him PLAY.

Why do you cringe? He's not wrong, he has a mechanical engineering degree and apparently his scientific approach to the game is working, proven by his Top 5 in the world ranking.

Not you toast, but people in general should take a more analytical approach to the game, not equations and schidt, but just think more about the physics of what the ball does or doesn't do - and how that's accomplished. Golfers skill level would improve if they would get away from the "me hit ball, oh well I sliced it, me chase ball" mentality and think more about "why did it just slice 80 yards to the right? Let me try the opposite of that and hook it 80 yards....then find the middle ground among the two"

(disclaimer - have a ME degree as well, so Shambo speaks my language. And Cobra and Puma make the best gear.)

A bit off topic... I have never played cobra but I bought a f8+ 4/5 last week because it has a weight forward design which should help keep ballflight down compared to other 5woods. Went out Saturday morning for some range time and got warmed up. That 5wood was just screaming at me "hit me, hit me". So I did...

There have been few times that I hit a new club and immediately knew it was worth the money. That 5wood is awesome. The shaft is a bit loose for my liking so I'm going to replace it, but the head was just awesome. Turf interaction, with the rails, was perfect. Ball flight was solid. Hoping the new shaft brings it down just a tad.
    edited Nov 5, 2018 #31

Why do you cringe? He's not wrong, he has a mechanical engineer degree and apparently his scientific approach to the game is working, thus the Top 5 in the world ranking.

Not you toast, but people in general should take a more analytical approach to the game, no equations and schidt, but just think more about the physics of what the ball does or doesn't do - and how that's accomplished. Golfers skill level would improve if they would get away from the "me hit ball, me chase ball" mentality and think more about "why did it just slice 80 yards to the right? Let me try the opposite and hook it 80 yards then find the middle ground among the two"

(disclaimer - have a ME degree as well, so Shambo speaks my language. And Cobra and Puma make the best gear.)

I question, overall, how much all of his scientific applications have helped him really.

Guy is just crazy talented and a hard worker. He'd be great at golf if he never finished high school.

But, I do think that all of his analysis are key "mental rituals" that guide him.

Kind of like how lots of athletes are very superstitious.

Michael Jordan wore the same pair of NC shorts under his NBA team shorts on games day. BD reads Pythagoras before tournaments ; )