Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

2018 Blue Bay LPGA Nov 07-10

2»

Comments

• Seamus_McDuffSeamus_McDuff  939Posted: Members Posts: 939
    Interesting situation with Cydney Clanton, I guess she can still get in the top 100 and stay on tour.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Argonne69Argonne69  22729Posted: Members Posts: 22,729
    I'm watching the third round coverage, and the final group gets to the 18th tee, Knowing that Ariya is a low ball hitter, I look at the tees positioned at the front of the teebox, and say to myself, "She's going to clip the bushes." Whammo. I know they wanted to shorten the hole today to allow the players to reach the green in two, but c'mon, you gotta give them a little leeway in clearing the scrubs.
    Posted:
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle  2407Posted: Members Posts: 2,407
    I guess no one watching Golf Channel except me. It said Trophy Presentation is next and after commercial it went to European Tour.

and why was today the final round?
    Posted:
  • ALIFALIF Arizona 2632Posted: Members Posts: 2,632
    It was actually a pretty exciting finish.
    Posted:
    $$$$
  • fredogolferfredogolfer  286Posted: Members Posts: 286
    The only time I've teared up watching golf was when Lorena won at St. Andrews, when she retired and now seeing Gaby win. People don't realize how hard it is coming from Mexico to do it at this level.

It's not a rags to riches story or anything like that but it's hard to get sponsorships, support and respect.

I can't imagine what Gaby must be feeling. Her grandfather died a couple of weeks ago. She held off the No. 1 player in the world in tough conditions and now her whole career takes a big shift.

She was barely holding on to her full card at No. 79 on the money list and now she is going inside top 50 and qualifying for the Tournament of Champions, Thailand and Singapore. For a middle of the road player, it opens up opportunities and forces you to really start thinking about how you plan your schedule, what playing opportunities to take, how much rest your body needs etc. In some ways, winning takes off the pressure of having to fight for your card for a couple of seasons but increases the pressure in other ways.

Fortunately, Lorena seems to be accesible to many of the young up and coming Mexican players so Gaby for sure has a great resource to ask for advice.

It's a little sad few people were there to see it.

¡Felicidades Gaby!
    Posted:
  • fredogolferfredogolfer  286Posted: Members Posts: 286
    larciel wrote:

I guess no one watching Golf Channel except me. It said Trophy Presentation is next and after commercial it went to European Tour.

The tournament started on Wednesday to give players an extra day to travel to the season ending championships.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • rushfan96rushfan96  604Posted: Members Posts: 604
    Our second Mexican champion! Viva Gaby!
    Posted:
  • ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer  1308Posted: Members Posts: 1,308
    Congrats to Gabby. I had my doubts, but she played solid. Front 9 did some damage to alot of scorecards.
    Posted:
  • Argonne69Argonne69  22729Posted: Members Posts: 22,729
    Yes, great win by Gaby. In tough conditions she did what needed to be done. Just when she seemed to falter she bounced right back. 'Nice to see the support for her on the 18th green.

I didn't realize the tour had added a 6th major. Well, it sure felt like it at times. Gaby's -8 was the highest winning scoring of the season, which includes the five majors. 'Love the course with its beautiful bunkering, tough greens, windy conditions, and tricky mounding. A player missing the green was never guaranteed of a decent lie. It's too bad it's an isolated resort course, and the small crowds that come with it.

Ariya has to be kicking herself for her play on the 8th. That should have been a par at worse. However, she did turn her round around and finish 3 under for the back. A solo 2nd finish isn't bad when the A game is back at the clubhouse.

Sung Hyun has been quite wobbly lately. She has moments when she looks unstoppable, and then she turns around and looks like a middle of the pack player. She continues to struggle in the wind it seems.

What a birthday for Celine. A 66 in those conditions is quite a feat.

I'm hoping Danielle brings her Asian swing play back to Naples. She's had a great run the past few weeks.

Overall I thought it was an excellent tournament, minus the crowds. The coverage is as good as it gets for a non-major. Four hours at consistent times, a chance to see players who aren't in the final two groups, and even the flyovers of the holes were well done.

'Going to miss Alison, Kate, and Peter.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Seamus_McDuffSeamus_McDuff  939Posted: Members Posts: 939

Interesting situation with Cydney Clanton, I guess she can still get in the top 100 and stay on tour.

Clanton ended the year $8 short of Brianna Do at 100 on the money list.
    Posted:
  • Imhappyinthe80sImhappyinthe80s  442Posted: Members Posts: 442
    Always rooted for Lopez, so happy to watch her win.
    Posted:
    Callaway BBV 10.5 Neutral w/ 44.5 inch Motore 565 speeder shaft stiff
    Callaway BBV 3 Wood, 15.5 stiff, 5 Wood 19 stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 19 Hybrid stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 4-PW
    Ping Glide 50 SS
    Cleveland CG16 , 56
    Wilson Staff Grant Park Putter

Advertisement
  • bravedavebravedave Professional Golf Fan  1009Posted: Members Posts: 1,009
    My boy Davey Jones with a big hug at 18. He started his LPGA career with NYC at St. Andrews in 2013 and eventually was fired. He then moved on to In Gee Chung and they were unstoppable but again the caddie was fired. He then landed with the super duper superstar Sung Hyun Park. David Jones showing some love to first time winner Gaby Lopez. Sweet sweet stuff.

Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer  1308Posted: Members Posts: 1,308
    Argonne69 wrote:

I'm hoping Danielle brings her Asian swing play back to Naples. She's had a great run the past few weeks.

'Going to miss Alison, Kate, and Peter.

Yes would be great to see Danielle finish top 5 at CME. I do believe Danielle and Ariya were the only two players to have 3 top 5 finishes on the 5 event Asian swing.

Gonna miss the announcers as well. They seem way more in tune than the US based group...oh who am I kidding I just can`t stand Grandma Judy..
    Posted:
  • aknowaknow  96Posted: Members Posts: 96

I agree with the comments about Shanshan. None of these are to body shame, but it's amazing how much being overweight affects our bodies from stress on our joints to the chemicals our brain produces, from how well we digest to our **** drive, how well we sleep to how our body reacts to a cold or the flu. Being overweight makes our body work a lot harder than it needs to. I think this interview with Shanshan is really telling

http://www.lpga.com/...h-shanshan-feng

Bacon and steaks with an exclamation point. Someone needs to take her to a feed lot and meat processing plant and teach her how to consume a Vegan diet. She looks bad.
    Posted:
  • Raving ShankerRaving Shanker  361Posted: Members Posts: 361
    Another first time winner!! Prior to the last round i would have put my house on Ariya winning a head to head with Lopez. Well, I now wouldn't own a house!

So what's going on with this endless stream of different winners, including a lot of first time winners. Gaby was hot from the first 9 on the first day.

As Argonne said, it was like watching a major - very gritty, dour golf. It was a bit frustrating at times, with almost nobody able to read speed and breaks on the green. Some of the fringe chipping was incredibly ineffective.

I can't agree with others about the commentary. I find Pete Donnegan a bit of a strain, with his strident voice and constant resort to cliches. Is it Allison or Kate, who seems to say every sentence like it is the most exciting pronouncement in the world? It's like every statement has an exclamation mark! Bring back Granma Judy!
    Posted:
  • ShilgyShilgy Phoenix 11901Posted: Members Posts: 11,901
    larciel wrote:

Because it was the 4th round. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!

Advertisement
  • StoochStooch  1110Posted: Members Posts: 1,110
    Congrats to Gaby Lopez very nice win for her, hope she enjoys it
    Posted:
  • AWinfortheAgesAWinfortheAges  270Posted: Members Posts: 270
    I'm picking Minjee next week, but who will be celebrating a birthday?

The year of the first time champion and the year of the birthday bounce or bump.
    Posted:
  • BadgerLinBadgerLin BadgerLin  71Posted: Members Posts: 71

I can't agree with others about the commentary. I find Pete Donnegan a bit of a strain, with his strident voice and constant resort to cliches. Is it Allison or Kate, who seems to say every sentence like it is the most exciting pronouncement in the world? It's like every statement has an exclamation mark! Bring back Granma Judy!

I agree Peter Donnegan is hard to listen to - much prefer the sly humor of Tom Abbot, and I missed Foltzy! (I noticed that in addition to ‘Jess’ Korda, it was also ‘Jenn’ Song from Allison and Kate).
    Posted:
  • ClairefromClareClairefromClare  414Posted: Members Posts: 414
    Allison and Kate seem genuinely to enjoy each other. I liked that aspect of the coverage.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file