MP 18 SC - More forgiving than the blade?

swing thoughtsswing thoughts Members Posts: 254 ✭✭
[background=transparent]I'm getting some new (used, new for me) irons soon and really like the MP 18 SC. I currently play either mp 69's or Nike Vapor pros but want a little more forgiveness. Ive talked to some folks who are saying that their SC's aren't very forgiving, like only slightly more than the mp18 blades or other mizuno blade/musclebacks. Is this the experience you've had playing them? I think they just may be saying that to make their game look better, they're kind of that kind of guys. Thanks [/background]
Ping G SL Tec 9* XS
Callaway XR 15* R

Cobra Bio Cell Fairway 18.5 S
Titleist 816 H1 21* S
Nike Vapor Pro 4-9 S <or> Mizuno MP 69 4-9

Vokey SM6[background=transparent] 48* 10 S[/background]
[background=transparent]Taylormade Tour Preferred EF 52* 10 S[/background]
Taylormade Tour Preferred EF 58* ATV S

Odyssey Versa #7 35"
Taylormade Daddy Long Legs 38"
[background=transparent]Scotty Futura X5 38"[/background]
[background=transparent]Callaway Bobby Jones blade 35"[/background]

Comments

• Gmack1973Gmack1973 Members Posts: 65 ✭✭
    I got fitted for Mizunos in the summer, and i didnt see a huge difference between the sc18 and the mp18. I ended up getting the mmc fli hi in the 4 and 5 iron(bent 1 degree weak) as the 4 and 5 in both sc and mp werent that forgiving.

I have 6 to pw in mp18s. I hit them great.

I dont know if that means the sc18s arent forgiving, or the the mp18s are more forgiving than other blades, if that makes sense?? I certainly didnt notice a huge difference, and in fact in 2 fittings i hit the MP18s better, hence wjy i went with them.

I came from CF16s.
  • MKPAPAMKPAPA Long Beach, CaliforniaClubWRX Posts: 397 ClubWRX
    Can't say for certain as I don't own a set of either, but I feel like its a common understanding that a cavity back is more forgiving than a muscle back.

With that said, Maltby says otherwise: https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/MPF_MIZUNO.pdf

If MPF is not relative to forgiveness, someone please chime in. I could be wrong
  • bcsquarebcsquare Members Posts: 258 ✭✭
    I've got a set of MP-18 in 5-PW. During the fitting, I didn't see any difference in numbers or perceived forgiveness between the MB and SC. Misses went the same distance and direction. The only thing that was different to me was that the SC was slightly thicker on the top line and didn't feel as soft when struck out the center.
    Cobra F9 9*, Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 6S
    Cobra F9 14.5*, Fujikura Atmos Blue 7S
    Cobra F9 18.5*, Fujikura Atmos Blue 7S
    Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist SM7 50.12F, 56.08M, 60.12D, Nippon Modus Wedge 115
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
  • SchulzmcSchulzmc Members Posts: 52 ✭✭
    I played about 15 rounds with the MP-18 SC and found my MP-5's to be more forgiving.
  • TCZTCZ Members Posts: 502 ✭✭
    edited Nov 5, 2018 #6
    I played the SCs for a while and just found them to be 'meh' in all categories.

I would say they were similar to my Apex Pros and 716 CBs in terms of forgiveness.
    Driver (9.75):  Titleist TS3 (Tour AD DI 6s)
    3 Wood (15):  PXG 0341X (Tour AD DI 7s)
    Hybrid (22):  PXG  0317X (Tour AD DI 85s)
    Irons:  PXG 0311T GEN 2 (KBS Tour-V 110S)
    Wedges (50F/54S/58M):  Titleist Vokey SM7 (Jet Black)
    Putter:  Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 20,039 ✭✭
    Schulzmc wrote:

I played about 15 rounds with the MP-18 SC and found my MP-5's to be more forgiving.

I played MP-5's for two seasons. I purchased an MP-18 SC 7 iron to try for a few rounds, thinking it might be slightly more forgiving. However, after a few rounds I found that the MP-5s were just as forgiving, if not more so.
  • WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the Corner Members Posts: 4,816 ✭✭
    I was convinced I was going to finally replace my MP33’s with the SC’s. After testing the SC’s, the 900T, the 18 MB, and testing them, and testing, and not being able to decide, I went with the JPX 919T. They were never on my radar to begin with but they ended up being the most forgiving of them all. I was pretty confused about it to be honest. I couldn’t understand why I hit them better than the SC, but I did. I also like the shape of them more. So before you buy them, hit them.
    Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
    Cobra F7 15.5*
    Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
    Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
    Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
    Taylormade TPx
  • mahoniemahonie Members Posts: 2,378 ✭✭
    I can’t speak from personal experience, but one of my mates put a combo set of SCs and MBs together and wished he’d gone full MB. He thinks the SCs are less forgiving and don’t feel as good as the MBs.
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
    MD Golf Superstrong 3-wood UST Proforce 65 Stiff
    Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
    Mizuno MP4 4-PW DG S300
    Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Radius Classic 8
  • swing thoughtsswing thoughts Members Posts: 254 ✭✭
    Gmack1973 wrote:

I got fitted for Mizunos in the summer, and i didnt see a huge difference between the sc18 and the mp18. I ended up getting the mmc fli hi in the 4 and 5 iron(bent 1 degree weak) as the 4 and 5 in both sc and mp werent that forgiving.

I have 6 to pw in mp18s. I hit them great.

I dont know if that means the sc18s arent forgiving, or the the mp18s are more forgiving than other blades, if that makes sense?? I certainly didnt notice a huge difference, and in fact in 2 fittings i hit the MP18s better, hence wjy i went with them.

I came from CF16s.

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the feedback.
    Ping G SL Tec 9* XS
    Callaway XR 15* R

Titleist 816 H1 21* S

Odyssey Versa #7 35"
  • EliasMalEliasMal Members Posts: 18 ✭✭
    I have 7-pw mp18 and 5, 6 sc. I feel that the sc are more forgiving and produce a higher flight, especially when caught a little lower on the face.

• Chuck905Chuck905 Members Posts: 1,107 ✭✭
    I own a set of the blades and 900T, would recommend either one or the other and dismiss the SC.

The SC take as much skill as the blade to put in play but the blades are way ahead in feel.

The 900T, which I played a round a couple days ago are easy to hit and out perform them all at the expense of a firmer clicky feel thru impact.

Somebody mentioned the 919T, I haven’t hit them yet but can imagine they improved the feel with their new HD grain process.
    Epic SZ 10*, Tensei White 75
    Epic SZ Strong 3 Wood, 13.5*
    U45 17*, Recoil 110
    3-PW Mizuno MP18 Blades
    Mizuno T7s 54-8 SW and 58-12 LW
    Odyssey RX9
  • Kenny Lee PuckettKenny Lee Puckett Members Posts: 3,460 ✭✭
    edited Nov 5, 2018 #13

[background=transparent]I'm getting some new (used, new for me) irons soon and really like the MP 18 SC. [/background]
    if you're going used shop around for a set of MP 62,63,64 irons first. IMO three of the best (which one is "best" could be WRX debated to death) in that iron category MIZUNO has ever made. And I'd play any of them over the MP18-SC.

(edit: to give my opinion context I staffed sets of the MP62 , MP63, and MP4, and currently have MP18 blades)

KLP
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]PING G LST: Ping Tour 80
    PING Anser 4wd: Accra S380 RT
    PXG 0317: Fujikura Rombax 8D07HB
    PING i500 4 iron: D.G. 120
    PING S55 5-PW: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Glide 2.0 50/54/58: D.G. Tour Issue
    PING Darby F Ti Pixel: SS 2.0 Mid
    PING: Sensor Glove, Ping 703 Cord grips
    PING: Hoofer Bag
    TaylorMade: TP5 & TP5x ball

WITB photos: [/font]
    http://www.golfwrx.c...uckett-witb-19/
  • BCULAWBCULAW Orlando, FLMembers Posts: 3,643 ✭✭

[background=transparent]I'm getting some new (used, new for me) irons soon and really like the MP 18 SC. [/background]
    if you're going used shop around for a set of MP 62,63,64 irons first. IMO three of the best (which one is "best" could be WRX debated to death) in that iron category MIZUNO has ever made. And I'd play any of them over the MP18-SC.

(edit: to give my opinion context I staffed sets of the MP62 , MP63, and MP4, and currently have MP18 blades)

KLP

Boy, those MP63s were really an afterthought in comparison to the 62s and 64s. I liked all 3 sets, but thought the 63s were fantastic performers. Longer for me than the other two with slightly denser feel, IMO. The other two were better looking, but the 63s played better.

As for the 18s, I think the differences within the MP line are more about trajectory than forgiveness. MBs will launch a little lower (i.e., be a little harder to elevate) than the SCs, but the actual difference in forgiveness is pretty negligible.

• RodCRodC Members Posts: 356 ✭✭
    edited Nov 5, 2018 #15
    Well, I haven’t played the MB but I come from TM M2 irons.

I’m 14 HC and I can tell the MP18SC ARE NOT difficult to play for me.

I love them. I have a set of p790 which has only two rounds ... because the MPsc’s are reallly great.

One thing I can tell is the correct shaft makes all the difference. I got them with Steelfiber i110 stiff and I really struggled. I replaced the shaft to SFi95 and wow. Different set.
    Ping G400 Alta CB, X Shaft
    TM M2 3 Wood
    TM SLDR 4 & 5 Hybrid
    5-PW Mizuno MP-18SC - Steelfiber i95 (since Nov 17) - on the bag
    5-PW TM P-790 Modus 3 105 Stiff (since March 18) - on the bench
    Cleveland RX2 50/08
    CBX 54º Wedge, CBX 58º Wedge.

carbon-putters-revolver.png Carbon Ringo Putter
  • nofxnate28nofxnate28 Members Posts: 40 ✭✭
    Im trying to decide between the mp18 SC and jpx919T. Are the tours really more forgiving!?
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,611 ✭✭
    When I had the SC and MB sets, the only difference I could find was how the wider sole of the SC offered a bit more margin for error on heavy strikes.
    Taylormade M6 driver with MCA Tensei CK Pro White 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood with MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid with MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW with Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 with Modus3 115 Wedge
    Taylormade Spider X 
    Taylormade TP5
  • dunndunn Members Posts: 6,361 ✭✭
    MP18 is a design that's been around for along time....I played both SC and MP18 and there isnt much between em....sure there is cuz of cavity but its prolly on slight misses....

Wasnt really a fan of either, but i do love mizuno irons....

Probably has more to do with ballflight than anything
  • kiwiikiwii Members Posts: 712 ✭✭
    I feel like the actual forgiveness is minimal it is more mental than anything. The slight cavity back provides the golfer slightly more confidence. The feel is slightly hotter off the face on the SC and the MB is more solid.
    '17 M1 460 9.5/ Rogue Silver
    XR '14 Pro/ PX LZ
    Adams 9031 18°/ Diamana WB
    716 AP24-pw/DG AMT S300
    '14 TM TP 52/56/60
    2014 Squareback/ Lamkin DE + 2 wraps
    Ogio Ozone, TM targa tour
    Tour Boost 360
    TM TP5/ Srixon Zstar XV
  • SuperbritSuperbrit Members Posts: 462 ✭✭
    I love mine, and the MMC's in the long irons are also really good, my only gripe is the pitching wedge, a bit big and doesn't seem to match the rest of the set, think im going to change it to a SM7
  • rxk9fanrxk9fan Members Posts: 738 ✭✭
    edited Nov 6, 2018 #21
    Maybe a little OT, but I have read and I agree there is not a lot of difference between the SC and MMC. This weekend the MMC made their 3rd trip to the course with me after a long year trying to get back into golf at a decent level. This year I played:MP18- MMC,i200,1210,P750,P770,X-Forged,CB, MP5, and could be forgetting a couple.

IMO, the MMC is the most forgiving (the way I judge forgiveness on the course) of the bunch. The big difference for me is that while I hit some greens with all, I was not getting close to the pin near often enough with most. The MP18 MMC is forgiving enough to help some less than good swings, but the good swings give me very, very predictable results. I FINALLY shot even last round for the first time all year and that is because the MMC excelled in tough wind conditions giving the exact flight and distance I expected with my swing.

In my head, I judge forgiveness by:

1. What does it do if I miss the center of the face.

2. Also, what does it do if I miss the center with a closed or open face when trying to hit draws and cuts.

3. What does it do when you have a **** lie (in the rough, setting down in a divot, etc.).

For me, clubs like the i210 excelled from the short fairway if you had a wide open shot to the green where trajectory did not matter. They were horribly unforgiving if I was in the rough and needed to keep the ball under tree limbs, ball in divots and the shot required anything low, etc.. The CB was beautiful on straight shots, but my amateur swing overcooked cuts and draws into the wind.

The MMC and P770 were for me the most forgiving clubs I have played on the course when different shots demand different trajectory, movement, etc.

Just one guys thoughts!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Mizuno 190ST with Tensei Blue Stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with stiff Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
    Cobra Baffler 6 with UST Elements Stiff
    Srixon U65 4i with SteelFiber R
    Mizuno Hot Metal Pro with Recoil F4
    Vokey 58, 54, 50
    Taylormade Spider X

I am thinking about playing golf next year instead of HOing clubs!  
    Definitions: HOing is changing any spot in your bag 3 or more times in a year
                       Optimizing is changing any/every spot in your bag up to twice a year :-)
  • Ryan5508Ryan5508 Members Posts: 447 ✭✭
    I have a mixed set of pw-6 mp18 blades. 4-5 SC. 3 FLI-HI.

I wish I would have went full blades. I hit them better and they look better. never noticed any extra forgivess with the SC's.
  • moadhiamoadhia Members Posts: 275 ✭✭
    nofxnate28 wrote:
    Im trying to decide between the mp18 SC and jpx919T. Are the tours really more forgiving!?

No noticeable difference between the two. 18sc has a slightly smaller blade length. I have the 919T and hit 18sc when I was deciding to buy. If you are after forgiveness, these are not the right club. They both provide great feedback and give you the ability to vary the trajectory of your shots.

If that's not what you want, look elsewhere. Maybe check 919F or 919HM
  • WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the Corner Members Posts: 4,816 ✭✭
    edited Nov 6, 2018 #24
    nofxnate28 wrote:

From the 900T to the 919T they made the sole wider and moved more weight to the toe, both of which made it more forgiving (compared to the 900).I prefer the head shape of the 919T to the SC when at address,, so I honestly didn’t give the SC the full treatment. I just fell in love the with T. I could easily play the SC though. They are slightly more forgiving than the blade. It’s like when people said the MP 30 was harder to hit than the 33. I played both and that just wasn’t true. The SC have a wider cambered sole which alone makes them more playable than the blades. The cavity back allows them to move weight around the head to make it more forgiving. You need to hit them and decide for yourself though.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
    Cobra F7 15.5*
    Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
    Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
    Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
    Taylormade TPx
  • CwebbCwebb Members Posts: 5,847 ClubWRX
    MKPAPA wrote:

Can't say for certain as I don't own a set of either, but I feel like its a common understanding that a cavity back is more forgiving than a muscle back.

With that said, Maltby says otherwise: https://www.golfwork.../MPF_MIZUNO.pdf

If MPF is not relative to forgiveness, someone please chime in. I could be wrong

The "SC" have a high sweet-spot (AVCOG) at .906". This is counter productive for most players, especially in a longer iron.

The MP-18 Fli Hi have an AVCOG of .738"
    Cwebb wrote:

MKPAPA wrote:

The "SC" have a high sweet-spot (AVCOG) at .906". This is counter productive for most players, especially in a longer iron.

Does that mean that balls struck lower on the face are punished?
    Ping G SL Tec 9* XS
    Callaway XR 15* R

Titleist 816 H1 21* S

Odyssey Versa #7 35"
    edited Nov 6, 2018 #27

Cwebb wrote:

MKPAPA wrote:

Does that mean that balls struck lower on the face are punished?

Yes. Solid contact in the 'vertical aspect' of impact, comes from getting the COG of the head design at or better yet below the center (COG) of the ball. The center of a ball is .840", so any head design with an Actual Vertical COG that is higher than that, tends to more difficult to hit for most players.

So in the example above, the Fli-Hi has more room to work with in the vertical aspect of contact.....making them easier to hit and "more playable" for most.

For reference, your Mp-69's were measured at .790" and the Vapor Pros at .885"
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,174 ✭✭
    edited Nov 6, 2018 #28
    Not exactly what you asked but I hit the SC's vs the 919 Forged and found the forged's to be much more forgiving in terms of flight and ball speed. The SC's felt and seemed to play much more like a true blade... just a touch bigger than the regular MP18.

Edit: And if I'm read this maltby table right... the "MPF" number would indicate that higher number = easier to hit. If that's the case... the SC's are be harder to hit than the 900 tours (135 vs 355). Heck... even the bladed MP-18 is 284! It's actually the lowest MPF on the whole list.. less than MP18 blades and also less than MP4 and 5 blades, which look to be fairly forgiving for blades.
    WITB
    DRIVER MIA
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge (Hi Toe 58 KBS Wedge in test)
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

[background=transparent]It's interesting that all the more "professional" reviews say the SC is much more forgiving than the blade, but everything I've heard here and on the course is the opposite. Makes you wonder about those reviewers...[/background]

I'm torn because I hit them and a couple other irons when getting fitted for iron shafts and hit them well and loved them, but that was indoors on a mat and a machine, so my experience on the course could be completely different. Sucks because I've had my heart on them for a while now but everyone says they are pretty difficult to hit! Oh, well, such is life.
    Ping G SL Tec 9* XS
    Callaway XR 15* R

Titleist 816 H1 21* S

Odyssey Versa #7 35"
    Z1ggy16 wrote:

Not exactly what you asked but I hit the SC's vs the 919 Forged and found the forged's to be much more forgiving in terms of flight and ball speed. The SC's felt and seemed to play much more like a true blade... just a touch bigger than the regular MP18.

Edit: And if I'm read this maltby table right... the "MPF" number would indicate that higher number = easier to hit. If that's the case... the SC's are be harder to hit than the 900 tours (135 vs 355). Heck... even the bladed MP-18 is 284! It's actually the lowest MPF on the whole list.. less than MP18 blades and also less than MP4 and 5 blades, which look to be fairly forgiving for blades.

Any design that has a sweet-spot (AVCOG) higher than .840" is penalized in the MPF. A higher sweet-spot is simply "harder to find" on a consistent basis from normal to tighter lies (not an 'up' lie), for most players
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,174 ✭✭
    Cwebb wrote:

Z1ggy16 wrote:

Any design that has a sweet-spot (AVCOG) higher than .840" is penalized in the MPF. A higher sweet-spot is simply "harder to find" on a consistent basis from normal to tighter lies (not an 'up' lie), for most players

Makes sense. Probably why I felt like I was hitting all the shots with the SC a little skinny. Only hit one that felt really good... rest were meh. I found myself wanting to hit the forged all night long though. Very easy to hit and only just a hint more offset and blade size than SC.
    WITB
    DRIVER MIA
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge (Hi Toe 58 KBS Wedge in test)
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag