Justin Rose to Honma

USMgolfer1USMgolfer1 Members Posts: 97 ✭✭
Interesting move getting to world number 1 and then changing equipment. Must be chasing that money.
2019 Taylormade M5 Tour 7° w/ Black Tie 7M4 X
TC X Hot 3deep 14.5 Project X 7.0
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged KBS C Taper X
Titleist Vokey SM7 50*,54*
Titleist Vokey SM7 58*
Taylormade Spider Tour T-Line

Comments

• jimb6golfjimb6golf Members Posts: 1,528 ✭✭
    Hope it doesn't end up similar to when Corey Pavin switched to PRGR irons years ago and his game all but disappeared. Will be interested to see what he ends up playing though.
  • SuperbritSuperbrit Members Posts: 464 ✭✭
    Has this been confirmed then??

Titleist TS3 8.5*
    Titleist 915F 16.5*
    Titleist 816 19*
    Titleist AP3/AP2/MB Irons 4- PW
    Titleist SM7 Black 52/58*
    Scotty Cameron California fastback

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,900 ✭✭
    edited Nov 7, 2018 #4
    jimb6golf wrote:

Hope it doesn't end up similar to when Corey Pavin switched to PRGR irons years ago and his game all but disappeared. Will be interested to see what he ends up playing though.

The same pavin who played the Cleveland VAS ? Can’t really blame the irons now can he ?

I thought this was reported a couple months ago in tour talk ? Honma is a step up in quality. Not down.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • Bdmac79Bdmac79 Members Posts: 907 ✭✭
    Irons only - still to play TM woods and ball.
    TS3/9.5/Tensei Pro Blue 60
    TS2/15/Tour AD-DI 7
    913H.d/18/Tour AD-DI 85
    MP-18 Fli Hi 3/Tour AD 95
    MP-18 4-PW/PX LZ
    SM7 Raw 52.8F/PX LZ
    SM7 Raw 58.8M/PX LZ
    SC Circle T NP2 Custom
    Pro V1
  • MakersMarsh3MakersMarsh3 Members Posts: 1,211 ✭✭
    Apparently he's not going to be world number one next week
    lead tape & Taylormade TP5X's
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,231 ✭✭
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution 10.5* - Proforce V2 HL - S
    TM M1 Tour issue 14* - Maltby ProSeries FW - S
    Maltby KE4 Tour 19*/22* - Kuro Kage Black 80hy - S
    Maltby MMB 17 - DGS300
    W/S PMP Raw 52/56/60 - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    W/S Bucktown
  • SuperbritSuperbrit Members Posts: 464 ✭✭
    Bdmac79 wrote:

Irons only - still to play TM woods and ball.

I'm presuming Honma wedges as well? cant see him changing his putter.

I heard it was a rumour but never thought it would actually happen for some reason

Titleist TS3 8.5*
    Titleist 915F 16.5*
    Titleist 816 19*
    Titleist AP3/AP2/MB Irons 4- PW
    Titleist SM7 Black 52/58*
    Scotty Cameron California fastback

• gyro25gyro25 Members Posts: 154 ✭✭
    Egg let him follow the money.. funny how golf ends up being like other sports where players jump teams for the bigger paycheck

On that note, F laveon Bell for his holdout still
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,141 ✭✭
    gyro25 wrote:

Egg let him follow the money.. funny how golf ends up being like other sports where players jump teams for the bigger paycheck

If TM let him go like Sergio or chose to not renew he’s open to go wherever for whatever price someone is willing to pay. Why is it wrong for golfers or athletes to go where the money is. Many people in their jobs move for more money...can’t fault a guy for chasing the money.
  • MarlockeyMarlockey ClubWRX Posts: 470 ✭✭
    Apparently TM dumped him, His Contract Came to an end and they did not wish to renew it, His Contract with Adidas is also up for renewal and word on the street is that as he is with the same management company as Tiger a Deal with Nike could be on the cards.

• gyro25gyro25 Members Posts: 154 ✭✭
    GoGoErky wrote:
    gyro25 wrote:

If TM let him go like Sergio or chose to not renew he’s open to go wherever for whatever price someone is willing to pay. Why is it wrong for golfers or athletes to go where the money is. Many people in their jobs move for more money...can’t fault a guy for chasing the money.
    I didn't say there was anything wrong with it.. the guy is good and deserves to get paid, and a brand like honma looking to surge more into the market signing the world #1 is a strong move on their part.
  • cvhookem63cvhookem63 Fujikura Ventus Experience ETXClubWRX Posts: 4,703 ClubWRX
    Marlockey wrote:

Apparently TM dumped him, His Contract Came to an end and they did not wish to renew it, His Contract with Adidas is also up for renewal and word on the street is that as he is with the same management company as Tiger a Deal with Nike could be on the cards.

That would be interesting. Rose has always preferred a more classic style of dress - they even made him the face of their AdiPure line. Nike likes to push boundaries, so that would be an odd fit.
    WITB Link
    TaylorMade M3 440 9* Fujikura Speeder 857 TR-X
    NIKE Vapor Fly 14* Fujikura Rombax P95X
    NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4 Fujikura Pro 95 Tour Spec X
    TaylorMade P770 5-9 X100
    NIKE OVEN Engage 46* X100 | Engage 50*SS / 55*SS / 60*DS S400
    SCOTTY CAMERON Select Squareback
  • ZBigStickZBigStick Practice Perfect Form Members Posts: 5,313 ✭✭
    edited Nov 7, 2018 #14
    I don’t see it as solely chasing the money, more of taking the best option.

TaylorMade is shedding contracts under new ownership. They are keeping their best assets and not getting into a bidding war for their older players or newbies. ie Sergio and now Rose possibly not being renewed, letting Xander leave.

For Rose he can be the lead endorser for Honma in the two markets they are trying to expand in the most. The US and Europe. If he does it slowly and keeps his woods and ball then I don’t see a drop off in his performance. He plays P730 Rose Protos that I’m sure Honma can replicate or produce an equal performing iron. He also reunited with Mark King who signed him to TM as a teen and stuck with him during his early struggles.

I see it as a win-win.
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]M4 9.5˚(10˚) GD TP-6[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]BB Alpha 816 16˚(15˚) Rogue I/O 70
    Apex 20˚ Kuro Kage Black 80
    [/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Z U45 23˚ Steelfiber i95
    Z 745 5-PW Steelfiber i110 cw
    [/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]RTX-4 50˚M, 56˚F (55˚), 60˚F S400 ti[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Spider Tour L-neck Silver
    Pro V1 2017
    [/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]TP-5[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Oakley Targetline Prizm Golf Dark[/font]
  • MKPAPAMKPAPA Long Beach, CaliforniaClubWRX Posts: 426 ClubWRX
    Great for Honma and their presence in the US
    i'm playing nike everything till i'm not
  • CStephenson17CStephenson17 ClubWRX Posts: 632 ClubWRX
    cvhookem63 wrote:

Marlockey wrote:

That would be interesting. Rose has always preferred a more classic style of dress - they even made him the face of their AdiPure line. Nike likes to push boundaries, so that would be an odd fit.

Dude could be the face of Peter Millar so easy
  • getair23getair23 Members Posts: 1,957 ✭✭
    Zurich and MasterCard logos on his shirts might make the Nike thing a little more difficult.
    Ping G400 MAX Aerotech Ti-Fiber Tour 70 F6-x
    Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5 Elements Chrome 7F5T
    Srixon Z 745 (4-9) Z 945 (pw) KBS tour-x
    Fourteen RM 21 50* KBS Tour FLT 130-x
    Bettinardi "The Hive" Black 54* and 60* KBS Tour FLT 130-x
    Edel 64* KBS C-Taper s+
    Evnroll ER2 
  • Zach HeusserZach Heusser Marshals Posts: 5,151 mod

cvhookem63 wrote:

Marlockey wrote:

Dude could be the face of Peter Millar so easy

Agreed but Millar pays less than 5% of what he is going to command
    Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur University <br /><br />My WITB<br /><br /><br /><br />http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/<br />@Zheusser on twitter
  • SubaruWRXSubaruWRX Members Posts: 3,281 ✭✭
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • vietnameehvietnameeh HIT BALL FAR NOT BALL STRAIGHT Members Posts: 1,898 ✭✭
    Honma is so legendary.... I use to think all the golfers in my area were big ballers when I saw the irons in their bag back in the day
    Cobra LTD PRO 7.5F* Aldila Phenom NL 60X
    Callaway XR16 Pro 14* Graphite Design PM902X
    Taylormade M3 17* Fujikura 869 Speeder Tour Spec X
    2012 TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC 4-PW X100
    Wilson FG Tour TC 52,56,60
    Ping TR 1966 Anser 2
    #vietnameeh
  • fillwelixfillwelix Members Posts: 1,228 ✭✭
    edited Nov 7, 2018 #21
    WITB
    Taylormade M3 Speeder Evo IV 565 X
    Taylormade M2 2016 3HL HZRDUS Black 75g S
    Mizuno MP33 3i Steelfiber i110 
    Taylormade P770 4i-5i Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Taylormade P730 6-PW Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Taylormade MG 52 KBS Tour-V 130 S
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 58 & 64 KBS Hi Rev Wedge
    Byron Morgan DH89
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic Members Posts: 3,068 ✭✭
    getair23 wrote:

Zurich and MasterCard logos on his shirts might make the Nike thing a little more difficult.

Not anymore. Pieters also has other sponsors on his Nike clothing.
    Cobra F9 Tour Length
    TM M2 DF 16.5° 
    Irons TBD
    Cobra King Pur 54°/ Vokey Proto 60°
    TW Ardmore
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,120 ✭✭
    UK press confirmed TM dropped him. And as his Adipure range has been a disaster I cannot see Adidas being keen either. Rose would suit a classier brand. Nike may have stacks of players but their gear looks cheap and is only aimed at a young demographic. He is a great player but far from a trend setter. Honma are not a big company so it is unlikely he has gone for more than what TM paid him. He mays just like their clubs like a lot of non-contracted players go to Mizuno.
  • spbrooksspbrooks Members Posts: 323 ✭✭
    Hope it's for a kings ransom. More likely than not it will slow the great run he's been on.
    Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Oban Kiyoshi HB

Ping G 14.5

Callaway Apex UT 21* or Titleist 816H 19*

Titleist 918 AP2 4-pw Project X 6.0

Titleist SM6 50,54,58

Scotty Laguna

TM TP 5
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,854 ✭✭
    I don't see how Rose could grow sales into US market, my 2c. UK and Europe for sure
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • sevenfouratesevenfourate Devotee of OCD ENGLAND.Members Posts: 1,882 ✭✭
    edited Nov 7, 2018 #26
    spbrooks wrote:

Hope it's for a kings ransom. More likely than not it will slow the great run he's been on.

The money must be irrelevant to him by now. Winning is what brings in the $$$$ by design.

Even if he's "only" changing irons and wedges - i still find it astounding at this point in his game.

****Read thread properly now. Dumped no less:

A somewhat 'forced' decision. Would have been no stopping him continuing as he was of course equipment wise and being a free-spirit - at least in the short-term. So irrespective of why / if / how he was dumped. If i were him it would have to be something stupidly attractive to get me to part with anything in the bag while i was World No1 and doing very nicely for myself.

So still astounded...........
    Regards - 'Shuv'

PING G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Red - X
    TAYLORMADE UDi No 4 (23 degree) - Project X - 6.5
    CALLAWAY X22 Tour Irons (5 - PW) - Project X - 6.5
    CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) - DG PRO S300
    RIFE Iconic Tour Vault 3 : Flow-Neck - 340g / 34.75"
    TAYLORMADE TP5 Golf Ball ←NEW 2019 Version→

SHUV'S WITB: http://www.golfwrx.c...l-and-now-2016/
  • sfistsfist Banned Posts: 77
    Marlockey wrote:

Justin would look terrible in Nike. I'm picturing a less schlubby P Reed
  • bcflyguy1bcflyguy1 Enjoying my coffee... Members Posts: 3,014 ✭✭
    This likely isn't going to be the last of the major cost cutting that TM are going to do if they want to remain solvent. That's the primary impetus for this move.
    Never forget that the luxury of being
    wrong is not enough to make you right.
    WITB Link
  • TinkerGolfManTinkerGolfMan Tinker Golf Man Members Posts: 1,215 ✭✭
    Is he going Honma across wedges? Heard he might be adding some Cleveland wedges?
    TaylorMade 2019 M1 9°, Aldila Rogue 110, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Align Midsize
    Bomb Tech 3 Wood Fairway 15°, Oban Devotion, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Nike Golf Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Mizuno JPX 919/ 4-6 Forged Irons /7-PW Tour Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Artisan Golf ★ custom 50°, 54°, 58°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Titleist Scotty Cameron 2016 Select Newport 2, SC Custom Shop work: Black Refinish, High-Buff shaft band, Yellow School Bus SC Matador, Face/Weight Stamps.
  • MooJerseyMooJersey Members Posts: 443 ✭✭
    bcflyguy1 wrote:

This likely isn't going to be the last of the major cost cutting that TM are going to do if they want to remain solvent. That's the primary impetus for this move.

Yeah I thought the same thing. I wonder if their product may suffer in quality in the coming releases.
    Cobra F8+ Driver - EvenFlow Blue
    TEE EX10 Beta 3W - HZRDUS Red
    Cobra F8 3H, 4H, 5H (stock Aldila Rogue)
    Titleist 718 AP2 6-PW, AMT Black
    Vokey SM7 50-12F
    Vokey SM7 56-14F
    Odyssey Works 2-Ball
  • gyro25 wrote:

And whats wrong with chasing more money? Still gonna be the same Justin Rose. And no getting paid in golf is not the same as getting paid in say football or basketball. There is no holding out in golf.