Justin Rose to Honma

Comments

• jmvargasjmvargas Members Posts: 6,164 ✭✭
    edited Jan 5, 2019 8:17pm #392
    I have always maintained that Japan OEM equipment actually "made in Japan" is the best in the world when It comes to quality control and materials used...specially their top of the line models..

unfortunately not too many golfers in the USA are aware of this and many Japanese OEM stuff is just a bit unaffordable for the average Joe--it certainly is for me.

I applaud Honma's move to try and correct this situation and wish them all the best in this effort..

am pretty sure the major US brands will take heed to improve their own products if Honma proves successful..
    Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
    TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
    Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
    Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
    Giga U3 21* hybrid
    Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
    Adams V4 6H/7H
    Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
    HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
    Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
    Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
    Cleveland 588 56/60
  • d1boundd1bound Members Posts: 130 ✭✭

Bonobo clothing?

Moles in holes?

HAS ROSE LOST HIS MIND?!?!

He did find some money
    G400 LST 8.5*/Accra Tour Z RPG 472 M5+
    Callaway X2Hot 4(17*) Wood
    MP-18 Fli-Hi 3/KBS 120 S
    Srixon Z765 4-P/C-Taper 120 S
    Cleveland RTX 2.0 52,56,60
    Rife Antigua/Flat Cat

"When I die I'm going out as an underdog who never lost hope" - Joyner Lucas
  • llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer ClubWRX Posts: 3,357 ClubWRX
    Makes sense to me. Former TaylorMade CEO who is close to Justin Rose now runs Honma. Probably promised him he would be the anchor Player for the company and he can have whatever design clubs he wants. Looking at the clubs he has pictured just recently, looks like he is close to his 2014 Mb roots. Heck, these guys are good enough to play as close to anything as they want. Just added a couple of zeros to his annual check and bam. Good for Taylormade as they are probably trying to trim their roster as well.
    Cobra F8 9* Aldila Rogue 60 3.0 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 14.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.3 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 17.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.6 X Stiff
    Cobra MB/CB 4-PW DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra MB 50/54/60 DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Taylor Made Ghost Long Hosel DA22
    Vice Pro +
  • Dscvrr St LouisDscvrr St Louis #CALLAWRX 12/12/12 & HOGAN Ft Worth ClubWRX Posts: 5,398 ✭✭
    We had Honma at CC over the last year, hoping to have the new irons soon enough. They were priced less than most premium irons on the wall from the main OEMS. So they were smart in the pricing over in the US!! and felt amazing, owned a set for 6 months..
    Callaway Rogue SZ 8.0(9.0-N/-1), XPHLEXXX Agera Red Stripe Stiff, Veylix Rome 788, VA Composites Raijin 74 04
    Callaway Rogue SZ 15 Veylix 888 FM4 Matte Black, VA Composites Raijin 74 04
    Callaway BB Alpha 815 Hybrid 20*(Set to 19*)Veylix Rome 988 S
    Callaway X Forged 2017/Apex MB 2017 Modus 3 Tour 120 X
    Toulon Garage Long Island, Tad Moore Seve TM2(2017), Piretti Potenza Tour Only, Tad Moore TM4(2018), Tad Moore TM7 JV(1992), Ping ZB Vault 2.0
    Callaway MD4 54/58 Modus 3 125 Wedge/ Vega 50/54/58 Modus 125 Limited Blue

WITB Link
  • LesmondLesmond Members Posts: 11,595 ✭✭
    Driver: TaylorMade M6 10.5*
    Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
    Fairway: TaylorMade M3 19*
    Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
    Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 (raw) 50*, 54*
    Wedges: TaylorMade Hi-Toe 60*
    Putter: TaylorMade Spider X copper 

21Pd3+4L8HL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg
  • BarracudaBarracuda Members Posts: 520 ✭✭
    pga43 wrote:

Has it also been mentioned yet that he's got the formerly known as Directed Force now the L.A.B Golf putter in the bag?

Wrong, it's an Axis one putter.

Greg
    He is using a #7 type axis? Do you know if it will come to retail. I have tried the original axis, and although it was ugly, the roll was great.
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 2,256 ✭✭
    Lesmond wrote:

Loving how Justin is walking us thru the process of his new clubs. Quite an insight for fans that are interested in those kind of things.
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • Tiptx1122Tiptx1122 TMPing Members Posts: 1,651 ClubWRX
    I hated to see Justin Rose leave TM but who knows what his asking price was to stay with them. Plus what he has done in the last few previous years will be awful hard to duplicate so I wish him the best with Honma as I know they are some nice clubs as I've owned one of there drivers but it wouldn't surprise me to see Rose stick with TM woods.
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 6,588 ✭✭

We had Honma at CC over the last year, hoping to have the new irons soon enough. They were priced less than most premium irons on the wall from the main OEMS. So they were smart in the pricing over in the US!! and felt amazing, owned a set for 6 months..

only 6 months???
    Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
    3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP18MMC FLIHI
    5-9 IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 48, 53, 58, 64
    PUTTER; Directed Force 2.1
    BALL; various, ask me that day.
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,232 ✭✭
    QuigleyDU wrote:

only 6 months???

Hey that's an eternity for some of us folks around here.
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution 10.5* - Proforce V2 HL - S
    Callaway X-Hot 15* - Project X something or other - R
    Maltby KE4 Tour 19*/22* - Kuro Kage Black 80hy - S
    Maltby MMB 17 - DGS300
    W/S PMP Raw 52/56/60 - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    W/S Bucktown
  • Dscvrr St LouisDscvrr St Louis #CALLAWRX 12/12/12 & HOGAN Ft Worth ClubWRX Posts: 5,398 ✭✭
    QuigleyDU wrote:

only 6 months???

LOL! Had 4 sets of irons at the time, needed to weed it down!!! Set I regret the most about getting rid of though!! Just great feel and performance.
    Callaway Rogue SZ 8.0(9.0-N/-1), XPHLEXXX Agera Red Stripe Stiff, Veylix Rome 788, VA Composites Raijin 74 04
    Callaway Rogue SZ 15 Veylix 888 FM4 Matte Black, VA Composites Raijin 74 04
    Callaway BB Alpha 815 Hybrid 20*(Set to 19*)Veylix Rome 988 S
    Callaway X Forged 2017/Apex MB 2017 Modus 3 Tour 120 X
    Toulon Garage Long Island, Tad Moore Seve TM2(2017), Piretti Potenza Tour Only, Tad Moore TM4(2018), Tad Moore TM7 JV(1992), Ping ZB Vault 2.0
    Callaway MD4 54/58 Modus 3 125 Wedge/ Vega 50/54/58 Modus 125 Limited Blue

WITB Link
  • daleheaddalehead Members Posts: 1,461 ✭✭
    Honma now owned by a Chinese businessman who has hired an American former Taylor Made exec to do his marketing. Reports of Honma clubs available off the rack at Roger Dunn. Haven't checked the JDM board. Are the guys over there apoplectic?
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 6,588 ✭✭

QuigleyDU wrote:

only 6 months???

LOL! Had 4 sets of irons at the time, needed to weed it down!!! Set I regret the most about getting rid of though!! Just great feel and performance.

i have been around here long enough to know how it goes. i am simply jealous that i do not have the funds to live that way. my last set of irons i had for 5 years. i recently retired a 3 wood that i had for about 7-8 etc.
    Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
    3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP18MMC FLIHI
    5-9 IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 48, 53, 58, 64
    PUTTER; Directed Force 2.1
    BALL; various, ask me that day.
    edited Jan 14, 2019 8:09pm #405
    Driver pics

Irons/wedges

• Aaronwilson_95Aaronwilson_95 Members Posts: 829 ✭✭
    Barracuda wrote:

pga43 wrote:

Has it also been mentioned yet that he's got the formerly known as Directed Force now the L.A.B Golf putter in the bag?

Wrong, it's an Axis one putter.

Greg
    He is using a #7 type axis? Do you know if it will come to retail. I have tried the original axis, and although it was ugly, the roll was great.

I can’t remember how long ago , but I remember you mentioning that someone (high profile ) who was under contract couldn’t use their axis putter in tournament play but they carried it around for training . This wouldn’t be that player by chance ?
  • summerofsummerof Members Posts: 201 ✭✭
    Some good looking irons there. At least from the back, for what that is worth.
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,075 ✭✭
    Interesting to see that they were able to get him into a Honma shaft as well, in the driver.

I"ll be interested in seeing if he keeps it in the bag! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • doubledubdoubledub ClubWRX Posts: 71 ClubWRX
    I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in the Tensei Orange soon. I believe he was one of the few that put it in play and actually stuck with it all last season (I could be wrong). Is that Homna shaft available or is it a prototype for Rose?
  • Luke'sdadLuke'sdad Lukes's dad Members Posts: 100 ✭✭
    Seems pretty much any top pro who has this type of a major equipment change, always has a period of time when they struggle adapting to their new gear. Rose isn't a young pup any longer, and I imagine the money was just too good to turn down. Can't blame the guy for that, but it will be interesting to see if he maintains his current form, or struggles with the new sticks initially.
  • D_iGital_pUnkD_iGital_pUnk Hack Members Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Can someone shed some light on the Axis putter? What's it about?
    Titleist TS3 9.5* Hazardous Smoke
    Titleist TS2 15* Hazardous Smoke
    Titleist T-MB 18* 2 Iron TT AMT S300
    Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW TT AMT S300
    Titleist Vokey 50*,54* SM6 Raw, 60* SM7 Black
    I like Putters
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,464 ✭✭
    “That was a big factor in having that flexibility,” Rose said at Honma’s official North American launch Monday at Riviera Country Club. “The putter was a huge reason why this conversation [with Honma] started. I’ve continued, fortunately, to be surprised at every step of the way with the products Honma has been able to produce.”

So a big/huge factor as to why you went to Honma wasn't even...Honma?

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-real-reason-justin-rose-signed-with-honma
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • dunndunn Members Posts: 6,362 ✭✭
    I like the look of their previous MB better....his new driver looks sick

New MB looks lil funky to me
  • KonkliferKonklifer Thinkin' of a master plan... location, location.Members Posts: 7,813 ✭✭
    Holy Moses wrote:

“That was a big factor in having that flexibility,” Rose said at Honma’s official North American launch Monday at Riviera Country Club. “The putter was a huge reason why this conversation [with Honma] started. I’ve continued, fortunately, to be surprised at every step of the way with the products Honma has been able to produce.”

https://www.golfdige...gned-with-honma

Sounds like TM wanted him to use their putter.
    PING G400 Max 10°
    PING G400 16.5°
    PING G400 hybrid 19°
    PING i25 hybrid 22°
    Callaway XHP 5-AW
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES
    Kevin Burns 9306
    Snell MTB Red Optic Yellow
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 2,256 ✭✭
    edited Jan 16, 2019 11:16am #415
    Rose has stated in an interview with GC that he has been "working" with the equipment for 4/5 months. No surprise given his approach to his game that he was very prepared for the Jan 1 switch.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • jmvargasjmvargas Members Posts: 6,164 ✭✭
    edited Jan 16, 2019 4:41am #416
    I'm fairly confident that after the initial "getting to know you" period with his new sticks Justin Rose will do very well with Honma for many years. to come...the company has been making top-notch equipment for more than 60 years I believe and those of us here in Asia know that and many have coveted their equipment for a long time but it was just out of reach for the average income earner so we had to make do with the more affordable western made stuff....their list of past and present endorsers and users of their equipment includes many of the elite Asian golfers both men and women and reads almost like the Asian Hall of Fame for golfers....
    Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
    TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
    Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
    Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
    Giga U3 21* hybrid
    Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
    Adams V4 6H/7H
    Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
    HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
    Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
    Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
    Cleveland 588 56/60
  • gticlaygticlay gticlay Members Posts: 986
    I guess the Honma wants to buy TM thing sounds reasonable. I've played a complete set of them before in Asia. I don't know how much they cost, but there was gold plating at least on the irons. It was so long ago I don't remember what model etc but they looked a bit cheesy to me at the time. Certainly not made for the NA market! Their newer stuff looks nice.
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,142 ✭✭
    Konklifer wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

[url="https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-real-reason-justin-rose-signed-with-honma"]https://www.golfdige...gned-with-honma[/url]

Sounds like TM wanted him to use their putter.

That’s the case with all their staff. They want players to use all the gear and also to upgrade every release
  • goudokgoudok Members Posts: 44 ✭✭
    Didn't read entire thread, but getting used to equipment is a thing. Like im an 8 handicap my irons were fit for me over 3 years ago and every time i go try something else and get fitted, fitters generally can get better numbers, but i hate the feel, ok not hate it but it just feels different enough that i don't even want to get used to it. I know I would get used to it, but i don't even care to kinda thing.

I know for pros they can make anything feel exactly how they want them to feel. No wonder you see a ton of players without a deal now they'll keep playing whatever they are used to and not bother switching.

• KrazyTrain18KrazyTrain18 Members Posts: 3,164 ✭✭
    Holy Moses wrote:

https://www.golfdige...gned-with-honma

At least he's being honest, I don't think anybody would realistically have expected the woods to be as good as they are.
    915D3 9.5 (GD-DI 6S Black Edition)
    910F 15 (Diamana Kai'li 75S)
    712U 2I (DG S300)
    714 AP2 4-W (DG S300)
    SM6 (50-54-58) (DG S200)
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 (Studio Select)
    TP5