Justin Rose to Honma

Comments

• corkycorky Members Posts: 2,858
    Just goes to show the dire straits ™ are in if they just off the current world no.1
  • TinkerGolfManTinkerGolfMan Tinker Golf Man Members Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Whose down!!!?? LOL JwadjH1.png
    TaylorMade 2019 M1 9°, Aldila Rogue 110, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Align Midsize
    Bomb Tech 3 Wood Fairway 15°, Oban Devotion, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Nike Golf Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Mizuno JPX 919/ 4-6 Forged Irons /7-PW Tour Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Artisan Golf ★ custom 50°, 54°, 58°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Titleist Scotty Cameron 2016 Select Newport 2, SC Custom Shop work: Black Refinish, High-Buff shaft band, Yellow School Bus SC Matador, Face/Weight Stamps.
  • ZBigStickZBigStick Practice Perfect Form Members Posts: 5,313 ✭✭
    Adidas no longer owns TM so I would expect to see him remain with the three stripes as Sergio and Xander have.
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]M4 9.5˚(10˚) GD TP-6[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]BB Alpha 816 16˚(15˚) Rogue I/O 70
    Apex 20˚ Kuro Kage Black 80
    [/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Z U45 23˚ Steelfiber i95
    Z 745 5-PW Steelfiber i110 cw
    [/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]RTX-4 50˚M, 56˚F (55˚), 60˚F S400 ti[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Spider Tour L-neck Silver
    Pro V1 2017
    [/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]TP-5[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Oakley Targetline Prizm Golf Dark[/font]
  • toctoc Members Posts: 2,710 ✭✭
    Every year this happens and people talk about money as if there’s a tremendous amount being thrown around in these deals, but no one ever seems to know the numbers. Does anyone actually know the figures involved here? I always feel like we overestimate the value of these deals.
    Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying
  • Aaronwilson_95Aaronwilson_95 Posts: 818 ✭✭
    toc wrote:

Every year this happens and people talk about money as if there’s a tremendous amount being thrown around in these deals, but no one ever seems to know the numbers. Does anyone actually know the figures involved here? I always feel like we overestimate the value of these deals.

From my understanding these deals have a lot of bonus options , for example wins , tops 10’s owgr at certain points. Which is likely why the owgr race right now between him dj and brooks is something more “below water “ than not. If I were to guess they would all get a handsome bonus by finishing the calendar year as owgr 1 from all of their respective contracts
  • Bdmac79Bdmac79 Posts: 896 ✭✭
    He'll be just fine...
    TS3/9.5/Tour AD-IZ 6
    TS2/15/Tour AD-DI 7
    913H.d/18/Tour AD-DI 85
    MP-18 Fli Hi 3/Tour AD 95
    MP-18 4-PW/PX LZ
    SM7 Raw 52.8F/PX LZ
    SM7 Raw 58.8M/PX LZ
    SC Circle T NP2 Custom
    Pro V1
  • dubbelbogeydubbelbogey Posts: 367 ✭✭
    All for Justin Rose seeking a better contract for himself - if it's a better deal for him and his family, that's all that really matters for him (as long as they perform, of course, which I don't imagine will be a problem at all.)

What might be more interesting is to see if this gives Honma a better market presence and, in turn, provides better market performance. Do they really care if they sell more clubs in the US or Europe? Maybe, but it's possible they're bringing on Rose mostly to polish their image for their mainstay Asian market. If they're really going after the US and European markets from an actual sales perspective, they have a lot of work to do.
    ZBigStick wrote:

Adidas no longer owns TM so I would expect to see him remain with the three stripes as Sergio and Xander have.
    True that!
    Nike Golf Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Mizuno JPX 919/ 4-6 Forged Irons /7-PW Tour Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Artisan Golf ★ custom 50°, 54°, 58°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Titleist Scotty Cameron 2016 Select Newport 2, SC Custom Shop work: Black Refinish, High-Buff shaft band, Yellow School Bus SC Matador, Face/Weight Stamps.
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,022 ✭✭
    edited Nov 7, 2018 #41
    He'll be fine. Their Tour World line is very nice.

Irons are top-notch, and the woods (if he chooses to add those to the bag as well) are extremely underrated. I've hit them against the bigger named OEMs and they did just as well/better
  • TexasCarlosTexasCarlos Unregistered Posts: 861 ✭✭
    even Riggs from Barstool wrote about this (he's a moron and has no clue about equipment yet titleist fitted him fully LOL). Point is Rosie can play anything and he'll be fine, no need to overreact when a tour pro switches.
    G400 LST
    TM SLDR TS
    Apex UT 18'
    Apex MB 18'
    RTX 2.0 Raw
    Ping Anser Milled
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,142 ✭✭

WTF?

I thought you photoshopped this until I looked it up. That shop, willpga, is legit as well.

You can get brand new knock offs with a choice of shafts for $558 Straight out of Guangzhou China.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Golf-Clubs-Irons-Honma-Is-05-3-Star-Golf-Irons-5-11-Aw-Sw-Graphite-Golf-/183420389584
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag

WTF?

I thought you photoshopped this until I looked it up. That shop, willpga, is legit as well.

You can get brand new knock offs with a choice of shafts for $558 Straight out of Guangzhou China.

https://www.ebay.com...f-/183420389584

Hahaha. Yes you can.
  • mctrees02mctrees02 Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,278 ✭✭
    gyro25 wrote:

Egg let him follow the money.. funny how golf ends up being like other sports where players jump teams for the bigger paycheck

On that note, F laveon Bell for his holdout still
    with Nike out of the equipment business, the days of large club deals are going away as fast as the manufacturers can shed them.
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,843 ✭✭
    Hopefully it's not another Sergio. I saw the dude on the back of a milk carton the other day. Nobody has seen him since April 2017.
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • i8myshirti8myshirt Members Posts: 29
    I was lucky enough to try one of their cavity back, non gold plated irons and they were one of the softest irons I've ever hit. I hope Rose can bring the brand some exposure because I imagine their normal clubs are really good.
  • HonmanHonman Members Posts: 1,035 ✭✭
    TollBros wrote:
    Hopefully it's not another Sergio. I saw the dude on the back of a milk carton the other day. Nobody has seen him since April 2017.

He won in Spain just a couple of weeks ago. He's had a bad year, but he turned up at the Ryder Cup too.
    Driver: TaylorMade M5 9 Mitsubishi Tensei White Pro 60S
    Fairway Wood: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero Mitsubishi C6 70S
    Hybrid: Ping G41019 & 22 Alta CB 7S
    Irons: Ping i500 KBS Tour V 100R
    Wedge: Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth AWT 50, 56, 60
    Putter: TBC
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,220 ✭✭
    edited Nov 7, 2018 #49
    I love their descriptions on their website of their clubs.

Example:

"Like 717M, this model provides a mild sense of hitting, high spin performance , and excellent control performance, all of which are specific to the muscle back forged mechanism. Considered requests from tournament professional golfers, the top and leading edges are sharp, providing an image of sharper motion with that shape. In addition, making the pocket appearance uniform in a set of golf clubs provides the impression of crushing the ball with the same feeling"

I want to see JR in a commercial saying exactly that.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 3,958 ClubWRX
    Don't know why anyone would play Honma down, their stuff is legit. My buddy plays some TW 737 irons and he is smitten... really good stuff and I hope Rose kills it out there with what he bags. I hit a 737 driver the other day and was really impressed with its performance, besides the sound.... Hoping to see Honma blow up a little bit here in the US. I agree Rose doesn't particularly move the needle, but hard to ignore W#1.
    Ping G400 9* Proforce V2 66s
    Taylormade M2 15* Proforce V2 66s
    Titleist 816 H1 19*  Fujikura Motore 8.8 TS
    Srixon Z745 4-P PX 5.5 Flighted
    Titleist SM5 50/56
    Odyssey PT2
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,432 ✭✭
    He'll still be playing ctaper shafts so nothing will change. He could play shovel heads on those ctapers and still stripe it.
  • ThayneilThayneil Members Posts: 523 ✭✭

jimb6golf wrote:

Hope it doesn't end up similar to when Corey Pavin switched to PRGR irons years ago and his game all but disappeared. Will be interested to see what he ends up playing though.

The same pavin who played the Cleveland VAS ? Can't really blame the irons now can he ?

I thought this was reported a couple months ago in tour talk ? Honma is a step up in quality. Not down.

yes 100%

top Japanese quality
  • ZBigStickZBigStick Practice Perfect Form Members Posts: 5,313 ✭✭
    getitdaily wrote:
    He'll still be playing ctaper shafts so nothing will change. He could play shovel heads on those ctapers and still stripe it.

He hits the ball with the shaft?

image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]M4 9.5˚(10˚) GD TP-6[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]BB Alpha 816 16˚(15˚) Rogue I/O 70
    Apex 20˚ Kuro Kage Black 80
    [/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Z U45 23˚ Steelfiber i95
    Z 745 5-PW Steelfiber i110 cw
    [/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]RTX-4 50˚M, 56˚F (55˚), 60˚F S400 ti[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Spider Tour L-neck Silver
    Pro V1 2017
    [/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]TP-5[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Oakley Targetline Prizm Golf Dark[/font]
  • kro88kro88 Members Posts: 125 ✭✭
    ZBigStick wrote:

I agree. He just singed his deal with Morgan Stanley as well. I’m sure their logo will be found somewhere on adidas clothing.

Plus he’s #1 in world and has worn adidas shoes for 20 years. I doubt he’ll want to change shoes right now
    Bag of tricks - in Mackenzie Walker
    Driver: Ping G400 LST 10 +1 w/Fuji Speeder 661 Evo IV X
    Wood: Titleist 913 F2 19 w/Diamana S+ Blue 72s
    Irons: Miura CB-1957 w/KBS Tour Stiff 3iron -1 flat, Miura 1957 Baby Blades w/KBS Tour Stiff 4-PW -1 flat
    Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design V grind oil can 54 - 2 flt -1 wk w/KBS 610, Titleist Vokey Design Low Bounc K oil can 60 -2 flt w/KBS Hi-rev, Taylormade Hi-Toe 64 w/KBS Hi-Rev
    Putter: Mizuno TPM3 33.5 Inches, w tungsten powder in hosel, SS 3.0 grip
    Ball: Titleist Pro-V1X
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 7,774 ✭✭
    edited Nov 7, 2018 #55
    Looking at the prices, apart from the weird stuff, Honma is affordable, particularly for JDM. Pavin not only switched brands, he switched types of clubs. Lee Janzen did the same thing when he went to Hogan, wrecked both of them.
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanPosts: 5,081 ✭✭
    As he plays blades, I wonder if this means Honma will put out a new forged blade. The 717 and 727 lines included a forged blade, but strictly speaking, the 737 line did not. I say strictly speaking, because the TW-BM came out before the 737 line and doesn't carry the 737 label. It's also cast, not forged like the 717 and 727 blades and most of the 737 irons.
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 2,992 ✭✭
    elwhippy wrote:

Honma are not a big company
    Recent sales figures for Honma are $250 million/year with very little US/Europe presence. It's not like they are some guy selling knock off/clone clubs out of a garage somewhere. Just because Honma doesn't have the sales of Cally/TM/Titleist etc doesn't mean they are "small".

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/justin-rose-to-leave-taylormade-expected-to-sign-with-honma

Honma, famous for its gold-plated clubs, artisan-style craftsmanship and five-figure price tags, has redoubled its efforts to become a major player in the golf business both globally and specifically in North America after having been purchased by Chinese businessman Liu Jianguo. Originally established in 1959 in Sakata, Japan, Honma languished in the early 2000s before being purchased by a fund run by Liu, a Chinese businessman whose company makes hair dryers and rice cookers. An avid golfer, Liu changed Honma’s business model in Asia and its sales have increased the last four years in a row to nearly $250 million. Honma now is listed on the Hong Kong stock exchange after a 2016 initial public offering. It also is the title sponsor of the Hong Kong Open.
  • JCM96JCM96 Posts: 119 ✭✭
    Tbh, I see Justin Rose doing well with whatever irons he chooses. He's just too good of a ball striker.
    Driver: Taylormade M1 460 Tour Issue (Kuro Kage DC XT 70TX)
    3W: Exotics XCG6 15*
    3H: Exotics XCG6
    Irons: 4-PW Titleist 714 AP2 (TT TI S400)
    Wedges: Vokey SM4 52* 56* 60*
    Putter: SC Futura 5w Flow Neck by Slighter
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1X
  • coastgolferhackercoastgolferhacker Members Posts: 5
    Has anyone thought that maybe TM is making room for another player who moves the needle to come in??? No renewal for Sergio last year and Rose this year has made a lot of space, looks to me like they are making a play for a well known player.... Watch this space!!
  • andrieddleandrieddle Posts: 1,798 ✭✭
    Can't wait what his bag would look like! exciting!
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra Fly Z+ (11)
    Cobra Bio Cell 4W (16)
    TaylorMade R15 4H (21)
    FourteeN TC 606 (5-P/A)

Bridgestone J15 (50)
    Callaway MD2 (56/60)
    Odyssey EXO 7S
    [/font]
  • MarkFromTheUKMarkFromTheUK Members Posts: 4,639 ✭✭

At least the shipping is free...

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
    PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX