Justin Rose to Honma

1246715

Comments

  • 300_yard_drives300_yard_drives Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,180 ✭✭
    Honma is a business decision. I know a couple players with Honma in Asia and they get prize money matched as bonus of any win. I would ASSUME Rose has the same deal and is gambling on himself where he has higher potential earnings based off his play.
  • jll62jll62 ClubWRX Posts: 1,992 ClubWRX


    Honma is a business decision. I know a couple players with Honma in Asia and they get prize money matched as bonus of any win. I would ASSUME Rose has the same deal and is gambling on himself where he has higher potential earnings based off his play.




    They're all business decisions, right? I assume TM is unwilling/unable to pay the endorsement fee that Rose will now command as a #1/#2 player in the world; not that unlike Sergio becoming a major champion and changing endorsement categories.
    TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Pro White 60 S, 44.75"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Pro White 70 S, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade P-770 3-4, DG X100 (SSx1)
    TaylorMade P-750 5-PW, DG X100 (SSx1)
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 60 (58), DG S400
    TaylorMade DJ Itsy Bitsy Proto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

    jll62's WITB
  • J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,269 ✭✭
    jll62 wrote:



    Honma is a business decision. I know a couple players with Honma in Asia and they get prize money matched as bonus of any win. I would ASSUME Rose has the same deal and is gambling on himself where he has higher potential earnings based off his play.




    They're all business decisions, right? I assume TM is unwilling/unable to pay the endorsement fee that Rose will now command as a #1/#2 player in the world; not that unlike Sergio becoming a major champion and changing endorsement categories.




    TM is focused on Tiger, Rory, DJ, and Rahm. I personally think Rory will leave after his current contract is over but that's purely my opinion
    Callaway Flash SZ 9* / ROGUE 130msi Silver 70TX
    Nike VR Pro LTD 15* / Aldila RIP 80X
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey White Hot Versa #6 Tour issue
    Srixon Zstar XV


    GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub

    GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

    WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

    INSTAGRAM- @Jminis13
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 6,202 ✭✭
    J13 wrote:

    jll62 wrote:



    Honma is a business decision. I know a couple players with Honma in Asia and they get prize money matched as bonus of any win. I would ASSUME Rose has the same deal and is gambling on himself where he has higher potential earnings based off his play.




    They're all business decisions, right? I assume TM is unwilling/unable to pay the endorsement fee that Rose will now command as a #1/#2 player in the world; not that unlike Sergio becoming a major champion and changing endorsement categories.




    TM is focused on Tiger, Rory, DJ, and Rahm. I personally think Rory will leave after his current contract is over but that's purely my opinion




    it will not make any difference in the long run, lots of rumors out there that Honma is in talks to buy TM. the investment group that bought TM a few years ago is looking to flip it for a profit and get out.
    driver: SRIXON Z745
    fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
    3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP18MMC FLIHI
    5-9 IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX 4: 48, 53, 58, 64
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
    BALL; various, ask me that day.
  • jll62jll62 ClubWRX Posts: 1,992 ClubWRX
    QuigleyDU wrote:

    J13 wrote:

    jll62 wrote:



    Honma is a business decision. I know a couple players with Honma in Asia and they get prize money matched as bonus of any win. I would ASSUME Rose has the same deal and is gambling on himself where he has higher potential earnings based off his play.




    They're all business decisions, right? I assume TM is unwilling/unable to pay the endorsement fee that Rose will now command as a #1/#2 player in the world; not that unlike Sergio becoming a major champion and changing endorsement categories.




    TM is focused on Tiger, Rory, DJ, and Rahm. I personally think Rory will leave after his current contract is over but that's purely my opinion




    it will not make any difference in the long run, lots of rumors out there that Honma is in talks to buy TM. the investment group that bought TM a few years ago is looking to flip it for a profit and get out.




    The TMaG divestiture is only a year old (Oct 2017). I have no doubt that the group that purchased TM will be looking to make a profit soon, but a year seems a little early to get out. Hard to enact any real cost savings in that short amount of time without slashing and burning, which hasn't happened.



    In any case, I really hope the Honma rumors aren't true. I don't want Mark King anywhere near TaylorMade again. Perhaps some of their product cycle decisions were mandated by the adidas Group's growth targets, but it all happened under his watch. Don't want to see those days again.
    TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Pro White 60 S, 44.75"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Pro White 70 S, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade P-770 3-4, DG X100 (SSx1)
    TaylorMade P-750 5-PW, DG X100 (SSx1)
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 60 (58), DG S400
    TaylorMade DJ Itsy Bitsy Proto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

    jll62's WITB
  • KennyPKennyP Posts: 857 ✭✭
    Putter will be interesting. Rose has always been faithful to TM with the putter - I think he even used a Nubbins for a while!



    Now he's no longer with TM will he go Odyssey?
  • TinkerGolfManTinkerGolfMan Tinker Golf Man Members Posts: 1,167 ✭✭
    getair23 wrote:


    Looking forward to Honma JR Phase 1's.
    Yeah can't wait to see these! LOL
    TaylorMade 2019 M1 9°, Aldila Rogue 110, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Align Midsize
    Bomb Tech 3 Wood Fairway 15°, Oban Devotion, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Nike Golf Vapor Speed 5 Wood Fairway 19°, Fujikura 73 Tour Spec, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Mizuno JPX 919/ 4-6 Forged Irons /7-PW Tour Irons, KBS C-Taper, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Artisan Golf ★ custom 50°, 54°, 58°, Nippon Modus 120 Wedge, Golf Pride MCC Plus 4
    Titleist Scotty Cameron 2016 Select Newport 2, SC Custom Shop work: Black Refinish, High-Buff shaft band, Yellow School Bus SC Matador, Face/Weight Stamps.
  • jll62jll62 ClubWRX Posts: 1,992 ClubWRX
    KennyP wrote:


    Putter will be interesting. Rose has always been faithful to TM with the putter - I think he even used a Nubbins for a while!



    Now he's no longer with TM will he go Odyssey?




    A few weeks ago there were rumors of him using an Axis putter. However, he seems to have settled on that Ardmore after much tinkering over the past couple of seasons. I'd be a little surprised to see him use something else, at least in the near future.
    TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Pro White 60 S, 44.75"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Pro White 70 S, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade P-770 3-4, DG X100 (SSx1)
    TaylorMade P-750 5-PW, DG X100 (SSx1)
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 60 (58), DG S400
    TaylorMade DJ Itsy Bitsy Proto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

    jll62's WITB
  • delmerdelmer ClubWRX Posts: 439 ClubWRX
    It will be an interesting move. I'm not a big fan of the look of their clubs but this will give them a lot of publicity.
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Members Posts: 2,084 ClubWRX
    ^^ I think the "Tour World" CBs Honma do are a very nice looking clubs.



    http://www.honmagolf.co.jp/en/item/club/iron.html
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,405 ✭✭
    Edwin Watts here has been pushing Honma pretty hard. My buddy just got a set of irons and theyre pretty nice.



    A retired LPGA player at my club also plays them.
    Long Live Nike
  • Shanks2424Shanks2424 Members Posts: 215 ✭✭
    I would play them I love the looks of the tour world drivers, fairway woods, hybrids, irons and wedges
    Brad's Bag 2019
    Driver- Titleist 910 D3 8.5 Fujikura Speeder Pro TS Stiff
    3 Wood- Titleist 909 F3 15* Matrix HD9 Stiff
    Hybrid- Adams A12 Pro 18* Project X PXI 6.0
    3-PW- Titleist DCI 990 TT Dynamic Gold S300
    Wedges-Titleist Vokey Spin Milled CC 54/58 TT Dynamic Gold S300
    Putter- Odyssey Tank 1 34 Inches Super Stroke Flatso 1.0
    Ball- Titleist Pro V1
    Bag Ogio Woode Stand Bag
     Grips Lamkin UTX Wrap 2 Wraps of Tape

    Gavin's Bad 9 Year old son
    Driver- Cobra Fly Z 12.5 Junior Cobra Shaft
    4Wood- Cobra Amp 16.5 Cobra Junior Shaft[/background]
    Hybrid- ???????
    6-PW Cobra Max Apollo Junior Steel Shaft
    Wedges- Cobra Max 50*  Cobra Pur 56* Apollo Junior Steel Shaft
    Putter- Odyssey Metal X Rossie Super Stroke Ultra Slim 1.0
    Ball- Titleist DTtru Soft.
    Bag- Maxfli Black and Blue Junior Bag
    Winn Dritec on Driver and 3 Wood
    Golf Pride Junior Tour Velvet On Irons and Wedges.
  • TK3309TK3309 Members Posts: 179 ✭✭
    J13 wrote:

    jll62 wrote:



    Honma is a business decision. I know a couple players with Honma in Asia and they get prize money matched as bonus of any win. I would ASSUME Rose has the same deal and is gambling on himself where he has higher potential earnings based off his play.




    They're all business decisions, right? I assume TM is unwilling/unable to pay the endorsement fee that Rose will now command as a #1/#2 player in the world; not that unlike Sergio becoming a major champion and changing endorsement categories.




    TM is focused on Tiger, Rory, DJ, and Rahm. I personally think Rory will leave after his current contract is over but that's purely my opinion




    Isn't Rory's contract rumored to be 10 years and expire in 2027?
    TaylorMade M5 Tour 9 Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 6X
    TaylorMade M5 3 Wood Fujikura Speeder Evolution 757X
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 2 Iron HZRDUS 6.5
    TaylorMade P790 3 Iron Dynamic Gold X100
    TaylorMade P770 4-PW Dynamic Gold X100
    TaylorMade Milled Grind Raw 52 and Hi-Toe 58.10
    TaylorMade Spider X Copper
    Taylormade TP5
  • lonscicleslonscicles Members Posts: 35
    Intresting change, will be intruiged to see how this fares for him in upcoming season.
  • rkelso184rkelso184 Posts: 156 ✭✭
    TK3309 wrote:

    J13 wrote:

    jll62 wrote:



    Honma is a business decision. I know a couple players with Honma in Asia and they get prize money matched as bonus of any win. I would ASSUME Rose has the same deal and is gambling on himself where he has higher potential earnings based off his play.




    They're all business decisions, right? I assume TM is unwilling/unable to pay the endorsement fee that Rose will now command as a #1/#2 player in the world; not that unlike Sergio becoming a major champion and changing endorsement categories.




    TM is focused on Tiger, Rory, DJ, and Rahm. I personally think Rory will leave after his current contract is over but that's purely my opinion




    Isn't Rory's contract rumored to be 10 years and expire in 2027?




    Rory and TM have just done the junior kits. No way would Rory leave. He struggled after the Nike change, I don't feel he would do that to himself again especially since TM make everyone proto irons so they get what they want
    Driver - G410 Evenflow Black 70S
    4W - F9 Fuji Speeder XLR8 Pro 73S
    6W - F9 Fuji Speeder XLR8 Pro 73S
    4H - JPX900 Fuji Pro 73HS
    5 to P - P790 1" Over KBS Tour S
    50-54-58 - MD4 Black DGS200 TI 
    P - Spider X 35"
    Ball - Chrome Soft

  • ThayneilThayneil Members Posts: 523 ✭✭
    rkelso184 wrote:

    TK3309 wrote:

    J13 wrote:

    jll62 wrote:



    Honma is a business decision. I know a couple players with Honma in Asia and they get prize money matched as bonus of any win. I would ASSUME Rose has the same deal and is gambling on himself where he has higher potential earnings based off his play.




    They're all business decisions, right? I assume TM is unwilling/unable to pay the endorsement fee that Rose will now command as a #1/#2 player in the world; not that unlike Sergio becoming a major champion and changing endorsement categories.




    TM is focused on Tiger, Rory, DJ, and Rahm. I personally think Rory will leave after his current contract is over but that's purely my opinion




    Isn't Rory's contract rumored to be 10 years and expire in 2027?




    Rory and TM have just done the junior kits. No way would Rory leave. He struggled after the Nike change, I don't feel he would do that to himself again especially since TM make everyone proto irons so they get what they want




    Rory struggles with the constant change in Drivers.He has to play the most up to date version
  • jll62jll62 ClubWRX Posts: 1,992 ClubWRX
    Thayneil wrote:


    Rory struggles with the constant change in Drivers.He has to play the most up to date version




    I know a lot was made of his recent comments about having to switch to the new driver next year, but all of that has been blown way out of proportion. Since signing and endorsement deal with TaylorMade, he's played the M2 in 2017 and the M3 in 2018. That's it. He hasn't been required to constantly change drivers because the drivers have not constantly changed.



    Now, he has tested and put into play many versions of the M3 this season, but that's on him for continuing to tinker with different shafts and settings. He wasn't required to do so by TaylorMade. If it's true that he found a driver he liked in the last event of the year, then he shouldn't have much issue adapting that to the new one in 2019.
    TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Pro White 60 S, 44.75"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Pro White 70 S, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade P-770 3-4, DG X100 (SSx1)
    TaylorMade P-750 5-PW, DG X100 (SSx1)
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 60 (58), DG S400
    TaylorMade DJ Itsy Bitsy Proto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

    jll62's WITB
  • marmadukmarmaduk Posts: 155 ✭✭
    jll62 wrote:




    I know a lot was made of his recent comments about having to switch to the new driver next year, but all of that has been blown way out of proportion. Since signing and endorsement deal with TaylorMade, he's played the M2 in 2017 and the M3 in 2018. That's it. He hasn't been required to constantly change drivers because the drivers have not constantly changed.



    Now, he has tested and put into play many versions of the M3 this season, but that's on him for continuing to tinker with different shafts and settings. He wasn't required to do so by TaylorMade. If it's true that he found a driver he liked in the last event of the year, then he shouldn't have much issue adapting that to the new one in 2019.




    lol you just completely disagreed with yourself there.
    WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
    http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/

    Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.
  • jll62jll62 ClubWRX Posts: 1,992 ClubWRX
    marmaduk wrote:

    jll62 wrote:


    I know a lot was made of his recent comments about having to switch to the new driver next year, but all of that has been blown way out of proportion. Since signing and endorsement deal with TaylorMade, he's played the M2 in 2017 and the M3 in 2018. That's it. He hasn't been required to constantly change drivers because the drivers have not constantly changed.



    Now, he has tested and put into play many versions of the M3 this season, but that's on him for continuing to tinker with different shafts and settings. He wasn't required to do so by TaylorMade. If it's true that he found a driver he liked in the last event of the year, then he shouldn't have much issue adapting that to the new one in 2019.




    lol you just completely disagreed with yourself there.




    No, I didn't. In your reply, you conveniently left out the post to which I was replying. It said, "Rory struggles with the constant change in Drivers.He has to play the most up to date version"



    What I was pointing out is that playing the "most up-to-date version" has nothing to do with Rory's struggles, as there have only been two models for him in the two seasons he's been with TaylorMade. In my opinion, that post was clearly referencing the comments Rory made a few weeks ago when he made a shaft change and a few other tweaks to his driver setup during his last event of the season:


    "Unfortunately it’s a driver that’s only going to last a week because I have to get a new one next year again, but at least it gives me a better chance to win this week, I guess."




    As I stated in my reply, he's been trying different shafts and settings in his M3 all season in trying to eliminate a right miss, but that's a far different thing that having to continually change to a new driver version, as the original post stated.
    TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Pro White 60 S, 44.75"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Pro White 70 S, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade P-770 3-4, DG X100 (SSx1)
    TaylorMade P-750 5-PW, DG X100 (SSx1)
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 60 (58), DG S400
    TaylorMade DJ Itsy Bitsy Proto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

    jll62's WITB
  • delmerdelmer ClubWRX Posts: 439 ClubWRX
    jll62 wrote:

    Thayneil wrote:


    Rory struggles with the constant change in Drivers.He has to play the most up to date version




    I know a lot was made of his recent comments about having to switch to the new driver next year, but all of that has been blown way out of proportion. Since signing and endorsement deal with TaylorMade, he's played the M2 in 2017 and the M3 in 2018. That's it. He hasn't been required to constantly change drivers because the drivers have not constantly changed.



    Now, he has tested and put into play many versions of the M3 this season, but that's on him for continuing to tinker with different shafts and settings. He wasn't required to do so by TaylorMade. If it's true that he found a driver he liked in the last event of the year, then he shouldn't have much issue adapting that to the new one in 2019.




    I don't think Rory's problem is changing drivers I think it's drive and motivation. I hope the change works out for Rose but if I were giving him advice I would've told him to stick with Taylormade. You might leave some endorsement money on the table but at the end of the day you're better off dancing with the company who brought you.
  • ronboronbo Posts: 465 ✭✭
    jll62 wrote:

    QuigleyDU wrote:

    J13 wrote:

    jll62 wrote:



    Honma is a business decision. I know a couple players with Honma in Asia and they get prize money matched as bonus of any win. I would ASSUME Rose has the same deal and is gambling on himself where he has higher potential earnings based off his play.




    They're all business decisions, right? I assume TM is unwilling/unable to pay the endorsement fee that Rose will now command as a #1/#2 player in the world; not that unlike Sergio becoming a major champion and changing endorsement categories.




    TM is focused on Tiger, Rory, DJ, and Rahm. I personally think Rory will leave after his current contract is over but that's purely my opinion




    it will not make any difference in the long run, lots of rumors out there that Honma is in talks to buy TM. the investment group that bought TM a few years ago is looking to flip it for a profit and get out.




    The TMaG divestiture is only a year old (Oct 2017). I have no doubt that the group that purchased TM will be looking to make a profit soon, but a year seems a little early to get out. Hard to enact any real cost savings in that short amount of time without slashing and burning, which hasn't happened.



    In any case, I really hope the Honma rumors aren't true. I don't want Mark King anywhere near TaylorMade again. Perhaps some of their product cycle decisions were mandated by the adidas Group's growth targets, but it all happened under his watch. Don't want to see those days again.
    TM sales is a done deal, That's why they pulled out of the PGA to take 2 Million off the books. Honma wants to be the Biggest Golf Brand Globally. Mark King didn't come over to consult, he want's back in... Could be wrong, but that's my take..
  • BewareTheGlowballBewareTheGlowball Members Posts: 589 ✭✭

    Lancj1 wrote:


    Blades is blades. He's not as pretentious as Tiger or Rory. Bet you don't even notice a thing aside from the logo on his bag




    That is akin to saying 'shafts are shafts'.




    As long as he has the same shafts,and lie angle... the quality will be higher than american counterparts so I highly doubt irons will make a difference at all aside from a potentially positive one, wedges as well. Going from a tolerance level of +/- 7-8 grams to one of +/- 1(to be fair honma may be +/- 2-3 not sure what they are currently after company changes) gram can only help a player.
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,199 ✭✭


    Lancj1 wrote:


    Blades is blades. He's not as pretentious as Tiger or Rory. Bet you don't even notice a thing aside from the logo on his bag




    That is akin to saying 'shafts are shafts'.




    As long as he has the same shafts,and lie angle... the quality will be higher than american counterparts so I highly doubt irons will make a difference at all aside from a potentially positive one, wedges as well. Going from a tolerance level of +/- 7-8 grams to one of +/- 1(to be fair honma may be +/- 2-3 not sure what they are currently after company changes) gram can only help a player.


    Pros don't buy off the rack so from a tolerance perspective there should be no difference since everything they play is handpicked, including iron heads for weight. I think an iron change is one of the easiest transitions for a pro to make so he can continue to use his TM woods as long as he wants or as long as it takes to transition comfortably into Homna if that is his intention.
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution 10.5* - Proforce V2 HL - S
    TM M1 Tour Issue 14* - Maltby ProSeries Fwy - S
    W/S FG Tour F5 20*/23* - Fubuki  z80 Hybrid - S
    W/S FG62 5-P - DGS300
    W/S PMP Raw 52/56/60 - KBS  Hi-Rev 2.0
    Scotty Newport Mil-Spec Pro Platinum
  • jll62jll62 ClubWRX Posts: 1,992 ClubWRX
    ronbo wrote:

    jll62 wrote:

    QuigleyDU wrote:


    it will not make any difference in the long run, lots of rumors out there that Honma is in talks to buy TM. the investment group that bought TM a few years ago is looking to flip it for a profit and get out.




    The TMaG divestiture is only a year old (Oct 2017). I have no doubt that the group that purchased TM will be looking to make a profit soon, but a year seems a little early to get out. Hard to enact any real cost savings in that short amount of time without slashing and burning, which hasn't happened.



    In any case, I really hope the Honma rumors aren't true. I don't want Mark King anywhere near TaylorMade again. Perhaps some of their product cycle decisions were mandated by the adidas Group's growth targets, but it all happened under his watch. Don't want to see those days again.




    TM sales is a done deal, That's why they pulled out of the PGA to take 2 Million off the books. Honma wants to be the Biggest Golf Brand Globally. Mark King didn't come over to consult, he want's back in... Could be wrong, but that's my take..




    You may very well be right. However, a couple of weeks ago I had a conversation about the PGA Show with a person from TaylorMade who was involved in the decision not to attend. If the decision was all M&A related, he obviously wouldn't have shared that info with me, but I have no reason to doubt what I was told.



    Honma had every chance to buy TM from adidas two years ago for a decent price and they didn't. Did Mark King get hired in August and all of the sudden the strategy changed? And I still think it's early for the group that bought TM to flip them. It's only been a year and now is when they're executing on the plans that have been put in place.
    TaylorMade M5 9.0, Tensei Pro White 60 S, 44.75"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Pro White 70 S, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade P-770 3-4, DG X100 (SSx1)
    TaylorMade P-750 5-PW, DG X100 (SSx1)
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52 Raw, DG S400
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 60 (58), DG S400
    TaylorMade DJ Itsy Bitsy Proto, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5x #12

    jll62's WITB
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,166 ✭✭
    Shanks2424 wrote:


    I would play them I love the looks of the tour world drivers, fairway woods, hybrids, irons and wedges
    I have been playing one of their G1-X drivers for a couple of years now--- It hits great for me
    I have had people ask what kind of driver it is? I tell them and they look perplexed. The adjustment system is a lot different from anything else out there and uses a special wrench. None of the standard Torx head wrenches will adjust it properly---- It is hard for me to explain or put my thoughts on here but if you go on their website you can see---- But overall I see it as good marketing for Homna by signing Rose. Most mainstream golfers not WRXers know nothing of the brand
    Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stock Regular shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Diamana Reg
    Irons 3 thru 9 KZG Kyoei Forged CB 1st generation Swing Science 400 Graphite Senior flex
    PW Cleveland Special 588 45* bent to 47* Stock Cleveland Steel Shaft
    SW Cleveland 588 56* DG Sensicore S-300 ( old dependable)
    Putter- 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bulls Eye fluted shaft rusty and lead taped as heck named "Rusty"
    Bag-- Jones Classic non stand
    Founding Father of Outlaw Golf Association member #1---- Play what you want **** the USGA & R&A
    Redneck Hippie Golf When the Tailgate drops the BS Stops
    Vintage
    Toney Penna Model 1 Aldila HM-40
    3&4 woods Macgregor DX Keyhole steel TT R
    Irons 2 thru 9 1954 Hogan Precision TT green or 1980 Macgregor VIP 3 thru PW Hogan Apex #2 shafts " The famous Bastardized Macs"
    PW Hogan White Cameo 50* Hogan Apex Wedge
    SW Macgregor LRA 56* S-400 DJ Special-- Will rotate out when old dependable does not behave
    Putter ( subject to change) Lil David 8802
    Bag Old School Power Bilt orange mini staff
  • delmerdelmer ClubWRX Posts: 439 ClubWRX
    edited Dec 11, 2018 #117
    jll62 wrote:

    ronbo wrote:

    jll62 wrote:

    QuigleyDU wrote:


    it will not make any difference in the long run, lots of rumors out there that Honma is in talks to buy TM. the investment group that bought TM a few years ago is looking to flip it for a profit and get out.




    The TMaG divestiture is only a year old (Oct 2017). I have no doubt that the group that purchased TM will be looking to make a profit soon, but a year seems a little early to get out. Hard to enact any real cost savings in that short amount of time without slashing and burning, which hasn't happened.



    In any case, I really hope the Honma rumors aren't true. I don't want Mark King anywhere near TaylorMade again. Perhaps some of their product cycle decisions were mandated by the adidas Group's growth targets, but it all happened under his watch. Don't want to see those days again.




    TM sales is a done deal, That's why they pulled out of the PGA to take 2 Million off the books. Honma wants to be the Biggest Golf Brand Globally. Mark King didn't come over to consult, he want's back in... Could be wrong, but that's my take..




    You may very well be right. However, a couple of weeks ago I had a conversation about the PGA Show with a person from TaylorMade who was involved in the decision not to attend. If the decision was all M&A related, he obviously wouldn't have shared that info with me, but I have no reason to doubt what I was told.



    Honma had every chance to buy TM from adidas two years ago for a decent price and they didn't. Did Mark King get hired in August and all of the sudden the strategy changed? And I still think it's early for the group that bought TM to flip them. It's only been a year and now is when they're executing on the plans that have been put in place.




    Honma purchasing TM is actually a solid idea for them but funding it could be tough. Honma seems to be pushing really hard into apparel so now that Adidas is out of the picture what better way to get into pro shops than buy Taylormade and all of the accounts that come with it? It's a lot easier and faster than hiring a bunch of reps to go pound the pavement. To be able to offer an ultra premium line of clubs, the full Taylormade catalog and then whatever apparel they want to do in one account would be advantageous to just having Honma clubs and apparel essentially as a startup in the US.



    I thought that Under Armor would've done well to buy TM to get it's accounts but they have done a good job building their account list without buying them although they had the advantage of being a very well known brand in the where a vast majority of the golfing public here has never heard of Honma.
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,199 ✭✭
    delmer wrote:

    jll62 wrote:

    ronbo wrote:

    jll62 wrote:

    QuigleyDU wrote:


    it will not make any difference in the long run, lots of rumors out there that Honma is in talks to buy TM. the investment group that bought TM a few years ago is looking to flip it for a profit and get out.




    The TMaG divestiture is only a year old (Oct 2017). I have no doubt that the group that purchased TM will be looking to make a profit soon, but a year seems a little early to get out. Hard to enact any real cost savings in that short amount of time without slashing and burning, which hasn't happened.



    In any case, I really hope the Honma rumors aren't true. I don't want Mark King anywhere near TaylorMade again. Perhaps some of their product cycle decisions were mandated by the adidas Group's growth targets, but it all happened under his watch. Don't want to see those days again.




    TM sales is a done deal, That's why they pulled out of the PGA to take 2 Million off the books. Honma wants to be the Biggest Golf Brand Globally. Mark King didn't come over to consult, he want's back in... Could be wrong, but that's my take..




    You may very well be right. However, a couple of weeks ago I had a conversation about the PGA Show with a person from TaylorMade who was involved in the decision not to attend. If the decision was all M&A related, he obviously wouldn't have shared that info with me, but I have no reason to doubt what I was told.



    Honma had every chance to buy TM from adidas two years ago for a decent price and they didn't. Did Mark King get hired in August and all of the sudden the strategy changed? And I still think it's early for the group that bought TM to flip them. It's only been a year and now is when they're executing on the plans that have been put in place.




    Honma purchasing TM is actually a solid idea for them but funding it could be tough. Honma seems to be pushing really hard into apparel so now that Adidas is out of the picture what better way to get into pro shops than buy Taylormade and all of the accounts that come with it? It's a lot easier and faster than hiring a bunch of reps to go pound the pavement. To be able to offer an ultra premium line of clubs, the full Taylormade catalog and then whatever apparel they want to do in one account would be advantageous to just having Honma clubs and apparel essentially as a startup in the US.



    I thought that Under Armor would've done well to buy TM to get it's accounts but they have done a good job building their account list without buying them although they had the advantage of being a very well known brand in the where a vast majority of the golfing public here has never heard of Honma.


    I'm not sure UA's financials are strong enough to allow them to do something like that.
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution 10.5* - Proforce V2 HL - S
    TM M1 Tour Issue 14* - Maltby ProSeries Fwy - S
    W/S FG Tour F5 20*/23* - Fubuki  z80 Hybrid - S
    W/S FG62 5-P - DGS300
    W/S PMP Raw 52/56/60 - KBS  Hi-Rev 2.0
    Scotty Newport Mil-Spec Pro Platinum
  • delmerdelmer ClubWRX Posts: 439 ClubWRX
    the bishop wrote:




    I'm not sure UA's financials are strong enough to allow them to do something like that.




    At the time that's what I thought as well. I'm no financier but it seems like a company with revenue in the $5B range could pull off a $425M purchase.
  • CStephenson17CStephenson17 ClubWRX Posts: 624 ClubWRX
    delmer wrote:

    the bishop wrote:




    I'm not sure UA's financials are strong enough to allow them to do something like that.




    At the time that's what I thought as well. I'm no financier but it seems like a company with revenue in the $5B range could pull off a $425M purchase.




    I am glad you aren’t a financier. UA already has interest expense of $35 million a year and posted a net loss last year. Add more interest obligation onto that plus extra expenditures for R&D.
  • jlebeane13jlebeane13 Members Posts: 333 ✭✭
    delmer wrote:

    the bishop wrote:




    I'm not sure UA's financials are strong enough to allow them to do something like that.




    At the time that's what I thought as well. I'm no financier but it seems like a company with revenue in the $5B range could pull off a $425M purchase.


    Yes they can afford it!

    If you look at numbers it wouldn't make sense for UA. They have been losing a ton of cash since 2016. Buying a hard goods business in golf when your already hemorrhaging cash is crazy.

    Combine that with the fact TMAG players have apparel deals with major apparel brands like Nike and Addidas would make it impossible for UA to even consider it.
    Titleist 917 D2 9.5* Oban Kiyoshi HB 04 Flex, Tipped 1 inch
    Titleist 917 F2 15* Mitsubishi Diamana BB 70 S Flex, Tipped 2 inches
    Titleist 818 H1 18.25* Aldila Rouge 80 S Flex,
    Titleist 718 AP2 4 - 9 ProjectX 6.0
    Titleist SM6 46* ProjectX 6.0 SS x 1
    Titleist SM6 50*, 54*, and 58* ProjectX 5.5
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 36 inches
    Titleist Prov1 (2017)
Sign In or Register to comment.