New Ping Sigma2 Fetch- short review.

2Down2Down Members Posts: 142 ✭✭

One birdie and no three putts today.

It is nice and you can pick up the ball.

I love the adjustable grip. You can shorten it up for a lighter feel or

make it longer for less strain on your back when you practice (6’4” me loves a longer putter). I believe it's a feature that will soon to be copied by others.

for the most part i imagine you will set it up and leave it alone ( illegal to change it during a round i think). I imagine a discussion about shortening it an inch for faster greens at some point here.

Did I mention that you can pick up the ball.

I repeat you can pick up the ball.

Saw a few wonders about damaging the cup. Not a worry, in fact if you’ve ever used the ball to fix a cup’s side before you can now nudge a small piece back into place with your putter.

At first tamping down a ball mark repair is odd, the center of the putter is a hole, but you quickly adapt.
Ping G400 Lst 10° Mitsubishi Kuro Kage SIlver Dual Core Ti-Ni
Titliest 915 15° Mitsubishi blue S
Bridgestone 19° Mitsubishi Fubuki S
Adams 9031 23° Mitsubishi diamana S
Mizuno MP5 5-W KBS tour 120 S
Mizuno T6 50°
Mizuno T7 54°
Ping es 58° sw
a Cleveland is in rotation at the moment, tp mills is resting as are the Fetch, 8813, tess, kushin, bullseye, and the ugliest putter I own the Octagon.  

Comments

• MattMoMattMo Members Posts: 2,375 ✭✭
    My OCD wonders how the finish will hold up around the edges of the ball fetcher. Its been my experience the finishes are fragile on the newer Ping putters. At least it’s a silver finish. As a 6’4” golfer, I can appreciate a longer putter as well, and I’mconstantly bouncing between 35 and 36” lengths. Thanks for sharing your first impressions.
    Ping G400 Max 10.5* w/ Rogue Black
    Ping G25 4W w/ TFC
    Ping G25 20* Hybrid w/ TFC
    Ping ie1 4-U w/ CFS
    Ping Glide 54* WS
    Ping Glide Stealth 58* ES
    Ping BeNi Scottsdale Anser
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,240 ClubWRX
    How did you find the shaft? Too flexible?
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Ping Forged 52°, ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
  • 2Down2Down Members Posts: 142 ✭✭
    A firm waggle and you can see some flex as with most everyone I try. Not noticeable to me in play.

It is a soft feeling thing though. So if you think the shaft is a bit soft the feeling will convince you of it.

A friend still has an old Spaulding tpm with the old pecil shaft. I mention it as that shaft is about the softest I have ever tried and the ping shaft is much firmer.
    Mizuno T6 50°
    Mizuno T7 54°
    Ping es 58° sw
    a Cleveland is in rotation at the moment, tp mills is resting as are the Fetch, 8813, tess, kushin, bullseye, and the ugliest putter I own the Octagon.  
  • sleezytsleezyt Members Posts: 367 ✭✭
    First win for fetch!! Good job lee.
  • 04majorhmgc04majorhmgc Hill AFB, UTMembers Posts: 26 ✭✭
    After seeing it in person, I think it will actually draw a number of players that might not even be attracted to it for its Fetching abilities. Its a really good shape, almost like a mini Taylormade Corza, not to mention custom length is over looked IMO.
    Dunlop Persimmon
    PowerBilt Citation 4 Wood
    Maxfli/Dunlop Australian Blades '78-'81
    Wilson R-90
    SC Hollywood
    Titleist Tour Balata 90/100 (whatever I can find)
  • Harry PutterHarry Putter Members Posts: 167 ✭✭

After seeing it in person, I think it will actually draw a number of players that might not even be attracted to it for its Fetching abilities. Its a really good shape, almost like a mini Taylormade Corza, not to mention custom length is over looked IMO.

Completely agree. It's much more attractive in person.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway XR16 Pro Driver[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F8 5 Wood[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra King F7 3 Hybrid[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra Fly-Z+ 4-PW[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3 50, 56, 60[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]PING Sigma G Kushin and/or Cleveland HB #8[/font]
    after further review, I still like it. will admit that I'm relearning a straight stroke after years with toe drop putters

Discovered I am a creature of habit. still reach down to get the ball after a short putt, longer putts I remember to use the fetch, I will get it eventually. I have been asked about it a lot on the practice green when people see me both make putts and pick them out of the hole.

for another OCD guy, after several trips into the hole I see no abrasions on the putter.

I have used it to tamp a hole's side back into shape, works nice for that, the Fetch helps you leave the course in better shape than you found it.

Now it's a winner on tour, seems fast for a retail release to a win.
    Mizuno T6 50°
    Mizuno T7 54°
    Ping es 58° sw
  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,123 ✭✭
    I am interested in it for sure. Thanks for the review. I currently have a TM Spider Tour Red that I really like and SC Studio Style GSS Newport 2. I love the adjustable length and feel has me intrigued. I need to mess around with it more. Wish I could out outside with it.

Also really like the black anser. If fetch came in black finish I'd be all over it
    PING G410 9* PX Evenflow Black 75 6.0
    PING G410 LST 3w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 5w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 4-PW AWT 2 0 stiff
    PING Stealth Glide 2.0 50ss/54ss/58ss
    PING Sigam G Tyne
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan Members Posts: 6,800
    2Down wrote:

after further review, I still like it. will admit that I'm relearning a straight stroke after years with toe drop putters

Now it's a winner on tour, seems fast for a retail release to a win.

You stand to the side of the ball. Except for short putts, you will not have a straight stroke unless you manipulate the stroke. You can move closer to the ball for less arc or rock the shoulders and keep the hands and arms passive. You can bend over more for less arc. But your stroke is your stroke. I once used face balanced putter, and it was still an arc.
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8
  • johnnythundersjohnnythunders ClubWRX Posts: 1,697 ✭✭
    Everyone I’ve tried sit open when you sole them, the fetch part is cool, shape is interesting. I think the adjustment is a gimmick and feels a little wiggly, prefer a solid steel shaft.
    2019bag<br />Callaway Fusion 10.5 Fuji evo 3 661 stiff or Mizuno ST 190 with tour spec black 6 stiff <br />Ping g400 5/7 fw<br />hybrids Rogue x 5,6,7<br>Cobra f-max Smackwrap one length 6-gw,Speedback one length sand wedg<br />Taylormade Copper Mullen 2 <br />Ball Prov1 x or Bridgestone b x
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,240 ClubWRX

Everyone I’ve tried sit open when you sole them, the fetch part is cool, shape is interesting. I think the adjustment is a gimmick and feels a little wiggly, prefer a solid steel shaft.

Never felt they sit open (on real grass), but I agree with you that the shaft is weak.
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Ping Forged 52°, ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Vokey SM2 52º cc
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    So, broke par yesterday and the putter was the bigggest reason, I think this putter will be in the bag for a long time.

I can add another thing to the list of things it does.

Adjustable length. Love it

Fetch the ball, love it

Repair the side of the hole. Love it

And you can use it to put a nice line on the ball. You’ll leave a line on the sole also but so what. Stick the bill into the hole with the logo as wanted and trace along the sole and ball.

It seems Ping worked with a Swiss Army knife designer on this.

Mizuno T6 50°
    Mizuno T7 54°
    Ping es 58° sw
  • SwingManSwingMan SwingMan Members Posts: 6,800
    How is that finish holding up? I rolled it for several minutes - finish on backside, I initially thought, might be suspect. Thought the feel off the face was good. Milling has some tech in it. Would prefer the toe hang model, which they did not have in stock.
    "My swing is so bad, I look like a caveman killing his lunch" - Lee Trevino

Bag: Ping G400 Max/TPT Golf Series 17 ● Exotics EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd ● PXG 0317 4H/Tensei CK Pro Red 70 ● Mizuno 919F 5-GW/Accra i80 ● Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56ES, 60SS ●Evnroll ER8
    SwingMan wrote:

How is that finish holding up? I rolled it for several minutes - finish on backside, I initially thought, might be suspect. Thought the feel off the face was good. Milling has some tech in it. Would prefer the toe hang model, which they did not have in stock.

Well it’s only a month but about ten or so rounds. In that time I see no wear, even put my glasses on to look as closely as they allow.

I’m completely satisfied with it. I was more concerned with the face being soft but whatever material that is is holding up well, looks same as new to my eyes. An older Taylor made I tried used to get sand stuck in the grooves. I hated that and loooked carefully to see if happened with this face, so far no problem.

Hope you find the one. It will putt great but it won’t do all the other nice things the fetch does though.
    Mizuno T6 50°
    Mizuno T7 54°
    Ping es 58° sw
  • reider69reider69 Members Posts: 615 ✭✭
    I had opportunity to play around with the fetch yesterday. I was very impressed with feel, look and utilitarian design. I use a 340 gram SS forged anser style putter so I had to get used to how fast the ball pops off the face. After 5 minutes I was sinking putts and enjoying the tingy sound as well. No issues at all for me except.......I picked up the Tyne and everything went into the hole. Crazy easy to align amd putt with!
    Mizuno ST190 - Kuro Kage Silver Tini 70X
    Cobra BioCell+ - Matrix Ozik Red Tie 6Q3 X
    Cobra BioCell 3-4 Hybrid - Aldila Rogue Black 85 X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-G, KBS C Taper Lite X
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 - 54 and 58 - Modus 105X
    Callaway Xforged - 64 degrees
    Lajosi DD201 Proto