Strong lofts in the Srixon Z785/765 long irons compared to other player cavity backs.

chrispchrisp Members Posts: 197 ✭✭
Currently playing MP59 irons in their standard published lofts.

While looking into the Z785's I noticed that the 5 iron has 25 degrees of loft which is practically a 4 iron.

(This would allow for a 3rd wedge)

Has anyone who plays the Z765/785 irons noticed an increase in distance compared to what they previously played?

Comments

• Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 4,010 ClubWRX
    I have the 745s and they are about a club longer than my more traditionally lofted 716 cbs. Cool thing is, the long irons can still get up in the air. I still only play a two wedge (not including PW) set up, though, but I can see why some would want to throw a third wedge in there. Fantastic irons. I have hit the 785s and they feel a tad softer than the 745s to me.
    Taylormade M2 2017 9.5* HZRDUS yellow 76 6.0 
    Cobra F9 14.5* Atmos blue 7s
    Titleist 816 H1 19*  Fujikura Motore 8.8 TS
    Bridgestone J15 CB Nippon Modus 120s  4-P
    Titleist SM5 50/56
    Odyssey PT2
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • chrispchrisp Members Posts: 197 ✭✭
    Nixhex524 wrote:

I have the 745s and they are about a club longer than my more traditionally lofted 716 cbs. Cool thing is, the long irons can still get up in the air. I still only play a two wedge (not including PW) set up, though, but I can see why some would want to throw a third wedge in there. Fantastic irons. I have hit the 785s and they feel a tad softer than the 745s to me.

Thanks for the response.

I ask because my current set up is the following:

Driver

3W

20 & 23 degree Apex Hybrids

4-PW MP59

52 & 58 Vokey

Putter

When I took up the game, my PW was 49-50 degrees.

Been using a 46 degree PW for years now.

The idea of 25 degree 5 iron would allow for 50 degree wedge as well as two more.
  • Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 4,010 ClubWRX
    chrisp wrote:

Nixhex524 wrote:

Thanks for the response.

Driver

3W

4-PW MP59

52 & 58 Vokey

Putter

The idea of 25 degree 5 iron would allow for 50 degree wedge as well as two more.

Yeah, I was originally playing a 52/58 wedge combo but recently went to a 50/56 as there was a little but larger gap between PW and 52 than I liked. So far I am happy with the change and I do appreciate the stronger lofts of the Srixons, great irons.
    Taylormade M2 2017 9.5* HZRDUS yellow 76 6.0 
    Cobra F9 14.5* Atmos blue 7s
    Titleist 816 H1 19*  Fujikura Motore 8.8 TS
    Bridgestone J15 CB Nippon Modus 120s  4-P
    Titleist SM5 50/56
    Odyssey PT2
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • GuiaGuia Members Posts: 8,693 ✭✭
    edited Nov 9, 2018 #5
    25 degree 5 iron is fairly average now. Not only a stronger loft but many makers have made them longer.

I just purchased a set of Bridgestone Irons and the 7 iron is 26 degrees.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,110 ✭✭
    Guia wrote:

I just purchased a set of Bridgestone Irons and the 7 iron is 23 degrees.
    What Bridgestone irons are those? That's insane even by the modern loft creep.
  • GuiaGuia Members Posts: 8,693 ✭✭
    edited Nov 9, 2018 #7
    BRIDGESTONE TOUR B JGR HF1

Opps, I misspoke, the 7 iron is 26 degrees.
  • robleighlefty89robleighlefty89 Members Posts: 121 ✭✭
    chrisp wrote:

Nixhex524 wrote:

Thanks for the response.

Driver

3W

4-PW MP59

52 & 58 Vokey

Putter

I play 765's from 5-PW then 50, 54 & 58 degree wedges. I used to carry a 3 iron but decided to get a 565 4-iron to bridge the gap to my #3 MP Fli-Hi.

If you go for them (and I recommend you do, they are beautiful irons) I imagine you'll drop the 23 degree hybrid and go 20 deg then 4-PW.
    [font=georgia,serif]WITB - 22nd November 2018[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]'Failure is a bruise, not a tattoo' - Jon Sinclair[/font]
  • jmiller2jmiller2 Members Posts: 537 ✭✭
    edited Nov 9, 2018 #9
    For a "players" iron the typical specs for a blade style club have changed over the last 20 years but not that drastically.

~ I recall about 15-20 years ago "standard" 3i to P was 22, 25, 28, 32, 36, 40, 44, 48

~ Then they went 1* stronger 3i to P of 21, 24, 27, 31, 35, 39, 43, 47

~ Then companies changed where the 4* gaping started and 3i to P became 21, 24, 37, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46

>> Modern standard today for players clubs like MP18 / MP18 SC is very commonly 21, 24, 37, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46

Comparing the Srixon z585/785 lofts to the Mizuno MP18 or Titleist MB/CB lofts the Srixon are stronger lofted.

~ The 4i thru 8i are 2* stronger, the 9i is 1* stronger and the PW is standard.

>> The lengths of the clubs are also more traditional standard (39" 3i down to 35.5" PW).

>>> Side note - I have heard some people say that Srixon has issues measuring the correct shaft length, you may want to order the shafts "uncut" w/ "grips in box".

As the poster ahead of me said you will probably be looking at three wedges in addition to the 5-P set of Srixon z585 or z785.

~ GW - 50 | SW - 54 | LW - 58

~ GW - 50 | SW - 55 | LW - 60

~ GW - 51 | SW - 56 | LW - 61
    “He that can have patience can have what he will.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
    “Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course – the distance between your ears.” ~ Bobby Jones
    “A good player who is a great putter is a match for any golfer. A great hitter who cannot putt is a match for no one.” ~ Ben Sayers
  • WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the Corner Members Posts: 4,828 ✭✭
    I’m strongly considering the 765’s up against the 18 SC’s. I play MP33’s which have a 48* pw, and I knew going in to the process of getting new clubs that they would be stronger, but what I found strange were the gaps in the scoring irons. I don’t recall ever seeing a set with 5* gaps.
    Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
    Cobra F7 15.5*
    Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
    Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
    Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
    Taylormade TPx
  • ShilgyShilgy Members Posts: 11,394 ✭✭
    I believe that on the past clubs were gapped solely by loft. With the better testing they can do now with Trackman and such they have learned that the gapping should narrow more at the top and widen at the bottom. The gap from 765 pw to aw is 5°. We all get to hung up on numbers on the club rather than numbers on the course. And that's loft numbers and the scorecard! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • chrispchrisp Members Posts: 197 ✭✭
    Shilgy wrote:

I believe that on the past clubs were gapped solely by loft. With the better testing they can do now with Trackman and such they have learned that the gapping should narrow more at the top and widen at the bottom. The gap from 765 pw to aw is 5°. We all get to hung up on numbers on the club rather than numbers on the course. And that's loft numbers and the scorecard! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I really want to believe the comment regarding testing with Trackman when determining iron lofts prior to product launch.

Unfortunately I have met many low handicap & scratch golfers who have told me they have had to add a 50degree wedge or weaken the lofts in their irons to try to close the gap between PW and SW.
  • ShilgyShilgy Members Posts: 11,394 ✭✭
    chrisp wrote:

Shilgy wrote:

I really want to believe the comment regarding testing with Trackman when determining iron lofts prior to product launch.

Unfortunately I have met many low handicap & scratch golfers who have told me they have had to add a 50degree wedge or weaken the lofts in their irons to try to close the gap between PW and SW.
    That's two different things. Yes the loft in irons is stronger than it used to be requiring the need, or want, for a gap wedge. That is different from what I was replying to which was the idea that the narrower gaps on the longer irons was not desirable.
    WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • lordemsworthlordemsworth Members Posts: 1,284 ✭✭
    edited Nov 11, 2018 #14
    From my experience having hit the XForged 5 iron (26 degree 5) vs the z785 (25 degrees) and JPX 919 Tours (26 degrees) - birth he Callaway and Mizuno hit that launch window better and more consistently than the Z785. I loved how they looked in the bag, but that’s as one of the reasons I moved them - a 25 degree 5 iron is closer to a 4 iron (24 degrees) than a 5 iron @ 27.

It just required me to think about bag make-up more than I wanted. And consistency is as better with the more familiar loft of a 5 (27) that I’ve played a long time.
  • shaolingolfershaolingolfer Members Posts: 113 ✭✭
    chrisp wrote:

Shilgy wrote:

Most golfers have to add a gap wedge between PW and SW for last 10-15 years. That's not many new irons have a 48 or 50 degree PW, right?
    Titleist 10.5 TS2, Tensei Blue AV Stiff
    Callaway Xhot 3W
    Callaway Apex 2 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie Stiff
    Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie Stiff
    Srixon Z765 5-P Modus 120 Stiff
    50, 54, 60 Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 AWT
    Taylor Made Spyder Blade
  • tgoodspe1991tgoodspe1991 New EnglandMembers Posts: 729 ✭✭

From my experience having hit the XForged 5 iron (26 degree 5) vs the z785 (25 degrees) and JPX 919 Tours (26 degrees) - birth he Callaway and Mizuno hit that launch window better and more consistently than the Z785. I loved how they looked in the bag, but that's as one of the reasons I moved them - a 25 degree 5 iron is closer to a 4 iron (24 degrees) than a 5 iron @ 27.

It just required me to think about bag make-up more than I wanted. And consistency is as better with the more familiar loft of a 5 (27) that I've played a long time.

Why didn't you just weaken the Z785 lofts?
    “Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
    time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
    - Arnold Palmer
  • lordemsworthlordemsworth Members Posts: 1,284 ✭✭
    edited Feb 14, 2019 12:29pm #17
    Mostly because of bounce and offset changes. There was nothing in the z785 that warranted dialing them in that I didn’t get from the XForged or 919 Tour. The Mizuno felt better, and the Callaway had a higher ball flight.

And this is all caveated with the words, ‘for my swing’.
  • GooseHookGooseHook Keep it Fraiche Members Posts: 11,670 ✭✭
    Z785 5-p, then 50, 54, and 58. My 3 Fli Hi is 21 degrees and the gaps are pretty much all covered.

I don't mind the changes in standard lofts, the only thing that's changed for me since the MP days is that I now have no need for a 4 iron. The loft between the 3 and 5 is such that I can cover those in between yardages, depending on how well I'm hitting it and the weather.

There's a constant 14th spot in the bag that mostly remains empty. It hasn't hurt my game.
    M4 9.5°, Green Mamba 70TX
    Mizuno ST-180 16°, Atmos Blue 8x
    Mizuno CLK  19°, Recoil Hybrid 95
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

Srixon Z785 5-PW
    Mizuno S18  50.07, 54.08 & 58.08
    Nippon Modus 125x
    EVNROLL ER3
    Z-Star XV
    Lead Tape

• manima1manima1 Members Posts: 708 ✭✭
    GooseHook wrote:

Z785 5-p, then 50, 54, and 58. My 3 Fli Hi is 21 degrees and the gaps are pretty much all covered.

I don't mind the changes in standard lofts, the only thing that's changed for me since the MP days is that I now have no need for a 4 iron. The loft between the 3 and 5 is such that I can cover those in between yardages, depending on how well I'm hitting it and the weather.

There's a constant 14th spot in the bag that mostly remains empty. It hasn't hurt my game.

I do the same, but with the 2 to 4 spot rather than the 3 to 5. I've found the U45 to be so versatile and easy to launch- it can cover 25 yards of gap alone depending on whether I choke up.
    M5 9.0 - Kuro Kage Dual Core 80tx tipped 1"
    '16 M2HL 16.8 tour issued deep faced - Fujikura 8.3 TS
    zU45 18 degree - S400
    z745 4-9 - S400
    SM6 46.08F - S400 Chrome
    SM6 50.08F - S400 Steel Gray
    SM7 54.10S - S400 Raw
    SM5 60.08M - Wedge Flex Raw Black
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser V-line