What to do if you lose an iron? Mix a bag?

stephenclownstephenclown Members Posts: 7 ✭✭
So I lost my 5 iron... had a break so didn't even realise until I went to go to the range last night to practice and it was missing... Currently game all nikes due to killer deals on left handed clubs. I just mainly play for fun and learning and love the feedback of blades.

I have looked for a left 5 VR Pro Blade and next to impossible to find from what I can see. Because I am still learning and playing for fun, should I worry about missing the 5 iron? It leaves me with 13 clubs or 14 if I can find a good deal on a 56 wedge.

My other option would be to grab 3-5 in a more forgiving iron for when Im out on the course and not at the range.
In the bag:
Nike Vapor Flex Driver - Tensei CK Blue
Nike Vapor Flex 3W - Fujikura Motore Speeder
Nike Vapor Flex 3H
Nike VR Pro Blades 3-PW - Nippon Modus 130
Nike VR Wedges 52 & 60 - Nippon Modus 130
Ping Craz-E Putter

Comments

• roundersmittyroundersmitty Members Posts: 1,108 ✭✭
    I would try to find a replacement on ebay. if I couldnt plan B- Since you have a 3 hybrid, 3 and 4 irons I would bend weak to fill gap as best i could
    2017 M1 10.5* Kuro Kage 60s
    Exotics 16.5* Exotics Fuji 72s
    Adams XTD ti 20* Red Tie S
    TM P770 4-P Steelfiber i95s
    TM MG 50*,56*,60* Steelfiber i95s
    Odyssey EXO Seven S
  • stephenclownstephenclown Members Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Thanks, I might just keep an eye out for a 5 iron that comes up on the bay and keep practicing. I probably wont notice much of a difference and should still be good to focus on the 3 and 4 iron in lieu of the 5 at this stage. The lofts are already weak by todays standards so I will just keep them as is. I did have a spare 6 iron but I think it would destroy the finish trying to get it close to the gap, also shift the bounce down to the 3 iron level instead.
    In the bag:
    Nike Vapor Flex Driver - Tensei CK Blue
    Nike Vapor Flex 3W - Fujikura Motore Speeder
    Nike Vapor Flex 3H
    Nike VR Pro Blades 3-PW - Nippon Modus 130
    Nike VR Wedges 52 & 60 - Nippon Modus 130
    Ping Craz-E Putter

• greenwavegolfergreenwavegolfer Members Posts: 132 ✭✭
    I would check eBay or ironfinder.com to see if you can find one (even if the shaft is different you could swap that out if you really need to) but being a lefty probably makes this harder. If you're just playing for fun or learning maybe go to a local golf store and check their used single club bin for a couple 5 irons. Hit them on the launch monitors and figure out what fits your gapping between 4 and 6 best and go with that at least for a temporary fix until you either upgrade the set or find something more permanent.
    WITB:

Ping G400 LST 10º (Playing 9º) Accra TZ5 65 M4
    Titleist T-MB 2i (17º) Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X
    Srixon Z-785 3i/4i Nippon Modus Tour 120X
    Srixon Z-Forged 5i-PW Nippon Modus Tour 120X
    Titleist SM5 50º SM6 54º, 58º Dynamic Gold S200
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
  • ohioglfrohioglfr Municipal Junkie Members Posts: 727 ✭✭
    You might check the course where you last played. Call them and see if a Good Samaritan turned it in to the club house.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S)
    Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R)
    Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R)
    Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R)
    Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R)
    Ping Darby Sigma G

• GuiaGuia Members Posts: 8,693 ✭✭
    If not turned in, contact the manufacturer for a replacement of the model. Third choice there are several companies that specialize in replacing individual clubs, search "Lost Clubs" you could get lucky at a good price.
  • moodogg98moodogg98 Members Posts: 83 ✭✭

So I lost my 5 iron... had a break so didn't even realise until I went to go to the range last night to practice and it was missing... Currently game all nikes due to killer deals on left handed clubs. I just mainly play for fun and learning and love the feedback of blades.

I have looked for a left 5 VR Pro Blade and next to impossible to find from what I can see. Because I am still learning and playing for fun, should I worry about missing the 5 iron? It leaves me with 13 clubs or 14 if I can find a good deal on a 56 wedge.

My other option would be to grab 3-5 in a more forgiving iron for when Im out on the course and not at the range.

It’s easy enough to leave a wedge greenside, but how did you misplace a 5 iron?
  • roundersmittyroundersmitty Members Posts: 1,108 ✭✭
    moodogg98 wrote:

It’s easy enough to leave a wedge greenside, but how did you misplace a 5 iron?

If it's spring, cart path only. Ball is across fairway 200 out and you take a 5i and 6i with you. You decide to hit 6, focus, stick it to 6feet, excited and go back to cart forgetting 5i. That's all I could come up with image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

2017 M1 10.5* Kuro Kage 60s
    Exotics 16.5* Exotics Fuji 72s
    Adams XTD ti 20* Red Tie S
    TM P770 4-P Steelfiber i95s
    TM MG 50*,56*,60* Steelfiber i95s
    Odyssey EXO Seven S
  • robleighlefty89robleighlefty89 Members Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Your idea to replace 3-5 with a more forgiving iron is a good one; though not many play a 3 iron anymore anyway.

If you're just learning the game the 15-20 yard gap from 4 to 6 iron isn't too much of a miss, you'll likely only have it once or twice a round anyway (and you can then hit a soft 4 or firm 6 depending on whether it's best to miss the green long or short).

What's guaranteed is as soon as you find a solution the 5 iron will either turn up or you'll find one on ebay!
    [font=georgia,serif]WITB - 22nd November 2018[/font]

[font=georgia,serif]'Failure is a bruise, not a tattoo' - Jon Sinclair[/font]
  • DaveGoodrichDaveGoodrich Members Posts: 991 ✭✭
    You can tweak your lofts to make that missing club unnecessary, and give yourself options at the top and/or bottom of your bag: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1629172-taking-a-club-out-of-the-middle-of-the-bag/page__fromsearch__1
    Titleist 917D3 w/YS-6+
    Taylormade V-steel 15* w/YS-6+ FW
    Titleist 909h 17* and 21* w/YS-hybrid
    Adams dHy 24* w/Aldila RIP Tour 115
    Adams XTD Forged 6 (28*) - PW (48*) w/Aldila RIP Tour 115 (bent to 5* loft gaps)
    Vokey SM4 TVD 50M w/Aldila RIP Tour 115
    Vokey SM6 56S w/Aldila RIP Tour 115
    Vokey SM6 60M w/Aldila RIP Tour 115
    Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #5