What material is the Scotty Pro Platinum Mid Sur?

MaitriMikeMaitriMike Members Posts: 1,582 ✭✭
So i ended up buying a Pro Platinum Mid Sur on Ebay recently. Got it and cut down the putter to 33 inches. Haven't gripped it yet but can't wait. love heavy putters. What's odd is, I put on a magnetic putter cover and the cover stuck to the head. I thought that only happens with Carbon Steel? Isn't the Pro Platinum Mid Sur stainless steel?

Comments

• justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members Posts: 2,603 ✭✭
    Carbon steel with plating(Platinum finish)
  • dbdorsdbdors Houston, Clear Lake areaClubWRX Posts: 1,757 ClubWRX
    And just for the record, from Wikipedia, "Ferritic and martensitic stainless steels are magnetic."

Woods: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 8*, Fujikura Ventus 6, stiff: TM M5, 13*, Diamana Thump 75, stiff
    Hybrids: TEE CBX 3H (20d), 4H (22d), Kuro Kage Silver Hybrid 80, stiff
    Irons: TM M6, 5-GW, Accra 80i, stiff
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 54* (bent to 55*), 60*, Accra 80i, stiff
    Putter: Evnroll ER1.2 355g, 33", SS Counter Core Mid Slim 2.0
    Ball: Wilson Duo Professional in green & yellow
    Bag/Cart: '18 Ping Hoofer/Clicgear 3.5+
    Accessories: Garmin G8/Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized
  • MaitriMikeMaitriMike Members Posts: 1,582 ✭✭
    justasgood wrote:

Carbon steel with plating(Platinum finish)

Ahh sounds like a perfect combo.. makes sense too. That's for all pro platinum models? or just this one? Mil Spec's too?
    dbdors wrote:

And just for the record, from Wikipedia, "Ferritic and martensitic stainless steels are magnetic."

Is that used on putters though? always thought to test putters if they were carbon or not was the magnet trick. Who knew. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members Posts: 2,603 ✭✭
    All pro Platinum models are played carbon steel.
  • TheBIIgCatTheBIIgCat ClubWRX Posts: 1,446 ClubWRX
    edited Nov 9, 2018 #6
    All the pro platinum/mil-specs are plated carbon... There is nickel under the pro platinum
    Driver- TC Epic 440 with Hzrdus T1100<br />3-Wood- 13 Degree Ping stretch with Ping Tour 75x<br />Hybrid- 915 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85<br />Irons- ( 4-PW ) JPX 900 Forged with 110s Steelfibers - Wedges- Sm6 Vokey 48 bent 2 degrees strong - sm6 vokey raw 56 bent to 55 , 58 Raw Low Bounce K grind ( 110 Steelfibers in all wedges same length shafts )<br />Putter- Scotty Cameron Laguna 1.5 Studio Torch Finish that I did...
    Thanks for the answers guys.
  • ingster1ingster1 Members Posts: 189 ✭✭
    The Mid Sur is a great putter head. Kind of regret selling mine.
  • BYKBYK Members Posts: 1,649 ✭✭
    There are two versions of the mid sur, the studio stainless version (SSS) and your version the pro plat (carbon like everyone else said)

I had one that I cut down too, but man that headweight was too much for me. How are you liking it?
    Yadi for President
  • PutterProPutterPro ClubWRX Posts: 78 ClubWRX
    I’ve got a studio style mid (375 gram head weight) cut down to 33” and it’s still heavy for me. I love the look of these wider flanges (PP mid sur and studio style mid) but just too heavy. If anyone is looking for something in this head weight range, it’s for sale!
  • SetTheBarrHighSetTheBarrHigh DallasClubWRX Posts: 3,920 ClubWRX
    If the 33" doesn't work out, I cut my old belly putters from high school down to 37" and put dual balance grips on them. I really like it so far, kind of gives me the sensation of a mid-length putter that I was successful with and the heavier head really smooths me out.

[background=transparent]V5zsTIu.jpg[/background]
    Instagram @SetTheBarrHigh

What's In The Bag

Ping G410 Plus 9°
    Titleist TS2 16.5°
    Mizuno CLK 19°
    Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4-P
    Mizuno T7 52°, Titleist SM7 58°
    Titleist Studio Stainless Mid Sur
  • T-MACT-MAC Members Posts: 1,958 ✭✭
    They make GREAT counter balance putters.

I have a Studio Style MID belly putter that I cut down and made a counter balance putter out of it. It really puts a good roll on the ball. I still game it from time to time.
    I haven't used it on the course yet but I am used to heavy putters in general 365-370. Feels real great on my practice green at home. I'm waiting in the mail for a Pro Plat Mil Spec at 350 grams. Just wanted to compare the two. I correlate fast greens with a 350 gram putter, and slow ones with a heavy one. I enjoy them all though.