Propeller Beanie Hat - Legal?

Can my playing partner wear this, so I can get the general wind speed and direction?

propeller-beanie-hat.jpg

Comments

• JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,222 ✭✭
    You must be very bored. ; )
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • AzSuperHack76AzSuperHack76 ClubWRX Posts: 1,464 ClubWRX
  • justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker. Members Posts: 2,601 ✭✭
    Smoking a cigar is easier to detect wind direction with. That just spins regardless of direction.
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,703 ✭✭
    I would say that if someone wears that hat to the course, he has bigger problems than finding the direction of the wind.
  • cros0xcros0x Members Posts: 78
    All good points, and I thank you for them, but I’m still non the wiser as to whether my partner can wear the hat.

Advice much appreciated.
  • NewbyNewby Members Posts: 6,494 ✭✭
    cros0x wrote:

Can my playing partner wear this, so I can get the general wind speed and direction?

And just how would you do that? Has it got gauges and a compass fitted?
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 3,983 ✭✭
    Newby wrote:

cros0x wrote:

USGA banned the compass.

Geodetic_compass_no.png
  • SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE OhioMembers Posts: 2,193 ✭✭
    I thought it was the other kind of compass, the one you saw in movies for nautical navigation charts?
    2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • marmooskapaulmarmooskapaul Members Posts: 1,342 ✭✭
    Yes....he can wear it...I say so.
  • Golfer4LifeGolfer4Life “Don’t bother me with your pettiness” Lake Placid, N.Y. Whiteface G.C.ClubWRX Posts: 2,323 ✭✭
    edited Nov 9, 2018 #11
    Really? May I suggest get out and have a nice dinner, lol...
    PING 400 Max and a Bag full of PXG’s.......
    Non Titleist Cameron Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009
    “Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”
  • slocagolferslocagolfer Members Posts: 482 ✭✭
    Only illegal if he straps it to his chin so that when the wind lifts him from the ground you can see which way he's taken. No strap, OK.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,669 ClubWRX
    Winter must be taking hold, the board should start to get very entertaining.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • Swisstrader98Swisstrader98 Members Posts: 3,519 ✭✭
    Newby wrote:

cros0x wrote:

Something tells me you searched for a rule on this one for hours before posting this😂
    SNIPERBBB wrote:

I thought it was the other kind of compass, the one you saw in movies for nautical navigation charts?

Yes, but I couldn't find an image for that kind of compass. Here is one of Bryson breaking the law:

10904418.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
    edited Nov 10, 2018 #16
    LeoLeo99 wrote:

Newby wrote:

cros0x wrote:

USGA banned the compass.

14-3/4 Use of Compass During Round

Q.A player uses a compass during a stipulated round to help determine the direction of the wind or the direction of the grain in the greens. Is the player in breach of Rule 14-3?

A.No. A compass only provides directional information and does not gauge or measure variable conditions or assist the player in his play.
    Newby wrote:

LeoLeo99 wrote:

Newby wrote:

cros0x wrote:

USGA banned the compass.

14-3/4 Use of Compass During Round

Q.A player uses a compass during a stipulated round to help determine the direction of the wind or the direction of the grain in the greens. Is the player in breach of Rule 14-3?

A.No. A compass only provides directional information and does not gauge or measure variable conditions or assist the player in his play.

They banned the other kind of compass. See pic above of Bryson violating the rules.
  • rogolfrogolf Members Posts: 3,694 ✭✭
    LeoLeo99 wrote:

SNIPERBBB wrote:

Yes, but I couldn't find an image for that kind of compass. Here is one of Bryson breaking the law:

10904418.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

In my drafting days, those were "dividers". A "compass" typically had a pencil (or ink pen) on one leg and is used for drawing circles.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,688 ClubWRX
    cros0x wrote:

All good points, and I thank you for them, but I’m still non the wiser as to whether my partner can wear the hat.

Advice much appreciated.

If you believe it will give you wind direction you deserve to wear it. I'm thinking something taller and pointy would be more appropriate.
    LeoLeo99 wrote:

They banned the other kind of compass. See pic above of Bryson violating the rules.

See the reply from rogolf. But the instrument you refer to was usually called 'a pair of compasses'
    Newby wrote:

LeoLeo99 wrote:

See the reply from rogolf. But the instrument you refer to was usually called 'a pair of compasses'

We don't call it that over here in the USA.

Golf Digest:

USGA says Bryson DeChambeau's compass is against the rules

USA Today:

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]The compass controversy is over, and the U.S. Golf Association has ruled that Bryson DeChambeau may no longer use his protractor on the course.[/background]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]
    In a Thursday statement to Golfweek, the USGA clarified why DeChambeau’s use of a compass would be deemed a violation going forward[/background]

USA Today calls it both a compass and a protractor but never a pair of compasses. [/background]

What will Bryson do next that the USGA will convene an emergency committee to evaluate? [/background]
    edited Nov 10, 2018 #22
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,830 ✭✭
    In school in the 80s here it was called a compass. Never heard of called anything else.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • rogolfrogolf Members Posts: 3,694 ✭✭
    edited Nov 10, 2018 #24
    Newby wrote:

This is a protractor.

That clearly is a protractor; it is not a compass.

pro·trac·tor

/ˌprōˈtraktər/

noun

noun: protractor; plural noun: protractors; noun: protractor muscle; plural noun: protractor muscles

an instrument for measuring angles, typically in the form of a flat semicircle marked with degrees along the curved edge.
    We know what a protractor is. But thanks. Think USA Today knows now, too.
    LeoLeo99 wrote:

Think USA Today knows now, too.

I didn't know that as I don't read it. With good reason it seems image/not_i.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':not_i:' />
    Newby wrote:

LeoLeo99 wrote:

Think USA Today knows now, too.

I didn't know that as I don't read it. With good reason it seems image/not_i.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':not_i:' />

Best you stick to your Daily Mail.
    I don't read that either. Probably just as much rubbish
  • jlbos83jlbos83 Members Posts: 559 ✭✭
    Leaving the hat out of it... I'm glad to see someone actually show a compass (what Bryson used) and a protractor (which people on TV and the radio kept calling it! I will never "get" why he can't use the compass, since you could do the same thing by putting a mark on the edge of a scorecard and rotating it around. But, it was the USGA...

Yes, pair of compasses is also correct. And I can't tell for sure, it might have been dividers.
    Jeff, an Arizona hacker
  • Golfer4LifeGolfer4Life “Don’t bother me with your pettiness” Lake Placid, N.Y. Whiteface G.C.ClubWRX Posts: 2,323 ✭✭
    edited Nov 12, 2018 #30
    jlbos83 wrote:

Leaving the hat out of it... I'm glad to see someone actually show a compass (what Bryson used) and a protractor (which people on TV and the radio kept calling it! I will never "get" why he can't use the compass, since you could do the same thing by putting a mark on the edge of a scorecard and rotating it around. But, it was the USGA...

Yes, pair of compasses is also correct. And I can't tell for sure, it might have been dividers.

Welcome to Common Core education, the best in the United States.
    PING 400 Max and a Bag full of PXG’s.......
    Non Titleist Cameron Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009
    “Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”
  • jlbos83jlbos83 Members Posts: 559 ✭✭
    Sadly, most of the people who didn't know a compass from a protractor were old enough that common core had noting to do with it!
    Jeff, an Arizona hacker
This discussion has been closed.