*** 11/16/2019 Attention GolfWRX community. If you had to reset your forum password, please see info below. ***

GolfWRX was informed of a potential issue and in an effort to be proactive, Passwords were reset to users potentially effected. If you were among these users and have any issues resetting your password, please email [email protected] We're sorry for any inconvenience.

Who mills Byron Morgan heads

Comments

• dwbostondwboston  2386Lefty Boomers Posts: 2,386
    13wes13 wrote:

This thread is partially why I went with slighter for my custom. Completely Handmade with dozens of progress pics along the way. I could justify the price considering all the handwork put into it.

Not just smoothing some rough edges.

For every story like that, there are others who had a different experience with Slighter. I put in an order for a custom putter a few years back (and paid in full up front) and he "forgot" to make it. As the due date approached, I contacted him and asked about the status, and he had totally dropped the ball on it. He tried to get me to accept a different putter that he had on hand, and I declined. In the end I went elsewhere. It was incredibly disappointing. I roll my eyes whenever I see a Slighter testimonial. I've had customs from Byron, Lamont and Lajosi. I've gotten in-progress pics and updates from Lamont and Kari, but never on any of the Byrons. All three were really good to deal with and make high-quality products.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Titleist 915 D2 12*, GD AD TP 6S | Titleist 915F 16.5*, GD AD DI 8S | Titleist 915 H 21*, GD AD HY 95S
    Bridgestone J15 CB, 4-PW, Recoil Proto 125 F4 | Vokey SM7 52.08F | Vokey SM7 56.10S | Vokey SM7 60.12D
    Byron Morgan 006 flow neck, 34"/350g
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MaximilianMaximilian  1470Members Posts: 1,470
    Unfortunately, I also had a bad experience with Slighter. I’ve ordered customs through the years from a number of different people and my experience with Slighter is the only negative experience I’ve had.
    Posted:
  • Big BenBig Ben  9239Members Posts: 9,239
    I say the next big stainless will be from Italy! Hahaha! Although everyone in the know realizes that Hilimalaian Stainless will always be the best. BB
    Posted:
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
    The charsterics of stainless can very a little bit sure for purely mechanical reasons. To say one is better than another for putters is a stretch all things considered. Hey, for all I know there’s only one foundry in Germany that produces stainless. I doubt it but maybe. Does that make the material somehow special? Does that make it rare? I guess. Does it make it superior somehow? Maybe for some obscure industrial application. For Putters? I highly doubt it. BB
    Posted:
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140  4640Members Posts: 4,640
    13wes13 wrote:

This thread is partially why I went with slighter for my custom. Completely Handmade with dozens of progress pics along the way. I could justify the price considering all the handwork put into it.

Hand made like on a Bridgeport? Or when you say handmade you mean the CNC’ing is done by him in house?

Byron has always offered handmades . They’re unreal. Your cost and turnaround time goes up, but you can get a true handmade putter from him.
    Posted:
    I totally agree. Play the putter that gets the ball in the hole! Might not be what you think. For me it’s ultra high MOI about the size of a small frying pan. Happens to be made out of the miracle metal of the 20th century, Aluminum!
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Ngjg21Ngjg21  869Members Posts: 869
    Scotty1140 wrote:

13wes13 wrote:

Hand made like on a Bridgeport? Or when you say handmade you mean the CNC’ing is done by him in house?

Byron has always offered handmades . They’re unreal. Your cost and turnaround time goes up, but you can get a true handmade putter from him.

This. I contemplated a handmade #9 shape about a year ago...but then I remembered I can't putt well with them. I had full confidence Byron could make what I asked for, though.
    Posted:
  • chet schwalmchet schwalm  88Members Posts: 88
    A lot of great conversation in this thread. My shop does small run lots for a couple of putter companies. Our place only manufactures orthopedic implants and instruments with one exception: putters. The reason is simple, I am a golf addict. We have 4 axis CNC machines and polishing equipment which satisfies the quality needs for spinal fusion and total joint (FDA regulations) surgeries. The quality specs of putters are a piece of cake by comparison.

The discussion regarding programming and setup is correct. Once the program is in place, the worst part is the machine time is the machine time. Running 1000 putters does not lower the COGs. By comparison, a few parts we manufacture get less expensive as the volume increases. Normally we are too expensive to fit the requirements of putter companies.

BTW, my favorite thing to do is to buy a stainless putter with significant bag chatter, have one of my guys polish it, then paint fill it. Sometimes we tumble them for a softer finish. They look brand new. Often we can remove less than 10g during this process. Also of note, the medical device polishers are very skilled. Touching up a putter from eBay takes 5-10 minutes during their lunch hour.

My "eye-opening" moment was when I had a putter of a MAJOR OEM in hand and asked for the face to be re-milled. Our VP of R&D who is not a golfer was blown away. He said "this is the cheapest way to make a putter" and "people want mill marks on the finished product?" in his mind that means the piece is not finished.

I will try to attach a file which shows a putter blank. I have never attached a pdf on the forum before so I am not sure if it will work. Also will show a polished bag chatter putter.
    Posted:
  • dwbostondwboston  2386Lefty Boomers Posts: 2,386

A lot of great conversation in this thread. My shop does small run lots for a couple of putter companies. Our place only manufactures orthopedic implants and instruments with one exception: putters. The reason is simple, I am a golf addict. We have 4 axis CNC machines and polishing equipment which satisfies the quality needs for spinal fusion and total joint (FDA regulations) surgeries. The quality specs of putters are a piece of cake by comparison.

The discussion regarding programming and setup is correct. Once the program is in place, the worst part is the machine time is the machine time. Running 1000 putters does not lower the COGs. By comparison, a few parts we manufacture get less expensive as the volume increases. Normally we are too expensive to fit the requirements of putter companies.

BTW, my favorite thing to do is to buy a stainless putter with significant bag chatter, have one of my guys polish it, then paint fill it. Sometimes we tumble them for a softer finish. They look brand new. Often we can remove less than 10g during this process. Also of note, the medical device polishers are very skilled. Touching up a putter from eBay takes 5-10 minutes during their lunch hour.

My "eye-opening" moment was when I had a putter of a MAJOR OEM in hand and asked for the face to be re-milled. Our VP of R&D who is not a golfer was blown away. He said "this is the cheapest way to make a putter" and "people want mill marks on the finished product?" in his mind that means the piece is not finished.

I will try to attach a file which shows a putter blank. I have never attached a pdf on the forum before so I am not sure if it will work. Also will show a polished bag chatter putter.

Great stuff Chet. I'm betting you would have something if you marketed your own putter line with a "medical grade putters" tagline. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D2 12*, GD AD TP 6S | Titleist 915F 16.5*, GD AD DI 8S | Titleist 915 H 21*, GD AD HY 95S
    Bridgestone J15 CB, 4-PW, Recoil Proto 125 F4 | Vokey SM7 52.08F | Vokey SM7 56.10S | Vokey SM7 60.12D
    Byron Morgan 006 flow neck, 34"/350g
  • MedsonMedson  2384Members Posts: 2,384
    LOL. Medical grade putter. Put Scotty for shame.

Great input BTW. Very enlightening.
    Posted:
  • 13wes1313wes13  225Members Posts: 225
    Scotty1140 wrote:

13wes13 wrote:

I'm not an expert. A few pics he sent me I'll post below.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer  1371Members Posts: 1,371
    It`s pretty funny to think those blank Anser heads the "boutique" guys are getting are very likely the same ones Top-Flite uses too.
    Posted:

It`s pretty funny to think those blank Anser heads the "boutique" guys are getting are very likely the same ones Top-Flite uses too.

But they're not just buying blank heads. They are designing the heads and only outsourcing the milling to someone that owns the very expensive machine to do so. They are not buying pre-designed, blank heads from the machine owner.

Edit to add: I don't know much about Top-Flite, but I kind of doubt they are actually using milled heads. More likely cast.
    Posted:
    Maximilian wrote:

But they're not just buying blank heads. They are designing the heads and only outsourcing the milling to someone that owns the very expensive machine to do so. They are not buying pre-designed, blank heads from the machine owner.

This is totally my opinion, but I think you have it slightly backwards. A shipment of blanks come from an outsourced machine shop, in raw form. These guys are doing the finish sanding,torching,adding weight ports,paint fill,polishing, stamping...etc
    Posted:

The mystery of the magical powers of "GSS" have been debated ad nauseam, and you will always have the believers and the skeptical,

I`m waiting for Irish stainless, forged with the blood of a Leprechaun for added luck.
    Posted:

Maximilian wrote:

This is totally my opinion, but I think you have it slightly backwards. A shipment of blanks come from an outsourced machine shop, in raw form. These guys are doing the finish sanding,torching,adding weight ports,paint fill,polishing, stamping...etc

Some putter makers may buy blank heads like you are talking about, but the high-end guys like Byron, Mills etc. do spend tons of time refining there models before releasing them. To someone not used to looking at putters, they may all look the same, but if you look closely you will see small differences that make some models more desired than others. Top-Flite can't just order a bunch of DH89's or Softails.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • JunkerJorgeJunkerJorge  316Members Posts: 316
    There are a couple of boutique putter brands that, to my eye, have the EXACT same head shapes. I have wondered what the story is on these guys but have never been able to find anything. If anyone knows what the deal is, I would love to know.
    Posted:
  • delmerdelmer  439ClubWRX Posts: 439 BST Banned

I know a few machinists and they say the same thing about the mill marks on the face. I remember La Jolla or some brand like that had a mirror polished face that was supposedly milled to perfection and that thing was just hard as a rock feeling. Since then I've been a big believer in the heavy milling on faces.
    Posted:
  • joseyjosey  123Members Posts: 123
    Heavy milling reduces the energy transfer of the putter into the ball. So deeper wider milling or groves for that matter feel "soft" where very shallow or tightly spaced groves feel hard. Its not that hard to reverse engineer a putter and make a **** near identical head. I do cad design and cnc mill and could produce any of the milled putters out there.
    Posted:
  • justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker.  2911Members Posts: 2,911
    josey wrote:

Heavy milling reduces the energy transfer of the putter into the ball. So deeper wider milling or groves for that matter feel "soft" where very shallow or tightly spaced groves feel hard. Its not that hard to reverse engineer a putter and make a **** near identical head. I do cad design and cnc mill and could produce any of the milled putters out there.

If I send you a head, can you replicate it with some minor changes? Changes like: different cavity shape? Different top line thickness? Total finished weight?
    Posted:
  • joseyjosey  123Members Posts: 123
    Most likely.
    justasgood wrote:

josey wrote:

If I send you a head, can you replicate it with some minor changes? Changes like: different cavity shape? Different top line thickness? Total finished weight?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140  4640Members Posts: 4,640
    justasgood wrote:

josey wrote:

What model is that?!
    Posted:
  • justasgoodjustasgood Without Tempo, you are just a hacker.  2911Members Posts: 2,911
    Scotty1140 wrote:

justasgood wrote:

josey wrote:

What model is that?!

Cleveland Ta2 Milled

All milled carbon steel weighs 330gr tri-sole

Look familiar?

Posted:

Maximilian wrote:

You've got it wrong. The OEMs will design a putter and send the CAD file to a machine shop. The machine shop will program it and mill them.

You're thinking about how some of the iron and wedge companies used to buy blanks called open forgings and then stamp their logo on them.
    Posted:
    justasgood wrote:

josey wrote:

Sure, it will cost about $25K to program it.
    Posted:
    delmer wrote:

justasgood wrote:

josey wrote:

Didn’t know you offered as well. I’ll pass on your offer.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • rbj69rbj69  757Members Posts: 757
    justasgood wrote:
    delmer wrote:

justasgood wrote:

josey wrote:

Didn’t know you offered as well. I’ll pass on your offer.
    LMAO
    Posted:
    Taylormade M16 with blue atmos shaft
    Callaway Rogue 3 wd with blue evnflow shaft
    Cleveland hb launcher 3h
    4-pw Srixon Z585\Z785 combo with $ taper shafts
    Cleveland 50 cbx2 wedge
    Cleveland 56 cbx2 wedge
    Cleveland 60 cbx2 wedge
    Odyssey stability 1Wide
    Cleveland frontline
    Evnroll 1.2 Blacked out