We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Who mills Byron Morgan heads

1234568»
8

Comments

  • joseyjosey  123Members Posts: 123
    Joined:  #212
    Same. People will inevitably ask price or if I can make them something. And I would love to but since this is just a side project for me at this time I can justify becoming a paying advertiser.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Matt JMatt J  8735Members Posts: 8,735
    Joined:  #213
    josey wrote:


    Same. People will inevitably ask price or if I can make them something. And I would love to but since this is just a side project for me at this time I can justify becoming a paying advertiser.




    Maybe make a Facebook page and share a link. Seems if you took it off the forum somewhere that would keep things copacetic. You can always PM folks who show interest in what you're doing.
    Posted:
  • j.a.j.a.  1615Members Posts: 1,615
    Joined:  #214

    So after a long long read with very interesting posts, I haven’t found out who mills Byron Morgan’s heads.
    I remember that years ago he stopped selling one of his models because a box with those heads were stolen, yep it hasn’t been a secret that the main milling is done elsewhere.

    Posted:
  • Fairway14Fairway14  282Members Posts: 282
    Joined:  #215

    On -, @j.a. said:

    So after a long long read with very interesting posts, I haven’t found out who mills Byron Morgan’s heads.
    I remember that years ago he stopped selling one of his models because a box with those heads were stolen, yep it hasn’t been a secret that the main milling is done elsewhere.

    To use the services of a CNC milling shop my guess is that Byron orders a minimum of at least 25 to 30 heads of a particular model. If that model is no longer a big seller he discontinues it from his line and no longer takes customer orders for same.

    Posted:
  • JoelsimJoelsim  1352Members Posts: 1,352
    Joined:  #216

    To be fair, if a boutique putter makes sells 2,000 putters per annum and the CNC milling machine costs $1m dollars to buy, plus maintenance etc, then each putter is going to be several hundred dollars each before any time, materials, wages, profit, marketing, distribution, retailer markup or whatever is taken into account. You’d probably be looking at several thousand dollars per item, whereas a CNC milling company can be used for a few hours a month as and when needed.

    This is fine if you’re selling 50,000 putters per year, it makes sense to invest in the machinery.

    Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Fairway: Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Hybrid: Titleist 818 H1 23 Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Irons: Ping G400 4-UW (#4 at power spec loft)
    Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy Jaws 60W Low and Mack Daddy 4 64S, Cleveland CBX 2 54 Rotex 
    Putters: Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 (Jumbo Lamkin), Bettinardi Studio Stock #28 Slotback (Winn Dri-Tac), Bettinardi Queen Bee #9 (Winn Dri-Tac), Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach (Winn Dri-Tac),  Cleveland Huntington Beach #10 (Winn Dri-Tac), Piretti Forza (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Matera Elite (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Cottonwood II (Piretti Fat Grip).
  • DGord10DGord10  91ClubWRX Posts: 91
    Joined:  #217

    Just found this thread. Very interesting read!

    While I don’t doubt that other craft putter makers can take heads milled by others and turn them into great works of putter art (as we’ve all seen), from my experience with Bettinardi and their high level of detail and creativity, I do get the sense that controlling the process from start to finish adds a very important element to a high end putter manufacturer. Though creativity and beauty can be imparted, I think there is a level of detail and uniqueness that is hard to replicate (whether it a variety of milled faces or milled detail on the face and sole that can be offered). Just look at the last month of Cameron online gallery releases vs the last month of Bettinardi online Hive releases to see the much greater variety and uniqueness found from Bettinardi (even forgetting that they do it at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of Cameron). Or, look at the much greater variety of heads/necks/designs/finishes, as well as milled face/sole detail offered for customs from Bettinardi than the other boutique makers who seem to just offer a few. Is there another high end putter maker where a customer can select from such a wide variety of heads, finishes and necks and also create whatever designs on the face/sole/bumpers/pocket as their imagination desires?

    As a result, while a great finished product can come from a boutique maker who buys the milled heads, there is just so much more that a fully integrated and flexible operation can offer.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • BaddsBadds  1774Members Posts: 1,774
    Joined:  #218

    On -, @DGord10 said:

    Just found this thread. Very interesting read!

    While I don’t doubt that other craft putter makers can take heads milled by others and turn them into great works of putter art (as we’ve all seen), from my experience with Bettinardi and their high level of detail and creativity, I do get the sense that controlling the process from start to finish adds a very important element to a high end putter manufacturer. Though creativity and beauty can be imparted, I think there is a level of detail and uniqueness that is hard to replicate (whether it a variety of milled faces or milled detail on the face and sole that can be offered). Just look at the last month of Cameron online gallery releases vs the last month of Bettinardi online Hive releases to see the much greater variety and uniqueness found from Bettinardi (even forgetting that they do it at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of Cameron). Or, look at the much greater variety of heads/necks/designs/finishes, as well as milled face/sole detail offered for customs from Bettinardi than the other boutique makers who seem to just offer a few. Is there another high end putter maker where a customer can select from such a wide variety of heads, finishes and necks and also create whatever designs on the face/sole/bumpers/pocket as their imagination desires?

    As a result, while a great finished product can come from a boutique maker who buys the milled heads, there is just so much more that a fully integrated and flexible operation can offer.

    I used to love Bettinardi circa 2006-2012.

    The putters he's been making over the last 5 or so years are so garish looking it would make Scotty Cameron blush. But for people who want a blinged out putter they're probably happy with the changes. I'm not one of them.

    I think Byron's putters are much more tasteful. And they're less costly than Bettinardi.

    Posted:
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker  4759ClubWRX Posts: 4,759
    Joined:  edited Sep 3, 2019 11:18pm #219

    On -, @Im_A_Savage said:

    On -, @DGord10 said:

    Just found this thread. Very interesting read!

    While I don’t doubt that other craft putter makers can take heads milled by others and turn them into great works of putter art (as we’ve all seen), from my experience with Bettinardi and their high level of detail and creativity, I do get the sense that controlling the process from start to finish adds a very important element to a high end putter manufacturer. Though creativity and beauty can be imparted, I think there is a level of detail and uniqueness that is hard to replicate (whether it a variety of milled faces or milled detail on the face and sole that can be offered). Just look at the last month of Cameron online gallery releases vs the last month of Bettinardi online Hive releases to see the much greater variety and uniqueness found from Bettinardi (even forgetting that they do it at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of Cameron). Or, look at the much greater variety of heads/necks/designs/finishes, as well as milled face/sole detail offered for customs from Bettinardi than the other boutique makers who seem to just offer a few. Is there another high end putter maker where a customer can select from such a wide variety of heads, finishes and necks and also create whatever designs on the face/sole/bumpers/pocket as their imagination desires?

    As a result, while a great finished product can come from a boutique maker who buys the milled heads, there is just so much more that a fully integrated and flexible operation can offer.

    I used to love Bettinardi circa 2006-2012.

    The putters he's been making over the last 5 or so years are so garish looking it would make Scotty Cameron blush. But for people who want a blinged out putter they're probably happy with the changes. I'm not one of them.

    I think Byron's putters are much more tasteful. And they're less costly than Bettinardi.

    Generally Byron Morgan putters are an empty canvas for the owner to "paint", so to speak. I have seen some putters stamped with a lot of bling and I have seen putters stamped in a minimalist fashion. This is my Byron Morgan DH89 GSS Long Pipe, stamped in a minimalist fashion. There is no sole stamping on this putter, only the face (vertical BYRON MORGAN in gold paint).

    Posted:
    EAMUS CATULI! AC020303
  • Fairway14Fairway14  282Members Posts: 282
    Joined:  #220

    On -, @DGord10 said:

    As a result, while a great finished product can come from a boutique maker who buys the milled heads, there is just so much more that a fully integrated and flexible operation can offer.

    I know Byron Morgan and, or, Kari Lajosi will make a finished putter with a head weight of less than 330 grams. As far as I know, Bettinardi will not do that.
    Byron is a master at hand stamping, and I doubt Bettinardi does any hand stamping. Kari Lajosi is skilled at custom engraving. Both Byron and Kari will assemble a putter with just about any neck shape, size or orientation that a customer wants.
    All factors considered, my perspective is that both Byron and Kari offer more custom options than does Bettinardi.

    Posted:
  • nova6868nova6868  4826Members Posts: 4,826
    Joined:  #221

    I read most of this thread and I still haven't found where Byron (and others) are having their heads milled. Is it China? Personally I would prefer to buy a putter that was milled, finished, and built in the USA. Even if they contracted the milling.

    Posted:
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140  4648Members Posts: 4,648
    Joined:  edited Sep 4, 2019 2:15am #222

    On -, @nova6868 said:

    I read most of this thread and I still haven't found where Byron (and others) are having their heads milled. Is it China? Personally I would prefer to buy a putter that was milled, finished, and built in the USA. Even if they contracted the milling.

    Per Byron himself the putters are milled in the USA at a shop in southern California. Byron is currently moving from Huntington Beach to Georgia (to be closer to family) but will continue to use his Cali machine shop for the machined head while he finishes them in his new Georgia shop. He did not mention the exact machine shop.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • LionGolferLionGolfer  1393Members Posts: 1,393
    Joined:  #223

    On -, @Scotty1140 said:

    On -, @nova6868 said:

    I read most of this thread and I still haven't found where Byron (and others) are having their heads milled. Is it China? Personally I would prefer to buy a putter that was milled, finished, and built in the USA. Even if they contracted the milling.

    Per Byron himself the putters are milled in the USA at a shop in southern California. Byron is currently moving from Huntington Beach to Georgia (to be closer to family) but will continue to use his Cali machine shop for the machined head while he finishes them in his new Georgia shop. He did not mention the exact machine shop.

    Good to finally see this transparency.

    Posted:
    Drivers : Crazy435COAAngel5-GTD455Crazy9-ItoboriCrazy9Dia-ProceedIXCOABurningAngel
    UTs : Itobori-ModartMA01H-ProceedTi-PXG 317
    Irons : GrindStudioProto-ModartCBC-PXG311T-RoddioMeisterM
    Wedges : GrindStudio-Modart-Orion
    Putters : ArGolf-Benock-BPutters-Kitada-Machine-Masda-Nead-PXG-Slighter-Xenon
  • j.a.j.a.  1615Members Posts: 1,615
    Joined:  #224

    On -, @Scotty1140 said:

    Per Byron himself the putters are milled in the USA at a shop in southern California. Byron is currently moving from Huntington Beach to Georgia (to be closer to family) but will continue to use his Cali machine shop for the machined head while he finishes them in his new Georgia shop. He did not mention the exact machine shop.

    Finally mystery solved.
    Now I see that the HB might disappear from his putters

    Posted:
  • whowhisperswhowhispers  15Members Posts: 15
    Joined:  #225

    On -, @j.a. said:

    Finally mystery solved.
    Now I see that the HB might disappear from his putters

    Who knows, he might fetch up in Hickory Bluff... ;)

    Posted:
  • NDGolfer13NDGolfer13  1422Members Posts: 1,422
    Joined:  #226

    I’m don’t know who cnc mills for lumpy but I have one of his putters that says cnc test #2 on the toe of the putter. I have not read this thread in its entirety but he does have cnc models like somebody said early on.

    Posted:
    M5 Kiyoshi Purple
    TM M4 16.5 VA Composites Drago 75
    Epon AF901 19*/22*
    PXG 031X Proto CTaper 125 5-P/Ping I500/I210 KBS Tour 125 5-P
    PXG 0311 Forged 50/56/60-Scratch 1018 50/53/58
    Rife Deep Blue

    FOR NOW...........
    All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......
  • 8overpar8overpar Spring hill, TN 271Members Posts: 271
    Joined:  #227

    On -, @NDGolfer13 said:

    I’m don’t know who cnc mills for lumpy but I have one of his putters that says cnc test #2 on the toe of the putter. I have not read this thread in its entirety but he does have cnc models like somebody said early on.

    He mentioned it to me one day I was over but forgot who he works with. I do know that the shop is in Tennessee. Handmades are still milled in his backyard.

    Posted:
    Cobra 427SS 9.0*
    Cleveland 13* S300
    Cleveland TA1 Form Forged
    Cleveland TA REG 588 53* & 60*
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum
    Top Flight XL2000 Magna
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • sergizmosergizmo  2762Members Posts: 2,762
    Joined:  #228

    If machining is contracted out then the machine shop will generate the CNC code. The customer (putter maker) will supply the solid model CAD (solid works, solid edge, etc...) file that the machine shop will import into CAM (MasterCAM, Gibbs, etc...). The toolpaths and from that code will be generated by the CAM software. The machine shop will also design and make all workholding/fixturing needed to hold the putter at all stages of machining. This is how it works 99% of the time with machine shops. The customer provides a solid model and the machine shop does everything else.

    That is why small runs or one offs are so expensive.

    Posted:
8

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.