Prosoft inserts

Cruisin1966Cruisin1966 ClubWRX Posts: 748 ClubWRX
I just picked up some of the new Cobra MB's. I ordered them with the Modus3 105 stiff shafts. I've had some wrist and elbow issues this year, so rather than spending a whole bunch more on graphite shafts, I'd like to try some inserts. I was told that Golftown can't get any, so I'm looking for options (in Canada) for ordering some, Prosofts over Sensicore without getting bent over on cost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mizuno ST190 @ 9.5º
Callaway Flash SZ 3 Wood @ 15º
Ping G410 2H @ 17º
Srixon z785 4-AW
Taylormade MG Wedge @ 54º
Taylormade HT Wedge @ 60º
Artisan 0117 Deep Milled

Comments

• p3gap3ga Members Posts: 647 ✭✭
    Value Golf should be able to set you up: www.valuegolf.com/ Look under clubmaking supplies in the pull down menus.

Recommend the installation tool, makes the job much easier.

They made a nice difference for me; hope they help you as well.
    Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
    His hair was perfect

- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London

All the clubs I've ever owned.
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 8,930 ✭✭
    Just bought a set with the tool for my new Cobra CB’s as well. I hope they help they would be awesome!
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • p3gap3ga Members Posts: 647 ✭✭
    Cruisin, in addition to the Pro Softs, look into the Theraband resistance trainer, there's a bunch of threads on the forum about it. Big help with tendon issues. Start with the light or medium band and work your way up (yes, leave the man card at the door).

Use religiously for a few minutes each day to strengthen the muscles & increase flexibility.
    Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
    His hair was perfect

- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London

All the clubs I've ever owned.
  • Cruisin1966Cruisin1966 ClubWRX Posts: 748 ClubWRX
    Thanks folks. I was looking at ValueGolf, it's just the shipping is ridiculous if you want it sooner than three weeks.

I'll look into the Theraband resistance trainer as well.

Mizuno ST190 @ 9.5º
    Ping G410 2H @ 17º
    Srixon z785 4-AW
    Artisan 0117 Deep Milled

• dunndunn Members Posts: 6,361 ✭✭
    edited Nov 13, 2018 #6
    Just get 5/8 backer rod at home depot, same stuff

Get a roll of 50ft for like $5

Cut em into strips....used both and its same
    edited Nov 13, 2018 #7
    dunn wrote:

Just get 5/8 backer rod at home depot, same stuff

Get a roll of 50ft for like $5

Cut em into strips....used both and its same

Interesting. Definitely worth a try if the local Home Depo has any

Mizuno ST190 @ 9.5º
    Ping G410 2H @ 17º
    Srixon z785 4-AW
    Artisan 0117 Deep Milled

It's used for concrete gaps and painting....all of ours carry it

I use wd-40 to slide it down
    dunn wrote:

It's used for concrete gaps and painting....all of ours carry it

I use wd-40 to slide it down

I haven't checked, but frequently items available in the US are not necessarily available Canada.

Mizuno ST190 @ 9.5º
    Ping G410 2H @ 17º
    Srixon z785 4-AW
    Artisan 0117 Deep Milled

• SAM_PGASAM_PGA PGA Professional Knoxville, TNMembers Posts: 613 ✭✭
    That 5/8" backer rod looks almost identical to the ProSoft inserts. I use the inserts and its additional tool to curb tendonitis, as well as the TheraBand that I use religiously. Important that both inserts are closed cell foam which is more resistant to rusting out your shafts. It's my understanding that the Sensi-Core inserts were NOT closed cell and the trapped moisture in the foam had a tendency to rust the steel shaft out faster than normal oxidation.

IMO get the box of backer rod from Amazon but buy the installation tool from Value Golf.
    TITLEIST - VOKEY - SCOTTY CAMERON
    TS3 9.5º - ATTAS 6Star 6x     TS3 16.5º @ 15.75º - COOOL 7x     818 H2 21º @ 20º - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
    AP3 4-6 & AP2 7-P - DGTI AMT X100     SM7 50.12F  54.14F  60.12D @ 58º - DGTI S400
    Circle T Newport 2 Mid - Kuchar Prototype Arm Lock - Milled 7º Loft - Super Stroke 17" Tour - 42"
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,097 ✭✭
    hey guys -- any idea what this does to swingweighting? how far does it go down the shaft you figure (obviously don't need exact measurements)?
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,886 ✭✭
    edited Nov 14, 2018 #12
    gioguy21 wrote:

hey guys -- any idea what this does to swingweighting? how far does it go down the shaft you figure (obviously don't need exact measurements)?

The prosofts have no real effect on swing weight.
    Stuart G. wrote:

gioguy21 wrote:

The prosofts have no real effect on swing weight.
    thank you sir
  • SAM_PGASAM_PGA PGA Professional Knoxville, TNMembers Posts: 613 ✭✭
    gioguy21 wrote:

The inserts are about 7 or 8" in length and the tool inserts them so they're centered with the bottom hand more or less and have a net-zero effect on a SW scale. I'd be surprised if they register any weight on my gram scale too.
    TITLEIST - VOKEY - SCOTTY CAMERON
    TS3 9.5º - ATTAS 6Star 6x     TS3 16.5º @ 15.75º - COOOL 7x     818 H2 21º @ 20º - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
    AP3 4-6 & AP2 7-P - DGTI AMT X100     SM7 50.12F  54.14F  60.12D @ 58º - DGTI S400
    Circle T Newport 2 Mid - Kuchar Prototype Arm Lock - Milled 7º Loft - Super Stroke 17" Tour - 42"
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,159 ✭✭
    edited Nov 14, 2018 #15
    gioguy21 wrote:

Out of curiosity I just tried to weigh one on my electronic kitchen scale. As Sam said, It didn’t even register. The insert is 8.5 inches long. The tool is 1 foot long

The tool leaves the top of the insert 3.5 inches from the end of the shaft. The bottom of the insert is 12 inches from the end of the shaft.

What you are really paying for is the tool. The foam obviously costs almost nothing. I imagine if you are handy and creative you could make your own insert tool.

I prefer sensicores for ease of insertion and removal, but they have been discontinued. I bought a couple packs when I found out.

I imagine at some point true temper may market a new type of dampening product.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • CwebbCwebb Members Posts: 5,847 ClubWRX
    sampga1976 wrote:

gioguy21 wrote:

The inserts are about 7 or 8" in length and the tool inserts them so they're centered with the bottom hand more or less and have a net-zero effect on a SW scale. I'd be surprised if they register any weight on my gram scale too.

They weigh 1-1.5g, but they will not register on a gram scale if we just rest it on there. Place it inside something else...like a shaft, then weigh it on the scale
    I just use foam, WD 40 twist it down and use wooden dowel to gently slide it down farther....dont think it's all that critical....its dampening a vibration through hollow steel...

Have used pro softs, sensicore and backer rod and its same to me.....the water and rust thing I am not to worried about...I made my inserts a lil shorter than pro soft

There is nothing special about pro soft foam.....

• Payton1020Payton1020 Members Posts: 1,964 ✭✭
    Backer rod and PSI are not the same stuff. Just saying.
    COBRA Fly Z, Fly Z+, LTD Black
    ADAMS Super S 15* & 18* Matrix HD Radix SVI
    CLEVELAND Gliderail 588 20.5* Kuro Kage 80IR
    CALLAWAY '14 Apex Forged 5-GW Recoil 680 F4

INNOVEX Type S GDT 50*, 54* Kuro Kage Black 80i
    ODYSSEY Tri-Ball SRT

OGIO Grom 14 way stand bag
    Payton1020 wrote:

please, as a 12 cap, please discern for us the difference in feel from one over the other --

no one said the same. they said they're DA*N close -- and honestly, if you can't tell a difference, who cares?
  • jj9000jj9000 ClubWRX Posts: 2,605 ClubWRX
    You guys are thinking way too much.

Get foam.

Jam foam down shaft from butt-end. ****, a clothes hanger will work to install.

Put on grip.

Play golf.
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,192 ✭✭
    The tool helps speed up assembly because it helps make sure the insertion depth is consistent from shaft to shaft and it keeps the foam from bunching up. Well worth the money in my opinion.
    Ping G400 driver w/Adila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra F7 5 wood w/Aldila Black 70S
    TEE Pro 21* hybrid (hook machine)
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S (i200 backups)
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • Albatross85Albatross85 Tiger is the GOAT St. Louis, MOMembers Posts: 2,831 ✭✭
    Nessism wrote:

The tool helps speed up assembly because it helps make sure the insertion depth is consistent from shaft to shaft and it keeps the foam from bunching up. Well worth the money in my opinion.
    Agreed. I think i gave $20 for the tool several years back. I've used it on 4-5 iron sets and countless wedges. Well worth the money. The inserts are dirt cheap
    Titleist TS3 8.5* ............................Tensei Pro White 70TX proto 44.5" D5
    Titleist TS2 15.75* .......................Tensei Pro White 80TX proto 42.5" D4
    Mizuno MP18 Fli-Hi #2 17.5* Handcrafted HZRDUS 105 6.5 39.75" D2
    Titleist 712U 4 iron ....................C-taper S+ 125 D2
    Wilson FG Tour V6 5-P .............PX LZ 6.5 +3/8" D3.5 off 46* PW
    SM6 50.12F ...................................PX LZ 6.5 + 3/8"" D5
    Mizuno T7 55.09 .........................PX LZ 6.5 35.5" D6
    Mizuno T7 60.10 .........................Tour Issue Onyx S400 35.5" D6
    Odyssey Tour Only Jailbird Mini Versa BWB Plumbers Neck WHP insert
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Inserts acquired (with tool) and dropped off with grips and irons for install. I'll let you know how I think they feel once I've hit them

Mizuno ST190 @ 9.5º
    Ping G410 2H @ 17º
    Srixon z785 4-AW
    Artisan 0117 Deep Milled

jj9000 wrote:

You guys are thinking way too much.

Get foam.

Jam foam down shaft from butt-end. ****, a clothes hanger will work to install.

Put on grip.

Play golf.
    exactly....
  • 5hort5tuff5hort5tuff Members Posts: 3,286 ✭✭
    I just bought some backer rod. I'll try it out this winter. I have used sensicore inserts for the last bunch of years. Thwy are much more expensive and harder to find. They also rust put the shafts pretty good...

I plan to just jam them in to a consistent depth. No tool.

COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
    WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
    TAYLORMADE Issue Aeroburner w. Tensei Blue
    PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
    PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
    MannKrafted Carbon WB Rattler
    Xenon Copper Wide X
    SGC 902
  • cristphotocristphoto Members Posts: 3,296 ✭✭
    I would suggest getting the tool since the way it works is to pull the foam down the shaft. Using a dowel as a ramrod will cause the foam to bind up. I don’t know how critical this is for the damping effect but why scrimp on a fairly cheap tool? Years ago I had Ping irons with the Cushin insert and the Cushin seemed to be at about the same depth as the Prosofts after being installed with the special tool. Thus there may be research showing best insertion depth to maximize damping. I bought my first order of prosofts and the tool maybe 8-10 years ago. The tool will last a lifetime unless you loose it. As to the inserts themselves they are cheap enough from the supplier that my guess is they are an off-the-shelf product like the backer rod that’s often mentioned.
    That's what wd 40 is for and slight twisting motion.....I've done it so many times they don't bind up (I can feel it if it starts too).......but maybe a first timer would have problems.......you can prolly make a tool pretty easily tho.......I had a hard time with the tool so tool (would tear foam) why I do it way I do
  • Payton1020Payton1020 Members Posts: 1,964 ✭✭
    gioguy21 wrote:

Payton1020 wrote:

please, as a 12 cap, please discern for us the difference in feel from one over the other --

no one said the same. they said they're DA*N close -- and honestly, if you can't tell a difference, who cares?

Try inserting BR down a shaft and get back to me. Not being a ****, I found out for myself. PSI is porous, BR is not.
    COBRA Fly Z, Fly Z+, LTD Black
    ADAMS Super S 15* & 18* Matrix HD Radix SVI
    CLEVELAND Gliderail 588 20.5* Kuro Kage 80IR
    CALLAWAY '14 Apex Forged 5-GW Recoil 680 F4

INNOVEX Type S GDT 50*, 54* Kuro Kage Black 80i
    ODYSSEY Tri-Ball SRT

OGIO Grom 14 way stand bag
  • Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 8,930 ✭✭
    edited Nov 16, 2018 #29
    I inserted mine today using the tool. It takes one or two to dial in the technique but I can see right away this is this the way to go. I personally wouldn’t bother with the home brew for the cost of this small project. I have however wondered if the spray insulation stuff wouldn’t be kinda epic filling a small length down the shaft. It would take some thinking but darn it would be a very thorough fill. I have no idea how dense and heavy it might be however. I guess I could weigh a little pile.
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • 4rheel4rheel OC, CaliforniaMembers Posts: 1,785 ✭✭
    What shafts were you using before OP? The Modus 105 are much easier on the joints then x100. I went from x100 to the Fuji Pro95 TS x-flex and recently went to the Modus 105x since I missed steel. So far no issues and will play the 105x until I develop wrist and tennis elbow issues. Planning on prosoft (or the 5/8 backer rod) on my next grip change.
    I played the KBS c-taper 120S before. I'm getting older and later in the round I know I'm getting tired. I have some graphite shafts, but I'm not sold on the feel. So, I was looking for the dampening effect of the prosofts as well as adding the lighter weight. And, well, I like to try different things.

Mizuno ST190 @ 9.5º
    Ping G410 2H @ 17º
    Srixon z785 4-AW
    Artisan 0117 Deep Milled