McIlroy and the European Tour

MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,818 ✭✭
It's coming out that Rory McIlroy, at this stage, only has two European Tour events on his schedule for next year. Surprisingly, they are events that he has not had much to do with over the last few years - The Scottish Open and the European Masters in Switzerland which is sponsored by Omega just like Rory.

The first thing that I take from that is that the Irish Open and Rory seem to be over for now. Given how much effort he seemed to put into it over the last few years, I can see why he would want to take a step back and concentrate on golf but giving up on playing it completely is an unusual one.

The second thing is surely, he won't get to a point where he has to give up his ET card. With the US season finished by August next year, how he could even envisage not managing another two events during September, October and November is beyond me.
Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x

Comments

• MolemanMoleman Members Posts: 565 ✭✭
    Rory doesn’t really like golf anymore... image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 2,255 ✭✭
    ^^ When I saw the new schedule plus the fact he isn't hosting the Irish anymore I suspected he might ditch it to play the week before the Open instead.

I too am very surprised that Rory is seriously thinking about letting his ET membership lapse, the minimum commitment is so low given he is a cert for all majors and WGCs. I totally understand him doing whatever it takes to win majors but your point about him potentially not being able to find it in his schedule for 2 events, especially given how early the PGA Tour season finishes for the top guys, really surprises me. In fairness he does concede it's a little up in the air at the moment.
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • SuperbritSuperbrit Members Posts: 464 ✭✭
    He only has to play in 4 tournaments outside of the majors and WGC's, he'll play what he needs to

Titleist TS3 8.5*
    Titleist 915F 16.5*
    Titleist 816 19*
    Titleist AP3/AP2/MB Irons 4- PW
    Titleist SM7 Black 52/58*
    Scotty Cameron California fastback

• imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,633 ✭✭
    Guy seems lost imho. Pitty.
  • dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 11,709 mod
    I'm sure that schedule will fill up as the offseason goes along.

But part of me wonders - just a tiny bit - if he looks at what Tiger has gone through and says nah, thats not for me. I've made $150M (my guess - ~ $80M in career earnings and about that off?) in my career on and off the course, I'm 29, I'm happy with the way things are. Am I going to kill myself flying all over the world just to retain my Euro Tour card?

Not saying he's going to walk away from golf altogether. But if I made a list of young guys that I would say would be happy with what they've accomplished/made and might start focussing on life off the course? He'd at least be on the list.

Could be completely wrong though.
    M3 12* - AD-DI6x Black
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95 s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95 s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
    Toulon Indy 35" / TM TP5
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,701 ✭✭
    imakaveli wrote:

Why, because he's not obsessed and giving 110%, 365/24/7? I think Rory knows there is more to life.

Seems to me he is making choices based on the lifestyle he wants to live.

That's a guy who is anything but lost.

If anyone is lost, it's Jordan S.
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 2,255 ✭✭
    Superbrit wrote:

He only has to play in 4 tournaments outside of the majors and WGC's, he'll play what he needs to

From the quotes it doesn't sound like he intends to do that though. Only 2 events scheduled in and no indication that he will add any, in fairness he does concede its a little up in the air at the moment.

He might regret it in later life if he disqualifies himself from being an Ryder Cup captain.

Time will tell.
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x

Superbrit wrote:

From the quotes it doesn't sound like he intends to do that though. Only 2 events scheduled in and no indication that he will add any, in fairness he does concede its a little up in the air at the moment.

He might regret it in later life if he disqualifies himself from being an Ryder Cup captain.

Time will tell.

He will get in to the DP world's at the end of the season, so he only needs to add one more

Titleist TS3 8.5*
    Titleist 915F 16.5*
    Titleist 816 19*

• Pent08Pent08 Members Posts: 1,083 ✭✭
    Good for Rory. Focus on winning first, being an ambassador second. He went from being one of the most consistent players on Tour to actually manifesting the misrepresentation of a "streaky" player. Seems like he's getting tired.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,900 ✭✭
    Ferguson wrote:

imakaveli wrote:

Why, because he's not obsessed and giving 110%, 365/24/7? I think Rory knows there is more to life.

Ah come on Ferg ! I bet he and Phil get a win by Sunday night at Augusta. Heard it here 1st.

TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  •  Dave D Dave D Members Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    think it's disgusting that European players only join on ryder cup years, support your tour, should bring a rule in that unless a rookie, have to have been a member of that tour since the last ryder cup
    Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
    3 Wood: Taylormade M1 3HL 17* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
    2 iron: Taylormade P790 UDI w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 85g

4-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 50F, 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
    Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab #7 34"

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft

ig-badge-view-24.png
    fbv_twitter.png
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,633 ✭✭
    edited Nov 13, 2018 #13
    Ferguson wrote:

imakaveli wrote:

Of course not, between giving 110%, 365/24/7 and playing like Rory right now there are a lot of options image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,404 ✭✭
    Maybe Rory Jr. is on the way!

Also,

“I guess my thing is that I want to play against the strongest fields week-in and week-out and for the most part of the season that is in America. If I want to continue to contend in the majors and to continue my journey back towards the top of the game, then that’s what I want to do.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/mcilroys-2019-schedule-could-see-him-lose-european-tour-membership-37523457.html
  • jmckjmck Members Posts: 4,277 ✭✭
    dcmidnight wrote:

But part of me wonders - just a tiny bit - if he looks at what Tiger has gone through and says nah, thats not for me. I've made $150M (my guess - ~ $80M in career earnings and about that off?) in my career on and off the course, I'm 29, I'm happy with the way things are. Am I going to kill myself flying all over the world just to retain my Euro Tour card?

Not saying he's going to walk away from golf altogether. But if I made a list of young guys that I would say would be happy with what they've accomplished/made and might start focussing on life off the course? He'd at least be on the list.

Agree 100% with all of this. From reading the interview it sounded like he might add a few more tournaments later in the year beyond the two he's already committed to. Whether or not that's enough to keep his Euro Tour membership didn't sound like it would affect his decision process one way or the other.

As to the second part, he's been clear in interviews that he doesn't have being the greatest of all time as his goal, and he's mentioned Tiger's life under the microscope specifically in that context. I have heard him say that his goal is to retire as the greatest European golfer. If you look at the careers of Faldo and Seve I'd say that age 29 Rory is more than half way there. That's pretty freaking good for a 29 year old who seems to be very happy with his work/life balance.

Rory will be fine. Last year he broke a rib, got married, and changed equipment companies twice. That's an awful lot going on, and he was still pretty good (#7 in OWGR, #6 for the year in total SG on the PGA Tour). It wouldn't surprise me to see him have a big 2019.
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,231 ✭✭
    Dave D wrote:

think it's disgusting that European players only join on ryder cup years, support your tour, should bring a rule in that unless a rookie, have to have been a member of that tour since the last ryder cup

Given your location that's a perfectly understandable position. I love the Euro PGA Tour. The thing I like best about it is that it's a true world Tour. And I think in some player's minds that's the worst thing about it. The travel can be brutal to play a full season on that Tour. The Rolex series has great purses but on average purse size on the PGA Tour is better and the vast majority of the PGA Tour schedule can fit within 3 time zones. For the higher ranked Euro players from where I'm at its totally understandable why they would make that decision.
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution 10.5* - Proforce V2 HL - S
    TM M1 Tour issue 14* - Maltby ProSeries FW - S
    Maltby KE4 Tour 19*/22* - Kuro Kage Black 80hy - S
    Maltby MMB 17 - DGS300
    W/S PMP Raw 52/56/60 - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    W/S Bucktown
  • M4TTM4TT EnglandMembers Posts: 1,391 ✭✭
    F**k Rory. Sell out.

He doesn't want to play over here in fear of the wind and rain. Stay over there superstar in the sunshine where you can throw darts.... but then go on to 3 putt them. $$$ talks.

His management own his head which in turn is ruining his game.

TAYLORMADE M3 RIP'D X 6.5
    COBRA F8 19* HZRDUS BLACK 6.5
    CALLAWAY XR PRO 23* PX 6.0
    TAYLORMADE R9 TP 5 IRON KBS S
    TAYLORMADE MC 6-PW KBS S TITLEIST SM6 52, 24, 56
    SCOTTY CAMERON 2018 NEWPORT
    TITLEIST PROV1 X
    CLICGEAR 3.5
    TITLEIST TOUR BAG

dcmidnight wrote:

I'm willing to wager he's made a lot more than that off the course

Titleist TS3 8.5*
    Titleist 915F 16.5*
    Titleist 816 19*

• dieselmddieselmd Members Posts: 566 ✭✭
    If Rory is serious about his golf game and contending in major championships again, he needs to take the route DJ did. From where his tee shots end, he has to be one of the worst players I've ever seen. Also, since Billy Foster has split with Westwood, Rory should hire him. I believe an experienced caddie can make a huge difference.
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,854 ✭✭
    The bottom line is there is a TONNE of money in sports these days. A modern luxury that didn't exist not that long ago

So more and more players are adopting the "why kill yourself flying and traveling around constantly when you don't need to?" mentality

I get it. Travel blows with a young family, new marriage etc

If I am Rory I am focused on getting to 10 majors and getting a win at ANGC for the career grand slam. All else on the side is gravy

Dear RORS. Go work with Crenshaw and become a die speed putter. Go work with a new wedge expert so your iron game from inside 150 matches your driver prowess
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
    dieselmd wrote:

If Rory is serious about his golf game and contending in major championships again, he needs to take the route DJ did. From where his tee shots end, he has to be one of the worst players I've ever seen. Also, since Billy Foster has split with Westwood, Rory should hire him. I believe an experienced caddie can make a huge difference.

Totally agree with the Billy Foster statement (even though you do have that badge as your avatar)

Titleist TS3 8.5*
    Titleist 915F 16.5*
    Titleist 816 19*

• duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,015 ✭✭
    Storm in a tea cup. Per usual Rory is going to get pilloried for speaking his mind and musing on this or that based on some journo question; this time it just happens to be his sched.

Basically he has said 2019 is planned through August and in that time he may only play in a couple European events, as he wants to spend more time matching up with the big boys at the big PGA tour events.

That is all. Seriously.

The Euro tour has seriously back-loaded its 2019 schedule with loads of National opens from mid Aug to mid Oct, plus a few other bigger events. He can easily meet the requirement then.
  • dieselmddieselmd Members Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Superbrit wrote:

dieselmd wrote:

Totally agree with the Billy Foster statement (even though you do have that badge as your avatar)

Ultimately, it comes down to the player, his commitment and execution but having one of the best caddies out there can only help. Also, Rory is his generations Colin"Rabbit Ears"Montgomery! You can see him getting visibly annoyed with spectator-jabs all too easy.

On a side note, been a supporter of Utd. before Sir Alex and Big Ron. It pains me to see what's happening now.
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,818 ✭✭
    cardoustie wrote:

If I am Rory I am focused on getting to 10 majors and getting a win at ANGC for the career grand slam. All else on the side is gravy

Dear RORS. Go work with Crenshaw and become a die speed putter. Go work with a new wedge expert so your iron game from inside 150 matches your driver prowess

That is what he should be focusing on and, with his talent, that is what he should be achieving. At his best, he is that good. As thing stand though, he is not going to do it. Quoting himself from 2013, he seems to be "brain dead" at the moment. At the end of last year, he talked about taking stock of his first 10 years on tour and preparing for the next 10 years of his career. The first year of that decade has been a B minus according to him, that is generous. One win coming from way back when no pressure was on should have been a launchpad for a great year, instead what we got was him at best getting in his own way or at worst implosions any time he got near the lead.

He was in winning positions in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Augusta, Wentworth and even had a decent chance at Carnoustie. A player of his talent should not be letting that many chances go begging.

If the reduction of his European schedule results in his golf improving, I am all for it. That said most of his good finishes this year where on the European Tour, without them I wonder what his current ranking would look like.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • duffer987duffer987 Don't feed the Choo. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,015 ✭✭
    dieselmd wrote:

Superbrit wrote:

dieselmd wrote:

Ultimately, it comes down to the player, his commitment and execution but having one of the best caddies out there can only help. Also, Rory is his generations Colin"Rabbit Ears"Montgomery! You can see him getting visibly annoyed with spectator-jabs all too easy.

On a side note, been a supporter of Utd. before Sir Alex and Big Ron. It pains me to see what's happening now.

Really? Examples?

I've seen him get annoyed at slow play, but putting him on the same level as Monty for spectator interaction? That's a new one.
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,141 ✭✭
    Superbrit wrote:

Exactly. He will get enough starts in majors and wgcs to not have to worry about it. Plus it’s an off year for Ryder cup so no need to worry about accumulating points
    dieselmd wrote:

Superbrit wrote:

dieselmd wrote:

Well you are from Oregon so your still closer to Manchester than most of their other supporters image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />

People keep saying get rid of moaninho, i say keep him!! image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Titleist TS3 8.5*
    Titleist 915F 16.5*
    Titleist 816 19*

• dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 11,709 mod
    the bishop wrote:

And I think in some player's minds that's the worst thing about it.

Agreed. These guys now seem to all live/train/play in the US a large % of their year. I understand that some of them feel an obligation to support the ET. And I respect that. But I'm also OK if they dont want to go through all that travel - especially the ones with young families. And dont give me the "boo hoo, these guys all fly private anyway" nonsense. The travel sucks and is brutal on your body, I dont care how you are flying. Its miserable.
    M3 12* - AD-DI6x Black
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95 s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95 s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
    Toulon Indy 35" / TM TP5
  • Golfer4LifeGolfer4Life “Don’t bother me with your pettiness” Lake Placid, N.Y. Whiteface G.C.ClubWRX Posts: 2,326 ✭✭
    Who? The guy looks like he is in a constant state of constipation.

He hates golf!
    PING 400 Max and a Bag full of PXG’s.......
    Non Titleist Cameron Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009
    “Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,701 ✭✭
    cardoustie wrote:

The bottom line is there is a TONNE of money in sports these days. A modern luxury that didn't exist not that long ago

So more and more players are adopting the "why kill yourself flying and traveling around constantly when you don't need to?" mentality

I get it. Travel blows with a young family, new marriage etc

Money, like education, affords people the ability to make better choices.
  • doublehansdoublehans Members Posts: 642 ✭✭
    Seems like the right mindset. Hes not saying he won't add more events post-august, more just focusing on the part of the season that matters most. Potentially losing a captaincy 20yrs from now should matter much to him in comparison to being fresh to compete now. If the Euro Tour wants to leverage their control of the Ryder Cup into forcing players to play events, its understandable, but if they denied Rory a captaincy over this it'd arguably hurt them more than it would Rory, losing a high profile captain like Rory would be a hit not just for the player for the team Europe as well. Sounds like he's got his priorities right. He'll probably end up adding events later, but hes waiting to see how he feels first. But even if he doesn't, if he feels fresher and wins a major, he will never regret it for moment.