McIlroy and the European Tour

MattyO1984

It's coming out that Rory McIlroy, at this stage, only has two European Tour events on his schedule for next year. Surprisingly, they are events that he has not had much to do with over the last few years - The Scottish Open and the European Masters in Switzerland which is sponsored by Omega just like Rory.

The first thing that I take from that is that the Irish Open and Rory seem to be over for now. Given how much effort he seemed to put into it over the last few years, I can see why he would want to take a step back and concentrate on golf but giving up on playing it completely is an unusual one.

The second thing is surely, he won't get to a point where he has to give up his ET card. With the US season finished by August next year, how he could even envisage not managing another two events during September, October and November is beyond me.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ When I saw the new schedule plus the fact he isn't hosting the Irish anymore I suspected he might ditch it to play the week before the Open instead.

I too am very surprised that Rory is seriously thinking about letting his ET membership lapse, the minimum commitment is so low given he is a cert for all majors and WGCs. I totally understand him doing whatever it takes to win majors but your point about him potentially not being able to find it in his schedule for 2 events, especially given how early the PGA Tour season finishes for the top guys, really surprises me. In fairness he does concede it's a little up in the air at the moment.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

I'm sure that schedule will fill up as the offseason goes along.

But part of me wonders - just a tiny bit - if he looks at what Tiger has gone through and says nah, thats not for me. I've made $150M (my guess - ~ $80M in career earnings and about that off?) in my career on and off the course, I'm 29, I'm happy with the way things are. Am I going to kill myself flying all over the world just to retain my Euro Tour card?

Not saying he's going to walk away from golf altogether. But if I made a list of young guys that I would say would be happy with what they've accomplished/made and might start focussing on life off the course? He'd at least be on the list.

Could be completely wrong though.

TBD testing underway QI10 LS Stealth2

TM BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s
PXG Gen6 XP 6-P / Steelfiber 110s
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom - LA GOLF 135 // ZStar XV / Left Dash

He only has to play in 4 tournaments outside of the majors and WGC's, he'll play what he needs to

From the quotes it doesn't sound like he intends to do that though. Only 2 events scheduled in and no indication that he will add any, in fairness he does concede its a little up in the air at the moment.

He might regret it in later life if he disqualifies himself from being an Ryder Cup captain.

Time will tell.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

He only has to play in 4 tournaments outside of the majors and WGC's, he'll play what he needs to

From the quotes it doesn't sound like he intends to do that though. Only 2 events scheduled in and no indication that he will add any, in fairness he does concede its a little up in the air at the moment.

He might regret it in later life if he disqualifies himself from being an Ryder Cup captain.

Time will tell.

He will get in to the DP world's at the end of the season, so he only needs to add one more

Ping G425 LST 9*

Cobra LTDx LS 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Ping G425 Crossover 3

Ping I500 5-PW

Ping I210 UW

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

Odyssey OG Rossie "Rahm"

Guy seems lost imho. Pitty.

Why, because he's not obsessed and giving 110%, 365/24/7? I think Rory knows there is more to life.

Seems to me he is making choices based on the lifestyle he wants to live.

That's a guy who is anything but lost.

If anyone is lost, it's Jordan S.

Ah come on Ferg ! I bet he and Phil get a win by Sunday night at Augusta. Heard it here 1st.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

think it's disgusting that European players only join on ryder cup years, support your tour, should bring a rule in that unless a rookie, have to have been a member of that tour since the last ryder cup

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

Guy seems lost imho. Pitty.

Why, because he's not obsessed and giving 110%, 365/24/7? I think Rory knows there is more to life.

Seems to me he is making choices based on the lifestyle he wants to live.

That's a guy who is anything but lost.

If anyone is lost, it's Jordan S.

Of course not, between giving 110%, 365/24/7 and playing like Rory right now there are a lot of options ;)

Maybe Rory Jr. is on the way!

Also,

“I guess my thing is that I want to play against the strongest fields week-in and week-out and for the most part of the season that is in America. If I want to continue to contend in the majors and to continue my journey back towards the top of the game, then that’s what I want to do.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/mcilroys-2019-schedule-could-see-him-lose-european-tour-membership-37523457.html

But part of me wonders - just a tiny bit - if he looks at what Tiger has gone through and says nah, thats not for me. I've made $150M (my guess - ~ $80M in career earnings and about that off?) in my career on and off the course, I'm 29, I'm happy with the way things are. Am I going to kill myself flying all over the world just to retain my Euro Tour card?

Not saying he's going to walk away from golf altogether. But if I made a list of young guys that I would say would be happy with what they've accomplished/made and might start focussing on life off the course? He'd at least be on the list.

Agree 100% with all of this. From reading the interview it sounded like he might add a few more tournaments later in the year beyond the two he's already committed to. Whether or not that's enough to keep his Euro Tour membership didn't sound like it would affect his decision process one way or the other.

As to the second part, he's been clear in interviews that he doesn't have being the greatest of all time as his goal, and he's mentioned Tiger's life under the microscope specifically in that context. I have heard him say that his goal is to retire as the greatest European golfer. If you look at the careers of Faldo and Seve I'd say that age 29 Rory is more than half way there. That's pretty freaking good for a 29 year old who seems to be very happy with his work/life balance.

Rory will be fine. Last year he broke a rib, got married, and changed equipment companies twice. That's an awful lot going on, and he was still pretty good (#7 in OWGR, #6 for the year in total SG on the PGA Tour). It wouldn't surprise me to see him have a big 2019.

think it's disgusting that European players only join on ryder cup years, support your tour, should bring a rule in that unless a rookie, have to have been a member of that tour since the last ryder cup

Given your location that's a perfectly understandable position. I love the Euro PGA Tour. The thing I like best about it is that it's a true world Tour. And I think in some player's minds that's the worst thing about it. The travel can be brutal to play a full season on that Tour. The Rolex series has great purses but on average purse size on the PGA Tour is better and the vast majority of the PGA Tour schedule can fit within 3 time zones. For the higher ranked Euro players from where I'm at its totally understandable why they would make that decision.

Mizuno ST Max 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Sub 70 949X 15*/18* - RDX Smoke Red 70/6.0

Sub 70 949X 21* - RDX Smoke Red 80/6.0

Sub 70 659 CB 5-7  DGS300

Sub 70 659 TC 8-P  DGS300

Sub 70 286 50* - DGS300

Sub 70 JB Raw 54*/60* - DGS300

Sub 70 008 CS

CSX   

I'm willing to wager he's made a lot more than that off the course

Ping G425 LST 9*

Cobra LTDx LS 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Ping G425 Crossover 3

Ping I500 5-PW

Ping I210 UW

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

Odyssey OG Rossie "Rahm"

If Rory is serious about his golf game and contending in major championships again, he needs to take the route DJ did. From where his tee shots end, he has to be one of the worst players I've ever seen. Also, since Billy Foster has split with Westwood, Rory should hire him. I believe an experienced caddie can make a huge difference.

The bottom line is there is a TONNE of money in sports these days. A modern luxury that didn't exist not that long ago

So more and more players are adopting the "why kill yourself flying and traveling around constantly when you don't need to?" mentality

I get it. Travel blows with a young family, new marriage etc

If I am Rory I am focused on getting to 10 majors and getting a win at ANGC for the career grand slam. All else on the side is gravy

Dear RORS. Go work with Crenshaw and become a die speed putter. Go work with a new wedge expert so your iron game from inside 150 matches your driver prowess

Ping G400 LST 10.6* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* G Design AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* G Design AD DI 6x 

Ping G425 4h 23* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i - 7i & s55 8i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

If Rory is serious about his golf game and contending in major championships again, he needs to take the route DJ did. From where his tee shots end, he has to be one of the worst players I've ever seen. Also, since Billy Foster has split with Westwood, Rory should hire him. I believe an experienced caddie can make a huge difference.

Totally agree with the Billy Foster statement (even though you do have that badge as your avatar)

Ping G425 LST 9*

Cobra LTDx LS 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Ping G425 Crossover 3

Ping I500 5-PW

Ping I210 UW

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

Odyssey OG Rossie "Rahm"

Storm in a tea cup. Per usual Rory is going to get pilloried for speaking his mind and musing on this or that based on some journo question; this time it just happens to be his sched.

Basically he has said 2019 is planned through August and in that time he may only play in a couple European events, as he wants to spend more time matching up with the big boys at the big PGA tour events.

That is all. Seriously.

The Euro tour has seriously back-loaded its 2019 schedule with loads of National opens from mid Aug to mid Oct, plus a few other bigger events. He can easily meet the requirement then.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Totally agree with the Billy Foster statement (even though you do have that badge as your avatar)

Ultimately, it comes down to the player, his commitment and execution but having one of the best caddies out there can only help. Also, Rory is his generations Colin"Rabbit Ears"Montgomery! You can see him getting visibly annoyed with spectator-jabs all too easy.

On a side note, been a supporter of Utd. before Sir Alex and Big Ron. It pains me to see what's happening now.

If I am Rory I am focused on getting to 10 majors and getting a win at ANGC for the career grand slam. All else on the side is gravy

Dear RORS. Go work with Crenshaw and become a die speed putter. Go work with a new wedge expert so your iron game from inside 150 matches your driver prowess

That is what he should be focusing on and, with his talent, that is what he should be achieving. At his best, he is that good. As thing stand though, he is not going to do it. Quoting himself from 2013, he seems to be "brain dead" at the moment. At the end of last year, he talked about taking stock of his first 10 years on tour and preparing for the next 10 years of his career. The first year of that decade has been a B minus according to him, that is generous. One win coming from way back when no pressure was on should have been a launchpad for a great year, instead what we got was him at best getting in his own way or at worst implosions any time he got near the lead.

He was in winning positions in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Augusta, Wentworth and even had a decent chance at Carnoustie. A player of his talent should not be letting that many chances go begging.

If the reduction of his European schedule results in his golf improving, I am all for it. That said most of his good finishes this year where on the European Tour, without them I wonder what his current ranking would look like.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Ultimately, it comes down to the player, his commitment and execution but having one of the best caddies out there can only help. Also, Rory is his generations Colin"Rabbit Ears"Montgomery! You can see him getting visibly annoyed with spectator-jabs all too easy.

On a side note, been a supporter of Utd. before Sir Alex and Big Ron. It pains me to see what's happening now.

Really? Examples?

I've seen him get annoyed at slow play, but putting him on the same level as Monty for spectator interaction? That's a new one.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Well you are from Oregon so your still closer to Manchester than most of their other supporters :taunt:

People keep saying get rid of moaninho, i say keep him!! :D

Ping G425 LST 9*

Cobra LTDx LS 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Ping G425 Crossover 3

Ping I500 5-PW

Ping I210 UW

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

Odyssey OG Rossie "Rahm"

And I think in some player's minds that's the worst thing about it.

Agreed. These guys now seem to all live/train/play in the US a large % of their year. I understand that some of them feel an obligation to support the ET. And I respect that. But I'm also OK if they dont want to go through all that travel - especially the ones with young families. And dont give me the "boo hoo, these guys all fly private anyway" nonsense. The travel sucks and is brutal on your body, I dont care how you are flying. Its miserable.

TBD testing underway QI10 LS Stealth2

TM BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s
PXG Gen6 XP 6-P / Steelfiber 110s
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom - LA GOLF 135 // ZStar XV / Left Dash

Who? The guy looks like he is in a constant state of constipation.

He hates golf!

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

The bottom line is there is a TONNE of money in sports these days. A modern luxury that didn't exist not that long ago

So more and more players are adopting the "why kill yourself flying and traveling around constantly when you don't need to?" mentality

I get it. Travel blows with a young family, new marriage etc

Money, like education, affords people the ability to make better choices.