New Wilson CorTex driver

Comments

• boggymanboggyman Members Posts: 2,546 ✭✭
    johnnypro wrote:

I like my TS2 a lot.

But I also like the look of the Cortex.

Love the deep face.

Will other OEM wrenches work with the Wilson?

Yes, they will fit. Although everyone says they’re different torques. My Cobra, W/S, Ping, TM all work on my various models from the OEMs I’ve mentioned. The Cortex is no joke, Inpromise. Try it if yuh get a chance.
  • johnnyprojohnnypro Members Posts: 1,850 ✭✭
    I will get the chance.

Picked one up on ebay for $285.
  • radimanradiman Members Posts: 4,638 ✭✭
    johnnypro wrote:

I will get the chance.

Looking at the listings. It looks like, at most, you would spend $400 on a brand new one. They have some going quite a bit cheaper at auction (around what you paid) that are listed used but look brand new. A great option for those that want to buy it but can't get over the Wilson pricing. In my mind, $400 is the sweet spot for it anyhow.
    Callaway Epic Flash 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
    edited Dec 4, 2018 #545
    johnnypro wrote:

I will get the chance.

Holyyyy ^^^^...... I got mine at a bargain but not like that!
  • DfwgolfdudeDfwgolfdude Members Posts: 87 ✭✭
    Wow $285!?

Is it real? LOL
    My bag
    http://www.golfwrx.c...2-my-mixed-bag/

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]~ Driver - [/font]Callaway[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] Epic SZ - 9*[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Paderson Kinetix Ballistic- Stiff - Super Stroke grips all around and Pured[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]~ 3 Wood - Titleist TS2 - 15* set to D1 [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Paderson Kinetix Ballistic - Stiff[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]~ 2 Hybrid - Ping G400 - 17*[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Paderson Kinetix Ballistic- Stiff[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]~ 4 Hybrid - Cobra F7 - 20.5[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Stock for now but will upgrade shortly[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]~ Irons - [/font]Callaway[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] Apex 5 - GW[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Nippon NS Pro Modus - Stiff[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]~ Wedges - [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist[/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] Vokey SM6 52* 56* 60* - Black[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]~ Putter - [/font]Taylormade[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] Mini Spider[/font]
  • averysdadaverysdad Members Posts: 1,129 ✭✭
    I was chasing one in an auction yesterday that the winning bid was right at $285 on it.
  • RATRAT RAT Members Posts: 197
    boggyman wrote:

GoGoErky wrote:

QuigleyDU wrote:

boggyman wrote:

Don't know if it's been mentioned already but from our Rep... 9* is 450cc, 10.5 is 455c. , and 12* is 460cc. I told the guy running the shop other day when I bought mine that the 9* looked slightly smaller. It's been confirmed.

That seems extremely odd. i am not saying you are wrong but that seem so strange.

Yeah that's real weird. I could see if they did like ping or other companies and offer didn't model in different size but to do it by loft makes zero sense.

The 10.5 I got is a tad elongated compared to the 9. Not highly noticeable but after looking st them a few minutes I could see it, that's when I mentioned in the shop. Really liking the driver do far . I'm gonna see if the shafts are interchangeable with the C300.
    There is a different sizing in cc per degree selected..This due to 9* is for Pros it's the smaller head.. I have see it in Text message from Wilson Rep to store owner.
  • J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,279 ✭✭
    Challenge for WS is maintaining the $500 price point at retail. Getting a driver in Auction for $285 is not a good sign. My guess the Cortex will be heavily discounted by Feb. Shops near me have sold 2 so far and they were online orders from who knows where in the country. That's a pretty terrible launch.
    Callaway Flash SZ 9* / ROGUE 130msi Silver 70TX
    Nike VR Pro LTD 15* / Aldila RIP 80X
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey White Hot Versa #6 Tour issue
    Srixon Zstar XV

GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub

GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

INSTAGRAM- @Jminis13
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,072 ✭✭
    J13 wrote:

Challenge for WS is maintaining the $500 price point at retail. Getting a driver in Auction for $285 is not a good sign. My guess the Cortex will be heavily discounted by Feb. Shops near me have sold 2 so far and they were online orders from who knows where in the country. That's a pretty terrible launch.

Completely agree. Less than 3 weeks after release doesn’t help the perception.
  • rfarrell51rfarrell51 Members Posts: 1,344 ✭✭
    edited Dec 7, 2018 #551
    RAT wrote:
    boggyman wrote:

GoGoErky wrote:

QuigleyDU wrote:

boggyman wrote:

Don't know if it's been mentioned already but from our Rep... 9* is 450cc, 10.5 is 455c. , and 12* is 460cc. I told the guy running the shop other day when I bought mine that the 9* looked slightly smaller. It's been confirmed.

That seems extremely odd. i am not saying you are wrong but that seem so strange.

Yeah that's real weird. I could see if they did like ping or other companies and offer didn't model in different size but to do it by loft makes zero sense.

The 10.5 I got is a tad elongated compared to the 9. Not highly noticeable but after looking st them a few minutes I could see it, that's when I mentioned in the shop. Really liking the driver do far . I'm gonna see if the shafts are interchangeable with the C300.
    There is a different sizing in cc per degree selected..This due to 9* is for Pros it's the smaller head.. I have see it in Text message from Wilson Rep to store owner.

I have a 9 degree head and love it. I’m also a 9 hdcp, far from a pro. Love the look at address. Deep face is very nice. Evenflow shaft.

And most of the sales on eBay are for pre owned clubs. Still, I agree, not a good look.

But I’ll keep mine.
    Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
    TM M2 3 wood
    King Cobra F6 5 wood
    Titleist 816 H1 21 hybrid
    Wilson Staff V6 Forged 5-GW
    Mizuno T7 56
    Evnroll ER1
  • Steel DilloSteel Dillo Members Posts: 181 ✭✭
    The review everyone has been waiting for is up. Kind of what I expected.

• Popeye64Popeye64 Members Posts: 874 ✭✭
    One thing you cant take away from this club is how good it looks. Also a couple of the reviews have shown 700-800 RPM differences front the back on the sliding weight.. I'm looking forward to swinging this club.
  • 03trdblack03trdblack ClubWRX Posts: 1,833 ClubWRX
    In almost all of Rick's reviews he states at the end whether or not he could play this club and it would go in his bag. I noticed he left that out in this review.
  • Doc420Doc420 Members Posts: 2,322 ✭✭
    J13 wrote:

2 sold should put them ahead of the game when compared with the last one. Lol
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,444 ✭✭
    What were Ricks’s numbers compared to the other drivers he has hit?
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • radimanradiman Members Posts: 4,638 ✭✭
    Holy Moses wrote:

He posts his "acceptable range" of numbers. Cortex falls within it. So, you can assume, the numbers are similar to other clubs. You'd almost have to check his other reviews to get those clubs numbers unless he does a head to head eventually.
    Callaway Epic Flash 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,433 ✭✭
    Holy Moses wrote:

Pretty much the same
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,072 ✭✭
    radiman wrote:

Holy Moses wrote:

He posts his "acceptable range" of numbers. Cortex falls within it. So, you can assume, the numbers are similar to other clubs. You'd almost have to check his other reviews to get those clubs numbers unless he does a head to head eventually.

Spin and launch were the only ones that were higher than his range
  • eaglestan66eaglestan66 Members Posts: 512 ✭✭
    edited Dec 10, 2018 #560
    Played my 10.5 Cortex fitted with Tour Spec Blue today in NY with 26 to 30 degree air temps.

This driver is the real deal slightly outperforming my TM M4 with same shaft setup.

I love the compact footprint uber carbon fiber head!!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Wilson Cortex 10.5 Atmos TS Blue S
    Aeroburner TP Mini 14° Matrix 70 Proto S
    Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow 85 S
    Titleist 818 H1 21 ACCRA 85 S
    Miura CB57 4-Pw Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120S
    Miura 52 & 58 Black Series KBS 120S KM-350 putter

Played my 10.5 Cortex fitted with Tour Spec Blue today in NY with 26 to 30 degree air temps.

This driver is the real deal slightly outperforming my TM M4 with same shaft setup.

I love the smaller uber carbon fiber head!!

My 10.5 with Blue beat out my Rogue with all time fave Green NV in it. Glad to hear you like it.
  • daleheaddalehead Members Posts: 1,441 ✭✭
    Rick Shiel's review was pretty much what I've been predicting. Good driver, nothing ground breaking. Maybe now the sell out talk will cease.
    boggyman wrote:

I love the smaller uber carbon fiber head!!

My 10.5 with Blue beat out my Rogue with all time fave Green NV in it. Glad to hear you like it.

G400 Max is gone. Cortex is in. Done.
    Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
    TM M2 3 wood
    King Cobra F6 5 wood
    Mizuno T7 56
    Evnroll ER1
  • Harry PutterHarry Putter Members Posts: 164 ✭✭
    Maybe I'm jumping the gun here (and maybe numbers don't translate from driver to woods) but the launch angle and spin could be promising for a Cortex 3 wood or 5 wood!
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway XR16 Pro Driver[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F8 5 Wood[/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra King F7 3 Hybrid[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra Fly-Z+ 4-PW[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3 50, 56, 60[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]PING Sigma G Kushin and/or Cleveland HB #8[/font]

Maybe I'm jumping the gun here (and maybe numbers don't translate from driver to woods) but the launch angle and spin could be promising for a Cortex 3 wood or 5 wood!

I commented the same on their Instagram page. Needed a 3 wood.
    boggyman wrote:

I believe a new 3 wood is being tested on tour. It’s not a Cortex though, I think it was a D7 if I’m not mistaken. One of their staffers posted on Instagram awhile back.
    Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
    TM M2 3 wood
    King Cobra F6 5 wood
    Mizuno T7 56
    Evnroll ER1
    rfarrell51 wrote:

boggyman wrote:

I believe a new 3 wood is being tested on tour. It’s not a Cortex though, I think it was a D7 if I’m not mistaken. One of their staffers posted on Instagram awhile back.

Yes, you’re correct. I saw that. Cortex 3 wood would be awesome though. Whole line of d7 coming.
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,319 ✭✭
    dalehead wrote:

Rick Shiel's review was pretty much what I've been predicting. Good driver, nothing ground breaking. Maybe now the sell out talk will cease.

Ummmmmmm,,,,,,,,, "Sell out talk" ??? image/blink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />

ANY SITE GUIDANCE I OFFER, UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE, IS REFERRING TO THE "DESKTOP/FULL" VERSION

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 716 AP-1, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64 DGS300

Taylormade Spidex-X Blue/single white line (Today - always subject to change)
    Titleist AVX
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,444 ✭✭
    nsxguy wrote:

dalehead wrote:

Ummmmmmm,,,,,,,,, "Sell out talk" ??? image/blink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />

Assuming that poster meant that Rick would be considered a sell out if he gave the Cortex an incredible review, not that the Cortex will now sell out due to his review
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,319 ✭✭
    Holy Moses wrote:

nsxguy wrote:

dalehead wrote:

Assuming that poster meant that Rick would be considered a sell out if he gave the Cortex an incredible review, not that the Cortex will now sell out due to his review

Ahhhhhhhh. Gotcha. Thanks.

ANY SITE GUIDANCE I OFFER, UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE, IS REFERRING TO THE "DESKTOP/FULL" VERSION

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 716 AP-1, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64 DGS300

Taylormade Spidex-X Blue/single white line (Today - always subject to change)
    Titleist AVX
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭
    dalehead wrote:

its seem'd to me to be much more tempered than is his norm. i think he was trying to be very careful regarding the review of this club. probably a good thing.
    Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 9*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
    3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP18MMC FLIHI
    5-9 IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 48, 53, 58, 64
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
    BALL; various, ask me that day.