New Wilson CorTex driver

Comments

• QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 6,202 ✭✭

Nice looking head, but the ferrule doesn’t taper towards the shaft enough.

i didnt even notice that. that would not be a deal killer for me if everything else was in line.
    driver: SRIXON Z745
    fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
    3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP18MMC FLIHI
    5-9 IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX 4: 48, 53, 58, 64
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
    BALL; various, ask me that day.
  • radimanradiman Members Posts: 4,634 ✭✭
    QuigleyDU wrote:

Nice looking head, but the ferrule doesn’t taper towards the shaft enough.

i didnt even notice that. that would not be a deal killer for me if everything else was in line.

Same here. I don't like a really chunky ferrule, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. It is pretty thick though now that he mentioned it.
    Callaway Epic Flash 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members Posts: 30,360 ✭✭
    cradd10 wrote:

only lefty option is 10.5°........and $499.........no thanks

Agreed! $499 for a $99 driver in less than 3 months...
  • britonjmacbritonjmac Members Posts: 162 ✭✭

Got a chance to hit it at Golf Town during lunch hour. Sound is amazing. Feel is amazing. The head at address is beautiful.

Since it was a driver for a sale, and not a demo head, I didn't adjust it a lot not to damage anything, so it was not optimized for me (spin was too high), but it was already going farther than my M2.

With the right adjustments, that thing will be a really great driver for anyone who decide to give it a shot.

Did the face look open at Address? I heard some scuttlebutt that it's open in it's neutral setting.
    Driver - Nike Vapor Fly Pro 10.5*, Diamana 60s+ R
    3W - Callaway BBA 816, Matrix F8m2
    3h 19*, 4h 22*, both Callaway XR's, Adila Tour Red
    5i-PW, Srixon Z545, recoil 660r
    SM5 48*, 52* and 56*
    Odyssey Metal X Milled #1
  • ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer Members Posts: 909 ✭✭
    For 500 bucks a date with Melanie Collins better come with it.
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 6,202 ✭✭

cradd10 wrote:

only lefty option is 10.5°........and $499.........no thanks

Agreed! $499 for a $99 driver in less than 3 months...

it will take longer than three months. more like 9-10.
    driver: SRIXON Z745
    fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
    3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP18MMC FLIHI
    5-9 IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX 4: 48, 53, 58, 64
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
    BALL; various, ask me that day.
  • chungnjnchungnjn ClubWRX Posts: 91 ClubWRX
    I have my opinions about the driver, but I think it's ignorant to make assumptions about the Wilson brand or the golf business model. Forum members represent the minority of the golf market, look at what happened to Nike and TaylorMade in 2016, and a lot of us like their golf equipment. They are still making new clubs and executing it in ways that no one else is doing. Having said that, I have never bagged a Wilson driver, but I will certainly try the Cortex if I see it.
  • DatSliceDoeDatSliceDoe Camerons & Cobras One fairway overMembers Posts: 2,144 ✭✭
    Priced right out of the market, even with the wiz bang shaft.
  • tbone18tbone18 Members Posts: 486 ✭✭

Priced right out of the market, even with the wiz bang shaft.
    how is it priced out of the market? $499.99 is right in line with all the NEW drivers coming out.
    CALLAWAY BIG BERTHA 815 HYBRID 20,23 / MATRIX HM3 105
    MIURA CB-1007 5-PW / ALDILA RIP TOUR 115
    TAYLORMADE HIGH TOE 50,54,58
    PXG BAT ATTACK BLACK CENTER SHAFT

TESTING IN PROGRESS
    EPIC FLASH SUB ZERO 9* / ALDILA ROGUE SILVER 110 70 X-FLEX
    PING G410 PLUS 9* / PROJECT X EVENFLOW BLACK 75 6.5
    HONMA TW737VN 5-10 / ALDILA RIP TOUR 115
  • Golfer_1993Golfer_1993 Posts: 594 ✭✭
    britonjmac wrote:

Got a chance to hit it at Golf Town during lunch hour. Sound is amazing. Feel is amazing. The head at address is beautiful.

Since it was a driver for a sale, and not a demo head, I didn't adjust it a lot not to damage anything, so it was not optimized for me (spin was too high), but it was already going farther than my M2.

With the right adjustments, that thing will be a really great driver for anyone who decide to give it a shot.

Did the face look open at Address? I heard some scuttlebutt that it's open in it's neutral setting.

Just a touch open, like really just a touch. At least for me. It wasn't really an issue.
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,034 ✭✭

Was this a product of their reality tv show?

Winner of Driver vs Driver 2

Runner-up also received a nice consolation prize
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,008 ✭✭

A set of steak knives?
  • BubbBubb Members Posts: 1,302 ✭✭
    grm24 wrote:

A set of steak knives?

Rice-a-roni
  • joeshmojoeshmo Posts: 1,050 ✭✭
    best guess on how long it would take to dial in all the adjustments

maybe a week of range time and a few rounds on the course.

once it's tuned is there a way to pin the adjustments.
    Talent is the desire to practice
  • radiman wrote:

Joker91 wrote:

For all those people saying they wouldn't pay $500 for this driver, why not? If it performs for you as good or better than a different driver, why wouldn't you buy it? A lot of this talk is coming before people actually try it.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Wilson hasn't established themselves as a contender in the driver space. I cannot recall ever seeing a Wilson driver in play, ever... Add to the fact that Wilson will have a very limited resale market. We are a community of equipment nuts. Buying and selling equipment is a way of life around here. Then, just look at the disaster that was the Titan.
    Padraig Harrington won his 3 majors with a Wilson Staff DD6+ driver and a Grafalloy Prolite shaft
  • radimanradiman Members Posts: 4,634 ✭✭

radiman wrote:

Joker91 wrote:

For all those people saying they wouldn't pay $500 for this driver, why not? If it performs for you as good or better than a different driver, why wouldn't you buy it? A lot of this talk is coming before people actually try it.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Wilson hasn't established themselves as a contender in the driver space. I cannot recall ever seeing a Wilson driver in play, ever... Add to the fact that Wilson will have a very limited resale market. We are a community of equipment nuts. Buying and selling equipment is a way of life around here. Then, just look at the disaster that was the Titan.
    Padraig Harrington won his 3 majors with a Wilson Staff DD6+ driver and a Grafalloy Prolite shaft

He did. 10 years ago.
    Callaway Epic Flash 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
  • wilbur.kaywilbur.kay Posts: 91 ✭✭
    I think it is interesting how everyone abuses the show on the way through as a massive marketing splurge, and then says they wouldn't dare try the driver for $499 when measured against the other brands who all spend far more on marketing?? And that is at the same time as people saying tha the tech is the same as those OEMs anyway??

I know they don't have a reputation for drivers in recent history, but if they have the performance and a pretty new and innovative way of getting a driver to market, I think the retailers and golfers should give them a go.
    WITB 2017
    TM M1 '17 Tensei Blue X
    TM M2 15* KK X
    TM M3 3Hy Tensei Blue S
    TM P770 PX 6.0 3-PW Z grips
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58*
    TM Spider Tour DJ
    TM TP5
  • Rig14PortRig14Port Members Posts: 742 ✭✭

Rig14Port wrote:

TollBros wrote:

Honestly, it's a very deep face and the head is black so those are two things I actually really like about it. It is a Wilson though so it's $499 today and $179 by Jan 1.

Maybe Wilson sees a small crowd of fan boys that they know will purchase at this price point and they want to get as much as they can out of the gate. I'm sure they fully expect to be at $200 in a few months.

If they would have launched these with the Tensei Pro line of shafts they could have easily gotten the $500 price tag from the shaft junkies that would likely flip the heads.

Honest Question, You feel the tensei pro shafts are better than the fuji Atmos?

Im the opposite haha. I just like the feel of the Atmos better than tensei (at least the blue or white tensei)

No idea... haven't hit anything from the Tensei Pro line and I've only demoed the Atmos Black (which I did not like - felt dead) for a few swings.

Because of the Tensei lines popularity on tour I believe it garners more interest and therefore carries more value.
    Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke 70 6.5
    TM '17 M2 Tour 15* HZRDUS Smoke 80 6.5
    TM P790 UDI 2 Tour AD 95 X
    PXG 0311T 4-PW DG TI X100
    Vokey SM7 Raw @ 51*, 55*, 59* DG TI S400
    Odyssey RSX 001
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,844 ✭✭

Rig14Port wrote:

TollBros wrote:

Honestly, it's a very deep face and the head is black so those are two things I actually really like about it. It is a Wilson though so it's $499 today and $179 by Jan 1.

Maybe Wilson sees a small crowd of fan boys that they know will purchase at this price point and they want to get as much as they can out of the gate. I'm sure they fully expect to be at $200 in a few months.

If they would have launched these with the Tensei Pro line of shafts they could have easily gotten the $500 price tag from the shaft junkies that would likely flip the heads.

Honest Question, You feel the tensei pro shafts are better than the fuji Atmos?

Im the opposite haha. I just like the feel of the Atmos better than tensei (at least the blue or white tensei)

"Better" isnt something I can quantify. If a product suits you, fits you and you like the feel and performance of it, then it might just be what's "better" for you, regardless of name and price. I have my open personal opinions on things, but I'd prefer to simply present raw data and feedback from our testers, and the consumer can make the determination of what products interest them, and which ones do not.
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • Nard_SNard_S Members Posts: 3,120 ✭✭
    Beautiful shape and understated good looks. Love the deep face. I've got FG59's from 2008 and they are first rate in build quality, so I would not hesitate to try this driver out. They did good.
  • cz13X4cz13X4 Members Posts: 5,586 ✭✭
    edited Nov 14, 2018 #82
    I think a lot of people would be embarrassed to play a wilson club is what it comes down to, why I don't know....I guess they can't be associated with certain companies....damages their ego and their impression on other golfers. if it ticks all of the boxes for someone who cares what name is on it. I think it looks great, and based on that I will give it a try.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Ping g410 
    Cobra F8  VA Raijin
    Cobra F9 VA Raijin
    Ping S55 Accra 110 tour
    Ping glide stealth Accra 110 tour
    Bettinardi limited minovai
  • displaynamedisplayname Members Posts: 2,004
    dtowngolf wrote:

Hopefully there will be no legality issues with this as the last driver was a huge blunder for the company.

They addressed this head on this time around. Both finalist drivers were added to the conforming list prior to the finale of the show.
  • mukstermukster Is this the year? North of the 49thMembers Posts: 3,477 ✭✭
    It appears people are only prepared to accept popular OEM club maker hype and promises of a better game. How dare Wilson charge so much for their hype?

image/glare.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':glare:' />
    Callaway XR16 driver, 9 degrees, Diamana S+ shaft
    Callaway Epic Subzero 13.5, Mitsubishi Fubuki Z 65
    Mizuno ST180 5 wood, Tensei Blue shaft
    Nickent 3D 3 hybrid, generic shaft
    Srixon Z765 5-PW irons, KBS Tour V shafts
    Cleveland CBX 50* wedge
    Hogan Equalizer 54* wedge
    Mizuno S18 58* wedge
    Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,199 ✭✭
    mukster wrote:

It appears people are only prepared to accept popular OEM club maker hype and promises of a better game. How dare Wilson charge so much for their hype?

image/glare.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':glare:' />

If only they had copied Dragonfly TechnologyTM then maybe people would buy into it.
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution 10.5* - Proforce V2 HL - S
    TM M1 Tour Issue 14* - Maltby ProSeries Fwy - S
    W/S FG Tour F5 20*/23* - Fubuki  z80 Hybrid - S
    W/S FG62 5-P - DGS300
    W/S PMP Raw 52/56/60 - KBS  Hi-Rev 2.0
    Scotty Newport Mil-Spec Pro Platinum
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,710 ✭✭
    edited Nov 14, 2018 #86
    Hit the Cortex today. Like the look and feel. Felt a bit like Rogue, but couldn't seem to get any distance from it. Big upgrade from the Triton for sure! image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Bag under construction

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • trying2scratchtrying2scratch Members Posts: 1,053 ✭✭
    I hope Padraig puts it in play and starts stepping on it! Literally! With his new driver swing style.

https://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/2018/08/27/padraig-harrington-golf-swing/amp/
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,444 ✭✭
    Wilson Golf really hoping the Cortex could be spelled correctly
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • budcangolfbudcangolf Members Posts: 358 ✭✭
    Looks good and would actually consider gaming it unlike the Awful winner of the first DVD. That being said. 500 is a bit crazy IMO...
  • jefftomahawkjefftomahawk Members Posts: 990 ✭✭
    edited Nov 14, 2018 #90
    A bit classy looking, like the deeper face, that's a plus,

nice technology and a good shaft, worth a try

Hope CorTex doesn't become Invex of the past, for those that remember that name.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,433 ✭✭
    $499...they made one of the same mistakes as last year. They need to price it above bargain but below premium...