Worst Shot You Ever Had

Comments

• Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members  678WRX Points: 337Posts: 678 Golden Tee

On -, @Mych said:

I think I posted one before, but I have a new one. A few weeks ago I was 1 over through 17 holes, on pace to smash my best score of 79. Shanked a 6 iron approach into a pond, leading to a triple bogey on 18 for a 76. Worst shot of the last year by a large margin because of the significance.

So you were on pace for a 79, tripled the last hole and carded three shots better? Aren't you in one of my regular golf groups?

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MychMych Members  2139WRX Points: 381Posts: 2,139 Platinum Tees

On -, @Birdie Mac said:

On -, @Mych said:

I think I posted one before, but I have a new one. A few weeks ago I was 1 over through 17 holes, on pace to beat my previous best score (79). Shanked a 6 iron approach into a pond, leading to a triple bogey on 18 for a 76. Worst shot of the last year by a large margin because of the significance.

So you were on pace for a 79, tripled the last hole and carded three shots better? Aren't you in one of my regular golf groups?

No, I was on pace for a 73 (1 over). My best prior to that was a 79, so I was about to smash my personal best by 5+ strokes until the triple. Still set a new personal best at 76, but that hosel rocket stole a couple of strokes.

Posted:
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 9.5~ Ping Anser 4w ~ Ping G30 3h~ Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Cobra King Forged One 4-P ~ Cobra King 50-V, 56-WL wedges ~ Nike MC-05W putter w/ Gravity Grip
    6 club minimalist: Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ Nike MC-05W putter ~ Silo Club Carrier

On -, @Mych said:

On -, @Birdie Mac said:

On -, @Mych said:

I think I posted one before, but I have a new one. A few weeks ago I was 1 over through 17 holes, on pace to beat my previous best score (79). Shanked a 6 iron approach into a pond, leading to a triple bogey on 18 for a 76. Worst shot of the last year by a large margin because of the significance.

No, I was on pace for a 73 (1 over). My best prior to that was a 79, so I was about to smash my personal best by 5+ strokes until the triple. Still set a new personal best at 76, but that hosel rocket stole a couple of strokes.

Gotcha. I was playing lights out at a tournament recently until my mind locked up and I tripled the last three holes. Still finished in third place, and I have a story about 'the one that got away'.

Posted:
  • maamoldmaamold Matt Aamold Vancouver, WashingtonMembers  212WRX Points: 88Handicap: 6.1Posts: 212 Fairways

Funniest Shot - Wet fairway, 3-hybrid, topped the ball so badly I put spin on it. The ball pops up in the air above my head, spin takes it backwards and it lands 5 feet behind me. The spin then takes it forward and it comes to rest in the ball indentation it made in the mud at my feet.

Worst shot - 1st tee, out of breath from running to make the tee-time. Two high right shots over the trees and over the two lane road. I decide to take a drop 150 out. I proceed to shank the 7i over the road into an oncoming cars windshield. The dread of watching and knowing what was about to happen, the sound of impact, the panicked screeching of tires. And the exchange of insurance info...was the worst.

Posted:
  • MullymanMullyman United StatesMembers  83WRX Points: 69Handicap: 21Posts: 83 Fairways

On -, @DJGainer said:

What's the worst shot you've ever had? Maybe it's missing a 2 footer for your personal best or shanking the ball on the first tee, but mine was rocketing a drive through the reception tent I was to be married in later that day. I'm curious to what everyone else has experienced.

Hitting the ladies tee marker directly in front of me.

Posted:
    Post edited by Mullyman on
  • FootWedge16FootWedge16 Members  285WRX Points: 83Handicap: 100Posts: 285 Greens

I whiffed the ball going for a green in two hitting driver off the deck. I was consistently shooting in the 70’s at the time.

That was roughly 20 years ago and I still get crap about it from my friend that was there to this day.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • DeliSliceDeliSlice Members  18WRX Points: 18Posts: 18 Bunkers

Easily my favorite shot is also my worst shot.
    After talking a huge game with my coworkers about shooting +12 within my first 4 months of playing golf they decided that it was time to take a look at my golf game. First time ever playing with my coworkers and on the first tee everyone gets ready. Me having the ego similar to Megamind I decide that practice swings are for amateurs and went straight to the tee. Everyone hits a fairly good drive straight down the fairway and when it came to my turn. I take a backswing that I've never hit before and BOOM.

Chunked right behind the ball. Completely missed it. My perfect drive.

Posted:

Taylormade M5 Tour 430cc 9* Hazardous Smoke
    Titleist 917F2 13.5* Diamana 80 S
    Titleist 818H1 19* Fujikura Atmos S
    Titleist 4-GW 718 AP2
    Titleist Vokey SM7 54* 58* M Grind
    Rife Barbados Sunburst 32 in.

Callaway Chrome Soft

• macedanmacedan Members  418WRX Points: 129Handicap: 18Posts: 418 Greens

Using my 50* CBX for the first time and I had no idea what my carry yardage was with it, so I just thought maybe 100 yards. Middle fairway on the 18th I set up about 95 yards from the pin with about a 70 yard gap to clear water. Maybe 20 yards behind the pin is a patio with patrons watching shots in and the clubhouse with massive windows. I thinned one like I've never thinned before right online with the windows. Fortunately it stayed up long enough to go off the roof of the clubhouse so I could walk past the crowd as red as could be.

Posted:
    TaylorMade M2 '17 10.5*
    Taylormade M2 3W 15*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 5W 18*
    Taylormade P790 (4-PW)
    Taylormade Milled Grind 50/09
    Taylormade Milled Grind 54/11
    Taylormade Milled Grind 58/11
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Ball: Taylormade Project A
    Bag: Taylormade Flextech Crossover
    Cart: TGW Players 
  • Wander BreadWander Bread Members  81WRX Points: 35Handicap: 4.2Posts: 81 Fairways

This happened in high school golf tryouts back in 2005. Kid was playing in my group on the 4th hole - he wasn't very good and did no have much of a chance to make the team. Long, dogleg left par 4. Hits his drive in the right rough where there is a tree line. He is about 6 yards behind a tree, pretty skinny trunk so tries to hit a low punch left of the tree out into the fairway. Rips the **** out of this 5 iron right into the tree and it ricochets directly back into his crotch and he just drops to the ground immediately. Ends up rolling around screaming for what seemed like 2 minutes to the point where he was always crying. Still one of the funniest things that I have witnessed on a golf course.

Posted:
  • ETMorelandETMoreland Members  6WRX Points: 28Posts: 6 Bunkers

Can’t remember a specific shot. But I definitely remember a specific hole. I was on 17 Teebox on my home course shooting even par. It was a downhill par three. I made a seven then went on to the 18th that is a par four and made a five and finish six over. It would’ve been the first time I ever shot even par.

Posted:

Srixon Z 565 Driver -- HZRDUS Black Handcrafted 6.5
    Taylormade M6 3 Wood -- HZRDUS Smoke 6.5
    Titleist TMB 716 3 Iron (Bent to 17*)
    Ben Hogan FTX Pro -- KBS TOUR V X Stiff
    Cleveland RTX -3 (52, 56, 60)
    TaylorMade Daytona Tour - Cleveland Huntington Beach #6

• KnightPSKnightPS Members  291WRX Points: 46Handicap: 7.3Posts: 291 Greens

Last night I had a 4 footer to win our club's par 3 challenge. (They set the front nine up as all par 3) Three putted to lose the playoff by a stroke. I didn't sleep last night and every time I close my eyes I see it slide by on the right side and hear the groans.

Posted:
    TaylorMade M2 - Stock
    TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 - 3w
    Titleist 915Hd 21° Aldila Rogue Black 85H
    Titleist AP2 FST KBS Tour X 4-PW
    Vokey SM5 52' 56' 60'
    Bettinardi BB43

Advertisement
  • FrankHallFrankHall Members  22WRX Points: 32Posts: 22 Bunkers

I hit a drive into the face of the ladies t-marker - it was square and a flat face was pointing toward me - and the ball came screaming back at me, just nicking my right ear.

Posted:
  • avgjoe88avgjoe88 Members  39WRX Points: 41Posts: 39 Bunkers

I was playing a scramble at one of my favorite courses, Oak Ridge, in Brazil, IN. the 13th hole is a 93 yd par 3 over a little valley. After having had a few drinks before getting to the hole, lets just say I was feeling loose. I was the last of the group to tee off, everyone else either landed in front or to the right of the green. I grabbed my PW teed up, and smacked the ball. It landed on the green and rolled to about 6 inches from the hole. Long story short...I MISSED A 6" BIRDIE PUTT!

Posted:

*bump* Was playing last Saturday with some friends. One of the guys' shots ended up well left on a 160 yard par 3. His chip shot was short, ended up in a bunker, rolled forward, hit the rake and vanished. Luckily  I saw it, as he couldn't from where he was. Turns out it rolled into an exposed drainage pipe in the bunker, where it remains. None of us was willing to reach down there to root around for it. Not easy to lose a ball on a par 3.

Posted:
  • mackepamackepa #TheWRX Members  3736WRX Points: 288Posts: 3,736 Titanium Tees

It's not the worst shot I've ever hit by any stretch but it's one that sticks out in my memory. I'm coming down the stretch of a tournament and i'm 2 under standing on 16 and it's been a while since i've posted a below par round in competition. I know as soon as I get just one round under par i'll be back in the driver seat ready to do it again next week. Im standing on the tee of this par 3 that plays about 180 yards and its in to the wind and i'm in between 6 and 5 iron. There is water long so i decide to hit 6 hard with the idea that short is better than long. I make excellent contact and look up and my ball is traveling literally 60-70 yards left of my target, into someones back yard and out of bounds. It was the worst snap hook i've ever hit and to my memory it is the only time in my life that I've hit a ball out of bounds on a par 3. I think I ended up making triple and wound up finishing +1 on the day and was completely demoralized for the next 12 hours. Those out of bounds stakes never once came into my mind until that ball was in the air. I still have no idea how I was able to pull hook a 6 iron that far left. Unbelievable.

Posted:
    #TheWRX 12/11/16
    Epic Flash SZ 9* AD IZ 6
    Epic Flash SZ 15* AD IZ 8
    Epic Flash TC 18.5* Kai Li 80
    X Forged Utility 22* $-Taper
    Apex Combo 5-P - $-Taper
    MD4 52s, 56s, 60x - $-Taper
    Odyssey 10s
    Jones Utility Rover

• PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers  16538WRX Points: 874Handicap: Low-Mid SDPosts: 16,538 Titanium Tees

No doubt we've all had some seriously bad shots, but who retains them? After walking off 18, I remind myself what not to do (the worst) in the future, then forget the worst and finish with a review the best shots and replay them to ingrain the best.

Remember, recalling negative result is like looking in the wrong direction from where you want to hit the ball. The ball is going where you're looking not at the target.

Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
    Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
    Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, Steelfiber "S"
    Titleist 620 CB/MB 3i-PW, Steelfiber "S"
    SM6 F-52/8, Steelfiber "S"
    SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
    SC California Monterey
    ProV1

Advertisement
  • 2tall2golf2tall2golf Members  28WRX Points: 10Posts: 28 Bunkers

215 yard par 3 over water, buddy of mine thinned a 5 iron straight into the side of a goose.... retrieved the ball and it had feathers on it. Goose was still moving when we left!

Posted:
  • CachauloCachaulo Members  185WRX Points: 85Posts: 185 Fairways

High school golf has some amazing memories. Cold wet rainy PNW golf practice round and my opponent hits an unintentional stinger that hits the ladies tee marker 15 yards in front of us (8inch wood post with metal spike on the bottom), ball goes 20yds behind us into the woods OB and the tee marker flips up in the air a few times and sticks back in the ground spike down.

Posted:
  • tdennietdennie Members  89WRX Points: 23Posts: 89 Fairways

When I was younger I was playing at the local munie course and hitting the ball 5-10 yards further than normal. On the final hole I did not club down and I hit a ball straight into the side of a van and dented a door. The van was parked right behind the green.

Posted:
  • b.mattayb.mattay New WRX'er Members  605WRX Points: 122Handicap: +2Posts: 605 Golden Tee

I whiff a few shots completely every year without fail.

Posted:
    2017 M1 ( Grafalloy Blue 65X 45.75", Multicompound Std)

M3 (15, Grafalloy Blue 75X 43", Z-Cord)

Sonartec GS Tour (18, 380X 42", Z-Cord) OR MP-18 HiFli (19, 39.5", Modus 105X, Z-Cord)

Ping I200 (4i, PX 7.0, Z-Cord, Black Dot)

Ping S56 (5i-PW, PX 7.0, Z-Cord, Black Dot)

Ping Gorge Tour ([email protected], 56SS, 60TS, TI X100, Z-Cord, Black Dot)

White Hot Rossie (34.5", P2 Tour Grip)
  • Dr. HackDr. Hack Members  107WRX Points: 59Handicap: MidPosts: 107 Fairways

Playing at the Ocean Course. 12th hole approach, with the green built right up against a lake to the right. Pin tucked away on the right by the water. I have a 20 foot chip from the front of the green. My caddie was standing (balancing) on a thin wooden plank between the green and the water, directly to the right of the flag. I shank my shot badly, it goes flying off to the right toward the water....my heart sinks, and then my caddie reaches out and snags it out of the air with his hand. In one motion he smoothly cleans my ball and tosses it back with a wink. Ill always remember that.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • JDFishJDFish Pickerington, OhioMembers  953WRX Points: 183Handicap: 6.6Posts: 953 Golden Tee

I've hit a lot of really bad shots over the 40+ years I've been playing. The one that comes to mind happened a little over a year ago. I, along with a group of friends were playing in a Ryder Cup style event at a golf club in Michigan (tOSU v. Michigan/Michigan State). I was our teams number 2 man, but was in the process of a swing change during the season. The first match I was playing with our number 1 man and on the first hole of the match, I teed off second. I proceeded to hit the ball 6 inches in front of the tee, into the ground, and it popped back out right in front of my tee. Thankfully no one was videoing. There was a shocked silence and then laughter, including myself.

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
    Callaway Epic Flash 3+ wood Fujikura Ventus Blue TS 7S
    Callaway XR 5 wood
    Taylormade GAPR 3 Mid KBS 80 S
    Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
    Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
    Odyssey Stroke Lab #1 33"
  • caeye0710caeye0710 Members  137WRX Points: 69Handicap: .5Posts: 137 Fairways

Mine is easy. I was an assistant pro back in 2008 and also trying to Monday qualify for some pro tourneys. I recently started dating a girl and her father expressed interest in playing with me because people had told him I was "good". Step up on the first tee and I straight-up whiffed the driver. No idea what happened or how it happened. For some reason I was so nervous since he was the father of my girlfriend. Pretty sure I shot close to 90 that day.

It's all good - won a pro-am with him not long after that. Don't date the girl anymore, still play with him 4-5 times a year when he's in town.

Posted:
    M5 Tour Issuse 10.5* - Tour AD DI 7x
    Cally Mavrik 15* - Rogue White 130 70x 
    TM SIM Max 19* - Proforce V2 85x
    Miura MB-101 4-PW - Tour Issue S400
    TM MG2 Chrome 50, 54, 60
    TM Spider Black 34"
  • iNeedMoreGolfiNeedMoreGolf RiMembers  290WRX Points: 127Handicap: 14Posts: 290 Greens

I think i skulled a 7 iron it was... on a par 3. Went about a half foot off the ground. It was a night course in las vegas. Well vegas has tons of rabbits. Ball went right into the side of a small rsbbit and made an indent and killed it slowly. So yeah.

Posted:
  • TurboFadeTurboFade CaliforniaMembers  65WRX Points: 55Handicap: 11Posts: 65 Bunkers

I somehow hit a car right smack in the middle of their driver's side door on the fly while it was moving. To this day I have no idea how I was able to do that.

Posted:
    WITB

Taylormade M1 (2017) 9.5*
    Taylormade M2 3 wood (2017) 15*
    Taylormade M2 Rescue (2017) 19*
    Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW (2014)
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 56/10 S
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 60/08 C
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 34"
    CRAFT BEER
  • dmecca2dmecca2 Scranton, PAMembers  227WRX Points: 194Handicap: +3Posts: 227 Fairways

-4 through 11 holes in my first USGA mid-am qualifier. Made 2 bad bogeys on 12 and 13 but my head was still in it and i knew i was still in. Made a couple clutch par putts and on the 17th hole all I needed to do was put a driver down the middle and not miss right. I did and made bogey to miss by 1. That 1 bad swing cost me a nice trip down to Charlotte.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • KYJoeKYJoe Members  2WRX Points: 5Posts: 2 Starters

I was a young kid playing in Texas with a Ben Hogan 3 wood that I had saved up for. LOVED the club. Played it well and took pride in the fact that I bought it with my own, earned money. Although it was the summer in Texas and we had just wrapped up walking 18, my brother and I decided to play another 9. I was on the first tee and sweat was pouring off me. My 3 wood flew out of my hands during my follow through and into the middle of the pond behind me. I stared at the ripples in the pond debating the risk of water moccasins if I swam in to try and retrieve my treasured club. It was a very sad day.

Posted:
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members  1194WRX Points: 370Posts: 1,194 Platinum Tees

I have Wiffs , double touch chips, skulls, hosel rockets, I’ve hit a bird mid flight, a grounded goose, a chipmunk, my brother, my dad, my buddy Rays car, golf carts, . Those Green utility boxes on many occasions, I’ve bent shafts, had a four wood head fly off into a lake, hit rocks, roots and concrete. I hit the window of the 19th hole at Bethpage. So I’ve been everywhere man

Posted:
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • Broke100Broke100 Members  78WRX Points: 22Posts: 78 Fairways

Probably not my worst, but most amusing (and really bad) was toeing a drive into the cart which was due west of the tee box. Seeing three grown men hit the deck at in unison seemed humorous at the time. Only my pride was hurt.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Warrior42111Warrior42111 FloridaMembers  404WRX Points: 219Handicap: 19Posts: 404 Greens

Company scramble our 1st hole is a par 3 uphill, only real bailout is 25 yards short as the a trap in front. And a 4 lane road to the right. My group decides our tee order should be B D C A While I was celebrating cinco de drinko with the B group on the hole.

opened our round with el hosel right into the side of a truck

Posted:

Taylormade M6 10.5| Project X Even Flow Black X 6.5
    Taylormade M4 Tour 15 * |Mitsubishi Tensei CK White 70 X
    Ping G400 18
    | PING Alta CB 65 Stiff
    Callaway Apex 19 4-PW | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Callaway MD4 48* / 54* / 59* | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Odyssey Stroke Lab, Toulon Memphis 34"

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.