How great will Cameron Champ be?

Comments

• Vardon GripVardon Grip Members Posts: 433 ✭✭
    Right now it's all about Danny Willet. Danny this and Danny that.

If Cameron ever gets a Masters' invite then maybe we'll see something there, for now he's just a dude who won a glorified Web.com event, oh, and he hits it long.
  • pinhigh27pinhigh27 Members Posts: 9,575 ✭✭

If Cameron ever gets a Masters' invite then maybe we'll see something there, for now he's just a dude who won a glorified Web.com event, oh, and he hits it long.

If he hadn't won the Sanderson I'd say he still would be having a strong start.
    How to be in better shape for golf?
    Become a better athlete.
    Don't worry about golf specific.
    Compound lifts w/ linear progress
    Don't forget the mobility work.
    More results, more functional

Spin is not your enemy, everything is a trade-off.
    17 * 1700 goes really far, but doesn't go very straight or consistent
    8* 3500 goes really straight, but doesn't go very far
    Answer for most is somewhere in the middle.
    Pga tour driver avg launch conditions: 11* 2700
  • IVMIVM Members Posts: 454 ✭✭
    Nothing more than a solid career . He is no world beater but he will win his share .
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ClubWRX Posts: 3,191 ClubWRX
    BC33 wrote:

He's the latest JB Holmes or Jon Rahm until he proves he isn't, right? Remember how CBS gushed over them at Phoenix and Torrey?

Spieth had one of the greatest seasons in '16, what's he been doing since... Golf is hard, fields are deep. Give Champ some time, we'll see. I voted second from last...

Ditto. Right now he’s overhyped
    Taylormade M1 (2017) 440 9.5* tour w/Atmos Black TS 6x<br />Taylormade M6 Rocket 3 w/Atmos Black 7s<br />Taylormade p790 3-pw <br />Taylormade hi-toe 52-9 and 58-10 wedges <br />Taylormade Spider Mallet 72
  • LokiLoki Members Posts: 1,110 ✭✭
    edited Nov 21, 2018 #36
    Darth, did someone pay you to write this?
  • dropkickeddropkicked Members Posts: 482 ✭✭
  • BritboyBritboy Members Posts: 413
    The OP clearly stated it was too soon but has then laid out some really well defined classifications which allow us to have an interesting debate. Of course it's too soon and none of us 'know' but it's an interesting, well positioned thread and poll.

Personally I see many reasons to put him in the second category :-

He's not just long he's massively longer than anyone else with a controlled effortless beautiful swing

He's competed and finished well on a few courses that don't suit him at all eg RSM where he basically hit 2 iron off the tee all week (170mph ball speed !)

He seems to have a very calm temperament and a strong caddy relationship which resulted in some excellent course management at the RSM

His putting stroke is pure and simple

He chips well and should only improve

He plays off-speed irons and wedges controlling flight and working it both ways off a stock fade

He seems a strong competitor and good learner - not at all content with top 5s

He seems quite grounded and focussed on being the best he can be

He's got the coolest name in golf even when Rich Lerner insists on shortening to Cam (which really grates on me just now but hopefully will wear off)

So in summary I think he's pretty good and I'm a Brit image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Taylor Made M3 10.5* Kiyoshi White 65 Stiff
    Taylor Made M3 15* Kiyoshi White 75 Stiff
    Taylor Made M3 19* Hybrid Kiyoshi White 95 Stiff
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4-PW Project X 5.5
    Mizuno S18 50 54 & 58 Project X 5.5
    Taylor Made Spider Mini 34"
  • ProphetLogicProphetLogic Members Posts: 507 ✭✭
    BC33 wrote:

He's the latest JB Holmes or Jon Rahm until he proves he isn't, right? Remember how CBS gushed over them at Phoenix and Torrey?

Spieth had one of the greatest seasons in '16, what's he been doing since... Golf is hard, fields are deep. Give Champ some time, we'll see. I voted second from last...

Spieth's killer year was 2015. I think he won a couple times in 2016 but no majors. He won a major in 2017. What have you done for me lately though.
  • mosesgolfmosesgolf Members Posts: 6,833 ✭✭
    The next Brooks Koepka but longer.
    Taylormade M1 9.5 661 Tour Spec Stiff
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood 15 Kuro Kage Stiff
    Taylormade RBZ 18 Altus Stiff
    Adams Peanut 24* Altus Stiff
    Taylormade PSI Tour DGS300 Stiff 5-PW
    Taylormade Tour Preferred 52 56 60
    Taylormade SI Spider 72 38
  • toctoc Members Posts: 2,720 ✭✭
    It’s obviously number 1. He’s the most important person since Jesus
    Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying
  • marcwhumarcwhu Members Posts: 65 ✭✭

Not too impressed. Cauley and Cantlay have already done and will do far more.

I feel like this went over some people's heads. Well played.
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,558 ✭✭

Agreed but the media don't have much to talk about these November days, look all the hype for that exhibition in Vegas image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,013 ✭✭
    In the end the guys that win majors and become all-time greats have a few things in common.

1. Mental toughness

2. The ability to make clutch putts

3. Great ball striking

4. Work ethic, a whole bunch “want to”

5. Good luck and lack of injuries that derail the career before they accomplish a lot

6. Power, the more the better but this is the least important on this list.

I have zero idea yet if he has anything on this list except #6

Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • Golfer4LifeGolfer4Life Bob Parsons Bodyguard, Chump! ClubWRX Posts: 2,152
    Tryon, Ishikawa, Villegas, Wittenberg, Flanagan, Wolff, etc, etc, etc.
    PXG Derangement Syndrome, it is real.......<br /><br />Equipment:<br /><br />A bag full of PXG’s<br />Non Titleist Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009<br /><br />“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”
  • snizzlesnizzle Members Posts: 399 ✭✭
    Even John Daly, who considered himself more of an entertainer than athlete, won 2 Majors.

With Champ's advantage off the tee I am going to guess he can get hot and possibly win a few Majors too. The overall tour is moving in that direction but Champ's putting, fitness and all around game seems much more advanced than Daly when he first got on Tour.
  • c7015c7015 Members Posts: 2,078 ✭✭
    I don't think he is overhyped as he is just starting to get hype and has had a great start.

I don't think he will redefine the game. He probably won't even be the longest on tour in a few years.

I would be surprised if he got 7 wins but still think that is a great career on the PGA. CH3 or Rickie are classic examples of how hard the tour is but also how hard pressed you would be to find pro golfers who wouldn't take their earnings.
    915 D3 Rip Phenom 70g (S Flex)
    913 FD 3 wood Whiteboard (X Flex)
    915 F 5 wood Blueboard (S Flex)
    712 U 4 Iron | 714 AP2 5 Iron
    714cb 6-PW
    Vokey 52, 56, 60
    SC Newport 2.5
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,196 ✭✭

Krt22 wrote:

Why aren't we talking about Sam Burns?

Who?

In the other champ thread there was some fellow who was very adamant that Cam Champ was highly over rated, that his win was basically a gimme, and that Sam Burns was in fact the better player. Sadly that thread got sent to the cooler because some other fellow decided to go way off topic in bizarre fashion
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT Members Posts: 6,991 ✭✭
    I was one of those ; JB Holmes gonna be awesome! Alas that hasn't worked out too well....so I won't jinx CC with my prognostication BUT I like his chances....nvm
  • Pent08Pent08 Members Posts: 994 ✭✭
    edited Nov 22, 2018 #50
    His distance will allow him to play conservatively off the tee on most courses and yet still have short/mid irons on most holes. If he stays smart and patient, a surgical game plan will win him a lot of money and some tournaments along the way.

Unlike the attributes of his "up and coming" contemporaries, his distance is a real outlier that won't go away for a long time. Spieth's dominant putting, in contrast, hasn't returned for some time.
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,612 ✭✭
    Loki wrote:

Darth, did someone pay you to write this?

200.gif image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
    dropkicked wrote:

superfan.jpg

Don't make me post a Joaquin Niemann one!

Britboy wrote:

The OP clearly stated it was too soon but has then laid out some really well defined classifications which allow us to have an interesting debate. Of course it's too soon and none of us 'know' but it's an interesting, well positioned thread and poll.

Thank you.

• santasquatchasantasquatcha Members Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Well Stated darth, descriptions were well thought out.

I’ll put him in the Solid Career category.

His effortless distance can keep him in Ricky Fowler world ranking area (snags a few wins but is very very consistent... scores lots of ranking points). People Dogg on Ricky, but he’s been a top 12 golfer for a good amount of years. If cam does that, but snags a major and a few more wins I’ll call that a solid career.

Previous poster pointed out that majors are won with mental toughness, grit, clutch putting.... and lastly distance. I agree with that sentiment. And those moments on the big stages is where Cam will show himself.
    Mini-Driver, Taylormade Aeroburner,14*, Matrix 60g S
    4h - 5h, Adams Tech V4.0, S
    6 - PW, Titleist 712CB, modus120S
    GW, 49*, Adams Tech V4.0, S
    GW, 51*, Cleveland 588
    SW, 56-11*, Titleist Vokey SM4
    LW, 60-07*, Titleist Vokey SM4
    Putter, Odyssey White Hot #6
  • HankshankHankshank Members Posts: 1,523 ✭✭
    edited Nov 23, 2018 #55
    Everybody watching into their crystal balls....

My favourite on that theme is a book I received as a prize back around ¨87 at university called "the big programmers" or something like that. Written that same year. Guys like Bill Gates and Charles Simonyi wrote about how they went along making computer miracles. The last question everyone(like 20 world class programming and program businees gurus) got was something like "What will be big in the computer industry in 10 years". The only guys close was the few who said they didn't have a F*n idea. No one had a clue about WWW....

You never know. Maybe a Tiger journey or a Charlie 3 journey or a Magnus Persson-Atlevi journey.
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,747 ✭✭
    I wonder how this conversation would have gone about CH3 back in 2001-02.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • SimpSimp Members Posts: 2,908 ✭✭
    He's on pace to win one tournament a year forever.
    WITB
    G400 LST 10°
    VSteel 13°
    Adams Idea Pro 20°
    Adams Idea Pro 23°
    Mizuno MP18 SC's Fli-Hi 4&5
    Cleveland RTX3 50,54 & 60
    TaylorMade Spider Mini
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,013 ✭✭
    MattyO1984 wrote:

He was supposed to challenge Tiger, the next big thing. Not sure what was being said on the internet, but magazines like Golf Digest thought he would be a big deal.

Every time a big hitter comes along everyone gets excited because of all the potential. It's just like a pitcher that throws over 100 mph or a QB with a big arm.

Sometimes you get Patrick Mahomes, sometimes Ryan Leaf.

I think history proves that a resume of winning at all levels is a pretty good indicator in golf. Tiger, Phil, Jack, Jordan, Rory all won as juniors. Old school guys like Hogan and Trevino won money matches to pay the bills at an early age.

Champ has won a Web.com event and a minor PGA event, he was 1-2-1 in the Walker cup, the 11th ranked amateur in the world, he has made one cut in a major T-32nd at the US Open, he won 1 college tournament and had 6 top 10's. Your amateur career doesn't make or break your pro career, Tom Watson comes to mind as a unspectacular Am who came on as a pro. But nothing leads me to believe he will dominate the game, expect he hits it long.

Let's not break out the anointing old just yet. But ya never know...

Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • pinhigh27pinhigh27 Members Posts: 9,575 ✭✭
    dlygrisse wrote:

MattyO1984 wrote:

He was supposed to challenge Tiger, the next big thing. Not sure what was being said on the internet, but magazines like Golf Digest thought he would be a big deal.

Every time a big hitter comes along everyone gets excited because of all the potential. It's just like a pitcher that throws over 100 mph or a QB with a big arm.

Sometimes you get Patrick Mahomes, sometimes Ryan Leaf.

I think history proves that a resume of winning at all levels is a pretty good indicator in golf. Tiger, Phil, Jack, Jordan, Rory all won as juniors. Old school guys like Hogan and Trevino won money matches to pay the bills at an early age.

Champ has won a Web.com event and a minor PGA event, he was 1-2-1 in the Walker cup, the 11th ranked amateur in the world, he has made one cut in a major T-32nd at the US Open, he won 1 college tournament and had 6 top 10's. Your amateur career doesn't make or break your pro career, Tom Watson comes to mind as a unspectacular Am who came on as a pro. But nothing leads me to believe he will dominate the game, expect he hits it long.

Let's not break out the anointing old just yet. But ya never know...

Nothing besides the fact that his worst start so far since turning pro has been like 28th...and he already won. Not sure he's going to dominate but if you can play for a month as a rookie and worst you do is just out of top 25 that's way more indicative of future success than winning some tournament at 16
    How to be in better shape for golf?
    Become a better athlete.
    Don't worry about golf specific.
    Compound lifts w/ linear progress
    Don't forget the mobility work.
    More results, more functional

Spin is not your enemy, everything is a trade-off.
    17 * 1700 goes really far, but doesn't go very straight or consistent
    8* 3500 goes really straight, but doesn't go very far
    Answer for most is somewhere in the middle.
    Pga tour driver avg launch conditions: 11* 2700
  • wolfpackwolfpack Members Posts: 2,636
    How come there isn't a ...

"Yeah i'll tune in to watch him"

option?
    Cobra Bio Cell 11*
    F6 Baffler 17.5
    Hibore Hybrid 22*
    850 Forged 5-GW
    MP-T10 54, EYE 2 61
    Odyssey 7