Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Monte Scheinblum clinic

copperjeffcopperjeff Members Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just wanted to give a heads up to everyone in and around PHX, Monte will be having another clinic in Phoenix Feb 23-25.

Its always an awesome experience and well worth attending!
Golfing Ginger
So glad I picked an outside activity...

Comments

• ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just put my deposit down.
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • ferrispgmferrispgm Members Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff beat me to it....but definitely worth attending....if nothing else you will gain a different perspective on things and a different approach to improvement which makes a big difference.
    Driver: Callaway Epic 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD M9003
    FWY: Taylormade Rocketballz Tp 14.5*
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18*
    Irons: Srixon Z765 3-5 iron, z965 6-PW, Project X
    54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
    58*: Cleveland CG14 1 dot
    Putter: Taylormade Daytona Rossa with agsi.
  • RohlioRohlio Members Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Goddamn it... That is my wife and daughters birthday weekends.
    WITB:
    Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
    FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
    Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
    Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
    Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle
  • ShipwreckShipwreck Members Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Rohlio wrote:

Goddamn it... That is my wife and daughters birthday weekends.

What a wonderful present to get them, a weekend together while you go to a boring “golf seminar”.

Bag as of 14MAY2019
    Driver - Cobra F9 Speedback w/ Evenflow White 76x
    3w - Cobra F8 w/ HZRDS RED 6.5
    Hybrid - Cobra F7 w/ Fuji VTS Silver Stiff
    Irons - Titleist 718 AP2 w/ AMT S300 Tour White 4-9
    Wedges Titleist SM7 w/ AMT S300 Tour White 46/50/54/60
    Putter - Odyssey O-Works #7

• RohlioRohlio Members Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    My daughter is turning 4... Not going to be able to pull that off!
    WITB:
    Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
    FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
    Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
    Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
    Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle
    I’m thinking of going, need to try and find a place to sleep though. Not paying outrageous Scottsdale prices in Feb on top of the rest of stuff.

Bag as of 14MAY2019

• copperjeffcopperjeff Members Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shipwreck wrote:

I’m thinking of going, need to try and find a place to sleep though. Not paying outrageous Scottsdale prices in Feb on top of the rest of stuff.

Sleeping under the stars on the range out of the question?
    Golfing Ginger
    copperjeff wrote:

Shipwreck wrote:

Sleeping under the stars on the range out of the question?

****, I’ll haul my travel trailer out there if need be lol. Not sure the course would be happy though.

Bag as of 14MAY2019

• fore_lifefore_life Swung too hard, hit it too pure. Members Posts: 10,424 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Trying to swing this, it’s my bday weekend and my game has been in the dumps for a few years
    Ping G400 LST Ust Attas Earth 9f5
    M4 15* with bimatrix rocket X
    Titleist 21* H2 evenflow blue 6.5
    718 tmb 4 iron
    718 cb 5-pw amt x100 tour
    Vokeys
    Cleveland TA milled 1i

Various other putters currently in the closet,
    thinking about what they've done wrong,
    and how they've hurt me so.
    I certainly hope some of you can make it. Monte is one of the best and he is extremely easy to work with.
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    To guys who've been to more than one clinic: Did you find your 2nd/subsequent clinics as beneficial as the first?
    WITB
    OG Epic Sub Zero | HZRDUS Smoke 60X
    '16 M1 Tour Issue | Diamana B 70X
    '17 M1 Tour Issue 3h or GAPR Lo | Accra TZ6 M5
    P790 4i | Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW | Modus 120X
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS | Modus 120TX "Spinner" 
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS | Modus 120TX "Spinner" 
    Hi-Toe 58 | Modus 125 Wedge ( Glide Stealth 2.0 58/10SS for spring & fall)
    Bettinardi MC 360 Tour or Ardmore 2 
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 5.5 Bag
    Nike Tour Premiere

ferrispgm wrote:

I certainly hope some of you can make it. Monte is one of the best and he is extremely easy to work with.

Should I go for two days or three? Need some advice here....
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
    ebrasmus21 wrote:

ferrispgm wrote:

Based on my experience, the 3rd day was the most beneficial out of all the days. It dealt with course management and how to actually play golf. If you've already got a decent swing (looks like you do at 5.5) then day 3 is by far the most important.

Best shot I've ever learned from Monte is the bump and run with the hybrid from just off the green on a tight lie. Holy crap that move is clutch.
    WITB
    P790 4i | Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW | Modus 120X
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 5.5 Bag
    Nike Tour Premiere

Z1ggy16 wrote:

ebrasmus21 wrote:

ferrispgm wrote:

Based on my experience, the 3rd day was the most beneficial out of all the days. It dealt with course management and how to actually play golf. If you've already got a decent swing (looks like you do at 5.5) then day 3 is by far the most important.

Best shot I've ever learned from Monte is the bump and run with the hybrid from just off the green on a tight lie. Holy crap that move is clutch.

Yeah, I could totally see that being the case. Alright going to have to seriously consider staying for day #3.
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
    day 3 he does show you a lot of shots that are helpful....a lot of trouble/recovery shots such as an easier way for plugged bunker shots and fried eggs, or ball buried in greenside rough, tough pitch to uphill green, etc. Not totally necessary but beneficial for sure, plus you get to play a bit so that's fun.

Day 1 is intro, initial swing assessment and short game. Day 2 is more swing work and maybe some tweaks to what he tells you because he reviews your swings the night of day 1.

For your first time, I recommend doing 3 days....but what I did was only 2 my first year just to see how well his style worked for me then did the 3 days the following year so that's another option as well.
    ferrispgm wrote:

day 3 he does show you a lot of shots that are helpful....a lot of trouble/recovery shots such as an easier way for plugged bunker shots and fried eggs, or ball buried in greenside rough, tough pitch to uphill green, etc. Not totally necessary but beneficial for sure, plus you get to play a bit so that's fun.

Day 1 is intro, initial swing assessment and short game. Day 2 is more swing work and maybe some tweaks to what he tells you because he reviews your swings the night of day 1.

For your first time, I recommend doing 3 days....but what I did was only 2 my first year just to see how well his style worked for me then did the 3 days the following year so that's another option as well.

Thanks for the feedback - that helps. Do you guys do anything at the end of the day? Go out for drinks or dinner?
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • Double GeeDouble Gee Members Posts: 1,081 ✭✭
    Rohlio wrote:

My daughter is turning 4... Not going to be able to pull that off!

4 handicap? She'll love the clinic !
    Z1ggy16 wrote:

To guys who've been to more than one clinic: Did you find your 2nd/subsequent clinics as beneficial as the first?

Yes...as you go to more, he becomes more familiar with your swing and what works for you. Also there is a multi step process for fixing your swing. For example: First clinic my goal was to adjust my setup a bit and shorten my arm swing in the BS. Second Clinic was to get my right shoulder working out and around more which would have been difficult with a longer swing. The last clinic was to work on pressure shifts into my heels and increase my flexion into the downswing....again that would have been difficult if i didn't address the first two items beforehand.

Also...and this may just be for me...but I will typically go through a stretch of a few months where my game falls apart...this is normally months 2-4 or 5 after the lesson. Reason being that my body is trying to adapt other motions to the new move while still dealing with some of the existing faulty swing patterns. But after sticking with it, my ball striking has improved considerably. Jeff can attest at Aguila this year....went 40, 32 with a bogey at the last. Struggling to find the feel then found it on the back. Now it's a lot easier and my off days are still manageable.
  • ddettsddetts Roy McAvoy Sioux Falls, SDClubWRX Posts: 1,761 ClubWRX
    ebrasmus21 wrote:

ferrispgm wrote:

Thanks for the feedback - that helps. Do you guys do anything at the end of the day? Go out for drinks or dinner?

At the one I went to we only ended up doing a 2 day, and I'd say not getting to do the on course/playing lesson type stuff was probably the only disappointment I had from the clinic. I feel like the thought process, strategy, situational type instruction would be very beneficial.

As far as after activities, myself and another WRX'er from out of town (I live in town) went out and had drinks and dinner.

> See my current WITB
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Project X Even Flow Blue 6.5 65 gram
    TaylorMade '17 M2 Tour 15°, Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 17°, Project X HZRDUS85 6.0
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

Twitter-icon.png lDLcKyO.png?1
    ebrasmus21 wrote:

ferrispgm wrote:

We haven't in the last few at least not that i'm aware of...but maybe i was shunned? lol
    ferrispgm wrote:

Z1ggy16 wrote:

Yes...as you go to more, he becomes more familiar with your swing and what works for you. Also there is a multi step process for fixing your swing. For example: First clinic my goal was to adjust my setup a bit and shorten my arm swing in the BS. Second Clinic was to get my right shoulder working out and around more which would have been difficult with a longer swing. The last clinic was to work on pressure shifts into my heels and increase my flexion into the downswing....again that would have been difficult if i didn't address the first two items beforehand.

Also...and this may just be for me...but I will typically go through a stretch of a few months where my game falls apart...this is normally months 2-4 or 5 after the lesson. Reason being that my body is trying to adapt other motions to the new move while still dealing with some of the existing faulty swing patterns. But after sticking with it, my ball striking has improved considerably. Jeff can attest at Aguila this year....went 40, 32 with a bogey at the last. Struggling to find the feel then found it on the back. Now it's a lot easier and my off days are still manageable.

Yeah I'm considering doing a 2nd clinic because I think I've managed to ingrain what he told me to work on this summer, which was getting a deeper hip turn, and proper pressure shifting. Now I need to focus on my take away which I think is leading me to get very steep, which causes some kind of weird recovery move I do during my DS so I don't end up slamming my club into the ground. Ends up with me being a bit too in to out, and too shallow.

My only thing is I wish it was a bit more personal with a bit more 1 v 1 time. Maybe our clinic was an exception because it rained a ton on day 2 but I felt like I maybe got 10-15 mins of him watching my swing and getting active feed back. However, I did end up meeting a new friend through the clinic that I now play with regularly, so that was an added bonus.
    WITB
    P790 4i | Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW | Modus 120X
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 5.5 Bag
    Nike Tour Premiere

I remember I played with Ferris a few months after his Monte clinic and he was still working on some of the swing mechanics. When he connected with one as prescribed holy crap it was a thing of beauty. I really want to go to this one, just not sure if it’s in the cards. If I don’t I definitely want to make it a priority to go next time when/if he comes.

Bag as of 14MAY2019

edited Nov 27, 2018 #24
    Shipwreck wrote:

I remember I played with Ferris a few months after his Monte clinic and he was still working on some of the swing mechanics. When he connected with one as prescribed holy crap it was a thing of beauty. I really want to go to this one, just not sure if it's in the cards. If I don't I definitely want to make it a priority to go next time when/if he comes.

Going for A) the stories and B) to watch Monte carry driver 320 is almost worth the price alone. Looking back, I probably got more out of his short game and course management than anything else. I was athletic enough to make the face hit the ball with all my swing faults prior to and after the clinic, but the way I got around the course and my shot selection has changed vastly for the better.

Overall dropped my HC 9 shots and I don't think my swing has improved a ton mechanically. I have a few swing vids posted recently in the instruction sub forum... Still looks like @$;$. I just shift my pressures a bit better now.
    WITB
    P790 4i | Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW | Modus 120X
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 5.5 Bag
    Nike Tour Premiere

I personally think the best part of the clinic is watching some trash talker completely embaress himself in front of the group when he tries to hit a shot in front of everyone.

😬
    Golfing Ginger
    Whether you are deciding to go to the clinic for the 1st or 4th time, my opinion is that it is worth it.

If you go with the mindset of a 2 prong learning approach, I think you will get the most value. Prong one being learning about and implementing fixes to your own swing, and prong 2 learning about how to play golf in the short and long term.

Having said that, not everyone takes home as much value as they should. There is far more value to the content of the clinic than the price charged, but you HAVE TO be a good student in order to realize the full potential.

In my opinion, the 2 most important things you can do when attending one of these clinics is to; first have some way to easily take notes of as much as you can, and 2nd is to communicate! Ask questions during the clinic and follow up with the man himself afterwards with any questions/comments/concerns.
    Golfing Ginger
    Does anyone know what course it’s going to be at?

Bag as of 14MAY2019

• fore_lifefore_life Swung too hard, hit it too pure. Members Posts: 10,424 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Shipwreck wrote:

Does anyone know what course it’s going to be at?

It’s gonna be at Legacy which has a sweet facility.

Is it on the back range? If so, even better.

My buddy Jordan might come out from San Diego, he’s worked with Monte before and we might do this in lieu of a golf trip.
    Ping G400 LST Ust Attas Earth 9f5
    M4 15* with bimatrix rocket X
    Titleist 21* H2 evenflow blue 6.5
    718 tmb 4 iron
    718 cb 5-pw amt x100 tour
    Vokeys
    Cleveland TA milled 1i

Various other putters currently in the closet,
    thinking about what they've done wrong,
    and how they've hurt me so.
    edited Nov 28, 2018 #29
    copperjeff wrote:

I personally think the best part of the clinic is watching some trash talker completely embaress himself in front of the group when he tries to hit a shot in front of everyone.

��

How about the guy who argues with Monte and thinks he knows more? Not only is that person a buzz kill but usually they also suck.
    WITB
    P790 4i | Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW | Modus 120X
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 5.5 Bag
    Nike Tour Premiere

Z1ggy16 wrote:

copperjeff wrote:

��

How about the guy who argues with Monte and thinks he knows more? Not only is that person a buzz kill but usually they also suck.

That is always hilarious for more than 1 reason.

To answer Fore's question....Last year it was all at the front of the range....the year prior we split between front and back...it just depends on the facility and what's going on.

Jeff is right on his comments....a lot of people do exactly what Monte says not to do...work on it and a week later say it doesn't work and give up....you have to stick with it and give your body time to adjust. Thinking you can change anything swing wise in a few weeks is ridiculous. It takes pros months of hitting 1,000s of balls to make a change....working on it for an hour or two per week will take a long time but the change will happen.
    ferrispgm wrote:

Z1ggy16 wrote:

copperjeff wrote:

��

That is always hilarious for more than 1 reason.

To answer Fore's question....Last year it was all at the front of the range....the year prior we split between front and back...it just depends on the facility and what's going on.

Jeff is right on his comments....a lot of people do exactly what Monte says not to do...work on it and a week later say it doesn't work and give up....you have to stick with it and give your body time to adjust. Thinking you can change anything swing wise in a few weeks is ridiculous. It takes pros months of hitting 1,000s of balls to make a change....working on it for an hour or two per week will take a long time but the change will happen.

The guy in my clinic actually had the stones to tell Monte he was flipping during the short game chipping/pitching lesson (use the bounce method). Proceeds to go show Monte how to do a proper chip; plays the ball way back in stance, stabs at the ball and takes monster sized divot for a 15 yard chip and run. Good timesssssss.

Oh and he was a GREAT bunker player, too lol
    WITB
    P790 4i | Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW | Modus 120X
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 5.5 Bag
    Nike Tour Premiere

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file