GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE, PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

Does a goofy golf hole in one still count as a hole in one?

2
3

Comments

  • Bingo1976Bingo1976 Members  2603WRX Points: 302Handicap: 6.8Posts: 2,603 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #32
    Yes
    Posted:
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Matrix Ozik R[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]HiRev[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/font]
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Los AngelesMembers  6026WRX Points: 768Posts: 6,026 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #33
    i don't really understand the question. I guess, "to whom?" If it was my hole-in-one, it'd be what it is. Unique, a little outside the norm, a great story, but I guess I'd still want to hit one on a setup that was on the scorecard. But I'd probably prefer this to a regular ace because it's a great story.
    Posted:
    Ping GMax 400 10.5 TPT 17 LKP
    Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
    Mizuno MP4 4-W, c-taper lite, 105 R
    Macgregor 1025M 4-W, KBS tour v, 110 S
    Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W



  • FergusonFerguson Members  5930WRX Points: 3,392Handicap: 7.0Posts: 5,930 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #34
    <br />
    i don't really understand the question. I guess, "to whom?" If it was my hole-in-one, it'd be what it is. Unique, a little outside the norm, a great story, but I guess I'd still want to hit one on a setup that was on the scorecard. But I'd probably prefer this to a regular ace because it's a great story.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Not taking anything away from the holed shot - this is more than a typical "outside the norm" sort of circumstance. <br />
    It was a contrived hole. <br />
    <br />
    As far as saying you have a preference for this holed shot over a regular ace. <br />
    How many aces do you have to make that sort of "run of the mill" comparison sort of statement.
    Posted:
  • larrybudlarrybud Rochester Hills, MIMembers  11599WRX Points: 486Handicap: 3.4Posts: 11,599 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Nov 27, 2018 #35
    Ferguson wrote:
    <br />
    Lefty96 wrote:
    <br />
    I am honestly surprised so many people are being so negative about it. He hit from where the tee blocks were set up to the designated green and it when in the hole. That is how the hole was supposed to be played that day. It was a par 3. Its not like the tee was 20 yards away from the green. Its not like he said "Hey should I try to hit the 18th green from here?" and it went in. No, that was how the course was set up that day and he aced the hole. I am actually pretty disappointed in the brashness of the nay-sayers.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    "So many people" ????<br />
    <br />
    It was only me and LARRYBUD who didn't acquiesce.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    And I don't know now "negative" I am about it. Was it a good shot? Sure. I just personally wouldn't "count" it, whatever that may mean to the player. I mean it's not like there any official status or anything except checking it off your bucket list. Maybe it means something when someone asks "how many aces do you have?" ??<br />
    <br />
    To the people who would "count" it, how long of a hole would it have to be for it to "not count"? People seem to be stuck on the fact that it was 157 yards.<br />
    What about 100 yards?<br />
    80?<br />
    50?<br />
    <br />
    What makes one yardage any more or less legit?<br />
    <br />
    When someone asks what hole did you make an ace on, what's the answer? "Well, it was this goofy golf shamble. They setup this hole where...."
    Posted:
  • zonadubzonadub Members  342WRX Points: 105Posts: 342 Greens
    Joined:  #36
    There is no minimum yardage. He hit it from the designated teeing ground and the ball went into the hole
    Posted:
    How to play golf.
    Hit the ball.
    Find the ball
    Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
    Have fun.
    ...Chuck Hogan
  • SkiSchoolProSkiSchoolPro Members  858WRX Points: 130Handicap: 4Posts: 858 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #37
    I'd 100% count it- congratulations!<br />
    <br />
    FWIW, I'm pretty liberal with this, but there are a few cases I would question:<br />
    <br />
    1. Oversized hole would definitely be a negative asterisk and make it unofficial in my mind.<br />
    <br />
    2. A made up hole with crazy short yardage...a hole out in a shoot-out chip off would be a good story, but hard to count. <br />
    <br />
    Had your hole been 40 yards, then I'd be looking at your next as your first real one, but at 157, your next will be your 2nd.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • clp34vmpclp34vmp Cancel that mead Members  303WRX Points: 118Handicap: 7.7Posts: 303 Greens
    Joined:  #38
    In the discussion here on this particular shot, it seems like the vast majority fall on the side of yes, it was a hole in one. I'm guessing the determining factor for many of those is the yardage of this shot - 157 yards is absolutely a legit hole-in-one yardage. I think if the OP had come one here and told this exact story but with a 60 yard shot, most everyone would likely vote no. What if it was say 95 yards? I wonder how the yes's and no's would be split then. With this particular question, what do you think the yardage tipping point would be where people go from a no to a yes?
    Posted:
  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Los AngelesMembers  6026WRX Points: 768Posts: 6,026 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #39
    Ferguson wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    i don't really understand the question. I guess, "to whom?" If it was my hole-in-one, it'd be what it is. Unique, a little outside the norm, a great story, but I guess I'd still want to hit one on a setup that was on the scorecard. But I'd probably prefer this to a regular ace because it's a great story.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Not taking anything away from the holed shot - this is more than a typical "outside the norm" sort of circumstance. <br />
    It was a contrived hole.<br />
    <br />
    As far as saying you have a preference for this holed shot over a regular ace. <br />
    How many aces do you have to make that sort of "run of the mill" comparison sort of statement.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Haha. Busted. I have precisely ... zero ... aces of any kind and I've been playing since mid 60's. In fact I have only seen one, and that was last year. (3 Jack Par (who posts sometimes here) jarred a 7 iron from 170, tore the cup.) That's a lot of golf over a lot of time with a lot of people to have only seen one!
    Posted:
    Ping GMax 400 10.5 TPT 17 LKP
    Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
    Mizuno MP4 4-W, c-taper lite, 105 R
    Macgregor 1025M 4-W, KBS tour v, 110 S
    Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W



  • SkiSchoolProSkiSchoolPro Members  858WRX Points: 130Handicap: 4Posts: 858 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #40
    clp34vmp wrote:
    <br />
    In the discussion here on this particular shot, it seems like the vast majority fall on the side of yes, it was a hole in one. I'm guessing the determining factor for many of those is the yardage of this shot - 157 yards is absolutely a legit hole-in-one yardage. I think if the OP had come one here and told this exact story but with a 60 yard shot, most everyone would likely vote no. What if it was say 95 yards? I wonder how the yes's and no's would be split then. With this particular question, what do you think the yardage tipping point would be where people go from a no to a yes?<br />
    <br />
    Prior to the Tiger-Phil match, I think anything under a 100 or 110 would have gotten more nos. After that match, I guess the distance might have dropped some. My thinking is that I regularly play a par 69 that is just under 5900 from the tip with 6 par 3s as well as some longer courses in the area. None of the par 3s are less than 115 from the back tees, although there are some shorter holes up from the red tees.
    Posted:
  • 0351Duffer0351Duffer Members  140WRX Points: 35Handicap: 18Posts: 140 Fairways
    Joined:  #41
    It's legit, be proud you got one...
    Posted:
  • FourTopsFourTops Banned  1676WRX Points: 14Handicap: 5.7Posts: 1,676 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #42
    pdhoff wrote:
    <br />
    Every golfers worst nightmare. You make your first hole in one and there is something quirky about it that makes you question whether it's real. For most people this probably happens when they make an ace playing alone. For me, it happened in a goofy winter tournament setup......<br />
    <br />
    The annual Turkey Shoot.....a no pressure, mostly drinking event, where the pros get to have some fun in setting up the layout. What this entails is setting up most of the course to play backwards (example, play from 13 tee back to 12 green, or play a par 5 spread across multiple holes). So we get to what is our 16th hole of the day.....makeshift teebox setup behind the 9th green, hitting over a pond to the 18th green....157 yards. I knew I hit a good shot right at the flag but thought it might have been a little long (couldn't see the hole from the tee).....my playing partners looked around and sure enough my ball was in the hole........let the screaming and bourbon shots ensue.<br />
    <br />
    Now i'm faced with the tough question. Was this a real hole in one??? My playing partners definitely say yes, I'm inclined to say yes, but there were a few rumblings in the clubhouse about it not being legit.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Not legit....rule 772(a)(2) states you should have played the normal hole.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • rcb1586rcb1586 Members  402WRX Points: 98Handicap: 10Posts: 402 Greens
    Joined:  #43
    FourTops wrote:
    <br />
    pdhoff wrote:
    <br />
    Every golfers worst nightmare. You make your first hole in one and there is something quirky about it that makes you question whether it's real. For most people this probably happens when they make an ace playing alone. For me, it happened in a goofy winter tournament setup......<br />
    <br />
    The annual Turkey Shoot.....a no pressure, mostly drinking event, where the pros get to have some fun in setting up the layout. What this entails is setting up most of the course to play backwards (example, play from 13 tee back to 12 green, or play a par 5 spread across multiple holes). So we get to what is our 16th hole of the day.....makeshift teebox setup behind the 9th green, hitting over a pond to the 18th green....157 yards. I knew I hit a good shot right at the flag but thought it might have been a little long (couldn't see the hole from the tee).....my playing partners looked around and sure enough my ball was in the hole........let the screaming and bourbon shots ensue.<br />
    <br />
    Now i'm faced with the tough question. Was this a real hole in one??? My playing partners definitely say yes, I'm inclined to say yes, but there were a few rumblings in the clubhouse about it not being legit.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Not legit....rule 772(a)(2) states you should have played the normal hole.<br />
    <br />
    What rule is that?<br />
    I'm not an expert on the rule book but I can't even figure out what you are referencing.
    Posted:
    TM M3 460, Hzrdus Yellow 6.0
    TM M3 3HL, Fujikura Pro Tour spec 73X
    TM P790 3, Axivcore Black Hybrid TX
    Mizuno MPH5 4-6, DG Pro S300
    Mizuno MP15 7-PW, DG Pro S300
    Mizuno MPT5 50.07, 54.12, 62.08, DG Wedge
    Mizuno Bettinardi C-03H 34"
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers  29854WRX Points: 2,837Handicap: 0.0Posts: 29,854 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Nov 29, 2018 #44
    larrybud wrote:
    <br />
    Ferguson wrote:
    <br />
    Lefty96 wrote:
    <br />
    I am honestly surprised so many people are being so negative about it. He hit from where the tee blocks were set up to the designated green and it when in the hole. That is how the hole was supposed to be played that day. It was a par 3. Its not like the tee was 20 yards away from the green. Its not like he said "Hey should I try to hit the 18th green from here?" and it went in. No, that was how the course was set up that day and he aced the hole. I am actually pretty disappointed in the brashness of the nay-sayers.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    "So many people" ????<br />
    <br />
    It was only me and LARRYBUD who didn't acquiesce.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    And I don't know now "negative" I am about it. Was it a good shot? Sure. I just personally wouldn't "count" it, whatever that may mean to the player. I mean it's not like there any official status or anything except checking it off your bucket list. Maybe it means something when someone asks "how many aces do you have?" ??<br />
    <br />
    To the people who would "count" it, how long of a hole would it have to be for it to "not count"? People seem to be stuck on the fact that it was 157 yards.<br />
    What about 100 yards?<br />
    80?<br />
    50?<br />
    <br />
    What makes one yardage any more or less legit?<br />
    <br />
    When someone asks what hole did you make an ace on, what's the answer? "Well, it was this goofy golf shamble. They setup this hole where...."<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Were stuck on 157 because that's what it was. So it's relevant to the question<br />
    <br />
    Yes if it was 50 I'm sure responses would be different especially on a makeshift course<br />
    <br />
    But 157 is legit , that's a respectable par 3 yardage. Reasonable people can agree that 50-75 yards is not a common par 3 yardage
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 10 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Ping G410 LST 14.5 w/ Ping Tour 75
    Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Tour Proto Hybrid
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-Works Red Tank #7
  • GMRGMR Members  1054WRX Points: 105Posts: 1,054 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #45
    For you guys tied up in the length argument... another hypothetical: Mr. Tour pro who averages 320 off the tee decides to play a friendly round with his wife and mother, and in the interest of being sociable leaves his driver at home and plays up on the red tees. He jars a shot on one of the par 3s...does he count it as a hole in one? For those in the "yes but with an asterisk," what if it happens to be a very long hole that plays 160 even from the ladies tees... does that change anything?
    Posted:
  • DFS PFDDFS PFD Members  1702WRX Points: 964Handicap: 1.8Posts: 1,702 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #46
    Did you play a single hole of golf, and only use one shot to hole the ball? If you answered yes, then you made a hole in one. Let everyone else try and conjure up whatever bizarre criteria they can, but you made a hole in one.
    Posted:
    SIM 8* Ventus Black 6X
    G410 LST  HZRDUS Smoke Hulk 6.5TX 60g 
    Epic Flash SZ 15* Tensei PW 80TX
    2-PW Ping Blueprint DG X7
    55* SM8 Raw
    61* SM8 Raw
    L.A.B 2.1 

  • larrybudlarrybud Rochester Hills, MIMembers  11599WRX Points: 486Handicap: 3.4Posts: 11,599 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #47
    MtlJeff wrote:
    <br />
    larrybud wrote:
    <br />
    Ferguson wrote:
    <br />
    Lefty96 wrote:
    <br />
    I am honestly surprised so many people are being so negative about it. He hit from where the tee blocks were set up to the designated green and it when in the hole. That is how the hole was supposed to be played that day. It was a par 3. Its not like the tee was 20 yards away from the green. Its not like he said "Hey should I try to hit the 18th green from here?" and it went in. No, that was how the course was set up that day and he aced the hole. I am actually pretty disappointed in the brashness of the nay-sayers.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    "So many people" ????<br />
    <br />
    It was only me and LARRYBUD who didn't acquiesce.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    And I don't know now "negative" I am about it. Was it a good shot? Sure. I just personally wouldn't "count" it, whatever that may mean to the player. I mean it's not like there any official status or anything except checking it off your bucket list. Maybe it means something when someone asks "how many aces do you have?" ??<br />
    <br />
    To the people who would "count" it, how long of a hole would it have to be for it to "not count"? People seem to be stuck on the fact that it was 157 yards.<br />
    What about 100 yards?<br />
    80?<br />
    50?<br />
    <br />
    What makes one yardage any more or less legit?<br />
    <br />
    When someone asks what hole did you make an ace on, what's the answer? "Well, it was this goofy golf shamble. They setup this hole where...."<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Were stuck on 157 because that's what it was. So it's relevant to the question<br />
    <br />
    Yes if it was 50 I'm sure responses would be different especially on a makeshift course<br />
    <br />
    But 157 is legit , that's a respectable par 3 yardage. Reasonable people can agree that 50-75 yards is not a common par 3 yardage<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    That's what I'm asking, what's your dividing line that you say no? I thought that it's a makeshift course doesn't matter?
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • FourTopsFourTops Banned  1676WRX Points: 14Handicap: 5.7Posts: 1,676 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #48
    rcb1586 wrote:
    <br />
    FourTops wrote:
    <br />
    pdhoff wrote:
    <br />
    Every golfers worst nightmare. You make your first hole in one and there is something quirky about it that makes you question whether it's real. For most people this probably happens when they make an ace playing alone. For me, it happened in a goofy winter tournament setup......<br />
    <br />
    The annual Turkey Shoot.....a no pressure, mostly drinking event, where the pros get to have some fun in setting up the layout. What this entails is setting up most of the course to play backwards (example, play from 13 tee back to 12 green, or play a par 5 spread across multiple holes). So we get to what is our 16th hole of the day.....makeshift teebox setup behind the 9th green, hitting over a pond to the 18th green....157 yards. I knew I hit a good shot right at the flag but thought it might have been a little long (couldn't see the hole from the tee).....my playing partners looked around and sure enough my ball was in the hole........let the screaming and bourbon shots ensue.<br />
    <br />
    Now i'm faced with the tough question. Was this a real hole in one??? My playing partners definitely say yes, I'm inclined to say yes, but there were a few rumblings in the clubhouse about it not being legit.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Not legit....rule 772(a)(2) states you should have played the normal hole.<br />
    <br />
    What rule is that?<br />
    I'm not an expert on the rule book but I can't even figure out what you are referencing.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Not a sanctioned golf hole per the course.
    Posted:
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  13926WRX Points: 2,746Handicap: 0.9 >< 3.8Posts: 13,926 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #49
    Two words ... le git <br />
    <br />
    The hole was set up harder than normal for heaven's sake
    Posted:

    Ping G400 LST 11* Blueboard Matte 53x
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* Blueboard OG 63x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Kuro Kage 80s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Kuro Kage 90s
    Callaway Apex UT 30* AD DI 105x
    Mizuno 919t 6-PW UST Recoil 110s
    Vokey SM2 50-54tvd-59tvd-64 s400
    Titleist Scotty X7M

  • WalterWalter Belgian Golfer Members  700WRX Points: 104Handicap: 11.0Posts: 700 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #50
    Great story and great hole in one !!!! :-) cheers!!!
    Posted:
    Countdown for Augusta!!!
  • bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers  4945WRX Points: 723Posts: 4,945 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #51
    And you have the only hole in one that will ever be had on that hole!
    Posted:
  • bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers  4945WRX Points: 723Posts: 4,945 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #52
    FourTops wrote:
    <br />
    rcb1586 wrote:
    <br />
    FourTops wrote:
    <br />
    pdhoff wrote:
    <br />
    Every golfers worst nightmare. You make your first hole in one and there is something quirky about it that makes you question whether it's real. For most people this probably happens when they make an ace playing alone. For me, it happened in a goofy winter tournament setup......<br />
    <br />
    The annual Turkey Shoot.....a no pressure, mostly drinking event, where the pros get to have some fun in setting up the layout. What this entails is setting up most of the course to play backwards (example, play from 13 tee back to 12 green, or play a par 5 spread across multiple holes). So we get to what is our 16th hole of the day.....makeshift teebox setup behind the 9th green, hitting over a pond to the 18th green....157 yards. I knew I hit a good shot right at the flag but thought it might have been a little long (couldn't see the hole from the tee).....my playing partners looked around and sure enough my ball was in the hole........let the screaming and bourbon shots ensue.<br />
    <br />
    Now i'm faced with the tough question. Was this a real hole in one??? My playing partners definitely say yes, I'm inclined to say yes, but there were a few rumblings in the clubhouse about it not being legit.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Not legit....rule 772(a)(2) states you should have played the normal hole.<br />
    <br />
    What rule is that?<br />
    I'm not an expert on the rule book but I can't even figure out what you are referencing.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Not a sanctioned golf hole per the course.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Or, not a sanctioned rule per the ROG.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers  29854WRX Points: 2,837Handicap: 0.0Posts: 29,854 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #53
    larrybud wrote:
    <br />
    MtlJeff wrote:
    <br />
    larrybud wrote:
    <br />
    Ferguson wrote:
    <br />
    Lefty96 wrote:
    <br />
    I am honestly surprised so many people are being so negative about it. He hit from where the tee blocks were set up to the designated green and it when in the hole. That is how the hole was supposed to be played that day. It was a par 3. Its not like the tee was 20 yards away from the green. Its not like he said "Hey should I try to hit the 18th green from here?" and it went in. No, that was how the course was set up that day and he aced the hole. I am actually pretty disappointed in the brashness of the nay-sayers.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    "So many people" ????<br />
    <br />
    It was only me and LARRYBUD who didn't acquiesce.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    And I don't know now "negative" I am about it. Was it a good shot? Sure. I just personally wouldn't "count" it, whatever that may mean to the player. I mean it's not like there any official status or anything except checking it off your bucket list. Maybe it means something when someone asks "how many aces do you have?" ??<br />
    <br />
    To the people who would "count" it, how long of a hole would it have to be for it to "not count"? People seem to be stuck on the fact that it was 157 yards.<br />
    What about 100 yards?<br />
    80?<br />
    50?<br />
    <br />
    What makes one yardage any more or less legit?<br />
    <br />
    When someone asks what hole did you make an ace on, what's the answer? "Well, it was this goofy golf shamble. They setup this hole where...."<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Were stuck on 157 because that's what it was. So it's relevant to the question<br />
    <br />
    Yes if it was 50 I'm sure responses would be different especially on a makeshift course<br />
    <br />
    But 157 is legit , that's a respectable par 3 yardage. Reasonable people can agree that 50-75 yards is not a common par 3 yardage<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    That's what I'm asking, what's your dividing line that you say no? I thought that it's a makeshift course doesn't matter?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Hmmmm, for me if it was sub 100yds I might question it.<br />
    <br />
    I think anything over 100yds counts though I'd probably have a disclaimer if it was a re-jigged course and like 107<br />
    <br />
    150+ counts no matter what<br />
    <br />
    That's my un-scientific take
    Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 10 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Ping G410 LST 14.5 w/ Ping Tour 75
    Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Tour Proto Hybrid
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-Works Red Tank #7
  • FergusonFerguson Members  5930WRX Points: 3,392Handicap: 7.0Posts: 5,930 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #54
    If it was so clear cut and "legit", I wonder why the OP would come and ask the forum. <br />
    <br />
    Let me answer - 'cause it ain't a real hole and it ain't a real hole in one.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Notwithstanding the goofy course setup, the assumed mass consumption of Löwenbräu and it being a manufactured tournament, the holed shot (sans a witness) was an impressive stroke.
    Posted:
  • zonadubzonadub Members  342WRX Points: 105Posts: 342 Greens
    Joined:  edited Nov 30, 2018 #55
    This brings up another question along the same lines...<br />
    <br />
    If a senior is playing forward tees and shoots his age, is it legit?<br />
    <br />
    For those of you quibbling about the length of the hole, is it required to play the back tees to call a round shooting your age?<br />
    <br />
    If not, how far forward can you play and be legit? White tees? Our course also has green tees, gold tees and silver tees.<br />
    Blue tees are over 7000 yards, white 6600+, green 6300, gold 6000 and silver less than 5000.<br />
    <br />
    If you are 80 years old, do you have to play from 7000 yards to call an 80 shooting your age?<br />
    What if you do it from the gold tees at about 6000 yards?<br />
    <br />
    Apologies for thread-jacking. <img src='http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Posted:
    How to play golf.
    Hit the ball.
    Find the ball
    Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
    Have fun.
    ...Chuck Hogan
  • FourTopsFourTops Banned  1676WRX Points: 14Handicap: 5.7Posts: 1,676 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #56
    zonadub wrote:
    <br />
    This brings up another question along the same lines...<br />
    <br />
    If a senior is playing forward tees and shoots his age, is it legit?<br />
    <br />
    For those of you quibbling about the length of the hole, is it required to play the back tees to call a round shooting your age?<br />
    <br />
    If not, how far forward can you play and be legit? White tees? Our course also has green tees, gold tees and silver tees.<br />
    Blue tees are over 7000 yards, white 6600+, green 6300, gold 6000 and silver less than 5000.<br />
    <br />
    If you are 80 years old, do you have to play from 7000 yards to call an 80 shooting your age?<br />
    What if you do it from the gold tees at about 6000 yards?<br />
    <br />
    Apologies for thread-jacking. <img src='http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /><br />
    <br />
    <br />
    No jacking...good question. The answer is no...does not matter because the tee has it's own rating. Now if you play from the ladies tee then that could cause serious issues with the USGA parliament. The fact is folks should be playing tees that, on average, leave a 7 iron to the green because that mimics what the pro's play.
    Posted:
  • Need4spdNeed4spd Members  1611WRX Points: 213Posts: 1,611 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Dec 2, 2018 #57
    I see almost everyone here being very supportive so I’m sorry to be the one to **** in your cereal, but no, it does not. How is this that much different than a hole out from the fairway? I’ve played courses that have “family tees” or set tee boxes up in the fairway for someone that wants to basically play the course as a par-3 course. If I were to do that and hole out, would that be a hole-in-one too? Not hardly. <br />
    <br />
    Playing from a temporary tee box, due to the regular one undergoing maintenance let’s say, is COMPLETLEY different than what we’re talking about here. In that case the integrity of the hole’s design is still somewhat intact, whereas there is no hole to speak of here, at least not one that was designed by a golf course architect during the courses inception, not one with a rating, etcetera. <br />
    <br />
    It’s a cool concept (the event itself that is) and it’s a neat story, but definitely not a hole-in-one in my opinion.
    Posted:
    In the Hoofer

    TaylorMade M5 10.5° Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S
    TaylorMade M2 15° Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70-S  
    TaylorMade RSi TP UDI #2 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-95 S  
    Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-PW KBS Tour $-Taper 120 S
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50.12F, 54.08M, 58.08M KBS Tour 120 S
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist ProV1X
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • JustsomeguyJustsomeguy Members  1316WRX Points: 254Handicap: 15Posts: 1,316 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #58
    Goddamn right you did. There was sufficient yardage, you struck the ball, and it went in in one shot. <br />
    You're not recording a backwards setup for your handicap, neither are you carding it in a tournament, but it's definitely an ace.<br />
    By the rules of the event you were playing, it is certainly an ace, and by any objective standards not preoccupied with false universalism, it is also an ace.<br />
    Congrats. I'll have any Irish whiskey, rocks.
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 10.5* Project X Evenflow Blue 65, R - CAMO!
    Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Cobra F9 18.5* 5w Project X Evenflow Blue 65, R
    Titleist 915H 21* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Callaway Steelhead XR 5-AW Recoil 660 F3, R
    Vokey SM7, 56*/8 M Grind, Recoil ZT9 460 F3, R
    Miura 1957, 59* C Grind, Nippon Modus 110, Wedge Flex
    Cleveland Smart Square Blade
  • FourTopsFourTops Banned  1676WRX Points: 14Handicap: 5.7Posts: 1,676 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #59
    My pro said if there's NOT a windmill on the hole...it counts.
    Posted:
  • jslane57jslane57 Members  3929WRX Points: 27Handicap: <5Posts: 3,929 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #60
    zonadub wrote:
    <br />
    This brings up another question along the same lines...<br />
    <br />
    If a senior is playing forward tees and shoots his age, is it legit?<br />
    <br />
    For those of you quibbling about the length of the hole, is it required to play the back tees to call a round shooting your age?<br />
    <br />
    If not, how far forward can you play and be legit? White tees? Our course also has green tees, gold tees and silver tees.<br />
    Blue tees are over 7000 yards, white 6600+, green 6300, gold 6000 and silver less than 5000.<br />
    <br />
    If you are 80 years old, do you have to play from 7000 yards to call an 80 shooting your age?<br />
    What if you do it from the gold tees at about 6000 yards?<br />
    <br />
    Apologies for thread-jacking. <img src='http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /><br />
    It just has to be 18 holes! Do it on an executive course, awesome! Just know, like the hole-in-one on a trick hole, or a double eagle on a hole with a temporary green (like mine), if you're bragging about any of these totally legit feats, explanations will eventually be provided along with some good nature laughing...
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • FergusonFerguson Members  5930WRX Points: 3,392Handicap: 7.0Posts: 5,930 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #61
    FourTops wrote:
    <br />
    My pro said if there's NOT a windmill on the hole...it counts.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    florida.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Read the rules.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Posted:
3

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.