Phil Mickelson 25 years inside top 50

KRAMER1997KRAMER1997 Members Posts: 34
https://www.golfchannel.com/news/phil-mickelsons-streak-hits-25-years-inside-owgr-top-50

Pretty impressive considering how much equipment has changed throughout his career.

Comments

• cdnglfcdnglf Members Posts: 3,189 ✭✭
    edited Nov 26, 2018 #2
    An impressive accomplishment that won't be equalled for at least fifteen years or so, and likely a lot longer than that.

I suspect Rory has the second longest active streak, at about 10 years.

Ernie is probably second all-time, at ~20 years?
  • rightslicerightslice Members Posts: 151 ✭✭
    Yeah, he's good.
  • paulshackpaulshack Members Posts: 1,344 ✭✭
    That's absolutely insane

Will miss him when he's gone (off the pga tour)
  • MidMOGolferMidMOGolfer Members Posts: 208
    I hope he gets a US Open before he's finished. Otherwise the 18th at Winged Foot will haunt him forever.
    D/3W/H: Taylormade M2 2016
    4I-AW: Taylormade P770
    GW/LW: Taylormade EF
    P: Seemore FGP Mallet
    Ball: Taylormade TP5X
  • JDW3JDW3 Members Posts: 615 ✭✭
    That's a really impressive stat. Phil has always been my favorite.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max
    3 wood: Titleist TS2
    Hybrid: Titleist 818 19* & 22*
    Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 16
    Wedges: Vokey sm7 50*, 54*, 60*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2
    Ball: Titleist Prov 1x
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,818 ✭✭
    Unbelievable achievement from Phil. People will say that it takes luck in that he has avoided injuries and what not over his career and this is a certain element of that but above all else it takes talent and hard work and for that he has to be applauded. I have my spells of being a Phil fan and then not being a Phil fan but you can't argue with his ability and longevity.

I hope he gets a US Open before he's finished. Otherwise the 18th at Winged Foot will haunt him forever.

In that case, it will haunt him forever!
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,386 ✭✭
    Even more impressive is that Phil was able to accomplish this while dealing with psoriatic arthritis for a good part of his career.
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members Posts: 496 ✭✭
    Always a bridesmaid and never a bride. Hard to believe Phil never made it to #1 in all that time, and especially considering some of the also-rans that did.
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,766 ✭✭
    Birdie Mac wrote:

Always a bridesmaid and never a bride. Hard to believe Phil never made it to #1 in all that time, and especially considering some of the also-rans that did.

25 years in the top 50 is amazing. The fact that he also has never been #1 in that time is even more amazing.
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Members Posts: 11,857 ✭✭
    He is an incredible player who seems to get minimal respect from a large chunk of golf fans

Probably one of the top 3 greenside/short game players that has ever played the game. Maybe #1

I can't remember who said it but there seems to be longevity to players with longer and more flowing swings ... Sammy Snead and Tom Watson pop to mind

Having good genetics for your spine doesn't hurt either in this game
    Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Oban Kiyoshi White 65s
    Ping G25 7w 20* Fubuki Tour 73x
    Ping G25 4h 23* Diamana White 92s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping s55 6-PW Fujikura mci 100s
    Vokey sm2 50* 54* 59* 64* DG s400 Onyx
    Piretti Matera Elite (torched)
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 19,892 ✭✭
    Some of the runner up finishes he has had were heartbreaking. Some other golfers would have tanked afterward.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5
    Callaway BBA 816 16
    Mizuno CLK 19, 22
    Mizuno JPX 900HM 5-Lw
    PING Sigma G Tyne
    Srixon Z-Star
    WITB
  • IVMIVM Members Posts: 454 ✭✭
    That is a great achievement and without Tiger Woods you wonder how great a career he would have had . It is amazing that he is still winning at his age and I hope he can stay competitive until he makes the Senior Tour . He truly possess one of the greatest short games of all times . Keep going Phil .
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,406 ✭✭
  • dciccorittidciccoritti An inch an hour, 2 feet a day Toronto, CanadaMembers Posts: 1,572 ✭✭
    edited Nov 27, 2018 #15
    IVM wrote:

That is a great achievement and without Tiger Woods you wonder how great a career he would have had . It is amazing that he is still winning at his age and I hope he can stay competitive until he makes the Senior Tour . He truly possess one of the greatest short games of all times . Keep going Phil .

Only 4 more wins. Doesn't look like Tiger was in his way much except of course for that one Tournament in 2002 ;-)

9964514.jpg

Titleist TS2
    Titleist 718 MB 5-PW
    Taylormade MG 52 SB-09 | 56 SB-12 | 60 SB-10
    Callaway PM Grind 19 64.10
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
    Bridgestone Tour BXS

• IVMIVM Members Posts: 454 ✭✭
  • Cincy_KenCincy_Ken Members Posts: 81 ✭✭
    Birdie Mac wrote:

More bad luck than anything. Phil spent 270 weeks at #2 and Tiger was #1 for all those weeks. His best runs never overlapped with Tiger down turns lke the ones that allowed Duval to take over #1 in 1999 or Vijay in 2004.

As a Phil fan the disappointing thing is he never was able to consistently figure out the tee shot. I think he's likely a top 10-15 golfer all time and if he had found a way to become an above average driver he probably could have been a legitimate Tiger rival.
  • ShrinerShriner Members Posts: 67 ✭✭
    Absolutely an amazing statistic to show consistency over the course of a year for an inconsistent golfer tournament to tournament. He just seems like has that joy for the game and when he is playing well; you know he will be near the top of the leaderboard.
  • Conrad1953Conrad1953 Members Posts: 15,061 ✭✭
    25 consecutive years in the top 50 is an incredible accomplishment in my eyes. Wow. Golf is a hard

game and to play at such a high level so consistently is amazing.