What's your take on napa putters?

Comments

• Rob McHughRob McHugh Rob ClubWRX Posts: 963 ClubWRX
    Okay, here are the two Bettis mentioned so far, but for me the third one has been conspicuous by it's absence in this thread and would probably be my pick of the three. :-)

Rob
  • bazinozbazinoz Posts: 498 ✭✭
    edited Dec 1, 2018 #33
    bazinoz wrote:

And the Betti's are also top notch. I think they have 2 or 3 different 8802/Napa styles (SS6 and BB2 are both this style. Think there is another one as well).

Rob McHugh wrote:

Okay, here are the two Bettis mentioned so far, but for me the third one has been conspicuous by it's absence in this thread and would probably be my pick of the three. :-)

Rob

Those Mizuno Betti's are gorgeous Rob. And the BC7 the pick of them.

I was alluding to a 3rd Betti 8802/Napa in my earlier post but couldn't remember which it was.

Although I'm sure there is another Standard Betti that is also a Napa style besides the SS6 and BB2. I'll have to google around. Maybe my mind is playing tricks.
    bazinoz wrote:

bazinoz wrote:

And the Betti's are also top notch. I think they have 2 or 3 different 8802/Napa styles (SS6 and BB2 are both this style. Think there is another one as well).

Rob McHugh wrote:

Rob

I was alluding to a 3rd Betti 8802/Napa in my earlier post but couldn't remember which it was.

Although I'm sure there is another Standard Betti that is also a Napa style besides the SS6 and BB2. I'll have to google around. Maybe my mind is playing tricks.

Hello Baz. No, if you are going mad, then I am also. I believe you may be thinking of a Studio release called the Studio B or SSB? Same as the BB2 in that it has a FIT face but no insert. Can’t recall if it is regular SS or DASS. :-)

Rob
  • egcarpenteregcarpenter Members Posts: 25
    edited Dec 1, 2018 #35
    ghoonk wrote:

Just picked one up in Borealis Black from a local seller 3 weeks back. Headcover was drier than a mummy, and it's taken me a while to get used to it. My gamer is a Miura MGP-03, but I'm growing oddly fond of this napa-style putter - 20 for 20 on an artificial 6' putting strip isn't bad for my level of play.

What seems to work for me is the relatively heavier head weight (the SS6 is 358g, while most other napa-style heads are in the 320-335g range)

As it stands, I've never seen anyone else game a napa putter in over 10 years of playing golf, and now I'm wondering how many of you guys do, and what you used to game before switching

Also, aside from the SS6, are there any other napa putters out there that don't break the bank? I've looked at the SC Napa (all below 350g, and $$$ with risk of eBay fakes) and the Wilson 8802 (nice and relatively cheap, would make a nice beater napa if it wasn't only 320g).

What's my take? My take is be very careful my friend or you'll end up with 250+ in your basement image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Gamed the same 1998 SC AOP Napa for 20 years. Sometimes I'll switch for a round or two (usually just a different Napa) but always come back. Before the AOP it was a mid-80's 8802 and that's all I've every used. Good luck w your search & enjoy!
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 3,794 ClubWRX
    If you're interested on this line of putter, do look into the Arnold Palmer Original, I think there was several version of this, the Last two version were done by Wilson and Callaway.

These two are heavier and I gamed one for years. Still take it out sometimes. Nice feel to this putter than the original 8802 which was a bit lighter than the newer version. They also come with leather wrap grip w/ a flat front.
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Members Posts: 5,007 ✭✭
    Been gaming this old relic since I first started playing approximately 25 years ago. It's an Arnold Palmer AP30r:

USGA Index: ~2

WITB:
    2018 Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 S
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green S
    Ping G 22 Hybrid (2 flat) - Ping Tour 80 S
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Ping Glide 2.0 - SS 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade Ho Toe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball

ghoonk wrote:

Just picked one up in Borealis Black from a local seller 3 weeks back. Headcover was drier than a mummy, and it's taken me a while to get used to it. My gamer is a Miura MGP-03, but I'm growing oddly fond of this napa-style putter - 20 for 20 on an artificial 6' putting strip isn't bad for my level of play.

What seems to work for me is the relatively heavier head weight (the SS6 is 358g, while most other napa-style heads are in the 320-335g range)

As it stands, I've never seen anyone else game a napa putter in over 10 years of playing golf, and now I'm wondering how many of you guys do, and what you used to game before switching

Also, aside from the SS6, are there any other napa putters out there that don't break the bank? I've looked at the SC Napa (all below 350g, and $$$ with risk of eBay fakes) and the Wilson 8802 (nice and relatively cheap, would make a nice beater napa if it wasn't only 320g).

What's my take? My take is be very careful my friend or you'll end up with 250+ in your basement image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Gamed the same 1998 SC AOP Napa for 20 years. Sometimes I'll switch for a round or two (usually just a different Napa) but always come back. Before the AOP it was a mid-80's 8802 and that's all I've every used. Good luck w your search & enjoy!

Oh my good lord. I think we have a winner....
    Rob McHugh wrote:

bazinoz wrote:

bazinoz wrote:

Rob McHugh wrote:

Rob

Hello Baz. No, if you are going mad, then I am also. I believe you may be thinking of a Studio release called the Studio B or SSB? Same as the BB2 in that it has a FIT face but no insert. Can’t recall if it is regular SS or DASS. :-)

Rob

Bingo! I think that must be it Rob. Thought I must have been remembering something else, but that must be what I was thinking.

Studio B SB3.

CARLSONOFF057.jpg
  • Zach HeusserZach Heusser Marshals Posts: 5,151 mod
    edited Dec 4, 2018 #40
    I prefer to call them 02’s not Napa’s 😊. If you are into them check out my witb. Very addicting...
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur University <br /><br />My WITB<br /><br /><br /><br />http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/<br />@Zheusser on twitter
  • DrJACOBDrJACOB Members Posts: 166 ✭✭
    The "SLIPPERY SLOPE ARGUMENT" is a real thing and this is your warning about buying another 8802 style putter!! LOL

KJ
    TM M1 10.5 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X
    Ping Stretch 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7X
    Titlesit 910H 19*
    Miura Bades 4-PW
    Miura Wedges 51,55,59
    Callaway PM 64
    BB2 or at least one of my 8802 style putters
  • dparkdpark Members Posts: 2,506 ✭✭
    bazinoz wrote:

ghoonk wrote:

Yup, I am tapping out now... Can't compete with that collection...
    Old stuff:
    1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver
    1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood
    1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
    1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E
    1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
    1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
    Cobra ZL 10.5 driver
    Adams 5050 16 fairway wood
    Adams A2P 20* hybrid
    Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW
    Titleist SM6 wedges 52, 56, 60
    Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Napa
  • ghoonkghoonk The Hoarder Members Posts: 186 ✭✭

ghoonk wrote:

The slippery slope has found me - I just found a clean SS6 v2 (not Borealis Black, the bronze one) and jumped all over it. Already caught **** for the Cleveland (Designed By), it will get fun when the SS6 shows up....
    [font=georgia,serif]Srixon Z785 w/ stock Miyazaki Mahana (S) shaft
    Srizon F65 4w (17*) w/ stock Miyazaki Kaula (S)
    Srixon H65 2h (16*) w/ stock Miyazaki Kaula (S) shaft
    Miura MC501 4-PW w/ TT S300 AMT White (S) shaft
    Miura 50*, 54*, 58* Forged black wedges w/ KBS Tour matt black wedge shafts
    Miura MGP-M3 putter
    [/font]
    dpark wrote:

bazinoz wrote:

ghoonk wrote:

Yup, I am tapping out now... Can't compete with that collection...

i doubt anyone can. On the upside, I'm glad you guys are posting these pics of your collection - i'm using it to justify my prudence to SWMBO image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />
    Miura MGP-M3 putter
    [/font]
    had the chance to try an O Works #9 vs the Ping Sigma G (Tess?) yesterday. The feel of the #9 impressed me but the Tess just blew me away with the cleaner look. Less distracting visual elements, and the feel of the G was phenomenally soft.

With another 3 rounds over the last 4 days (it was a long holiday weekend here in Dubai), I've discovered something different in how i putt with my Miua MGP-M3 vs the BB SS6 - with the former, I do better just walking up the the ball and putting by feel. With the latter, i find myself trying to line up the shot a lot more and be more deliberate with my stroke. I'm also making more putts with the Miura, especially lag putts. I'm not giving up on the SS6 though.
    Miura MGP-M3 putter
    [/font]
    Here you go mate. More justification to the Missus why need you more blades ha ha!

Rob
    bazinoz wrote:

ghoonk wrote:

Agreed! :-)

But two can play!!

Rob

ghoonk wrote:

That is a truly magnificent collection of steel my friend - congratulations! :-)

Rob
    *punches out*

I'm glad i met you guys. Now I know i'm not obsessive nor extreme image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Miura MGP-M3 putter
    [/font]
    Rob, Zach and Mr carpenter are batting well above my league.

What gorgeous collections. I need the "Homer Drooling" meme image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • Zach HeusserZach Heusser Marshals Posts: 5,151 mod
    bazinoz wrote:

What gorgeous collections. I need the "Homer Drooling" meme image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Fun thread ! Glad I’m not alone 🤪
    Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur University <br /><br />My WITB<br /><br /><br /><br />http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/<br />@Zheusser on twitter

bazinoz wrote:

Fun thread ! Glad I’m not alone 🤪

Ha ha - “you can leave this room and not buy another putter again ...” :-)

Rob
  • Chief IlliniwekChief Illiniwek Members Posts: 2,726 ✭✭
    cardoustie wrote:

I used to have a YES putter in the Napa shape .. fantastic putter w great roll and feel

I've never been able to get my Yes! Nicky out of the bag!
  • teevonsteevons Members Posts: 2,189 ✭✭
    I also have some love for 8802/IM style heel shafted putters, just a little bit!

Not displayed very well but have been collecting many years,more vintage than newer

Over 300 different variations on the rack

Pic of Australian Dint also

Love the feel of them, was at PGA store yesterday where they had over 1000 putters displayed to try and buy, Not one 8802 style or heel shafted in stock, very sad, no desire to try any of them
  • uwhockey14uwhockey14 Posts: 257 ✭✭
    ghoonk wrote:

I love them, however its a done deal that I end up with 40 putts if I ever take one onto the course for 18 holes!!!
    Titleist 913D2/D3 (8.5) Stiff Diamana
    Titleist 906F2 15* Aldila NV Stiff
    Cleveland LDi 21*
    Titleist 681 4-PW (Project X 5.5)
    Mizuno MP T-Series Forged Wedges (56,60)
    Cobra Greg Norman (U-Model) Putter "Boss of the moss"
    Ping Hoofer (Wisconsin Badgers)
    Driver Cover (Black Lab)
    3-Wood Cover (USA knit pom pom)
    Putter Cover (Team USA 2016 Ryder Cup)
  • uwhockey14uwhockey14 Posts: 257 ✭✭

Whats the putter with the TM-6 on the bottom?
    Titleist 913D2/D3 (8.5) Stiff Diamana
    Titleist 906F2 15* Aldila NV Stiff
    Cleveland LDi 21*
    Titleist 681 4-PW (Project X 5.5)
    Mizuno MP T-Series Forged Wedges (56,60)
    Cobra Greg Norman (U-Model) Putter "Boss of the moss"
    Ping Hoofer (Wisconsin Badgers)
    Driver Cover (Black Lab)
    3-Wood Cover (USA knit pom pom)
    Putter Cover (Team USA 2016 Ryder Cup)
  • Misc1600Misc1600 ClubWRX Posts: 902 ClubWRX
    uwhockey14 wrote:

Whats the putter with the TM-6 on the bottom?

Tad Moore
    teevons wrote:

I also have some love for 8802/IM style heel shafted putters, just a little bit!

Not displayed very well but have been collecting many years,more vintage than newer

Love the feel of them, was at PGA store yesterday where they had over 1000 putters displayed to try and buy, Not one 8802 style or heel shafted in stock, very sad, no desire to try any of them

As they say in Australia "Crikey!".

There are some serious 8802 collections in this thread.
    teevons wrote:

Good thing it’s Christmas, only three words required here: Ho Ho Ho!!

Great collection mate, love a man that displays like me and good to see some old Aussie steel in there! :-)

Rob
  • skralyskraly ClubWRX Posts: 1,526 ClubWRX
    edited Dec 8, 2018 #60
    teevons wrote:

With all of those rt handed 8802 styles there is no way you need that LH Dint. On top of which it looks like you have a couple of them. Sell one my way image/golfer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':golfer:' />
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,151 ✭✭
    Rob McHugh wrote:

Here you go mate. More justification to the Missus why need you more blades ha ha!

Rob
    Geez and I thought my 8802 collection was big!! But what is funny in my "8802" collection I do not have a real 8802 Wilson in it--- The only one that I have that says 8802 is the "Little David" one--- But I have everything from original Mac Ironmasters, TP Mills and Cleveland Designed By. Funny thing I have always loved those putters but do not putt that often with them. My main gamer is an Old Rusty Santa Fe that is money. Out of all the ones I have the Lil David , Jack Nicklaus JN 100 and an original Ironmaster are my favorites
    Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stock Regular shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Diamana Reg
    Irons 3 thru 9 KZG Kyoei Forged CB 1st generation Swing Science 400 Graphite Senior flex
    PW Cleveland Special 588 45* bent to 47* Stock Cleveland Steel Shaft
    SW Cleveland 588 56* DG Sensicore S-300 ( old dependable)
    Putter- 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bulls Eye fluted shaft rusty and lead taped as heck named "Rusty"
    Bag-- Jones Classic non stand
    Founding Father of Outlaw Golf Association member #1---- Play what you want **** the USGA & R&A
    Redneck Hippie Golf When the Tailgate drops the BS Stops
    Vintage
    Toney Penna Model 1 Aldila HM-40
    3&4 woods Macgregor DX Keyhole steel TT R
    Irons 2 thru 9 1954 Hogan Precision TT green or 1980 Macgregor VIP 3 thru PW Hogan Apex #2 shafts " The famous Bastardized Macs"
    PW Hogan White Cameo 50* Hogan Apex Wedge
    SW Macgregor LRA 56* S-400 DJ Special-- Will rotate out when old dependable does not behave
    Putter ( subject to change) Lil David 8802
    Bag Old School Power Bilt orange mini staff