Hilton Head Golf Trip

I am headed with a group of guys to Hilton Head on MLK weekend. We're looking to get 3-4 rounds in while we are down there with 36 one day. The golf ability ranges from a 3 index to plays 5 times a year. Does anyone have any good course recommendations?

Comments

  • HackerDaveHackerDave Members Posts: 1,404 ✭✭
    Take a look in the Carolina's section. A LOT of threads there. I guess I would start by asking if you have a budget and where are you staying? Sea Pines is a good time. The Jones at Palmetto Dunes would be a good fit. Wide fairways and big greens.
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,711 ✭✭
    Old South, just off the island, would be a good course for a wide range of players.
  • irishmike27irishmike27 Members Posts: 145 ✭✭
    I’ll second Old South.
  • krtgolfingkrtgolfing Members Posts: 1,043 ✭✭
    Budget?
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero Driver
    Taylor Made M2 3 Wood
    Taylor Made M2 3 Hybrid
    Taylor Made PSI 4 Iron - Approach Wedge
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54* & 60*
    Odyssey Works Red #1W S
  • jmconnell4jmconnell4 Members Posts: 97 ✭✭
    HackerDave wrote:


    Take a look in the Carolina's section. A LOT of threads there. I guess I would start by asking if you have a budget and where are you staying? Sea Pines is a good time. The Jones at Palmetto Dunes would be a good fit. Wide fairways and big greens.




    We are staying in an Air BNB on the beach on the north end of the island. Rough budget for 4 rounds would be $300-$500. The mix of golfers is quite large so ideally we are looking for some courses that offer some challenge for the better golfers but still keep it fun for the guys that dont play much.
  • cvhookem63cvhookem63 Fujikura Ventus Experience ETXClubWRX Posts: 4,703 ClubWRX
    The RTJ Oceanfront Course may be a good fit as mentioned above. It provides some challenge but does have wide fairways. That may eat a big chuck of your budget though because it will be $120+ to play there.
    WITB Link
    TaylorMade M3 440 9* Fujikura Speeder 857 TR-X
    NIKE Vapor Fly 14* Fujikura Rombax P95X
    NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4 Fujikura Pro 95 Tour Spec X
    TaylorMade P770 5-9 X100
    NIKE OVEN Engage 46* X100 | Engage 50*SS / 55*SS / 60*DS S400
    SCOTTY CAMERON Select Squareback
  • ChrisGio315ChrisGio315 Members Posts: 431 ✭✭
    We went to Hilton Head last year for our annual trip and played Hilton Head National, Fazio and Jones courses at Palametto Dunes... All 3 were great courses and did not cost a ton (80-100 per round)
    Titleist TS2 (10.5*)
    Titleist TS2 3w (15*)
    Titleist TS2 5w (18*)
    Titleist 718 AP1
    Titelist SM7 56*
    Custom Newport Select 2.5
    Titleist AVX

    WITB - http://www.golfwrx.c...tb-chrisgio315/
  • krtgolfingkrtgolfing Members Posts: 1,043 ✭✭
    Hilton Head National and Old South would be two I would recommend. Add on the Palmetto Dunes courses, or maybe splurge at one of the Sea Pines courses.
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero Driver
    Taylor Made M2 3 Wood
    Taylor Made M2 3 Hybrid
    Taylor Made PSI 4 Iron - Approach Wedge
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54* & 60*
    Odyssey Works Red #1W S
  • HackerDaveHackerDave Members Posts: 1,404 ✭✭
    jmconnell4 wrote:

    HackerDave wrote:


    Take a look in the Carolina's section. A LOT of threads there. I guess I would start by asking if you have a budget and where are you staying? Sea Pines is a good time. The Jones at Palmetto Dunes would be a good fit. Wide fairways and big greens.




    We are staying in an Air BNB on the beach on the north end of the island. Rough budget for 4 rounds would be $300-$500. The mix of golfers is quite large so ideally we are looking for some courses that offer some challenge for the better golfers but still keep it fun for the guys that dont play much.




    OK. Sea Pines usually runs a special that allows you to play Atlantic Dunes and Heron Point for $199. A good deal in my opinion. They just do a great job. Palmetto Dunes is probably going to be around $100 that time of the year. A good track for everybody. That leaves one more course. As mentioned above, Old South and Hilton Head National would be very good selections. They are off island but since you are staying the north side of the island thats no big deal. Another option is the Hills Course at Palmetto Hall and in Hilton Head Plantation, Oyster Reef and CC of HH are both good options. I would suggest you avoid the Cupp course at PH. It's a great track but the guys who only play a few times a year will be very unhappy.
  • jmconnell4jmconnell4 Members Posts: 97 ✭✭
    HackerDave wrote:

    jmconnell4 wrote:

    HackerDave wrote:


    Take a look in the Carolina's section. A LOT of threads there. I guess I would start by asking if you have a budget and where are you staying? Sea Pines is a good time. The Jones at Palmetto Dunes would be a good fit. Wide fairways and big greens.




    We are staying in an Air BNB on the beach on the north end of the island. Rough budget for 4 rounds would be $300-$500. The mix of golfers is quite large so ideally we are looking for some courses that offer some challenge for the better golfers but still keep it fun for the guys that dont play much.




    OK. Sea Pines usually runs a special that allows you to play Atlantic Dunes and Heron Point for $199. A good deal in my opinion. They just do a great job. Palmetto Dunes is probably going to be around $100 that time of the year. A good track for everybody. That leaves one more course. As mentioned above, Old South and Hilton Head National would be very good selections. They are off island but since you are staying the north side of the island thats no big deal. Another option is the Hills Course at Palmetto Hall and in Hilton Head Plantation, Oyster Reef and CC of HH are both good options. I would suggest you avoid the Cupp course at PH. It's a great track but the guys who only play a few times a year will be very unhappy.




    Thanks for the info. I've made a few calls and gotten some help. I have heard good things about Bear Creek GC as well. They are offering a pretty good rate of $50ish (including lunch and a beer!) I have also heard that Cupp course is crazy, my course back home is a Cupp so I'm tempted to make them tough that one out
  • HackerDaveHackerDave Members Posts: 1,404 ✭✭
    edited Nov 28, 2018 #12
    I personally like the Cupp course, but it can bite you in the ... Just a heads up. Service there is horrible. The half way houses are closed and they often have one beverage cart servicing two courses....assuming they bother to send it out. Its a shame, because they used to do a good job. But the courses are in good shape. You just have to make sure the flasks are full before you arrive :-)



    In the 24 years we have owned a place down there, I have never played Bear Creek. I was having a drink at a local watering hole and a local guy was spreading the love for Bear Creek. I did play Dolphin Head and it was very forgettable. I think I will play Bar Creek on our next trip.
  • T-MACT-MAC Members Posts: 1,958 ✭✭
    edited Dec 3, 2018 #13
    I'm a local resident on HHI. Bear Creek is a great little track (used to be Private up until a few years ago). They are known for the quality (and the speed) of their greens. However, it's a pretty tight course so the golfer(s) who only play a few times a year may have a long day. It's in Hilton Head Plantation. It's the first course you come to after going through the main gate.

    Actually, all 4 courses in Hilton Head Plantation are decent tracks and won't break the bank. They are: Bear Creek, Oyster Reef, CC of Hilton Head, and Dolphin Head.

    The other courses mentioned already by others are also good suggestions. Both courses in Sea Pines are great, the 3 in Palmetto Dunes are all worth playing, Old South and Hilton Head National are very solid courses off-island. I might add Eagles Point and The Crescent to that list of off-island courses and they are very reasonable too.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • NCLancerNCLancer from Northern New York to The Triangle Members Posts: 196 ✭✭
    FYI: Group Golfer is running a $35 Old South special which ends tomorrow. The coupon is good thru 3/1/19.
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 712 ✭✭
    I’ll second Old South. I like Palmetto Dunes the best, and Shipyard is good too.



    I loved Daufuskie Island courses years ago, but is a bit of a haul to get out there and I don’t even know if they are still open anymore.



    Lots of great options in HHI.
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,711 ✭✭
    LeftDaddy wrote:


    I’ll second Old South. I like Palmetto Dunes the best, and Shipyard is good too.



    I loved Daufuskie Island courses years ago, but is a bit of a haul to get out there and I don’t even know if they are still open anymore.



    Lots of great options in HHI.
    I heard that Haig Point is the only one still open on Daufuskie.
  • T-MACT-MAC Members Posts: 1,958 ✭✭
    caniac6 wrote:

    LeftDaddy wrote:


    I’ll second Old South. I like Palmetto Dunes the best, and Shipyard is good too.



    I loved Daufuskie Island courses years ago, but is a bit of a haul to get out there and I don’t even know if they are still open anymore.



    Lots of great options in HHI.
    I heard that Haig Point is the only one still open on Daufuskie.




    Pretty sure you are correct. I know Melrose, which was one of my favorite courses around here (Nicklaus Signature Course) has been closed for awhile and I heard that Bloody Point, which was a decent track, just closed recently. Haig Point is a terrific course, but it is private.
  • jmconnell4jmconnell4 Members Posts: 97 ✭✭
    Update - Well surprisingly enough some of the guys wanted to spring for a round at Harbor Town day 1. I told them to bring plently of balls... The rest of the weekend is as follows:



    Friday - Harbor Town - $260 including forecaddie tip

    Saturday - 36 @ Bear Creek - $77 for 36 and that includes lunch and a pint

    Sunday - Fazio course at Palmetto Dunes - $60



    Thanks for everyone who helped
  • ChrisGio315ChrisGio315 Members Posts: 431 ✭✭
    Gonna hijack this thread for one second...



    Im looking for poker chip style ball markers from Hilton Head National and Palametto Dunes. Does anyone who lives in the area have access to these?



    I will surely pay for them with whatever extra is needed for the time/hassle.



    Thanks!
    Titleist TS2 (10.5*)
    Titleist TS2 3w (15*)
    Titleist TS2 5w (18*)
    Titleist 718 AP1
    Titelist SM7 56*
    Custom Newport Select 2.5
    Titleist AVX

    WITB - http://www.golfwrx.c...tb-chrisgio315/
  • jonsnowjonsnow GeorgiaMembers Posts: 1,234 ✭✭
    edited Dec 17, 2018 #20
    jmconnell4 wrote:

    HackerDave wrote:


    Take a look in the Carolina's section. A LOT of threads there. I guess I would start by asking if you have a budget and where are you staying? Sea Pines is a good time. The Jones at Palmetto Dunes would be a good fit. Wide fairways and big greens.




    We are staying in an Air BNB on the beach on the north end of the island. Rough budget for 4 rounds would be $300-$500. The mix of golfers is quite large so ideally we are looking for some courses that offer some challenge for the better golfers but still keep it fun for the guys that dont play much.




    If you're not locked into the Air BNB accommodations, you should check with Palmetto Dunes on a stay & play package. We've been taking a group in mid-February for years & last year, we paid $395 a person for three rounds of golf & three nights lodging in Palmetto Dunes. Add in about $60 to play Old South on your way in & you're in for about $450 for golf & lodging; only additional costs would be food & gas/travel.



    EDIT: Just saw you've got your plans in place. Too late to the party, I guess.
    WITB:
    Titleist 910D3 9.5
    Titleist 917F2 15
    Titleist 910H 19
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 50,54,60
    Cameron Newport 2
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

    Clubs are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination at any time...
  • Sonja HenieSonja Henie Members Posts: 108 ✭✭
    I'm a fan of HH National. Good rates and very playable for those who don't get out often.
Sign In or Register to comment.