Tiger and GolfTV Agree to Exclusive Content Partnership.

TateTate Posts: 269 ✭✭
M2 9.5
M2 15
MP18 MMC Fli Hi 3
MP18 SC 4-5
MP18 6-PW
SM6 52.8
SM6 56.10
SM6 60.4
2016 Select Newport 2

Comments

• ForeleftForeleft Members Posts: 2,102 ✭✭
    Christmas shopping for the face paint crowd suddenly got very easy.
  • daleheaddalehead Members Posts: 1,441 ✭✭
    GOLFTV. Another line item for your budget. Will be interesting to see the price tag and what you get. Guess all the folks who thought the Match on PPV would be a bust didn't realize it was actually a glimpse into the future.
  • IVMIVM Posts: 454 ✭✭
    I guess the PGA are going to take on the Golf Channel.
  • augustgolfaugustgolf Golf with dignity Coastal NCMembers Posts: 3,890 ✭✭
    Is this the price of losing to Phil in "The Match"?
    Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
    or is it 1514...
    I don't remember exactly
  • rawdograwdog Cleveland, OHPosts: 3,015 ✭✭
    Hard pass.
    Cobra LTD Driver
    Aldila Rogue Black, 9.5* @44.5"
    In1Zone Single Length Fairway Woods

Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue @41.5" 5W = 19*
    Graffaloy ProLaunch Axis Blue @41.5" 7W = 23*
    Cobra F7 One Length Irons
    Nippon Modus 105 Stiff @ 36.5"
    6I = 24* 7I = 29* 8I = 34* 9I = 39* PW = 44* GW = 49* SW = 54* LW = 59*
    Odyssey #9 HT Metal X Milled @33.5"
    Maxfli SoftFli
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,309 ClubWRX
    Makes sense, signing Tiger gives them some leverage with advertisers.
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • sheldonjhackersheldonjhacker Members Posts: 3,699 ✭✭
    No thanks.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,359 ClubWRX
    Guessing some $$$ in this for Tiger to agree to this kind of access and not own the rights.

LOL at "nourishing" golf fans. Do the Tiger fans that will pee their pants over this need Gerber baby peas or raw meat for nourishment? I'm talking to you Basic!!!!!!!!

Just kidding. I actually think it could be interesting if done as it is being presented, but I don't know how they draw Tiger out that much or how he loosens up for something like this, but I'm sure he's getting paid regardless.

May be something golf fans in general may enjoy.
  • aliikanealiikane Members Posts: 1,600 ✭✭
    This is good. Competition for the Golf Channel. I like the Golf Channel but some of their programming is getting a little tired. It will be great to have two choices for watching golf and some fresh new programming.
  • Vardon GripVardon Grip Members Posts: 428 ✭✭
    I hope they also show the Bobby Jones movie and Tin Cup.
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,742 ClubWRX
    Interesting to see how it works out, the promise of extra access to TW is in itself intriguing, although I would be sceptical as to how much genuinely interesting content it will result in. If it was anything like the banter during 'The Match' then oh dear.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,072 ✭✭
    I watch Tiger playing Golf. Nothing else interests me.
  • FergusonFerguson Executive Member VAMembers Posts: 4,431 ✭✭
    Not sustainable.
    Ferguson wrote:

Not sustainable.

GolfTV or Tiger's association with them?
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,520 ✭✭
    If Golf TV gets the PGA Tour broadcasts, like the release said, Golf Channel will fold.
    PING OG Rapture 9*
    Cobra Baffler Pro 18* hybrid
    Cleveland CG2 irons 3-p
    Bridgestone Wedges 52/56
    Odyssey #1WS
  • dropkickeddropkicked Members Posts: 477 ✭✭
    For those of you who are not current with technology and trends, this is cray-cray, good...Focused service delivery on a global platform is exactly what's needed in order to grow the game without borders. China and India, come to mind right away.. (If you heard his interview yesterday with the Head of HERO motorcorp, then it makes sense) Tiger will cement his legacy now on a global platform.
  • RangeballzRangeballz Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    Looks interesting....

I wonder if they will try to poach some talent from TGC.

Finding golf content for a 24/7 operation has got to be challenging. If this is the new home of all PGA Tour content it could be a serious blow to TGC.

Anyone know when TGC's contract to show the PGA Tour expires?
  • new2g0lfnew2g0lf Members Posts: 3,309 ClubWRX
    There will be growing pains, just as there was for the NFL channel. Golf channel pays a lot of money for the broadcast rights, the PGA Tour would potentially lose some money if their partnership took over their broadcasts exclusively from Golf Channel unless they believe the money made from advertisers would exceed the bid price.

This could be good for golf overall, two channels of golf content. If the PGA Tour broadcast rights were taken over by GolfTV that would free up the Golf Channel to expand their coverage of the LPGA, Champions and Web.com Tours.
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
    Woods - XXIO 10 3W
    Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
    Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
    Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
    Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
    Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB
  • RangeballzRangeballz Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    new2g0lf wrote:
    This could be good for golf overall, two channels of golf content. If the PGA Tour broadcast rights were taken over by GolfTV that would free up the Golf Channel to expand their coverage of the LPGA, Champions and Web.com Tours.

Much as I love golf, I don't think the sport can sustain two dedicated channels. I'm hopeful I will be proven wrong.
  • i bet peter kessler wishes he didn't go off the rails image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

this looks interesting, could be a game-changer.
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,219 ClubWRX
    edited Nov 28, 2018 #22
    I've just trade marked "TigerWoodsGOLFTV.WRX.com" a website/discussion board that will solely be focused on talking about TW and this new channel, the content, clubs, which tees he plays, how far he hits a 7 iron, if he wears jeans on the course, the music he listens to and whether he turns it down if someone is close by, changes to ANGC, his thoughts on the cost of a fitting at Club Champion, best fitting rain gear and the Hero Challenge.
  • CasualLieCasualLie Do Woodchucks Chuck Wood? Members Posts: 1,397 ✭✭
    I am reading into this as additional coverage for the big events, not exclusive coverage. Sort of like Wimbledon which is on what? three channels at once? So maybe this could be good because we get a chance to see something unthinkable on the major networks - tour players hitting shots!
  • daleheaddalehead Members Posts: 1,441 ✭✭
    Rangeballz wrote:

new2g0lf wrote:

Much as I love golf, I don't think the sport can sustain two dedicated channels. I'm hopeful I will be proven wrong.

Agree. Between reruns and shows like Driver vs. Driver, Golf Channel is unwatchable for a good part of the day. A second channel dilutes content even more. PGA Tour broadcasts are where it's at. I don't think TGC is looking forward to losing PGA Tour rights so they can expand their LPGA, Seniors, and web.com coverage.
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,093 ✭✭
    This is big news and a huge attack on the other golf media.

GOLFTV powered by PGA TOUR will be available to fans starting January 2019*. It will present more than 2,000 hours of live action each year as well as a wide range of premium content on-demand, featuring the sport’s most exciting moments, superstar players and tournaments on every screen and device. Live coverage of the PGA TOUR will be extensive and include THE PLAYERS Championship, the FedExCup Playoffs and the Presidents Cup.
    Definitely see this as a move away from multiple networks having coverage split over the season kinda like what we have with Sky Sports. All of the PGA Tour Golf and all of the European Tour golf in on there. It seems to work pretty good. That said, the impact on the PGA Tour's deal with the Discovery Channel is likely to mess all of that up in a few years time.
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • Railroading13Railroading13 NebraskaMembers Posts: 605 ✭✭
    I’d like to see more casual rounds and instruction that is “course” based. Swing instruction doesn’t work for TV, every swing is different. What TV instruction can provide is the insight from a pro as they’re playing a round, decision making, where to tee, where to miss etc...

Golf channel does have the playing lessons show but it falls short... it’s only 30 min and 9 holes... I’d like to watch a full round and listen in while a tour player plots along... maybe in a pro am or money match setting
    WITB

Cobra King LTD 9.5 Fujikura Pro 73 X
    Cobra Bio Cell 14.5 Diamana D+ 80 X
    Cobra Bio Cell+ 18.5 Diamana Ahina 80X
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4-5 KBS Tour 130X
    Mizuno MP18 SC 6-PW KBS Tour 130X
    Mizuno S18 GW 52.9
    Mizuno T5 SW 56.14
    Callaway PM Grind 60.10
    Odyssey O Works 7s W/ Superstroke 50G counterweight
  • the digital content on TGC is lacking, very slow to load. the digital presence will be an easy victory for GolfTV
  • Green ValleyGreen Valley Posts: 770 ✭✭
    BMC wrote:

If Golf TV gets the PGA Tour broadcasts, like the release said, Golf Channel will fold.

Yup, after last year debacle with golf channel tournment. PGA tour live stream is becoming very popular. Added with this. Game changer
  • Tiger is super open with his thoughts and the way he communicates those thoughts. I think this will go over well.

• bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,093 ✭✭

Tiger is super open with his thoughts and the way he communicates those thoughts. I think this will go over well.

q7nvr.jpg