The Game Starts with the Grip

heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,067 ✭✭
What type of grip do you or your kid use? As we all know the full swing starts with a solid grip. Whether interlocking or Vardon the grip is very important. I think you teach the grip to a kid as soon as a club goes in the hands.



With that in mind, is it possible to be a great golfer with a baseball grip? I don't see anyone on the PGA or LPGA with a baseball grip.

Comments

  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 875 ✭✭
    Scott Piercy used baseball grip back in 2012. Not sure on the qualification of "great golfer" but if you are on the PGA Tour at one point then you must be pretty good (i.e. you have a Tour Card). I believe Jack and Tiger use interlock, but vardon grip is widely used also by other greats such as Seve.



    When my kid's hands get big enough and strong enough, he will switch to interlock or vardon depending on which one he feel's most comfortable.
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,067 ✭✭
    edited Nov 28, 2018 #3
    My kid uses interlocking. He has been using it since he was 5 years old. I haven't seen to many juniors ever use a baseball grip at any age I have watched.
  • MikekiMMikekiM Members Posts: 192 ✭✭
    My son uses an interlocking grip. He's tried overlapping and I think his hands were a little too small then so he felt more comfortable with the interlock.



    I grew up using the overlap, then sprained my left index finger playing basketball and had to switch to a reverse overlap for a while, then settled back to an interlock grip. Switching grips is the most odd feeling for a while.
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,067 ✭✭
    MikekiM wrote:


    My son uses an interlocking grip. He's tried overlapping and I think his hands were a little too small then so he felt more comfortable with the interlock.



    I grew up using the overlap, then sprained my left index finger playing basketball and had to switch to a reverse overlap for a while, then settled back to an interlock grip. Switching grips is the most odd feeling for a while.




    I agree. When I see a kid show up with a baseball grip I know it is going to be a long frustrating day.
  • thelefthandedgolferthelefthandedgolfer Lefty Boomers Posts: 17 ✭✭




    I agree. When I see a kid show up with a baseball grip I know it is going to be a long frustrating day.




    I taught my daughter the interlock b/c it is what I was taught. She was 6 at the time and it worked fine. A couple years later we started seeing an instructor with a great reputation in our area and it was suggested she switch to a 10 finger(baseball) grip b/c her hands(as well as most girls at that age) are too small to hold the club properly through transition. My daughter fought it at first, but adjusted well. Our instructor is not the only one teaching it as we've come across other competitive junior girls that use it for the same reason.



    She will switch back to the interlock once her fingers are long enough to provide the support needed through transition, which I suspect will be this winter or next.
  • marker10marker10 Members Posts: 21
    My daughter switched from baseball grip to interlock. However, her coach said that he prefers overlap because you get more fingers on the grip. I guess he’s referring to your left hand index finger being on the grip. She stuck with the interlock but I switched my younger one to overlap and she feels comfortable with it.
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,303 ✭✭
    wildcatden wrote:
    Scott Piercy used baseball grip back in 2012. Not sure on the qualification of "great golfer" but if you are on the PGA Tour at one point then you must be pretty good (i.e. you have a Tour Card). I believe Jack and Tiger use interlock, but vardon grip is widely used also by other greats such as Seve.



    When my kid's hands get big enough and strong enough, he will switch to interlock or vardon depending on which one he feel's most comfortable.




    A 10 finger grip and baseball grip aren’t the same.
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 875 ✭✭
    BiggErn wrote:

    wildcatden wrote:
    Scott Piercy used baseball grip back in 2012. Not sure on the qualification of "great golfer" but if you are on the PGA Tour at one point then you must be pretty good (i.e. you have a Tour Card). I believe Jack and Tiger use interlock, but vardon grip is widely used also by other greats such as Seve.



    When my kid's hands get big enough and strong enough, he will switch to interlock or vardon depending on which one he feel's most comfortable.




    A 10 finger grip and baseball grip aren’t the same.




    Do tell....
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,303 ✭✭
    wildcatden wrote:
    BiggErn wrote:

    wildcatden wrote:
    Scott Piercy used baseball grip back in 2012. Not sure on the qualification of "great golfer" but if you are on the PGA Tour at one point then you must be pretty good (i.e. you have a Tour Card). I believe Jack and Tiger use interlock, but vardon grip is widely used also by other greats such as Seve.



    When my kid's hands get big enough and strong enough, he will switch to interlock or vardon depending on which one he feel's most comfortable.




    A 10 finger grip and baseball grip aren’t the same.




    Do tell....




    With a 10 finger grip the both hands are fully on the club but the thumbs are place on the shaft like an interlock or overlap grip. A baseball grip is just like it sounds. The thumbs wrap around the grip like holding a baseball bat.
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 875 ✭✭
    BiggErn wrote:

    wildcatden wrote:
    BiggErn wrote:

    wildcatden wrote:
    Scott Piercy used baseball grip back in 2012. Not sure on the qualification of "great golfer" but if you are on the PGA Tour at one point then you must be pretty good (i.e. you have a Tour Card). I believe Jack and Tiger use interlock, but vardon grip is widely used also by other greats such as Seve.



    When my kid's hands get big enough and strong enough, he will switch to interlock or vardon depending on which one he feel's most comfortable.




    A 10 finger grip and baseball grip aren’t the same.




    Do tell....




    With a 10 finger grip the both hands are fully on the club but the thumbs are place on the shaft like an interlock or overlap grip. A baseball grip is just like it sounds. The thumbs wrap around the grip like holding a baseball bat.




    Excellent. The hair hath been successfully split.
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,303 ✭✭
    wildcatden wrote:
    BiggErn wrote:

    wildcatden wrote:
    BiggErn wrote:

    wildcatden wrote:
    Scott Piercy used baseball grip back in 2012. Not sure on the qualification of "great golfer" but if you are on the PGA Tour at one point then you must be pretty good (i.e. you have a Tour Card). I believe Jack and Tiger use interlock, but vardon grip is widely used also by other greats such as Seve.



    When my kid's hands get big enough and strong enough, he will switch to interlock or vardon depending on which one he feel's most comfortable.




    A 10 finger grip and baseball grip aren’t the same.




    Do tell....




    With a 10 finger grip the both hands are fully on the club but the thumbs are place on the shaft like an interlock or overlap grip. A baseball grip is just like it sounds. The thumbs wrap around the grip like holding a baseball bat.




    Excellent. The hair hath been successfully split.




    No hair to split. Guess you just didn’t know what you were talking about.
  • wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 875 ✭✭
    BiggErn wrote:

    wildcatden wrote:
    BiggErn wrote:

    wildcatden wrote:
    BiggErn wrote:


    A 10 finger grip and baseball grip aren’t the same.




    Do tell....




    With a 10 finger grip the both hands are fully on the club but the thumbs are place on the shaft like an interlock or overlap grip. A baseball grip is just like it sounds. The thumbs wrap around the grip like holding a baseball bat.




    Excellent. The hair hath been successfully split.




    No hair to split. Guess you just didn’t know what you were talking about.




    You da man BiggErn!!
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,724 ✭✭
    4-5 current Tour players with a 10 finger grip. Great players have played cross handed. Plenty of guys with weak lead hand grip and strong trail hand grip. Even more with a strong left hand grip and neutral right hand grip.
  • Pinewood GolferPinewood Golfer Members Posts: 129 ✭✭
    edited Nov 28, 2018 #15


    What type of grip do you or your kid use? As we all know the full swing starts with a solid grip. Whether interlocking or Vardon the grip is very important. I think you teach the grip to a kid as soon as a club goes in the hands.



    With that in mind, is it possible to be a great golfer with a baseball grip? I don't see anyone on the PGA or LPGA with a baseball grip.




    My son uses a baseball grip (or 10-finger). He’s 10 and, for reference, finished 60th at Pinehurst. His coach wants the hand position to be correct but is fine with a baseball grip at a young age as it helps the player better control the club and generate power. His thought, again, as long as hand position is good, is that going to overlap or interlock isn’t important until closer to puberty.



    He’s a very qualified coach
  • yellowlover519yellowlover519 Members Posts: 299 ✭✭
    Interlock. But easier to release at younger ages with a 10-finger grip. I think how many knuckles does your child see on his lead/top hand is an interesting question. I say 2.5 knuckles but am okay with 3.
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,043 ✭✭
    Daughters both use interlock grip but were taught that first and they don't play sports such as baseball. I haven't seen any issues and it seems to work for them so not really something I worry about. The interlock is the grip almost all pro's teach and I believe it is most popular. Honestly I don't think the type of grip you use is an issue as long as you can square the club constantly at impact with good consistency.



    I also hear people have different grips depending on the club especially for the driver. Not sure on that one but would not be surprised.
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 8,852 ClubWRX
    edited Nov 29, 2018 #18

    MikekiM wrote:


    My son uses an interlocking grip. He's tried overlapping and I think his hands were a little too small then so he felt more comfortable with the interlock.



    I grew up using the overlap, then sprained my left index finger playing basketball and had to switch to a reverse overlap for a while, then settled back to an interlock grip. Switching grips is the most odd feeling for a while.




    I agree. When I see a kid show up with a baseball grip I know it is going to be a long frustrating day.




    Just wait till my son shows up then. image/superman.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':superman:' />



    Ooops, I thought my son uses a baseball grip, but seems its a 10 finger grip after the hair splitting. lol
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,340 ClubWRX
    iteachgolf wrote:


    4-5 current Tour players with a 10 finger grip. Great players have played cross handed. Plenty of guys with weak lead hand grip and strong trail hand grip. Even more with a strong left hand grip and neutral right hand grip.




    2 friends in Ireland play 10 finger grips and cross handed. The first time I saw it I thought it was going to be a long day until one of them bombed a drive on the first hole at Druid's Glen.
  • wlmwlm Members Posts: 94 ✭✭
    My son used a baseball grip until he was almost 15. It didn’t hold him back, and he quickly adjusted to an interlocking grip.
  • mikpgamikpga www.mikedeitersgolf.com Members Posts: 7,368 ✭✭
    There’s a variety of attachments at the highest level of golfers...
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Members Posts: 5,169 ✭✭
    Amazes me when I see juniors who I know are are taking expensive and frequent lessons with really crappy grips. Makes me wonder about the instructor. There's a lot of cause & effect that begins with how you place your hands on the club. I switched my daughter from interlock to Vardon (overlap) when she was 13. My preference is Vardon with a strong"ish" lead hand and a more neutral trail hand.
    USGA Index: ~2

    WITB:
    2018 Taylormade M3 8.5 Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 S
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green S
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - stock shaft in S
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Ping Glide 2.0 - SS 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade Ho Toe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,043 ✭✭
    dpb5031 wrote:


    Amazes me when I see juniors who I know are are taking expensive and frequent lessons with really crappy grips. Makes me wonder about the instructor. There's a lot of cause & effect that begins with how you place your hands on the club. I switched my daughter from interlock to Vardon (overlap) when she was 13. My preference is Vardon with a strong"ish" lead hand and a more neutral trail hand.




    Most people love their instructors. The problem is most instructors are not very good. For us we need to see improvement after every lesson. If after 2 lessons we see no improvement and not a plan to fix something we fire the instructor. A bad instructor is worse than none. Funny thing is the first instructor we had had no clue on grip but kept saying we need more lessons for improvement and that was the trigger to get a better coach for me.
Sign In or Register to comment.