Graffaloy Epic Shaft

Graffaloy Epic Shaft

The new Epic from Grafalloy combines a high launch angle and low spin design for superior distance and accuracy. It uses patented Nanofuse material, crated by fusing incredibly strong nano-crystalline metals at the molecular level with a composite polymer substrate. The final product is a super-lightweight shaft with explosive distance and up to a 35% improvement in shot dispersion, putting golfers as much as 20 yards closer to the pin off the tee.

Bend Point: Mid

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a departure from the "original" Epic? I've had the unfortunate experience of having two break on me within six months. Grafalloy is shipping one to GG for them to fix (warranty which is nice!)

I really don't want a high launch shaft, and I thought the original wasn't high launch. Was I misinformed on the original? BTW, I do like the shaft, that's why after two breaks I'm sticking with it.

Would have given it 5 stars, but with the breaks.... down one.

Is this a departure from the "original" Epic? I've had the unfortunate experience of having two break on me within six months. Grafalloy is shipping one to GG for them to fix (warranty which is nice!)

I really don't want a high launch shaft, and I thought the original wasn't high launch. Was I misinformed on the original? BTW, I do like the shaft, that's why after two breaks I'm sticking with it.

Would have given it 5 stars, but with the breaks.... down one.

I, too was lead to believe that Epic is a mid launch tight dispersion shaft... made to play like steel yet provide the distances of graphite. I just picked up a Callaway tour FT5 demo with Epic (S); so this weekends rounds should be fun; :clapping: I hope.

Good luck with your repairs.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

The epic fairway shaft has been just as advertised for me. I replaced the stock aldila nv 65 that comes in the tour edge exotics cb fairway wood with the 84 gm epic fairway shaft (yes, they put a 65 gm shaft in a fairway wood). my ball flight is lower, spin is less, and I get tons more rollout. The shaft is very stable through the entire swing and impact, and dispersion control is the best I've ever achieved with my swing. The shaft doesn't feel heavy or boardy in any way. The tee 3 wood with this shaft is absolute money - I can still hit my driver farther (only about 10-15 yards though) but the control of the shaft is amazing. Best fairway wood shaft I've ever hit. 5 stars.

After picking up a 905s for a song to be my travel driver and hitting its Graffaloy Blue, which feels like a board to me regarding feel alhough distance and accuracy are OK, I have not hit another Graffaloy shaft.

Am I missing anything? I picked up a great Tour Superquad 460 and am going to reshaft it any suggestons? Using GD 7 stiff in main driver?

I've played the 68 gram version in both a driver and fairway wood and didn't care for it. Now I've put the 87 gram Fwy version in my 15.5 degree G10 fairway wood and it's money. Great feel, great dispersion, great distance, great ballflight.......this shaft has it all.

It's definitely worth a try if the specs match your needs.

Ping G430 Max 10.5° | Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 569
TaylorMade BRNR 13.5° | UST Mamiya ProForce 65

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 18° | Mitsubishi Kai'li Red 65

Srixon ZX MKII 22° & 25° | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 70

Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal HL 6-GW | True Temper Dynamic Gold 95
Cleveland CBX2 54° & 58° | Rotex 90
PXG Battle Ready M16 Bat Attack

"Golf is assuredly a mystifying game. It would seem that if a person has hit a golf ball correctly a thousand times, he should be able to duplicate the performance at will. But such is certainly not the case." - Bobby Jones

• 1 month later...

I have the fairway version and really enjoy everything about it. Much lower launch than I was expecting which i prefer. Haven't heard anything about "great" about this shaft in the driver.

[b][i]Titleist 917D3[/i][/b]
[b][i]Titleist 917F3[/i][/b]
[b][i]Titleist [/i]816H1[/b]
[b][i]Titleist 716[/i][/b] [i][b]AP2 [/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Vokey SM6[/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 5[/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Pro V1X[/b][/i]

i enjoy playing both the fwy and the driver shaft..i have to say the driver shaft is sometimes a tad bit too high of a launch & spin, but it has definately been a excellent shaft for me. my driver swing speed is around 100-115 on avg and i can easily carry my 3wood 260 off the tee and my driver 270-280 off the tee.

curious how the tour version plays! any one have any reviews on it?

I just got my Cleveland Steel 15* 3 wood back from installation and Puring of the Epic fw, and the feel is great! I can't wait to get out on the course with it.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

The 68 feels better than the T75 but the T75 is far better for faster swings and much lower launch. The fwd shaft is the best shaft I've ever had in a 3 wood.

I've had mine almost a year with no breakages but there sure are a lot of reports of this happening. This may be why Grafalloy/TrueTemper are not using Nanofuse in their new shaft - X Proto.

Also, for those who missed it - here's the Bag Chatter review

• 3 months later...

I have a 44in Epic Tour in X flex and I found it about 10-20 yards short of my 45in Matrix Studio 84 in S flex. I have a nakashima so i can take shafts in and out fast. The thing I liked about the shaft was consistency. I hit a 5 yard fade everytime. The ball flight is just so consistent. It just isn't know to be a long shaft.

I also tossed the Epic shaft in a swing frequency machine and I noticed how straight the shaft went back and forth as compared to other shafts I have put in them.

If you don't care about distance and you just wanna hit a bunch of fairways then I would get it.

Actually this thread might make me go extend it today and try it out again.

was a bit worried as some comments on here talk off the shaft breaking.

But, bought my Srixon off of Ebay with the Epic shaft for £52 !! and it is stunning. Tight dispersion anf fabulous length. Initially I was worried as it is meant to be a high launch shaft, but it is giving me the same trajectory as the Prolaunch Red ... wierd.

Has defo given me a little distance on shots, but the tightness and feel and second to none.

• 1 month later...

I have heard about these shafts snapping, but from what I've been told and seen all the ones that I've seen break have been due to improper prep and installation. I'm not sure what your individual incident may have been , but the ones I saw the tips were sanded down way to far. Because of the "nanofuse" you are only suppose to barely scuff the tip for epoxy to adhere to. The ones that I saw that were broken the tips were sanded down way too far to where there's no paint left. So if you are buying a used Epic, make sure you still see paint on the tip or you'll be screwed.

• 2 weeks later...

Self-installed an Epic T75S in my Titleist 983E a couple of weeks back by converting the head to a blind bore and I have a couple of comments:

1) Wow! This'll be staying in the bag for the foreseeable future. Good distance, mid launch and it just flies. More importantly for me, very tight distribution and it feels exceptionally good. My SS is ~100-110 I think.

2) If you're installing yourself watch the tip preparation. The Epic web site recommends a 150 grit flap wheel to remove the lacquer finish but I would definitely avoid this. There isn't much lacquer to remove and a flap wheel could easily take it too far. I used a 180 grit strip of sandpaper (~6"x1") as if I was shoe-shining the tip and you're through the lacquer _very_ quick even like this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

mine broke today factory installed by mizuno in my mp-600...driver 3 months past warranty and miz said "sorry ole' chap!"

I have not contacted grafalloy yet..don't think it matters! I do agree with the post about dispersion...I loved the shaft! I disagree about the distance...my regular drive was between 300-315.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

• 3 weeks later...

Any other experiences with the MP 600? So far, 2 rounds with the XL, and have to say it really is for smoother swings. 1st round I was trying to hit, and it was not consistent. Yesterday, got 9 holes in, and hit 2 outstanding drives - just a more rhythmic, connected swing. I've ordered one for the MP head and would love to hear opinions on the combo...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have tried this the Epic 68 in three different heads, a Mizuno MP600, an Adams BUL 5000, and a Nike Sumo 5000. All I can say is that this is bar far the most consistent straightest hitting shaft I have ever played. The hype about the dispersion on this shaft is right on. Of all the balls I have hit with it very few are off line and very few have ballooned into the air. I realize a lot of it is the indian and not the arrow, but I have tried the Fujikura speeder series, the Diamana blueboard and whiteboard series, the UST V2 series, the Aldila NV & VS series, and the Graphite Design YS6 & 7, and the dispersion on these does not even compare to the Epic. Some have posted that it is a straight driving shaft, but short on distance, and I beg to differ. I hit the Epic in the same head just as far if not farther, but more importantly straighter with more control. In regards to the 68s being to whippy, then I would suggest to move to the 68X. It has worked out great for me and I did not loose any distance. Besides even if I lost a few yards, I would take it being under control and in the fairway any day!

Have not tried one in a fairway wood yet, but seriously considering going to one in my 3wd after my personal experiences with the driver shafts and all the rave reviews about the fairway version.

Titleist 910D3 9.5 w/Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 910F 15 w/stock Kai'li 75s
Titleist 910H 19 w/stock Kai'li 80s
Titleist AP2 712 3-W DGS300
Vokey SM4 52-08 & 56-11
Bettinardi BC6 34" 343g