What to you, is the most Frustrating Aspect of Putting?

2»

Comments

• PutterProPutterPro ClubWRX Posts: 78 ClubWRX
    When having a really good birdie opportunity from 8”/10” and blowing your first putt past the hole, then miss your par putt and walk away with bogey! Aaaaahhhhhhh! It makes me wanna scream!
  • WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the Corner Members Posts: 4,816 ✭✭
    I can go out and shoot a 72 and putt great and be stoked. Then the next round I’ll have a bad putting day and think that I need to change everything. The grip, the way I grip it, weight, length, head...everything. Its the one club in my bag that will cause me to panic after just one bad round.
    Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
    Cobra F7 15.5*
    Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
    Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
    Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
    Taylormade TPx
  • JabbathePuttJabbathePutt Members Posts: 37 ✭✭
    The lip out...."a momentary loss of muscular coordination, all right? A few extra pounds of energy per second, per second..."
    I can play golf till the break of dawn......till the break of dawn!!!!
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ClubWRX Posts: 3,195 ClubWRX
    I hate that I didn’t hole out the wedge shot. 😆
    Taylormade M1 (2017) 440 9.5* tour w/Atmos Black TS 6x<br />Taylormade M6 Rocket 3 w/Atmos Black 7s<br />Taylormade p790 3-pw <br />Taylormade hi-toe 52-9 and 58-10 wedges <br />Taylormade Spider Mallet 72
  • Rosco1216Rosco1216 Members Posts: 2,975 ✭✭
    Having a consistent miss tendency throughout a round without correcting it.
    Tour Issue M3 8.5*(7.4* @ 3.4* open) - Diamana DF 70tx
    FW - who knows
    P790 UDI 17* - PX 7.0
    Miura CB 1008(4-P) - PX 7.0
    Bridgestone TourB XW1 50/55//60* - X100
    Piretti Matera 2 Limited Release

https://www.instagram.com/rc_nova
  • Zach HeusserZach Heusser Marshals Posts: 5,151 mod
    Slow greens
    Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur University <br /><br />My WITB<br /><br /><br /><br />http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/<br />@Zheusser on twitter
  • davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,029 ✭✭

Imperfections in the greens.

Socrates wrote:

Knowing that you can hit a putt perfectly and miss and yet hit a putt poorly and make it. Irrational at best.

These two are absolutely inter-related. Its hard to accept invisible variations on the surface that will cause identical putts to have different results.
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX Posts: 1,503 ClubWRX
    davep043 wrote:

Socrates wrote:

Knowing that you can hit a putt perfectly and miss and yet hit a putt poorly and make it. Irrational at best.

These two are absolutely inter-related. Its hard to accept invisible variations on the surface that will cause identical putts to have different results.

And you have absolutely no control over the outcome. You control speed, line, and you choose your read, but imperfections and how the ball rolls over them is somewhat random and can melt your confidence like ice cream on a summer sidewalk.
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX in yellow
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members Posts: 2,433 ✭✭
    For me it's having the same expectations now as when I was practicing 5 days a week. Just don't see and feel breaks as well as I used to but I expect to make putts like I used to...
  • IvyguyIvyguy Members Posts: 1,408 ✭✭
    Having a nearly unlimited amount of time to be perfectly clear on what is going to happen, just to get over the ball and tweak something based on something I might have seen.

Also, when the ball breaks away from water lol.
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,014 ✭✭
    First off, I consider myself a good putter, not a great one, but better than your average hack. I rarely 3 putt and I make a few on occasion.

My biggest frustration is having those days when you hit a bunch of good putts and nothing seems to go in, you lip 3-5 out and you just have the speed, line or read wrong by a fraction of an inch all day long.

Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,029 ✭✭
    dlygrisse wrote:

First off, I consider myself a good putter, not a great one, but better than your average hack. I rarely 3 putt and I make a few on occasion.

My biggest frustration is having those days when you hit a bunch of good putts and nothing seems to go in, you lip 3-5 out and you just have the speed, line or read wrong by a fraction of an inch all day long.

The thing is, you know these days are offset by the days when everything seems to go in. But those days you remember that you "deserve" to make those long ones, and on the other days you putted just as well, except for the ball going in part of the equation. Which all goes back to my post about invisible variations in the surface in the surface.
  • dlygrissedlygrisse Members Posts: 13,014 ✭✭

davep043 wrote:

Socrates wrote:

And you have absolutely no control over the outcome. You control speed, line, and you choose your read, but imperfections and how the ball rolls over them is somewhat random and can melt your confidence like ice cream on a summer sidewalk.

This kind of stuff used to drive me crazy, but after reading Dave Pelz's book I learned to deal with the reality of it. I haven't opened the book in many years, and I disagree with most of his putting mechanics and philosophies. However his stuff on reading greens, picking your starting line, and the expectations on making putts were game changers for me.

Tiger in his prime used to totally blow me away with his ability to make putts when it mattered, Jack was the same way. It was almost supernatural what they could do. Watch that putt in slow-mo that Tiger made at Torrey in 2008. It must of bounced over 8 spike marks on the way to the hole. It's like he read the spike marks.

Golf is not billiards, you shouldn't expect a perfect playing surface, just like you should never expect to get a perfect lie on the fairway. we are playing outdoors on grass, we should feel lucky the conditions in this day and age are as good as they are. 200 years ago the greens were often worse than todays fairways.

Ping G400
    Callaway Rogue 3w, HW
    Ping G 4 hybrid
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
    Vokey 58 M grind
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • FadeFade Members Posts: 1,124 ✭✭
    Sometimes when I have worked too hard the week before, it seems like I am too tired to muster up the concentration necessary to putt well and there is nothing I can do about it.
  • AhotrainAhotrain Members Posts: 54 ✭✭
    The ball not going in the cup part. Really kills my score every week
  • averysdadaverysdad Members Posts: 1,129 ✭✭
    I struggle with getting the d&@n ball in the d &@n hole too often. Just kidding... I struggle with maintaining my routine CONSTANTLY.
2»