PGA Tour Live Replaced with NBC Gold?

bbr16bbr16 Members Posts: 92 ✭✭
Anyone else see this? Is this just going to be a $10 price increase from the current yearly price? Thoughts?

https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/pga-tour

Comments

• wcbjrwcbjr Members Posts: 2,794 ✭✭
    Can't say I'm looking forward to it.
  • HawkeyeHackerHawkeyeHacker Members Posts: 34 ✭✭
    I hope they don't ruin a good thing.
  • the bishopthe bishop Members Posts: 3,232 ✭✭
    I wish they'd cover the fall events
    Dynacraft Avatar Evolution 10.5* - Proforce V2 HL - S
    Callaway X-Hot 15* - Project X something or other - R
    Maltby KE4 Tour 19*/22* - Kuro Kage Black 80hy - S
    Maltby MMB 17 - DGS300
    W/S PMP Raw 52/56/60 - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    W/S Bucktown
  • thesaxemachinethesaxemachine Hello, friends... Members Posts: 433 ✭✭
    I wish there was a viable golf option for those of us who have ditched cable, in the MLB.TV or NHL model, but whatever this is, with only Thursday/Friday morning coverage, isn't appealing.
    Rogue SZ w/ Tour AD GP
    M1 w/ Diamana Thump
    GAPR w/ KBS Tour Proto
    Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
    Vokey 46° 50° 54°
    Hi-Toe 58°
    Bobby Grace Tour Diamond 3
  • ani5009ani5009 High Bridge, NJMembers Posts: 299 ✭✭
    I was told ESPN+ is also going to have PGA Tour Live as part of its package at around $60. I don't know what they're going to charge for this NBC Sports Gold but I would assume its at least that much
    TM M2 2017 9.5*
    TM M2 3HL 16.5*
    TM P790 3 iron
    Mizuno MP-59 4-P
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50/54/58
    Bettinardi BB-01
  • J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,389 ✭✭

I wish there was a viable golf option for those of us who have ditched cable, in the MLB.TV or NHL model, but whatever this is, with only Thursday/Friday morning coverage, isn't appealing.

Get a firestick image/pimp.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':pimp:' />
    Callaway Epic Flash Triple Diamond 9* / Project X HZRDUS Black Smoke 70 6.5
    TBD
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey White Hot Versa #6 Tour issue
    Srixon Zstar XV

GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub

GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

INSTAGRAM- @Jminis13
  • jah7838jah7838 Members Posts: 1,035 ✭✭
    I hope there is some clarification soon. I really like the PGA Tour live app, and don't want to pay for a bunch of stuff I'm not going to watch.
    WITB
    Driver: 9.5* M3 Attas Elements MK 7s
    Fairway: Cobra F6 Baffler set to 16* with Nventix Nunchuk
    Hybrids: 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid Black Tie 95g S / 18.5* RBZ Stage 2 S300, 23* Adams Super 9031 S300
    Irons: 5-PW Fly Z+ DGTI S400
    Wedges: 50*& 54* TM Milled Grind Standard Bounce, 58* Mid RTX 4. All wedges have DGTI S400
    Putter: Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish
  • SirFuegoSirFuego Members Posts: 167 ✭✭
    edited Nov 29, 2018 #9

PGA Tour Live had a LOT of technical issues, particularly in a browser, that never seemed like they got fixed. Videos would randomly stop playing with an error message. The feed would randomly refresh itself causing full-screen video to shrink to normal size. I had some issues where the audio would get out of sync as well. I tried different browsers, computers, and even internet/wifi/wired connections -- those same issues cropped up no matter what combination I tried. Not to mention the lack of smart TV/Chromecast/Roku/Apple TV/etc support. Luckily I had an old Android phone I could use to cast the whole screen and audio to the TV, though. For the $40, I wasn't about to complain, but it was far from a "good thing", IMO.

Hopefully with NBC Sports Gold those issues will go away, but I don't subscribe to any other sports through that service, so I have no experience with them. So I remain cautious, especially since NBC seems to be the network adapting the slowest to innovative streaming/over-the-top services.
  • RDDRDD Charter Members Posts: 254 ✭✭
    No change to PGA Tour Live, just available on NBC Gold too
  • Creedo77Creedo77 Members Posts: 738 ✭✭

they will....

RDD wrote:

thank god for that....i watch a lot of english soccer and they've absolutely ruined games that have to be streamed. Such a **** service
    PING G30 9*- Tour 65X
    PING G30 14.5*- Tour 65X
    PING i25 3-PW- CFS X
    PING Glide (SS) 50, 54, 58
    PING Anser
  • Chief IlliniwekChief Illiniwek Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭
    When I stream golf using the NBC sports app on a roku the sound is off every single time.
  • Holy MosesHoly Moses Members Posts: 10,464 ✭✭
    Can this be streamed on Playstation 4?
    Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping i20 3 (DI-95S), 4-UW (PX 6.0)
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • thesaxemachinethesaxemachine Hello, friends... Members Posts: 433 ✭✭
    Anyone have info on whether or not golf.tv will include weekend coverage?
    Rogue SZ w/ Tour AD GP
    M1 w/ Diamana Thump
    GAPR w/ KBS Tour Proto
    Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
    Vokey 46° 50° 54°
    Hi-Toe 58°
    Bobby Grace Tour Diamond 3
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,227 ✭✭
    RDD wrote:

Not “too”. It’s ONLY available on NBC sports gold.

I was just about to order it for this year because they are offering an “early bird discount “, but the reviews for NBC sports Gold iOS App are absolutely hideous. I mean they are some of the worst I’ve ever seen.

I guess there is no choice if that’s where PGA Tour live is now being delivered for at least 3 years. What a potential mess.

At least They are increasing the amount of coverage for next year. $49.95 if you sign up before the end of the year.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,410 ✭✭
    What happens if you subscribed to pga tour live already?

Do you have to purchase a new subsription to the gold?
  • sergio285sergio285 Members Posts: 106 ✭✭
    This new golftv streaming through discovery channel seems to have a lot more golf being shown but only has a select number of tournaments not sure what price it will be plus they just signed a couple players and will have different shows throughout week of tournaments
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,227 ✭✭
    bscinstnct wrote:

What happens if you subscribed to pga tour live already?

Do you have to purchase a new subsription to the gold?

Yes. It’s season to season. Last years subscription to PGA Tour live CANT be renewed any other way.

You need a new subscription through NBC sports gold. I’m fine with all this except for the terrible App reviews.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • Frankensteins MonsterFrankensteins Monster Members Posts: 6,680 ✭✭
    Wait, did PGA Tour Live just go from $39.99 to $64.99? If so, I'm most likely out.
    Yep, it did. They have an "early bird" special for $49.99.

Won’t make you completely happy, but there is more coverage on this new platform. I like the idea of watching 10 or 20 minute condensed rounds.

Now that the Tour is partnering further with NBC, I wonder what this says about a future PGA Tour channel possibly produced by NBC.
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping Vault Arna
    Holy Moses wrote:

Won't make you completely happy, but there is more coverage on this new platform. I like the idea of watching 10 or 20 minute condensed rounds.

Now that the Tour is partnering further with NBC, I wonder what this says about a future PGA Tour channel possibly produced by NBC.

Condensed rounds may be the sole reason I re-up. If they do it as they claim, I'll be able to watch condensed rounds of Saturday featured groups rather than watching the actual broadcast. Now, this is dependent on they have afternoon weekend featured groups for ALL tournaments on the list. If Tiger, Rory, Fleetwood, Mickelson, are in later Saturday groups I want condensed rounds of them.
  • JK WardJK Ward Members Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited Dec 28, 2018 #24

It's still limited coverage but it does include Saturday and Sunday coverage now.
  • Body_VisionsBody_Visions Members Posts: 2,451 ✭✭

It was my understanding that Amazon will have PGA Tour Live as well.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga-tour-live-to-be-available-on-amazon-prime-nbc-sports-gold-in-2019

Can anyone confirm this? I can’t find a thing on Amazon about it.
  • CStephenson17CStephenson17 ClubWRX Posts: 632 ClubWRX
    My subscription renewed Oct 30. They better refund me. No events between then and now.
  • youraway2youraway2 Just Old Sticks Members Posts: 1,402 ✭✭
    Very apprehensive about this offering. Not sure what you really get, but sure you don't get Master's coverage. Also they use the term "featured groups", does that mean I won't see complete coverage, as provided by the networks? I use my DVR, play golf during the televised round and watch later, and yes, fast forward through the commercials. I want to cut the cable, but can't find better service, but it's expensive to stay.
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G-400 Max, 10.5, Xtorsion[/font]
    PXG, 15-degree, ACCRA
    PXG, 19-degree hybrid, ACCRA
    Cobra DWS Utility 19-degree
    CF-16, 4-PW, UST Recoil
    0311 PXG, 5-AW, i70 Areotech Steel-fiber
    SW, 56 PXG
    Ping Nickel Anser II
    edited Dec 29, 2018 #28
    youraway2 wrote:

Very apprehensive about this offering. Not sure what you really get, but sure you don't get Master's coverage. Also they use the term "featured groups", does that mean I won't see complete coverage, as provided by the networks? I use my DVR, play golf during the televised round and watch later, and yes, fast forward through the commercials. I want to cut the cable, but can't find better service, but it's expensive to stay.

With the featured groups, you'll see more coverage than you do on network TV of the featured group, but no they won't be showing early round coverage of the non-stars. Most people don't want to see that anyway.

No, you aren't getting Masters coverage. You'll have to stick to ESPN, CBS, the Masters app, DirecTV, and the Masters website for that. They've done some neat things with the app and DirecTV though. I've seen Amen corner on 4K in 2017 which was really neat.
    Ping G30 3W 15* (DI-7X)
    Ping Vault Arna
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,213 ✭✭
    youraway2 wrote:

A potential solution to your dilemma for watching golf and the desire to cut the cord --- For weekend coverage you can watch it and record it on the local broadcast network for free. All you need is an antenna (maybe outdoor antenna) and "over the air" DVR such as Tablo. For weekday coverage subscribe to Sling or YouTube TV both have DVR options. I can't watch golf without being able to fast forward through the commercials. Let me know if you want more details.
    edited Dec 29, 2018 #30
    youraway2 wrote:

1. A high quality $25-$60 antenna gets you all the major networks in HD. There are companies making DVR boxes now for over the air broadcasts.

2. Streaming services offer the golf channel, and often local networks, and have a DVR feature.. Check Direct TV Now and Sling. All you need is good internet service. The package with the golf channel on Direct TV Now is $65 a month. Not sure about cost on Sling.

https://cdn.directv.com/content/dam/dtv/prod/website_directvnow/modals/compare-packages.html

https://www.sling.com/channels

3. PGA Tour live is NOT complete coverage just like the networks. They feature two premier groups each day and coverage of a few key holes. It is an “extra” service for golf junkies, not really a replacement for network coverage.

Read this.

https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/pga-tour-live

I experimented with cord cutting last year. I got a “free” Apple TV unit when I signed up for 3 months of DirectTV Now last spring. I also bought a $20 antenna off Amazon that works fine for local stations.

Only 2 issues for me.

1. Direct TV Now was still a little rough around the edges at the time. Just didn’t feel it was quite ready technically yet. User Interface was sketchy and it would cut out periodically and the guide sometimes would disappear for no reason.

2. My local cable company is great. When I threatened to leave, WOW dropped my price to $132 a month for cable, internet and 2 HD DVR boxes if I did a year contract. I just decided to give them another year and wait to see what the price goes to next summer. If it jumps too much I’ll definitely cut the cord. Internet is $45 and the DirectTV Now package is $65. For $110 I can get what I need without cable.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • youraway2youraway2 Just Old Sticks Members Posts: 1,402 ✭✭

youraway2 wrote:

1. A high quality $25-$60 antenna gets you all the major networks in HD. There are companies making DVR boxes now for over the air broadcasts.

2. Streaming services offer the golf channel, and often local networks, and have a DVR feature.. Check Direct TV Now and Sling. All you need is good internet service. The package with the golf channel on Direct TV Now is $65 a month. Not sure about cost on Sling.

https://cdn.directv....e-packages.html

https://www.sling.com/channels

3. PGA Tour live is NOT complete coverage just like the networks. They feature two premier groups each day and coverage of a few key holes. It is an "extra" service for golf junkies, not really a replacement for network coverage.

Read this.

https://www.nbcsport...d/pga-tour-live

I experimented with cord cutting last year. I got a "free" Apple TV unit when I signed up for 3 months of DirectTV Now last spring. I also bought a $20 antenna off Amazon that works fine for local stations.

Only 2 issues for me.

1. Direct TV Now was still a little rough around the edges at the time. Just didn't feel it was quite ready technically yet. User Interface was sketchy and it would cut out periodically and the guide sometimes would disappear for no reason.

2. My local cable company is great. When I threatened to leave, WOW dropped my price to $132 a month for cable, internet and 2 HD DVR boxes if I did a year contract. I just decided to give them another year and wait to see what the price goes to next summer. If it jumps too much I'll definitely cut the cord. Internet is $45 and the DirectTV Now package is $65. For $110 I can get what I need without cable.

Thanks for the responses to my annual dilemma, cut the cord. Everything says to leave, but when I read the fine print for some of the services (Direct), the cost is only lower for the first 12 months. Streaming may be my best option, I have a Roku box and good internet service. What I get from "cable" outweighs the other options, great service, no hassles, etc. Will keep weighing a tough decision.
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G-400 Max, 10.5, Xtorsion[/font]
    PXG, 15-degree, ACCRA
    PXG, 19-degree hybrid, ACCRA
    Cobra DWS Utility 19-degree
    CF-16, 4-PW, UST Recoil
    0311 PXG, 5-AW, i70 Areotech Steel-fiber
    SW, 56 PXG
    Ping Nickel Anser II