PGA Tour Live Replaced with NBC Gold?

bbr16

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish there was a viable golf option for those of us who have ditched cable, in the MLB.TV or NHL model, but whatever this is, with only Thursday/Friday morning coverage, isn't appealing.

Titleist TS3 w/ Even Flow White
M1 w/ Diamana Thump
M4 Tour w/ Kuro Kage TiNi
GAPR w/ KBS Tour Proto
Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
Vokey 46° 
Hi-Toe 52° & 58°
Bobby Grace Tour Diamond 3

I wish there was a viable golf option for those of us who have ditched cable, in the MLB.TV or NHL model, but whatever this is, with only Thursday/Friday morning coverage, isn't appealing.

Get a firestick :pimp:

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I hope there is some clarification soon. I really like the PGA Tour live app, and don't want to pay for a bunch of stuff I'm not going to watch.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17.25* (Motore F1 7s); 21* Callaway UW (Attas T2 8S); Adams Super 9031 23* (Recoil Prototype Utility 110 F4)
Irons: 5-PW Srixon ZX7 MKII (KBS 120 $ Taper)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

I hope they don't ruin a good thing.

PGA Tour Live had a LOT of technical issues, particularly in a browser, that never seemed like they got fixed. Videos would randomly stop playing with an error message. The feed would randomly refresh itself causing full-screen video to shrink to normal size. I had some issues where the audio would get out of sync as well. I tried different browsers, computers, and even internet/wifi/wired connections -- those same issues cropped up no matter what combination I tried. Not to mention the lack of smart TV/Chromecast/Roku/Apple TV/etc support. Luckily I had an old Android phone I could use to cast the whole screen and audio to the TV, though. For the $40, I wasn't about to complain, but it was far from a "good thing", IMO.

Hopefully with NBC Sports Gold those issues will go away, but I don't subscribe to any other sports through that service, so I have no experience with them. So I remain cautious, especially since NBC seems to be the network adapting the slowest to innovative streaming/over-the-top services.

• 3 weeks later...

No change to PGA Tour Live, just available on NBC Gold too

Not “too”. It’s ONLY available on NBC sports gold.

I was just about to order it for this year because they are offering an “early bird discount “, but the reviews for NBC sports Gold iOS App are absolutely hideous. I mean they are some of the worst I’ve ever seen.

I guess there is no choice if that’s where PGA Tour live is now being delivered for at least 3 years. What a potential mess.

At least They are increasing the amount of coverage for next year. $49.95 if you sign up before the end of the year.

What happens if you subscribed to pga tour live already?

Do you have to purchase a new subsription to the gold?

Yes. It’s season to season. Last years subscription to PGA Tour live CANT be renewed any other way.

You need a new subscription through NBC sports gold. I’m fine with all this except for the terrible App reviews.

Yep, it did. They have an "early bird" special for $49.99.

Won’t make you completely happy, but there is more coverage on this new platform. I like the idea of watching 10 or 20 minute condensed rounds.

Now that the Tour is partnering further with NBC, I wonder what this says about a future PGA Tour channel possibly produced by NBC.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Yep, it did. They have an "early bird" special for $49.99.

Won't make you completely happy, but there is more coverage on this new platform. I like the idea of watching 10 or 20 minute condensed rounds.

Now that the Tour is partnering further with NBC, I wonder what this says about a future PGA Tour channel possibly produced by NBC.

Condensed rounds may be the sole reason I re-up. If they do it as they claim, I'll be able to watch condensed rounds of Saturday featured groups rather than watching the actual broadcast. Now, this is dependent on they have afternoon weekend featured groups for ALL tournaments on the list. If Tiger, Rory, Fleetwood, Mickelson, are in later Saturday groups I want condensed rounds of them.

Very apprehensive about this offering. Not sure what you really get, but sure you don't get Master's coverage. Also they use the term "featured groups", does that mean I won't see complete coverage, as provided by the networks? I use my DVR, play golf during the televised round and watch later, and yes, fast forward through the commercials. I want to cut the cable, but can't find better service, but it's expensive to stay.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

Very apprehensive about this offering. Not sure what you really get, but sure you don't get Master's coverage. Also they use the term "featured groups", does that mean I won't see complete coverage, as provided by the networks? I use my DVR, play golf during the televised round and watch later, and yes, fast forward through the commercials. I want to cut the cable, but can't find better service, but it's expensive to stay.

With the featured groups, you'll see more coverage than you do on network TV of the featured group, but no they won't be showing early round coverage of the non-stars. Most people don't want to see that anyway.

No, you aren't getting Masters coverage. You'll have to stick to ESPN, CBS, the Masters app, DirecTV, and the Masters website for that. They've done some neat things with the app and DirecTV though. I've seen Amen corner on 4K in 2017 which was really neat.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

A potential solution to your dilemma for watching golf and the desire to cut the cord --- For weekend coverage you can watch it and record it on the local broadcast network for free. All you need is an antenna (maybe outdoor antenna) and "over the air" DVR such as Tablo. For weekday coverage subscribe to Sling or YouTube TV both have DVR options. I can't watch golf without being able to fast forward through the commercials. Let me know if you want more details.

1. A high quality $25-$60 antenna gets you all the major networks in HD. There are companies making DVR boxes now for over the air broadcasts.

2. Streaming services offer the golf channel, and often local networks, and have a DVR feature.. Check Direct TV Now and Sling. All you need is good internet service. The package with the golf channel on Direct TV Now is $65 a month. Not sure about cost on Sling.

https://cdn.directv.com/content/dam/dtv/prod/website_directvnow/modals/compare-packages.html

https://www.sling.com/channels

3. PGA Tour live is NOT complete coverage just like the networks. They feature two premier groups each day and coverage of a few key holes. It is an “extra” service for golf junkies, not really a replacement for network coverage.

Read this.

https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/pga-tour-live

I experimented with cord cutting last year. I got a “free” Apple TV unit when I signed up for 3 months of DirectTV Now last spring. I also bought a $20 antenna off Amazon that works fine for local stations.

Only 2 issues for me.

1. Direct TV Now was still a little rough around the edges at the time. Just didn’t feel it was quite ready technically yet. User Interface was sketchy and it would cut out periodically and the guide sometimes would disappear for no reason.

2. My local cable company is great. When I threatened to leave, WOW dropped my price to $132 a month for cable, internet and 2 HD DVR boxes if I did a year contract. I just decided to give them another year and wait to see what the price goes to next summer. If it jumps too much I’ll definitely cut the cord. Internet is $45 and the DirectTV Now package is $65. For $110 I can get what I need without cable.