Students living on a course.. How to make money?

calfan36calfan36 Members Posts: 153 ✭✭
Hey guys, I live in a house of medical/dental students and our house is located on the 6th hole of a course. It is nice layout but not super well maintained, and thus a lower priced course for the area (Phoenix area).



We were talking about maybe trying to sell stuff from out backyard to people playing to make some extra money.



The problem is we're super busy and not home for a lot of the day.



Any ideas of things we could do, especially for when we are not physically there? I've played at courses where I've seen people leave drinks outside their yard and ask for a couple bucks on the honor system, but since this is a cheaper course, I feel like people would just take stuff without paying. Also the cart girl would probably get mad.

Comments

  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,273 ✭✭
    edited Nov 29, 2018 #2
    Collect water balls from the ponds and sell them on weekends.



    Breast exams on ladies days could work also.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers Posts: 15,431 ✭✭
    You might find that unless you all are elementary age selling lemonade or holding a garage sale, you may get a visit from the city sales tax offical looking for the cities cut of the proceeds, and see if you're licensed to do business. The landlord may have something to say about it too, as he's the one the city will go after. My 2Cents. image/beach.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':beach:' />
    • Titleist TS2 9.5, Project X6C12 Tour Issue
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, Blueboard 83 x5ct,"S"
    • Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, KBS C-Taper Tour
    • Titleist 716CB 3i-PW, KBS C-Taper Tour
    • SM6 F-52*, KBS Tour "S+"
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1


  • kozubskozubs Members Posts: 274 ✭✭
    Medical students eh?



    Valium or Diazepam would probably go over really well. I'm sure you can find some



    You can always leave it out there with a coffee can on an honor system. I know there are many days on the course where I could have used some.
  • macedanmacedan Members Posts: 217 ✭✭
    calfan36 wrote:


    Hey guys, I live in a house of medical/dental students and our house is located on the 6th hole of a course. It is nice layout but not super well maintained, and thus a lower priced course for the area (Phoenix area).



    We were talking about maybe trying to sell stuff from out backyard to people playing to make some extra money.



    The problem is we're super busy and not home for a lot of the day.



    Any ideas of things we could do, especially for when we are not physically there? I've played at courses where I've seen people leave drinks outside their yard and ask for a couple bucks on the honor system, but since this is a cheaper course, I feel like people would just take stuff without paying. Also the cart girl would probably get mad.




    This is a thing?
    Ping G400 10*
    Mizuno ST180 3W 15*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 5W 18*
    Ping G Crossover 21*
    Taylormade Rocketbladez (5-PW)
    Cleveland CBX 50/11
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54/10
    Cleveland RTX-3 58/9
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Taylormade RBZ Urethane | Project A
    Bag: Taylormade Flextech Lite Black/Green
  • Rory4PresRory4Pres Members Posts: 913 ✭✭
    You could pay a local neighborhood kid to stand around all day trying to sell soda and beer at a slight discount from the course rates....but the kid may steal your profits and wind up drunk at the end each day. lucky neighborhood kid.
  • KGilmaKGilma Members Posts: 148 ✭✭
    macedan wrote:

    calfan36 wrote:


    Hey guys, I live in a house of medical/dental students and our house is located on the 6th hole of a course. It is nice layout but not super well maintained, and thus a lower priced course for the area (Phoenix area).



    We were talking about maybe trying to sell stuff from out backyard to people playing to make some extra money.



    The problem is we're super busy and not home for a lot of the day.



    Any ideas of things we could do, especially for when we are not physically there? I've played at courses where I've seen people leave drinks outside their yard and ask for a couple bucks on the honor system, but since this is a cheaper course, I feel like people would just take stuff without paying. Also the cart girl would probably get mad.




    This is a thing?




    Yeah there is a guy on a course near my house, his house lines #5. He sells bottled water and found balls from his yard for $1 a piece on the honor system.
    Cobra King F9 9* Tensei Pro Orange 60
    Cobra King F9 3w 14.5*
    Cobra King F6 Baffler 5w 17.5*
    Cobra King Utility 3/4 21*
    Cobra King F6 irons 5-GW
    Titleist Vokey SM7 56*
    Scotty Newport 2
  • bobcatbobcat Members Posts: 3,920 ✭✭
    edited Nov 30, 2018 #8
    Go buy some ****, a wig, short shorts, a tank top, and some makeup... image/yes.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':yes:' />



    Then apply to be a 'Cart Girl' ... image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />





    Post edited by Unknown User on
    What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

    Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
    Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
    Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
    Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
    Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
    Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
    Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
    Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
    Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft
  • MychMych Members Posts: 1,816 ✭✭
    I've seen "yard balls", bug spray, and sunscreen sold for "donations" or a set price on the honor system, especially if there is some cause or charity associated with the donations.



    Other than that, I can't think of much that golfers would want to buy during a round (other than liquor). Competing with the cart girl or pro shop is a quick way to get shut down. I wouldn't mind occasionally having access to wifi, but I don't think that's going to be a revenue stream.



    If you had someone who does club repair on the side, you could probably get some business by setting out some business cards, but there wouldn't be anything that you could really do during a round that would be worth the time/effort.
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 10.5*~ F6 Baffler 4-5w ~ Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 3H ~ King Utility ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~ Nike MC-02W
    6 club minimalist: Cobra King Utility ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ Nike MC-02W ~ Silo Club Carrier
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,224 ✭✭
    edited Nov 29, 2018 #10
    macedan wrote:

    calfan36 wrote:


    Hey guys, I live in a house of medical/dental students and our house is located on the 6th hole of a course. It is nice layout but not super well maintained, and thus a lower priced course for the area (Phoenix area).



    We were talking about maybe trying to sell stuff from out backyard to people playing to make some extra money.



    The problem is we're super busy and not home for a lot of the day.



    Any ideas of things we could do, especially for when we are not physically there? I've played at courses where I've seen people leave drinks outside their yard and ask for a couple bucks on the honor system, but since this is a cheaper course, I feel like people would just take stuff without paying. Also the cart girl would probably get mad.




    This is a thing?




    Sure. We have a city course designed by Robert Trent Jones Sr. called Champions that you can see this just next to the tee at the 11th at the very back of someone’s yard.



    Table with a plexiglass box divided into 3 sections. One dollar for a nice ball. 50 cents for a so-so ball. 2 dollars for a nice ProV.



    A cooler with ice and bottled water next to the table for one dollar. A hand written sign tells you prices and where to put the money. You slide your money through a slot in the top of another box that is attached to the table.



    There is a woods to the left of the hard dogleg right fairway that I’m sure they pick the balls out of every few days. I know I’ve donated there many times. It’s like their own ATM. I always take a peak to see if there are any nice ones in the dollar box.





    P.S....they also have a hen house and lots of nice looking chickens cruising around the back yard. I’ve often wondered if they’d sell me a chicken for dinner. ; )
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • calfan36calfan36 Members Posts: 153 ✭✭
    Mych wrote:


    I've seen "yard balls", bug spray, and sunscreen sold for "donations" or a set price on the honor system, especially if there is some cause or charity associated with the donations.



    Other than that, I can't think of much that golfers would want to buy during a round (other than liquor). Competing with the cart girl or pro shop is a quick way to get shut down. I wouldn't mind occasionally having access to wifi, but I don't think that's going to be a revenue stream.



    If you had someone who does club repair on the side, you could probably get some business by setting out some business cards, but there wouldn't be anything that you could really do during a round that would be worth the time/effort.




    Not a bad idea. I build my own clubs, tho I don't have a regripping station here
  • davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    Have you considered actually getting a job there? Maintenance work usually starts well before dawn, and a big part of it is over by the time classes would start.
  • calfan36calfan36 Members Posts: 153 ✭✭
    davep043 wrote:


    Have you considered actually getting a job there? Maintenance work usually starts well before dawn, and a big part of it is over by the time classes would start.




    I don't wanna get 3 hours of sleep a night lol
  • gatorMDgatorMD Hacker-in-Chief ClubWRX Posts: 4,564 ClubWRX
    this is a dumb idea. sorry. focus on your studies and getting into a good residnecy.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 9 Tour AD MT 6
    3W: TM M2 Tour AD MT 7
    Utility: Srixon Z U65 3/19 Tour AD DI
    Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 4-9 Tour V
    Wedges: SM7 46F, 50F, 54F, and 60K KBS Tour
    Putter: SC Newport 3
    Ball: AVX/ProV1
  • calfan36calfan36 Members Posts: 153 ✭✭
    gatorMD wrote:


    this is a dumb idea. sorry. focus on your studies and getting into a good residnecy.




    I'm dental and plan to be general, no residency
  • jerebear21jerebear21 Don't Go Left ClubWRX Posts: 3,260 ClubWRX
    focus on your studies and passing your boards. Play more golf on your free time. Your student loans ain't going to pay itself with pennies/dollars off gimmicky back yard sales.
    thehuyhuynhfoundation.com
    FlashSz 1w, 3w, 5w, Graphite Design
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW, AP3 4i, 3i Accra i100
    Fourteen RM22 53/58 Accra i100
    Tour Newport // SC 009 
  • Chief IlliniwekChief Illiniwek Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭
    gatorMD wrote:


    this is a dumb idea. sorry. focus on your studies and getting into a good residnecy.




  • MychMych Members Posts: 1,816 ✭✭
    I love a good side hustle. I was playing this weekend and kept thinking about this discussion.



    You might be able to do some unique snacks that are different than what the cart girl would offer, but you'd probably have to have someone manning it. Custom trail mixes, rice krispy snacks, slim jims, etc. Another idea would be to buy an inexpensive popcorn machine and use the smell of the fresh popcorn to draw people over.



    I would definitely play up the "broke college student" angle. In the past I've found that people are very willing to help people that are trying to help themselves, so if they see you guys trying to raise money, they'll help.
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 10.5*~ F6 Baffler 4-5w ~ Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 3H ~ King Utility ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~ Nike MC-02W
    6 club minimalist: Cobra King Utility ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ Nike MC-02W ~ Silo Club Carrier
Sign In or Register to comment.