Rick Shiels - Wilson Staff Cortex Review

Can we put together a list of sayings that Rick will put in is review and/or perhaps even place a wager on the review and outcome...here are a few to get things started:

1). “It checks ALL the boxes”

2). “Would it go in my bag, Yeah...it would”

3). “It does exactly what I need it to do”

WILL HE PUT IT IN HIS BAG? YES or NO

WILL HE BE HITTING IT WITH THE STOCK FUJIKURA ATMOS SHAFT? YES or NO

Comments

• Mr. GrumpyMr. Grumpy The Quintana Changeup, sit em dwn Members Posts: 2,266 ✭✭
    Clickbait,,, I came expecting a review
  • Steel DilloSteel Dillo Members Posts: 181 ✭✭
    edited Dec 1, 2018 #3
    I've never seen the hate for a club like I've witnessed with the Cortex. It's like people want to be a part of the "IN" crowd, so they join in the bullying of the new kid who represents something different from the status quo
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Gary GutfulGary Gutful Members Posts: 1,167 ✭✭
    I would rather watch Bobcat review the SLDR-C.
  • TzoidTzoid Members Posts: 1,644 ✭✭
    edited Nov 29, 2018 #5

I've never seen the hate for a club like I've witnessed with the Cortex. It's like people want to be a part of the "IN" crowd, so they join in the bullying of the new kid who represents something different from the status

You're the third comment post.... I'm # 5. where is the HATE ? Are you suffering from something we should all know about?
    Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"
    Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
    Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
    Ping G25 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
    ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
    Scratch 50 54 58 Forged Wedges Nippon WV 115 Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless
    Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser Custom
    Titleist Pro V-1X
  • ChristopherMcDonaldChristopherMcDonald Members Posts: 2,396 ✭✭
    Tzoid wrote:

I've never seen the hate for a club like I've witnessed with the Cortex. It's like people want to be a part of the "IN" crowd, so they join in the bullying of the new kid who represents something different from the status

You're the third comment post.... I'm # 5. where is the HATE ? Are you suffering from something we should all know about?

check out the other 14-15 page post regarding the Cortex; that's what's he's referencing
    King LTD Rogue 95 MSI
    2007 Burner 3 Wood Aldila Serrano 75
    2007 Burner 5 Wood Aldila Serrano 75
    Taylormade Jetspeed Hybrid True Temper Project X 6.0
    Adams XTD Tour 5-GW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 AMT
    Scratch Tour Issue 1018 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 AMT
    Scratch Tour Issue 1018 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 AMT
    Custom Cameron & Crown 5MB
    Wilson Staff Duo
    Tzoid wrote:

He’s a skiTZOID.

Can I join the ‘in crowd’ now?
  • TzoidTzoid Members Posts: 1,644 ✭✭
    Nobody got time for Negativity
    Texan stranded in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland"
    Ping G400 Max Driver Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 60
    Ping G400 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 110 M.S.I. 70
    Ping G25 20 & Anser 23 Hybrid
    ONOFF KURO 2015 4-PW N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 120S
    Scratch 50 54 58 Forged Wedges Nippon WV 115 Shafts
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Stainless
    Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser Custom
    Titleist Pro V-1X
  • mackepamackepa #TheWRX Members Posts: 3,586 ✭✭
    I held the driver in the store the other day. I think it’s a really sharp looking driver from address.

I didn’t watch the show but wasn’t Rick one of the judges? That would leave me to believe that he’ll put it in his bag.
    #TheWRX 12/11/16
    Epic Flash SZ 9* AD IZ 6
    Epic Flash SZ 15* AD IZ 8
    Apex 20* AD IZ 85
    Apex Pro 19 4-PW KBS Proto
    MD4 52s, 56s, 60x KBS $-Taper
    Toulon Austin Longneck Garage
    Jones Utility Rover
    Chromesoft X
  • uscgolfguyuscgolfguy Members Posts: 176
    edited Nov 29, 2018 #11

I’ve never seen the hate for a club like I’ve witnessed with the Cortex. It’s like people want to be a part of the “IN” crowd, so they join in the bullying of the new kid who represents something different from the status

Never said or used the term “HATE”.

Wilson has taken a new, different and unique approach to launching a new product. I’m more curious to see how it is or isn’t accepted and the reasons why. Posted the above, because a debate had started on another thread, so I decided it may be worthy to have it’s own.

Thanks for playing...

P.S. what else is there to talk about? It’s called “conversation” for a reason

Tzoid wrote:

check out the other 14-15 page post regarding the Cortex; that's what's he's referencing

Exactly
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,096 ✭✭

Lol. I’d watch that. At least once. Then we can get Opinder to give some milling tips at the end !
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,074 ✭✭
    Mr. Grumpy wrote:

Got me too
  • craz-ecraz-e Members Posts: 4,032 ✭✭
    I will watch his review as I watch most reviews on YouTube, it will be an interesting watch. I imagine the review will be quite favourable as Rick has an interest in this product being on the show so possibly not the most neutral.
    Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    5 Wood = Taylormade Burner

Irons = Miura 1957 Baby Blades Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wilson Staff FG59 DG S300's (4-PW)
    Titleist 718 MB Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56* and 60*

= Taylormade 64* Hi-Toe
    Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
  • ZBigStickZBigStick Practice Perfect Form Members Posts: 5,313 ✭✭
    I’ve never seen the hate for a club like I’ve witnessed with the Cortex. It’s like people want to be a part of the “IN” crowd, so they join in the bullying of the new kid who represents something different from the status

There is absolutely nothing different about the club except it’s marketing. Which has garnered quite a bit of criticism.

I don’t think people hate the club, they hate the conception, pricing, promotion and distribution of this club.
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]M4 9.5˚(10˚) GD TP-6[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]BB Alpha 816 16˚(15˚) Rogue I/O 70
    Apex 20˚ Kuro Kage Black 80
    [/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Z U45 23˚ Steelfiber i95
    Z 745 5-PW Steelfiber i110 cw
    [/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]RTX-4 50˚M, 56˚F (55˚), 60˚F S400 ti[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Spider Tour L-neck Silver
    Pro V1 2017
    [/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]TP-5[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Oakley Targetline Prizm Golf Dark[/font]
    uscgolfguy wrote:

P.S. what else is there to talk about? It's called "conversation" for a reason

The "conversation" was already going in the other thread. No need for this to even exist.
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,173 ✭✭
    Rick started as a guy just reviewing clubs and giving some lessons. He's now an entertainer and golf "personality". I put exactly 0 cares into what his opinion is on clubs anymore. He's about as useful as Golf Digest "top 10" or whatever they do every year.

If I want club reviews and actual meaningful conclusions drawn from unbiased testing, I'll stick with TXG, maybe GolfBox. I'd rather just go hit something myself instead of relying on some pundit to tell me what it's like anyway.
    WITB
    DRIVER MIA
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge (Hi Toe 58 KBS Wedge in test)
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• Joker91Joker91 Members Posts: 453 ✭✭

If this whole Driver vs Driver thing was done by TM, Titleist, Callaway, Cobra, Ping, etc., people would be drooling all over it. All the snobs look down thier nose at Wilson
  • jonn443jonn443 Jonnystx Members Posts: 4,587 ✭✭
    edited Nov 29, 2018 #20
    Z1ggy16 wrote:

Rick started as a guy just reviewing clubs and giving some lessons. He's now an entertainer and golf "personality". I put exactly 0 cares into what his opinion is on clubs anymore. He's about as useful as Golf Digest "top 10" or whatever they do every year.

If I want club reviews and actual meaningful conclusions drawn from unbiased testing, I'll stick with TXG, maybe GolfBox. I'd rather just go hit something myself instead of relying on some pundit to tell me what it's like anyway.

Come on... The "HOT LIST" is exactly what everyone should be basing their buying decisions on. They can't be wrong... It's in Golf Digest.

The Gold List are always the best Jerry... The best.
    AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
    AB TP 3HL / 757
    XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
    DWS 24*/ VS Proto
    J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
    X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
    Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0
  • uscgolfguyuscgolfguy Members Posts: 176

uscgolfguy wrote:

P.S. what else is there to talk about? It's called "conversation" for a reason

The "conversation" was already going in the other thread. No need for this to even exist.

Kinda my point...AND you responded...

So far, 19 comments and 850 views...AND everyone has an “opinion”. No one has actually followed the suggested directions or responded to the questions raised in the post.
  • John - MemphisJohn - Memphis Members Posts: 48 ✭✭
    Z1ggy16 wrote:

This is someone that knows what they're talking about. TXG is the best
  • EvolvedEvolved Members Posts: 735 ✭✭
    Considering Rick was paid to be involved with this club I doubt he'll say anything negative, then again, he never does. I stopped watching Rick's videos as they generally are all the same. Every "review" is the same. Same cliche phrases and rarely ever a negative comment.
  • mrmikeacmrmikeac Members Posts: 365 ✭✭
    Lol don’t even get me started on Hollywood Rick. Can’t trust this guy worth a ****, all he is now is clickbait and marketing, full of lies.

I’ll stick with TXG, Crossfield, Etches, James Robinson and Michael Newton

Rick swallows more nuts than a squirrel.
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus, 10.5 Degrees set at 9.5, Weight Neutral, Tensei Orange 60 Gram Stiff
    3 Wood: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero, HZRDUS Smoke 70 Gram 6.0
    3 Hybrid: Ping G410 19 Degrees, Tensei Blue 80 Gram Stiff
    2 Iron: Taylormade P790 UDI, Project X HZDRUS Black 85g 6.0
    5-PW: Taylormade P760’s, Nippon Pro Modus Tour 120 Stiff
    50 Degree: Cleveland RTX 4, 10 Bounce, Mid Grind, Black Satin, Nippon Pro Modus 125 Wedge Flex
    54 Degree: Cleveland RTX 4, 10 Bounce, Mid Grind, Black Satin, Nippon Pro Modus 125 Wedge Flex
    58 Degree: TaylorMade Hi-Toe, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Putter: 34” Scotty Cameron Phantom X #8 
    Ball: Taylormade TP5
  • ChristopherMcDonaldChristopherMcDonald Members Posts: 2,396 ✭✭
    mrmikeac wrote:

Lol don’t even get me started on Hollywood Rick. Can’t trust this guy worth a ****, all he is now is clickbait and marketing, full of lies.

I’ll stick with TXG, Crossfield, Etches, James Robinson and Michael Newton

Absolutely hilarious, but a tad bit unnecessary lol
    King LTD Rogue 95 MSI
    2007 Burner 3 Wood Aldila Serrano 75
    2007 Burner 5 Wood Aldila Serrano 75
    Taylormade Jetspeed Hybrid True Temper Project X 6.0
    Adams XTD Tour 5-GW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 AMT
    Scratch Tour Issue 1018 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 AMT
    Scratch Tour Issue 1018 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 AMT
    Custom Cameron & Crown 5MB
    Wilson Staff Duo
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,195 ✭✭
    Z1ggy16 wrote:

Same with Crossfield. Difference is Rick can say the same baloney in 7 minutes versus 25.
  • manxytagmanxytag Members Posts: 515 ✭✭
    Hollywood Ricks sell by date is fast approaching
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,173 ✭✭
    mrmikeac wrote:

Lol don't even get me started on Hollywood Rick. Can't trust this guy worth a ****, all he is now is clickbait and marketing, full of lies.

I'll stick with TXG, Crossfield, Etches, James Robinson and Michael Newton

Ah yes, I forgot about Mike Newton. He's another quality reviewer. Crossfield... mehhhh. He kind of just says 'all clubs the same now, ya'll, go get fit!' which is sort of true... but it's not that helpful. There's definitely subtle differences in clubs that should be noted.

Robinson's vids are also okay. Seems like a decent guy.
    WITB
    DRIVER MIA
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge (Hi Toe 58 KBS Wedge in test)
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• mrmikeacmrmikeac Members Posts: 365 ✭✭
    Z1ggy16 wrote:

mrmikeac wrote:

Lol don't even get me started on Hollywood Rick. Can't trust this guy worth a ****, all he is now is clickbait and marketing, full of lies.

I'll stick with TXG, Crossfield, Etches, James Robinson and Michael Newton

Ah yes, I forgot about Mike Newton. He's another quality reviewer. Crossfield... mehhhh. He kind of just says 'all clubs the same now, ya'll, go get fit!' which is sort of true... but it's not that helpful. There's definitely subtle differences in clubs that should be noted.

Robinson's vids are also okay. Seems like a decent guy.

I understand Crossfield can be quite sour and stubborn at times but his course vlogs and club reviews are great, he’s not afraid to put his opinion out there, even if it’s a Titleist product, if it’s sh*t, he will say it’s sh*t. He may be a little harsh on certain products that come out and as bad as him and TaylorMade got into it, he still puts out high praise for the M drivers. Can’t wait to see what he has to say about the P760’s on Monday...
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus, 10.5 Degrees set at 9.5, Weight Neutral, Tensei Orange 60 Gram Stiff
    3 Wood: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero, HZRDUS Smoke 70 Gram 6.0
    3 Hybrid: Ping G410 19 Degrees, Tensei Blue 80 Gram Stiff
    2 Iron: Taylormade P790 UDI, Project X HZDRUS Black 85g 6.0
    5-PW: Taylormade P760’s, Nippon Pro Modus Tour 120 Stiff
    50 Degree: Cleveland RTX 4, 10 Bounce, Mid Grind, Black Satin, Nippon Pro Modus 125 Wedge Flex
    54 Degree: Cleveland RTX 4, 10 Bounce, Mid Grind, Black Satin, Nippon Pro Modus 125 Wedge Flex
    58 Degree: TaylorMade Hi-Toe, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Putter: 34” Scotty Cameron Phantom X #8 
    Ball: Taylormade TP5
  • Jacked_LoftJacked_Loft Steps Ahead Members Posts: 487 ✭✭
    GoGoErky wrote:

Mr. Grumpy wrote:

Got me too

I fell for it also.
    WIMB:

`16 M1 9.5 Fuji Evo TS 661
    `17 M1 3&5 Kuro Kage 70
    P790 3I Nippon 950
    P770 4-GW Nippon 950
    MG 56° LB KBS REV
    Spider Tour BLK
    H2NO Carry
  • TexasCarlosTexasCarlos Unregistered Posts: 861 ✭✭
    Unless you hit an enormous freaking hook with every swing than Shiels is useless, he rights off basically anything expensive or that works for a low spin player.
    G400 LST
    TM SLDR TS
    Apex UT 18'
    Apex MB 18'
    RTX 2.0 Raw
    Ping Anser Milled