Rick Shiels - Wilson Staff Cortex Review

Comments

• MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,747 ✭✭
    Glad to see that I am not the only one who has given up on Shiels! I was thinking that I was perhaps being a little harsh but he has gone from being the first vlogger I used to check out to being the one I will watch if I literally have nothing else to do. Him trying to move into being more of a presenter as well is horrendous. The stuff he did at The Open was awful.

I would rather watch Bobcat review the SLDR-C.

Highlight of WRX today, Barvo GG!
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭
    edited Nov 30, 2018 #33
    jezz, i dont get all the shade at Rick. he does a decent job, i find him funny and more entertaining the Mark. i feel that people dont like him because he is successful. which is pathetic.

people can label him a sellout, but i would sell out in an instant. as would everyone.
    Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 9*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
    3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP18MMC FLIHI
    5-9 IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 48, 53, 58, 64
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
    BALL; various, ask me that day.
  • dtowngolfdtowngolf Members Posts: 693
    edited Nov 30, 2018 #34
    Does it really matter? I have the upmost respect for what he does but I could honestly care less what any of the social media guys play.
  • SEP1006SEP1006 Pearland, Tx.ClubWRX Posts: 853 ClubWRX

I've never seen the hate for a club like I've witnessed with the Cortex. It's like people want to be a part of the "IN" crowd, so they join in the bullying of the new kid who represents something different from the status

Ummm, have you read any of the PXG threads??

COBRA F9 Speedback 10.5*| UST Helium F3
    COBRA F9 Speedback 3wd | Fujikura Atmos Blue Tour Spec 6R
    ADAMS PRO A12 - 2 & 3 Hybrids | UST Mamiya VTS Silver
    PXG GEN-2 0311XF 4 - 6 irons | Accra Tour 100i Graphite Stiff 
    PXG GEN-2 0311P 7 - GW irons | Accra Tour 100i Graphite Stiff 
    PING GLIDE STEALTH 2.0 SW 54* - 12 | Wedge Flex
    PING GLIDE STEALTH 2.0 LW 58* - 6 | Wedge Flex
    PXG GUNBOAT H Putter
    PXG STAFF BAG

• bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ClubWRX Posts: 3,190 ClubWRX
    edited Nov 30, 2018 #36
    I don’t understand why people get so upset at shiels. It must be jealousy. He’s Just a guy that reviews golf clubs and gives opinions. What in the world could he do to upset folks?! Seriously folks, some of you really need to relax. If you don’t like his style, don’t watch. I don’t understand why folks trash the guy for no apparent reason.
    Taylormade M1 (2017) 440 9.5* tour w/Atmos Black TS 6x<br />Taylormade M6 Rocket 3 w/Atmos Black 7s<br />Taylormade p790 3-pw <br />Taylormade hi-toe 52-9 and 58-10 wedges <br />Taylormade Spider Mallet 72
  • J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,279 ✭✭
    1. Rick Shiels does a good job with the reviews especially the new format

2. Good for him in getting the WS/Golf Channel gig

3. Cortex is overpriced and will do marginally better than Triton but still fail by industry standards. My guess is they didn't make many.
    Callaway Flash SZ 9* / ROGUE 130msi Silver 70TX
    Nike VR Pro LTD 15* / Aldila RIP 80X
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey White Hot Versa #6 Tour issue
    Srixon Zstar XV

GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub

GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

INSTAGRAM- @Jminis13
  • kmay__kmay__ Members Posts: 218 ✭✭
    "I've absolutely ripped that one" haha
    TM 17' M2 9.5*
    Cobra Bio-Cell 16.5*
    PING G30 4 22*
    TM R11 5 - PW
    Mizuno MP-T5 50*, 54*
    Callaway PM Grind 60* (the greasy Phil)
    SC studio select Newport 2 mid-slant
  • Louisking1Louisking1 Members Posts: 152 ✭✭
    Shiels does just an ok job in my opinion befare crossfield straight as die crossy. I didn’t really like the reviews shiels did on the mizuno woods I would see y he hates the sound personal opinion but then he disses the blue colour on the heads when games a cobra f7 3 wood in cheap tacky blue finish which is just horrible and the blue on mizunos is actually nice and Rick only uploads like 1 or twice a months at least crossfield is one or two a day with vlogs 👍🏼
  • bobcatbobcat Members Posts: 3,916 ✭✭
    edited Nov 30, 2018 #40

I would rather watch Bobcat review the SLDR-C.

Right On Gary!...Just do a search to find one!... image/good.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':good:' />

image/golfer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':golfer:' />
    What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
    Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
    Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
    Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
    Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
    Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
    Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
    Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
    Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft
  • daleheaddalehead Members Posts: 1,441 ✭✭
    QuigleyDU wrote:

jezz, i dont get all the shade at Rick. he does a decent job, i find him funny and more entertaining the Mark. i feel that people dont like him because he is successful. which is pathetic.

people can label him a sellout, but i would sell out in an instant. as would everyone.

Exactly. You see the same pattern everywhere. The early adopters say your cool, insightful, independent, objective. When you become popular the same people call you a sell out and "Hollywood".

Unless you hit an enormous freaking hook with every swing than Shiels is useless, he rights off basically anything expensive or that works for a low spin player.

Disagree about him writing off anything that works for a low spin player, after all he plays a G400 LS. He does point out that low spin drivers are not a good match for golfers with slow swing speeds.
    If you're watching any of these reviewers for anything but basic information and entertainment you're wasting your time. Why? Because any club will work. Assuming it's at least a close fit, in the hands of a skilled golfer it will hit the ball straight and an appropriate distance. Does that mean it will work in your hands? Absolutely not. Conversely a club that one reviewer doesn't like may be perfect for you. If you are in the market for new clubs spend you time going to a demo day or getting a fitting instead of watching You Tube videos.
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭
    dalehead wrote:

If you're watching any of these reviewers for anything but basic information and entertainment you're wasting your time. Why? Because any club will work. Assuming it's at least a close fit, in the hands of a skilled golfer it will hit the ball straight and an appropriate distance. Does that mean it will work in your hands? Absolutely not. Conversely a club that one reviewer doesn't like may be perfect for you. If you are in the market for new clubs spend you time going to a demo day or getting a fitting instead of watching You Tube videos.

+1
    Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 9*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: NIKE VAPOR 13*
    3-4 IRON: MIZZY MP18MMC FLIHI
    5-9 IRONS: MP5 DG AMT X100
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 48, 53, 58, 64
    PUTTER; RIFE Cayman
    BALL; various, ask me that day.
  • Joker91Joker91 Members Posts: 452 ✭✭
    Rick is still ok, but has gotten more clickbaity with his content. "Want to hole more putts? Just do THIS!!!!" stuff like that. The fun stuff like the old clubs, the grooveless wedge, and the 750cc driver are interesting. I do miss the old vlogs with Pete, Carter, and Fryer.

His reviews are fine, no better or worse than anyone else out there. I do like that he takes clubs out on the course now. His swing speed/skill set are what they are and not comparable to the average golfer. Most reviewers aren't. His mid handicap reviews with Rob Potter were nice when he was running those.

I find myself watching Crossfield more and more recently. I couldn't stand him and the group in the vlogs when I first started watching, but they have grown on me. His reviews are fine too. He's more willing to speak his mind than some of the other guys out there.
  • uscgolfguyuscgolfguy Members Posts: 176
    edited Nov 30, 2018 #46
    kmay__ wrote:

"I've absolutely ripped that one" haha

First one to actually provide a quote....SO, how is that Triton working out?

• andrieddleandrieddle Members Posts: 1,798 ✭✭
    Cortex might get some traction if the tour players are gaming them, if they don't then it won't stand a chance. Same goes for Mizuno and Srixon woods. Cobra woods are being played by their tour players and doing ok.
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Cobra Fly Z+ (11)
    Cobra Bio Cell 4W (16)
    TaylorMade R15 4H (21)
    FourteeN TC 606 (5-P/A)

Bridgestone J15 (50)
    Callaway MD2 (56/60)
    Odyssey EXO 7S
    [/font]
  • RATRAT RAT Members Posts: 197
    Well I just gave the Cortex a test flight and it's for real ! A "THUNDERBOLT" . This club is as better then any out there!!! !! My neighbor just dumped his nice new TM M ? what ever for the Cortex and It is truly a contender for " Driver of the Year". Gary Woodland has seen the light and switched to Wilson.. The Cortex is not only the best looking club driver ever, it will be the club you will want after you try it ..
  • mrmikeacmrmikeac Members Posts: 365 ✭✭
    RAT wrote:

Well I just gave the Cortex a test flight and it's for real ! A "THUNDERBOLT" . This club is as better then any out there!!! !! My neighbor just dumped his nice new TM M ? what ever for the Cortex and It is truly a contender for " Driver of the Year". Gary Woodland has seen the light and switched to Wilson.. The Cortex is not only the best looking club driver ever, it will be the club you will want after you try it ..

Uhhhhhhhhh....ok.......................I’ll stick with my TS2 but thank you for the VERY convincing and persuasive uhhhhhhhhh, write up? Yeah, write up. Good talk.

mrmikeac wrote:

RAT wrote:

Uhhhhhhhhh....ok.......................I’ll stick with my TS2 but thank you for the VERY convincing and persuasive uhhhhhhhhh, write up? Yeah, write up. Good talk.

Gary Woodland has seen the light BAHHAHAHAHAHAHA
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus, 10.5 Degrees set at 9.5, Weight Neutral, Tensei Orange 60 Gram Stiff
    3 Wood: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero, HZRDUS Smoke 70 Gram 6.0
    3 Hybrid: Ping G410 19 Degrees, Tensei Blue 80 Gram Stiff
    2 Iron: Taylormade P790 UDI, Project X HZDRUS Black 85g 6.0
    5-PW: Taylormade P760’s, Nippon Pro Modus Tour 120 Stiff
    50 Degree: Cleveland RTX 4, 10 Bounce, Mid Grind, Black Satin, Nippon Pro Modus 125 Wedge Flex
    54 Degree: Cleveland RTX 4, 10 Bounce, Mid Grind, Black Satin, Nippon Pro Modus 125 Wedge Flex
    58 Degree: TaylorMade Hi-Toe, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Putter: 34” Scotty Cameron Phantom X #8 
    Ball: Taylormade TP5
    Current pulse...

49 comments, 3,599 views and so far only one individual followed the directions despite everyone else going CrAzY &#55357;&#56860; about Rick Shiels....OH, and a few “clickbaits”!!!

Maybe we should start another thread titled “What’s Your Thoughts on Rick Shiels” just to see how far off tangent we can get and how many people we can upset???

Maybe we should have a Wilson Shootout...Triton vs. Cortex...The Ultimate Loser...
  • boggymanboggyman Members Posts: 2,546 ✭✭
    mrmikeac wrote:

RAT wrote:

mrmikeac wrote:

RAT wrote:

Gary Woodland has seen the light BAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Short and simple here Jr, it put my Rogue to rest. Hope you enjoy your TS2.✌️
  • Gary GutfulGary Gutful Members Posts: 1,167 ✭✭
    uscgolfguy wrote:

Current pulse...

49 comments, 3,599 views and so far only one individual followed the directions despite everyone else going CrAzY �� about Rick Shiels....OH, and a few “clickbaits”!!!

Maybe we should start another thread titled “What’s Your Thoughts on Rick Shiels” just to see how far off tangent we can get and how many people we can upset???

Maybe we should have a Wilson Shootout...Triton vs. Cortex...The Ultimate Loser...

Please don't start another thread.
  • marlowe70marlowe70 righty playing lefty Members Posts: 246 ✭✭
    With him being at the show....

Why isn`t he the first one to post a review?

uscgolfguy wrote:

Current pulse...

49 comments, 3,599 views and so far only one individual followed the directions despite everyone else going CrAzY �� about Rick Shiels....OH, and a few “clickbaits”!!!

Please don't start another thread.

HA!
  • Double GeeDouble Gee Members Posts: 1,081 ✭✭
    Tzoid wrote:

I've never seen the hate for a club like I've witnessed with the Cortex. It's like people want to be a part of the "IN" crowd, so they join in the bullying of the new kid who represents something different from the status

You're the third comment post.... I'm # 5. where is the HATE ? Are you suffering from something we should all know about?

Read all the Cortex threads... The negative objectivity of this board is almost embarrassing.

TaylorMade, Callaway and Ping are the 3 ugly sisters and little Cortex wants to go to the ball!
  • mrmikeacmrmikeac Members Posts: 365 ✭✭
    I just think it’s hilarious how much attention this club has been getting. If the M series drivers and the Flash were to be released right now, this thread would be on the bottom of the list. I wouldn’t even worry about testing this club until the other OEM’s release theirs in a couple of months, then go ahead and test them all against each other. For now, no sense in dropping $500 on a club that is "just as good"
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus, 10.5 Degrees set at 9.5, Weight Neutral, Tensei Orange 60 Gram Stiff
    3 Wood: Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero, HZRDUS Smoke 70 Gram 6.0
    3 Hybrid: Ping G410 19 Degrees, Tensei Blue 80 Gram Stiff
    2 Iron: Taylormade P790 UDI, Project X HZDRUS Black 85g 6.0
    5-PW: Taylormade P760’s, Nippon Pro Modus Tour 120 Stiff
    50 Degree: Cleveland RTX 4, 10 Bounce, Mid Grind, Black Satin, Nippon Pro Modus 125 Wedge Flex
    54 Degree: Cleveland RTX 4, 10 Bounce, Mid Grind, Black Satin, Nippon Pro Modus 125 Wedge Flex
    58 Degree: TaylorMade Hi-Toe, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Putter: 34” Scotty Cameron Phantom X #8 
    Ball: Taylormade TP5
    edited Dec 1, 2018 #57
    mrmikeac wrote:

I just think it’s hilarious how much attention this club has been getting. If the M series drivers and the Flash were to be released right now, this thread would be on the bottom of the list. I wouldn’t even worry about testing this club until the other OEM’s release theirs in a couple of months, then go ahead and test them all against each other. For now, no sense in dropping $500 on a club that is "just as good"

AND when the other OEMs s release theirs at $500, the same ones B....... now won’t say a word!! I be I could get an old G15 from my spare bags and it’ll hold its own. I do own the Cortex and so far like it. As I said in an earlier post, it benched my Rogue that I’ll hock for something else I really don’t need but oh well.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • radimanradiman Members Posts: 4,638 ✭✭
    boggyman wrote:

mrmikeac wrote:

AND when the other IEMs release theirs at $500, the same ones B....... now won’t say a word!! I be I could get an old G15 from my spare bags and it’ll hold its own. I do own the Cortex and so far like it. As I said in an earlier post, it benched my Rogue that I’ll Hock for something else I really don’t need but oh well.

You mean the OEM's that have demo heads available? With multiple shaft options to dial in? The same OEM's that have a track record of proven performance in the driver space?

Why is it so hard to fathom that Wilson has a huge perception issue to overcome?
    Callaway Epic Flash 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    Titleist 917 F3 15* Tensei Pro Blue 70 TX
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 54, 60, 64
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,848 ✭✭
    edited Dec 1, 2018 #59
    He bags Wilson irons so I'm guessing there's some money changing hands with Wilson for some gentle reviews. As well as him being ON the informercial/TV show and collecting a nice check for that as well. He may very well love it, but he's got a lot of monatary incentive to as well.
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
    edited Dec 1, 2018 #60
    radiman wrote:

boggyman wrote:

mrmikeac wrote:

AND when the other IEMs release theirs at $500, the same ones B....... now won’t say a word!! I be I could get an old G15 from my spare bags and it’ll hold its own. I do own the Cortex and so far like it. As I said in an earlier post, it benched my Rogue that I’ll Hock for something else I really don’t need but oh well.

You mean the OEM's that have demo heads available? With multiple shaft options to dial in? The same OEM's that have a track record of proven performance in the driver space?

Why is it so hard to fathom that Wilson has a huge perception issue to overcome?

It’s not hard to fathom they have a perception to overcome. Never said a word about that. All I’ll say is this, bar none their products are as good as anything out. Like it or not. They don’t promise blind consumers 17 yards one year and then say, oh, these irons are another 10 yards per club longer the next. MAYBE you will get the point. Not trying by no means to start a pudding match.It’s well known that their marketing sucks. Yet they remain on a 2 year cycle unlike most with new products. Sure, they need more presence with their demo stuff and fitting carts. If people would , if available, just try their products maybe the light would be shed a little more. On a final note, why would people put all their faith in a review by one man alone to make their minds up on a product? If you, and I use “you” as a whole, put ones fsith in that alone. That’s very blind indeed. Enjoy the rest of your day.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,393 ClubWRX
    edited Dec 1, 2018 #61
    uscgolfguy wrote:

Current pulse...

I wonder who started this thread?

Keeping track of stats for a thread you start and then touting them is, well I can't decide between weird or borderline creepy.

Edit: creepy probably not, I'll just stick with a little weird, but have fun watching the clicks

I don't hold Shiels' success against him at all. I'll admit I watch him a lot less than I used to, just not as much going on with his content last few months that is for me, but still keep tabs - seems like a good guy, has a great family, more power to him.
    Post edited by Unknown User on